[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you got stuck here, you were the retarded kid on the block.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 25

File: 1165123710472bv4.jpg (29KB, 500x507px) Image search: [Google]
1165123710472bv4.jpg
29KB, 500x507px
If you got stuck here, you were the retarded kid on the block.
>>
>>3806407
lol fuck off i rented the game and the whole weekend got wasted on that part...
>>
Me and two of my friends were all stuck on this part for like a week I think. They're not dumb guys either.
>>
>>3806407
It was ONE GUY who talked once about getting stuck there as a kid, and somehow everybody on the internet read his post and pretended they got stuck too, so they could be "epic" and react with manufactured illegitimate frustration. It's baffling
>>
>>3806480
see
>>3806431
>>
>>3806480
The AVGN effect. Everyone wants to be in on the meme of getting mad at certain games.
>>
>>3806407
No one got stuck there. This has to be a meme.
>>
File: puto barril.jpg (356KB, 3000x1641px) Image search: [Google]
puto barril.jpg
356KB, 3000x1641px
>>
I was stuck there because jumping made sense and seemed to work. Pressing up and down makes no sense.
>>
File: 003.jpg (71KB, 750x376px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
71KB, 750x376px
>>
File: thousands.png (177KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
thousands.png
177KB, 500x499px
>>
File: jump again it'll work.jpg (41KB, 200x199px) Image search: [Google]
jump again it'll work.jpg
41KB, 200x199px
>>
I never had any problem with the barrel. Sandopolis Act 2 was where I got hung up in S3&K.
>>
I never go stuck there because I played other platform games too, and pressing up/down is often used to enter rooms or jump off of platforms. And if a certain object prevents you from using regular controls, that often means that it may just have a different set of controls you have to figure out.

The Sandopolis 1 boss was way harder to figure out for me, as well as anyone else I knew who played the game.

>>3806518
>pressing up and down to move up and down
>makes no sense
>>
>>3806564
>>3806536
Sandopolis in general is just a terrible, terrible zone.
>>
>>3806407
why is this a thing? i owned the game growing up and beat it several times without having any issues on this stage. sure the stupid things going up and down were a little annoying but no more annoying than falling in a hole in mario, or misplacing a piece in tetris.
>>
I had lots of trouble with the boss of Act 1. Not this barrel, though.
>>
>>3806407
If you even had a Genesis you were the retarded kid on the block.
>>
>>3806568
It had some of my favorite music in any video game, including modern games.
>>
>>3806568
It's just too long and easy, and that takes out all the fun from it. But the same could be said of the majority of the zone in S3&K.
>>
>>3806568
>>3806536

Agree. The single flaw on an otherwise perfect game
>>
>>3806407
>tfw retarded
feels bad
>>
I bought Sonic 3 for $50 at a Blockbuster on a Friday night and fished it before I had to go to bed. I cried the next day.
>>
>>3806735
Dude I got sonic 3&K and beat it the first time I sat down to play
>>
>>3806564
This. I wasted one, and only one, life on this barrel until my video game senses kicked in and I tried holding down. Sure, it was totally cryptic and kinda bullshit that it was just used in that one part of the game for no reason, but it should've been far from impossible for a halfway competent gamer to best.
>>
>>3806735
Lol I did the same thing with DKC2. I felt bad for beating it in one marathon setting after getting it for my birthday
>>
I want them to reference this in Sonic Mania.
>>
>>3806578
The only other object in the 2D sonic games that moves with you when you go up and down is the plane in Sonic 2.

Sonic 2 was my first videogame at age four. I'd played 1, 2, and Knuckles a TON as a kid, but we lost the genesis and all of our games when the storage bill wasn't paid. I'd only played the first level of 3 at a friend's house.

I picked up a copy of Mega Collection for gamecube at 16, flew through 1 and 2. I got to this part and was able to keep jumping up and down to get the barrel to move and sneak Sonic under there but it ended up taking so long that the time ran out a bit later in the level.

It's stumped so many people that I no longer feel bad, but why in the fuck would pressing up and down to move it without jumping even occur to me to work? None of the switches in Sandopolis or any kinds of shit besides Tails plane works like that

I'm still mad
>>
>>3806828
>was able to keep jumping up and down to get the barrel to move and sneak Sonic under there

lies

the barrel doesn't go any further down after a certain point

why would someone tell lies on the internet like that
>>
>>3806730
I played Mario too. I always just preferred Sonic. Mario was boring to me.
>>
File: 06.png (5KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
06.png
5KB, 256x224px
>Up/down makes no sense!
Have you never played a game with elevators before?
>>
>>3806852
It's a floating barrel though, not an elevator.
>have you never played a game with floating barrels before?
No. No, I haven't.
>>
I got past he barrel by jumping on it while holding down. Apparently that's good enough. I never thought about it again after that.

