[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the original DKC have the best graphics? After replaying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 435353.png (118KB, 499x432px) Image search: [Google]
435353.png
118KB, 499x432px
Did the original DKC have the best graphics? After replaying them again it's something I've come to consider. DKC1 seems to have the most dramatic, vivid coloration. I notice the colors in the other games tend to be a bit more "static" and washed out.
>>
I assume by your vague context you mean the best graphics of the DKC trilogy?
>>
>>3804761
Just beat this game the other day, I crave more and will look into buying DKC2.
>>
>>3805035
I was a genesis kid that gen. Held on for years that genesis was the superior console.

I've played a LOT of games since then that steered me in the other direction, but it was DKC2 that I played in 2012 that showed me the grievous error of my ways.

Damn near the best 2D platformer ever made famalam, you're in for a treat
>>
I agree. The textures in DKC definitely feel more tropical
>>
>>3805083
I think the Genesis does some things better than the SNES, and vice versa, this is mostly in reference to certain genres and demographics.
But I'm really excited to play DKC2 and maybe even DKCR for Wii if I want more Dong in my life.
>>
DKC is a beautiful game, the other games in the trilogy can look nice too but not to the extent the first one did, save for one or two moments.
>>
>>3804761

Yes, I think you're right. I also hold DKC to be the best of the three overall.
>>
They went for a progressively more cartoony look through the franchise.
>>
DKC 1 had the best graphics.
DKC 2 had the best gameplay.
DKC 3 had the best what?
>>
>>3805298
DKC3 had the best graphics and gameplay. People only shit on 3 because it wasn't as edgy as 2.
>>
>>3804761
>>DKC
>>graphics
>>not talking about the OST

You done goofed OP. If there's one thing that game excelled in, then it must be the music. Even after 20 years it's still as great as it was back when it got released.

The rest of the design (levels, graphics, bonuses ...) don't really hold up compared to later games.
>>
>>3804761
I disagree. While the original's color palette is great, I feel it too often has that weird plastic-y CGI look to it, while DKC 2/3 look way more natural and refined.
>>
>>3805346
>People only shit on 3 because it wasn't as edgy as 2.
Congratulations, I think that's genuinely the worst usage of the word "edgy" I've ever seen.
>>
>>3805346

When a Donkey Kong game is unironically being described as Edgy I think it's clear that the word's true meaning has been officially lost.
>>
>>3805346
>>3805346

As other anons stated, that's not what edgy means.

I agree that DKC3 gets a somewhat unfairly treatment compared to DKC2 but hey, what can you do? All three games in the series are worth playing anyway.
>>
I'm playing through DKC2 right now and I am amazed at how leaps and bounds it is better than DKC. Some ways in aesthetics but overwhelmingly in game design.

Why does DKC get so much attention compared to the later games? It should get credit for being a decent start to the franchise but overall its a very average platformer. It took me a long time to get around to playing the later games since the first one left me so unimpressed.
>>
File: diddy-im-disappoint.gif (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
diddy-im-disappoint.gif
53KB, 500x500px
>>3805346
> DKC3 is the least popular one by a fucking parsec, therefore I can project the illusion of enlightened discernment by claiming it's actually the best one

That just feels like a silly automatic contrarian pose, anon; volunteer some argument to back it up at list.

Most people feel the collectathon sensibilities unnecessarily bring down the flow of the game in comparison to the minimalistic approach of the rest of the series (the unique-gameplay-bosses don't help either) and the general design and level gimmicks are less inspired. The visuals are pretty obviously superior on a technical level, but the new character design approach feels less interesting. Some of the environments look awesome though
>>
I like DKC2's palette best. The darkness helped hide the glossy plastic look and made the worlds feel deeper. Sort of like how Sunsoft games and other late NES games used negative space to make scenes more expansive.
>>
>>3805346
DKC3's only saving grace was having the best 2D platformer overworld ever.

Other than that I thought it had way too many gimmick levels. It's like Rare was already having ideas for Banjo and DK64 missions and tried to shove them into a 2D platformer. It doesn't help that DKC3 was the 3rd DKC in 3 years and came out after Super Mario 64.
>>
>>3805407
What's the difference between level "gimmick" and level "concept"? The former term seems to carry built-in negative connotations, so there's often little explanation as to why it's supposed to be a bad approach.
>>
>>3805421

The point of the term gimmick is that the ideas are more simplistic novelties rather than fleshed out concepts.

To give an example use of the term, shoot-em up sections in games which are normally either a platformer or 3-D action game are usually gimmicks since their purpose is to be a novel change of pace without carrying the game. A game can be described as 'gimmicky' as a whole when it is over reliant on a collection of novelties or overly dependent on one simplistic novelty mechanic rather than stronger underlying level or game design. 3-D platformers with an overabundance of minigames are often an example of gimmicky games that overly depend on novelty rather than core mechanics.

I hope this description helps.
>>
>>3805428
Thks. I reckon though people tend to overly rely on the word as some kind of pre-packaged argument, without really considering when it actually applies.

I wouldn't call the per-level new gameplay elements of the DKC series gimmicks, in general; they usually build upon existing gameplay, and make the individual levels more memorable.

Even control scheme shifts like the minecart levels are only accents and not particularly aberrant; I'd compare them with the underwater levels in the original Super Mario (which I'm sure is not usually considered a gimmicky game). The special boss battles in DCK3 are another matter; those I did see as utterly pointless and novelty-grade (and DK64 is a nine-ring hellscape on its own in that respect)
>>
>>3805421
All 2d platformers have level gimmicks. Go read Reverse Design Super Mario World and it'll show you just how gimmicky every platformer in the world is. That's it's core feature.
>>
File: treetoptowndetail.jpg (119KB, 951x295px) Image search: [Google]
treetoptowndetail.jpg
119KB, 951x295px
I think DKC3 has the most impressive and variated graphics, but DKC1 had the best art direction.
The atmosphere on pic related is just incredible.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.