[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NES Aspect Ratio Wars / Quest for the perfect picture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3487.png (89KB, 854x840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3487.png
89KB, 854x840px
Hey /vr/,
I've been on the lookout for the correct aspect ratio and resolution for a very long time now and can't say I've found conclusive information on what is the definitive picture when playing NES (emulated).

I know the NES has an internal resolution of 250*244 or something like that, but that is stretched to 4:3 when outlut to a TV. Overscan may or may not have been a consideration. Tile sets, art planning and stuff like that may have differed on a game by game basis making pixel perfect output the 'intended' look.

I really don't know where to go from here. Pic related. I want to have a little retro library on my 3DS, though I'm mostly interested in the first Zelda on NES.

Apparently Nintendo chose 284x240 for NES VC emulation which is neither pixel perfect nor actual 4:3. I really have no clue anymore. Sure, on my first (ever) playthrough it 'lookd fine' but I want accuracy (on 3DS).
>>
>>3806574
4:3.
>>
>>3806574
if your shit is hacked you can download vc injects with whatever res you want

my fucking problem is that the pixels on my screen shimmer each time the pixels moves on my screen, usually on dark backgrounds. its distracting and I don't know how anyone can play like that

is this something about N3DS screens or what?
>>
>>3806625
Care to elaborate?
>>3806630
It is hacked and that's what I plan to do. But after reading through threads on gbatemp, reddit, looking through the nesdec wiki and forums; I really don't know where it's at.

As for your problem, maybe you should turn off ghosting/DarkEnable or something like that? Though that's only a wild guess. Which game are you having this issue with? Can't remember that being the case for me with Zelda 1.
>>
>>3806658
Castlevania 3, really noticeable every I move the background looks like it shakes.

where can I turn off settings like that?
>>
>>3806708
You'd have to have a hacked 3DS. Either use injection or create a .cia file from your installed title. Either way you'll end up with a .cia file. Decrypt it and edit the config file I believe.
>>
>it's a "babby tries to understand how TV's worked" episode

The correct ratio is 4:3. Retro games weren't designed with fixed-pixel, non-4:3 displays in mind.
>>
>>3806732
/thread
>>
>>3806754
Well, alright.
How do I achieve that on 3DS?
>>
>>3806574
If you hold select while the game is starting up, it'll be at a resolution closer to the original.
>>
File: 1394473829885.jpg (17KB, 600x552px) Image search: [Google]
1394473829885.jpg
17KB, 600x552px
>>3806757
>how do I download more ram

The fucking screen is the part that's the problem and you can't replace that easily.
>>
>>3806630
If the screen shimmers then the resolution is set wrong.
Idk about NES games, but for SNES and Genesis games, some of them run at 320x224 and others 256x224.
Some even use both resolutions for different parts of the game!
>>
If you don't display with 8:7 rectangular pixels, you are doing it wrong.

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Overscan
>Multiplying the pixel rate by the scanline length gives 39,375,000*6/4/11*640/(135,000,000/11) = 280 pixels per scanline. The PPU puts signal in 256 of these and a border at the left and right sides. The color of this border is the same as the backdrop color (usually the value in $3F00). This makes the pixel aspect ratio on a 4:3 TV to be 240/280*4/3 = exactly 8:7, or about 1.143:1.
>>
>>3806847
Is that why Sonic 2's screen bunches up a little bit in special stages? That was driving me nuts after I noticed it.
>>
Graphics were, with a few rare exceptions, made on graph paper with a square grid.
>>
File: img006.gif (77KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
img006.gif
77KB, 500x350px
>>3807104
Nintendo used rectangular-pixel graph paper
>>
>>3807104
Maybe in some startups or budget studios. Once the tooling for a console was established, spriting was all done directly on a PC.
>>
>>3806818
It's not the best screen but there's enough room to work with.
>>3806860
I think they use some kind of filtering/blurring to emulate that.
>>
>>3806574
I think you can hold down Select while you select the game (and the game is loading) to make it pixel perfect in the 3ds, it works for DS games but never tried with a virtual console one.
>>
>>3806574
>playing Mega Man 6

I found your problem, chief.
>>
>>3807407
Not with NES games.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.