What really fucked me up were the infinitely vertical scrolling sand slides in the Sandopolis pyramid. I had no idea what the fuck I was supposed to do there.
>>
>>3806868
>tfw jumping + holding down works because while you make contact with the barrel after each jump the barrel goes down ever so slightly
fuck wish i had at least thought to jump and press down at the same time
i know for a fact jumping alone does not make it go down enough to get past it
>>3806828
maybe that's what this guy was doing and just doesn't remember. this makes sense now
>>
I got past this part with a mega fire controller I bought only for this.
>>
>>3806890
Wow. I can't believe I forgot I even had one of those.

Needless to say, I got it after I beat this. I can't even remember how I ended up figuring it out. I think someone must have told me.
>>
>>3806858
It's a thing you stand on and it goes up and down. It's not a big logical leap.

Or did you need a text box to tell you what to do there?
>>
>>3806895
You are making me feel retarded. Don't do that. It hurts my feefees.
>>
>>3806852

up and down makes no sense because is a mechanic you use one time, and if you previously jumped on the barrell you wont notice at all it works.
>>
>>3806908
Did you skip the cut scene that explained that one of Sonic's superpowers is telekinesis?
>>
>>3806838
>>3806881
I was probably mashing all sorts of buttons on that first attempt to be honest
>>
That behavior still pisses me off to this day.
>I'm stuck
Try everything. Every single one of the buttons. Then try holding the buttons. Then try combinations of buttons.
>Still nothing
Then you haven't done what I told you.

Fucking hell.
>>
>>3806407
I never understood how people couldn't figure this out. People are just bad at video games.
>>
>>3807467
>>3807449

you idiots dont understand. You could figure out that up/down could move the barrell, but not that easy when you have to do it multiple times on a sequence thats never used before and never pointer out anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XeBgeN5uG8&t=1s

If you think thats not bad design, tell me why the designer himself make an apology about the barrell
>>
>>3807661
>jap speak
>>
>>3806808
They will
>>
>>3807698
>being an EOP.
>>
File: tumbleweed.jpg (108KB, 500x253px) Image search: [Google]
tumbleweed.jpg
108KB, 500x253px
>>3806407
>>3806564
>>3806852
Name another Sonic game where you are blocked from proceeding and *have* to provide vertical inputs to move something
>>
>>3807797
I got something here you can perform vertical input on
*unzips dicks*
>>
>>3807805
that Mario needs a power up mushroom before anything can be done to it
>>
>>3807797
The parts of Sonic 2 where you have to press up to latch onto the monkey bars or vines.
>>
>>3807813
I recall those being automatic. Just jump into them and you snap in place.
>>
I think the real question is, how could you have fixed it? What could have been done to convey better to the player that you had to press up and down?
>>
>>3807818
Put a sign next to it with glowing up and down arrows.
>>
>>3806908
>up and down makes no sense because is a mechanic you use one time, and

There's a part earlier in the level where you have to move the barrel to a certain height to continue.

And all the others where you can use it to reach hidden spots in the game.
>>
>if you got stuck here, you were a part of the "the barrel is bad game design" timeline, as opposed to the "no one got stuck and everyone is lying" timeline

Edited for accuracy
>>
>>3807816
Definitely not for the monkey bars.
>>
>>3807864
You pressed left and right on those.
>>
I think the people who got stuck here were kids under 6 playing the game, which are most likely the people posting about it being impossible.
>>
File: STIMPYS_TINY_BRAIN.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
STIMPYS_TINY_BRAIN.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
>>3806407
Definitive list of down syndrome memes
> dude water temple lmao
> dude Sonic 3 barrel lmao
> dude cape lmao
> SNES only had JRPGs
> PSX only had JRPGs
> Ocarina of Time is the best game of all time
>>
Why would you even think of pressing up and down? It's a floating barrel, not an elevator, and jumping clearly moves the barrel up and down. The game clearly presents to you one possible option to pass that obstacle, by jumping repeatedly with the correct timing. It is possible to actually accomplish this, but it's really difficult. I've done it a few times but usually I don't have enough time afterwards to beat the level without a Time Over.

If the barrel didn't move when you jumped on it, I would naturally press every button and soon figure out that you press up and down. But instead the game leads you off-course with the red herring of timing your jumps, which is why so many people never thought to press up and down. When you have tons of trouble getting past, the natural thing to think is that you keep fucking up your timing, not that you're actually supposed to use a totally different set of controls.
>>
File: images.jpg (2KB, 73x94px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2KB, 73x94px
>>3806858

uh, wut?
>>
>>3808053

don't forget the
>Super Mario Bros is fukkin hard
>>
>>3808074
For the record, it's not like I was stuck on this for *years* like people on the internet meme it to be. It's definitely a bit exaggerated. But I think all the people who say "I'm so smart if you couldn't figure it out in 5 seconds you are dumb" are exaggerating too. In the end it was just a kind of BS obstacle that took a bit too long to figure out and had a pretty stupid solution that perhaps should have been changed in testing (all they would have needed to do is place a little up/down arrow sign near it or something). It's no huge game breaker that totally stopped progress or anything like that, though.
>>
>>3808091
That's vegetable-tier meme
>>
>>3807797
Sonic and Knuckles. Mushroom Hill zone has those hanging lifts where you have to press down to pull them up.
>>
>>3807909
You had to press up to latch on. Also had to press up and down to navigate the plane.
>>
File: 1480450658572.png (171KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
1480450658572.png
171KB, 500x381px
>>3806407
I literally never had a problem with this part and had no idea it could be challenging to anyone until a number of years ago when this meme took off on the internet.

>>3806425
>>3806431
>>3806518
>>3806605
>>3806718
>>3806828
>>3807797
>>3808074
>>3808095
You're officially retarded. This barrel should be a college entrance exam, because it seems to be much more effective at measuring IQ than anything else I've seen.
>>
>>3808161
Is there an area where that is mandatory, though? There was always an alternate route.
>>
>>3808295
Get this:

I figured it out when I was a kid but when I replayed the game recently (but before the meme took off) I got stuck on it.

Chemtrails are real.
>>
>>3808295
If it creates a conversation about whether or not it's a bad gameplay device, it is. Shut up Tails.
>>
File: 1405467125231.gif (720KB, 360x420px) Image search: [Google]
1405467125231.gif
720KB, 360x420px
>>3808324
>man I hated this puzzle because I could figure it out despite the way to solve it is incredibly simple. I mean, there are literally only 7 inputs on the controller and I couldn't figure it out
>that must mean it's bad
>because I couldn't figure it out
>despite the solution being simple
>>
>>3808335
>implied to be a jumping obstacle because you can get the barrel to move increasingly faster
>3 of those inputs do something that incorrectly looks like the solution
Sonic, your stage isn't very intuitive.
>>
>>3808335
I didn't know Sonic 3 was a puzzle game.
>>
>>3808359
It was intuitive enough for everyone who wasn't a moron

>>3808381
>game has a puzzle
>hurr durr it's a puzzle game nao
>>
>>3807661
Everyone in the thread who said it's just a forced meme that never actually happened to anyone should watch this.
>>
>>3808391
>absolutely no indication of what to do with a new mechanic
>"It's not bad design! It's a puzzle!"
I agree that it really isn't that big of a deal, but I'm pretty sure it was overlooked rather than deliberately designed as a puzzle, in which case it's a shit puzzle anyway IMO.
>>
>>3808414
>it's bad design that has become an iq test
compromise
>>
>>3808381
Sonic is a game that gives immediate, recognizable feedback. The barrel did no such thing.
>>
>>3808074
>usually I don't have enough time afterwards to beat the level without a Time Over.

definitely the hardest I've ever thrown a controller
>>
File: 1473671269880.png (84KB, 322x268px) Image search: [Google]
1473671269880.png
84KB, 322x268px
>>3808414
>pressing down to go down and up to go up is a new mechanic
lmao@ur_life
>>
>>3806838
>the barrel doesn't go any further down after a certain point

Clip through it. Easier with Super Sonic
>>
>>3807797
any knuckles section with climbing
>>
>>3807818
I would make it so that jumping actually works
>>
>>3808480
Solved
>>
>>3807836

You could get through it by jumping
>>
File: Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog%203[1].png (316KB, 852x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog%203[1].png
316KB, 852x768px
This was annoying if you had Tails with you and you didn't know the solution.

Tails would start jumping like a mother fucker and just ruin any visual clue of up and down having an effect.
>>
>>3808414
Yeah, it's pretty much padding for releasing half a game.
>>3808468
>names elements from a game that came out after S3
>>
File: 1429551580564.jpg (186KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1429551580564.jpg
186KB, 1280x720px
>>3808541
>Yeah, it's pretty much padding for releasing half a game.
Are barrel shitters actually this retarded? A literally 2 second segment is padding for releasing half a game????
>>
>>3808593
It's 2 seconds if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>3806491
Not sure how many people on here hate him but I've been getting into his show a whole lot lately and the episodes really do make me wonder just like his catch phrase.

What were they thinking?

It is unbelievable what logic must have been going through these old developers heads making all these bad games. I almost feel like many times they were overthinking what should have been simple shit. The controls is the biggest thing. That should never be hard to grasp. Yet so many old games had awful controls.
>>
>>3808593
>my anecdotal evidence is better than your anecdotal evidence
Chuckle at this cuckle.
>>
>>3808714
Please. Explain to me how a barrel is padding for an entire game and how you're not a complete moron.
>>
>>3808787
It's the shortest (half)game in the series. Explain how one person finishing a part in 2 seconds is a valid judgement for everyone, cuckle.
>>
>>3808840
It has just one zone less than the original sonic. It only feels like half a game compared to 2.
>>
>>3808186
>You had to press up to latch on.
No it's auto. You could press down to fall though.
>>
>>3808840
Explain how a barrel is padding for an entire game, moron.
>>
>>3808074
>Why would you even think of pressing up and down?

Why would you even think of pressing left or right when you want to move left or right?
>>
>7 inputs on a controller
>they can't figure out how to press down to go down
If you complain about the barrel you are legally retarded
>>
>>3806407
I never owned the game, only rented it, and I think that was as far as I got before I had to bring it back.
>>
>>3808309
>Is there an area where that is mandatory, though? There was always an alternate route.

At the end of zone 2 (right after the last hidden super ring, before you reach the boss), you have a slope pointing upwards, and one of those vine lifts next to it. You have to use the vine lift to move upwards because even with maximum spindash you cannot blast off the slope high enough to reach the upper platform. Using the lift is mandatory there.

>>3808482
>You could get through it by jumping
No, the platform is too high up, you have to move the barrel high enough to get past.

>>3807797
Sonic 2 has a part in Metropolis, where you got a platform on the left with spikes on the ceiling, a pit, and a conveyer belt with the industrial presses on top that slam down at intervals. You cannot pass that area by simply jumping and running because the only way to jump over is to jump from the very end of the ledge (so you don't hit the spikes above), and you don't have enough space to build up proper momentum. You jump on the other side, the presses will kill you before you can move.

There is one single way to pass that trap, and that is to use a max charged spin dash, which charges up so much speed that you can blast over the hole in the ground without jumping, and you can get past the presses before they slam down again. (Supersonic can run over without spindash, but that thing goes from zero to max speed in a third of a second)

There is not a single part in the game that requires you to use the spindash in such a way, to run over a hole, or to get past some timed insta-kill trap.

I was stuck there longer than I was at the carnival barrel.
>>
>>3808053
>dude water temple lmao
It's pretty great nowadays. It's a good dungeon with a couple of dirty tricks.
> dude Sonic 3 barrel lmao
As a kid, a pain in the ass, because it leads you astray with jumping. If it didn't move at all when you jumped on it, I think everyone would have figured it out.
> dude cape lmao
I don't know this one.
> SNES only had JRPGs
Nobody says this.
> PSX only had JRPGs
Not true, but a majority of its best games were JRPGs
> Ocarina of Time is the best game of all time
It's a pretty fuckin' good game.
>>
>>3806407
A friend and I did it wrong by timing our jumps to push it up and down. We were the right kind of retarded in that moment.
>>
>>3809042
>it,but wrong
>>
>>3809040
Ironically, I think they made it so that it moves when you jump on it precisely to suggest to the player that it can be moved down (but not by jumping)
>>
>>3809042
That's kinda cool. I played with friends and we never had that idea. We did do a lot screaming and yelling at this part though.
>DO THIS
>NO DO THAT
>FUUUUU
>>
>>3809049
>I think they made it so that it moves when you jump on it precisely to suggest to the player that it can be moved down (but not by jumping)
Then they shouldn't have made it move by jumping. The fact that it was rotating showed that it was an interactive element of the environment.
>>
>>3809089
It also gains velocity to suggest you keep FUCKIN JUMPING
Not to mention simply tapping up or down doesn't have a noticeable effect
>>
>>3809097
This is the problem. It immediately responds to a rudimentary mechanic of gameplay, but does not immediately respond to the actual solution, which is never used at all, previously or again in the entire series.

I won't call it the worst game design I've ever seen, but for a series that was overall pretty top-notch, it's kind of stupid.
>>
Only dumb kids got stuck there, end of story.
>>
>>3809108
>>3809110
this may never stop being funny to me
>>
>>3809108
There is literally 7 possibilities and you couldn't figure it out. That makes you dumb as hell, I'm sorry.
>>
>>3809154
>>3809112
t. an underage fag who didn't play the game until 2000 when gamefaqs was a thing
>>
>>3809208
It was the 90s and I wasn't retarded like you.
>>
File: lemonface.jpg (31KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
lemonface.jpg
31KB, 500x375px
>>3809154
>tap down
>nothing happens

not the guy youre quoting but youre right i guess i am a retard because as a child i could not figure this out

or am i?
>>
>>3809217
>tap down
>nothing happens
Pick one. This is really sad that you can't admit a simple segment of a platformer that could only have seven possibilities completely stumped you.
>>
>>3809217
>tap down
>nothing happens
Once again, this is the problem. Most people jumped onto the spinning drum because the spinning seemed like an indication that the drum was interactive. When you jump on it and it moves, it seems like that's what you're supposed to do, especially when each jump moves it MORE. If the drum didn't move at all, I would have immediately assumed there was some other solution, and I would have tried ducking or looking up or whatever.

That said, I didn't own the game back when I was a kid, so I'm not a good gauge for this scenario.
>>
File: your face when.gif (478KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
your face when.gif
478KB, 500x348px
>>3809220
it stumped me, but you have to be literally deluding yourself so you have some edge of false superiority over other people to say it was intuitive

yeah, shit dude, the game got me, but it's not a situation where the game was trying to be hard. it was just bad design.

if it got literally just me, yeah, ok, i'd be dumb, but it's clear it's not great design if it stumped so many gosh diddly dang people
>>
>>3809229
>if it got literally just me, yeah, ok, i'd be dumb, but it's clear it's not great design if it stumped so many gosh diddly dang people

The difference is that you played it when you were 7. The faggots who think it was easy played the game on the Wii virtual console after they read about the barrel on a Kotaku article.
>>
>>3809229
>this simple segment stumped me
>it's bad design
This is the problem I have with you. It's literally a platform that moves down when you press down. Stop blaming other people, you just suck.
>>
>>3806407
if you got stuck here your controllers down button was broken.
>>
>>3809231
Ironically, I was 7 when I played the game. It's pathetic to watch you assert that anyone who did better than you only did it decades later.
>>
>>3809236
>it's pathetic to watch you assert that anyone who had trouble was a retard
See, I can do it, too.
>>
>>3809238
>See, I can do it, too.
Except you can't. You're making up and forcing a fictional scenario to validate your inadequacy while I'm simply pointing out that you couldn't solve a problem that involved pressing down to make a platform go down. Yours is fiction, mine is fact.
>>
>>3809239
>You're making up and forcing a fictional scenario to pretend to be superior while I'm simply pointing out that you're lying about not using gamefaqs to circumvent poor game design. Yours is fiction, mine is fact.
>>
I actually did make it past the barrel by jumping on it (and then timed out) so I just figured I was expected to get really good at jumping on the barrel.
>>
>>3809227
>each jump moves it MORE
There is really no good reason for it to do that if jumping isn't meant to be the mechanic by which the barrel is to be moved. It at least should have moved down only so far and no further.
>>
>>3809254
This right here. It reacts when you jump on it and moves down, why the fuck wouldn't I keep trying to jump on it?

I'm tempted to say the kids that PASSED that part are retarded for standing on it and pressing up/down.
>>
>>3809326
>There is really no good reason for it to do that if jumping isn't meant to be the mechanic by which the barrel is to be moved
I feel like maybe they thought the physics were impressive, but didn't realize how misleading it was.
>>
>>3806852
Oh I get it. The people that didn't get stuck at the carnival was link fags. That's explains why they act all high and mighty on this topic
>>
>>3806519
LOL
>>
>>3806407
The real retards are the ones posting in this thread. Including me
>>
>>3809609
>I'm tempted to say the kids that PASSED that part are retarded for standing on it and pressing up/down.

This is how strong your persecution delusion is. Absolutely pathetic.
>>
>>3809049
That's probably just to give it some initial momentum, because you can only make it go further up/down, you can't actually start its movement with the d-pad only.

It's like a swing on the playground. You start it up with your legs, then you position yourself to increase the momentum.
>>
>>3809108
>never used at all, previously or again in the entire series.

So if a game does something not used previously, you automatically get stuck and can't rub two brain cells together to try something different?

How did you figure out jumping in Super Mario Bros?
>>
>>3809960
According to him, the snowboard segment in Ice Cap zone is bad because Sonic never snowboards again.
>>
>>3809974
You also can't get past the Marble Garden 2 boss with Tails, because you never require to kill an enemy using his helicopter rotor before or ever again.
>>
>>3809979
Don't forget those pesky wheel things from marble garden zone used to open doors. How could anyone know you're supposed to spindash on them???
>>
>>3809960
>>3809974
>>3809979
>>3809989
>trying to drown the argument in terrible comparisons
Not one of those situations traps the player with a seemingly working solution while having a completely different genuine solution.
>>
>>3810007
>he still can't fathom pressing down to go down after jumping for 3 minutes doesn't work
R E T A R D
>>
>>3810007
Marble Garden 2 boss with Tails gives you 0 working solutions unless you know that you can do damage with Tails' tails.
>>
>>3810014
>after jumping for 3 minutes doesn't work
Except it does work.
>>
>>3810084
Well you can't do anything from the top, so try the bottom.
>>
>>3806407
>these entire thread
A fucking circlejerk of holier than thou people that think because they got past a barrel in a Sonic game that they are better than other people. This is why no girl wants to touch your shriveled up dick.
>inb4 triggered
>>
>>3808449
No, the barrel is the new mechanic.
>>
>>3809249
The 4chan equivalent of repeating the last thing the person you're arguing with said in a baby voice.
>>
>>3810014
If it actually didn't work, I'd agree with you. But it does work, it's just extremely difficult and takes ages. So it's not unreasonable to think you're just shit at jumping, rather than realising there's another solution.
>>
File: 1474678611419.gif (1MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1474678611419.gif
1MB, 500x375px
>>3806407
>Green Gibbon! hasn't been active online in nearly 15 years
>>
File: crouchdash-1[1].jpg (1011KB, 1920x992px) Image search: [Google]
crouchdash-1[1].jpg
1011KB, 1920x992px
Fact:

The barrel is the retro equivalent to this
>>
>>3811575
Never post this garbage fucking game ever again. Thank you.
>>
>>3811653

It's only a garbage fucking game when you are the retarded kid on the block. Also just get good. hurr
>>
>>3811620

Here's your (you), congratulations on finding it in another shitpost.
>>
>>3809040
>dude cape lmao
I guess it means how with Super Mario World lots of people say you can just fly over everything.
>>
>>3811668
Nice bait. It's not retro either. Kindly off yourself.
>>
I got stuck on this part for like 5 minutes as an adult, and I have a masters in a stem field.
The mechanic is just out of place.
>>
>>3806908
That entire shitty game is mechanics you use one time. Really why I think it's the worst Genesis Sonic game.
>>
>>3811825
>I did my homework, mommy
>that means I'm like suuuuper smart
>but I couldn't figure out how to press down to go down in a puzzle with seven input possibilities
>It's the game's fault
>>
>>3810318
>Well you can't do anything from the top, so try the bottom.

Well jumping does not work so try pressing the d-pad.
>>
>>3811863
>Who cares if you do rocket science, if you can't quickly grasp this unintuitive mechanic you're an idiot
>It's not poorly designed, everyone is just stupid!
Go to bed Yasuhara.
>>
>>3811896
>I quickly grasped it
>My seven year old self is superior to your grown ass stem waste of space
It's literally pressing down to go down on a controller with seven possible inputs.
>>
Even if "jumping seems to work," making you think you're doing it right, your gaming instincts should tell you that if something is that awkward, tedious, and difficult, there's another way to do it.
>>
>>3811896
>unintuitive mechanic

If you can figure out how to work a swing on the playground, you can figure out the barrel in sonic 3.
>>
>>3806407
I never got stuck here, but it did take me longer than I care to admit to figure out. It's still bullshit, since none of the other barrels in the level act that way, but it's probably not as people make it out to be.
>>
>>3811984
So you're encouraging the jumping physics
>>
File: okay.png (22KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
okay.png
22KB, 275x200px
>>3810014
It works, and give you visual cues that encourage you to keep doing it.
>>
>>3808664
Games up until ten years ago still had awful controls
>>
File: sonic-sez.jpg (60KB, 357x332px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-sez.jpg
60KB, 357x332px
>MUH 7 INPUTS
>3 of them actually do something correctly, albeit taking way longer
>>
>>3812085
Jumping does not solve it. Stop confusing your bouts of pressing down while you jump as a jumping being a solution. If you feel that I'm wrong, you're welcome to post video proof of the inputs you use while getting past that part via jumping.
>>
>>3811930
Yes anon, Sonic 3 has been used to measure people's intelligence for decades now, Mensa adopted it even.

>>3811984
>If you understand regular physics you can obviously understand Sonic 3's physics
U wot
>>
>>3812146
>My name is anonymous and I couldn't figure out an incredibly simple puzzle in a platformer that at worst would require me to try out seven possible inputs
>but I'm totally a smart person, believe me
>>
>>3812185
>Took me 5 minutes
>Couldn't figure it out
Now you're just being an idiot who can't even read.
>>
>>3812284
>it took me half of the time limit to figure it out
>but I'm stem guise I'm the future
>>
>>3812293
It's badly designed. You spend a good chunk of time jumping on it as it seems to work until you realize you just have to do up/down.
You don't have to believe me if you want, but you're seriously a dense idiot.
>>
>>3812067
>So you're encouraging the jumping physics

You don't jump around on a swing, you push yourself with your legs once to give you an initial movement, then throw your weight around to keep it up. That's literally the same thing as what you do with the barrel.

>>3812146
>U wot

One of the reasons Sonic became popular is that it had very realistic (for its time) momentum physics.
>>
>entire game uses physics based platforms
>only time when physics do not apply are mechanics in which the physics do not affect the mechanisms (hanging off of things)

When the barrel nearly hits the bottom using the physics and jumping, it''s misleading you. There's no feedback for holding down either unless you do it for an extended period of time.

It responds to you doing it wrong, and it uncharacteristically doesn't respond to you solving the puzzle correctly. Even if you are very quick to pick up on how to do it, you're probably going to have wasted some time jumping on it because it is obtuse. It isn't worth defending.
>>
>>3811984
You're full of shit. No one just "figured" the swing out as a four year old or whatever your parent told you to extend and retract your legs.
>>
File: qswnKZG.png (2KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
qswnKZG.png
2KB, 256x224px
>>3812380
>You spend a good chunk of time jumping on it as it seems to work until you realize you just have to do up/down.

You spend a good chunk of time just almost being able to jump over this pit, always failing, until you realize you have to use the Turbo button. Nowhere else in the game do you need to use the turbo button. It's badly designed.
>>
>>3812380
>You spend a good chunk of time jumping on it
Well you may have, but that doesn't mean everyone did. Get over yourself, Einstein. Your stem degree can't shield you from your own stupidity involving a barrel in a platformer.
>>
>>3812394
>Not running the entire time you're playing a 2D mario
>>
>>3806407
I think if you like sonic in general you're the retarded kid.
>>
File: Noob_bridge.png (7KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
Noob_bridge.png
7KB, 256x223px
>>3812394
Wrong, everyone runs all the time in Mario because the game only has two buttons and what they do is obvious. Everyone knows from the start that you jump longer while running.
Now, here is the example you could have posted faggot, an actual section of a game where people had problems because of what you said.

>>3812398
Just fuck off. You couldn't design a game properly to save your life. I bet you're one of those faggots that think NES Zelda entrance to Dungeon 9 is completely fair when the game is played without anyone telling you, either friends, the manual, or the internet.
>>
>>3812538
Dungeon 9 is completely fair, and I don't see why you're omitting the manual since it's included with the game.

A better example would have been Zelda 2's hammer, which the game teaches the player can break boulders, but never also teaches them it can knock down trees.
>>
>>3812394

>Calling the run button turbo button

When actual NES controllers had turbo buttons, how did you fuck this up?
>>
>>3806407
Can't be retarded kid on the block when we were too smart to go the Sega route over Nintendo in the 90s
>>
>>3812607
How is it fair? You need to bomb a random wall, unless you somehow deciphered the vague as fuck spectacle rock hint some old man gives you at some point (the manual hint actually tells you that spectacle rock means those two rock formations).
I don't think games should rely on their manuals to convey how to progress, at best how to play. But mostly I say it because the manual for Zelda says you should use the whistle to get to it, which is wrong. There's an additional maps and strategies booklet that has the correct aforementioned hint on where to find the dungeon, along with another bunch of spoilers. I don't even know if the Jap manual had the same info.

I never bothered to play Zelda 2, since everyone hates it.
>>
>>3812538
>Just fuck off. You couldn't design a game properly to save your life. I bet you're one of those faggots that think NES Zelda entrance to Dungeon 9 is completely fair when the game is played without anyone telling you, either friends, the manual, or the internet.
MUH AD HOMINEM

Let's look at the facts

There's a barrel in Sonic 3. You have to press down to make it go down. Didn't figure that out? Well there are seven inputs on the controller. So even if couldn't figure it out, it's easy by way of trial and error. But you found it so hard that you're bitching about it on an imageboard 20 years later (assuming you aren't some underage faggtron)

Conclusion: You're fucking stupid, bro.
>>
>>3812735
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You don't understand the first thing about game design. Your argument is garbage as it doesn't take into account what the player knowns, how the barrel reacts to the other inputs, as well as how a ridiculous amount of people got confused. There's really nothing to discuss at this point, as you're acting like a dense retard, so I'll just call you a dense retard.
>>
>>3812752
Oh my god, you are so mad.
>DAWG HAVING THAT BARREL MOVE DOWN WHEN YOU PRESS THE DOWN BUTTON IS BAD GAME DESIIIIIIIIIIGN
>>
>>3812764
I'm not mad, you're just retarded.
>>
>>3812764
It is bad game design though man. How is Sonic controlling that barrel?
>>
>>3812770
it's been said already

sonic has telekinesis (if he can turn super saiyan you should expect him to have that power too)

anyway it's bad game design that you should feel retarded not to have been able to figure out
>>
File: Sonic and Knuckles & Sonic 3003.jpg (129KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic and Knuckles & Sonic 3003.jpg
129KB, 640x480px
>>3807836
There's one of these Barrels in act 1, it's pretty much one of the first one's you come across if you take the lower path. (See picture)
>>
File: 1290848394148.jpg (371KB, 562x900px) Image search: [Google]
1290848394148.jpg
371KB, 562x900px
>>3806407
>nothing else in the game requires the use of up and down for interaction
>it reacts to jumping
>earlier in the stage it is simply used as a trampoline
>you could in fact bypass it with expertly timed jumps

Yeah, this was bad design.
Just because some figured it out doesn't change that.
>>
Truth be told, I only learned that level was such a big deal when I started browsing /vr/.
>>
>>3806407
I agree it was bad design, but honestly I never had trouble with it. I played Sonic 3 for the first time on Sega Smash Pack for Windows 98 when I was like 10, I tried jumping at first and it didn't work so I just thought hey it moves up and down, why not try pressing up and down with the rhythm? I've done it in other non-sonic titles before. I don't understand why people had so much trouble it and then get frustrated/angry when people say "oh I just thought of pressing up and down". Why does that make you angry that someone just thought "barrel moves up and down, how about I press it too"? The most common response is that you never do that before in the game, but so what? When something obviously doesnt work, you try something new, even if it seems odd/stupid. You don't just call the game broken or continue doing the same thing endlessly expecting, a different result to happen. I didn't need GameFAQs, I just tried something else and it worked. I don't see the difficulty in that and I dont understand the anger at those who tried it. Its just common sense to try something else if something isn't working even if it seems retarded to do so, because then you narrow down the solution further if that also doesnt work. If you refuse to try something new and can't understand the reasoning of why you would do so, there has to be something fundamentally wrong with your basic problem solving skills.
>>
>>3813706
>I don't understand why people had so much trouble it and then get frustrated/angry when people say "oh I just thought of pressing up and down".

I don't know where you're coming from with this. I usually see people who admit to having had difficulty with it and then being called a 'retard' for it.
>>
>>3813545
Not only that, but there is one where it leads to a place too high up and you'd have to resort to pushing up and down on it. But, with my case since I always usually had all seven Chaos Emeralds by then I could just clear it with Super Sonic.
>>
>>3813545
>>3814328
Also further on the topic. I once tried someone's trick to get through. The trick was just use Bubble Shield and rapidly bounce your way through. It worked. It makes sense, but it is also seemingly risky. If you get pinched between the wall and the barrel you'd probably die.
>>
>>3814321
right here my friend
>>3808074
>>
Bad design is a bad design, no matter if you managed to figure it out or get over it.

People calling others retarded for not figuring out are the ones missing a chromosome, since they are unable to understand that whether one could or could not figure it out is not an issue here.
>>
>>3806808
They reference it in LEGO Dimensions.
>>
>>3815323
>he was too retarded to figure it out
>>
File: 1446166425130.gif (1MB, 540x276px) Image search: [Google]
1446166425130.gif
1MB, 540x276px
>>3808593
>>
>>3815323
it was a bad design.

literally never in any sonic game was this mechanic required for any puzzle to advance past. they literally just threw it at you and didnt use it for the rest of the game.
>>
>>3806407
i got so pissed at this part. jump. JUMP. JUMP. JUMP. tails? JUMP
>>
>>3806407

I really was stuck there, my dad was watching me play and he was frustrated as well. We called the Sega hotline and the person on the line told us what to do.
>>
>>3815323

Are you a retard apologist?
>>
>>3816713
Sega hotline eh sounds comfy
>>
>>3809232
And it's the only one in the game.
>>
>>3806480
when people say "baffling" and "insufferable" on the web I can't tell if they are joking
>>
>>3812383
What?
>>
>>3812735
>Seven inputs!
>Forget the fact that you never use two of the inputs for controlling the environment and that the obstacle gives you a visual cue that jumping, the way that you've negotiated these obstacles throughout the entire last game, all of this game and all of the rest of the game, is the way forward.
>>
>>3812764
>SINGLE INSTANCE OF IT HAPPENING THROUGHOUT TWO GAMES WITH NO PRIOR INFORMATION, HINT AND INDEED COUNTERINDICATION THAT DIFFERENT MECHANISM IS WORKING.
>PERFECTLY VALID GAME DESIGN.

It's like walking up to a door, feeling it budge when you push against it, and expecting people to think "I need to crouch down to get this to open!"
>>
>>3816753
>seven possibilities
>can't figure it out
>"b-b-but I didn't think to use those because blah blah"
Yes. That's why you're retarded. If nothing else works and you just keep trying the same things over and over then that's just plain stupid.
>>
>>3816758
When I'm stuck on a jumping puzzle in other platformers, I don't start pressing select multiple times in the hope that a portal appears. Yet that would be a valid response to a jumping puzzle in your mind.
>>
>>3816758
It's a platformer game though. Repeated attempts at jumps and obstacles is how you progress through the game.
>>
>>3816758
>Stuck on a boss in an FPS.
>Hmm, I can't seem to get past this boss, despite the fact that it's giving me an indication that my strategy does work.
>Better start crouching and jumping around the place to activate a pit to let it drop down! After all, it's a control input!
>>
>>3816675
One thing I tried to do was try and use Tails on the second controller in conjunction with Sonic to increase the depth of the barrel.
Thread posts: 218
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.