[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

text reading in games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

Do you bother to read text in games?
mostly talking about RPGs
>>
yes, especially on my first playthrough
>>
>>3804082
1st time, yes. Other times, absolutely not.
>>
>>3804082
why would you play an rpg and not read? thats kind of the point
>>
>>3804082
No, I fumble through all games with no idea of what I'm doing or where I'm going like the massive fucking dunderhead I am.
>>
File: 1419783458950.png (218KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1419783458950.png
218KB, 600x480px
>>3804082
OP, are you trying to tell us something?

Being illiterate's no joke.
>>
>>3804082
If you're asking this question, then you should really just stick to action adventure games.
>>
I do indeed read when I play RPGs
just curious mostly what other people did
>>
>>3804082
Actually, in talking RPG, I tend to read faster than the hero talk and end up cutting them mid-sentence.

>>The world is
>>> OK got it. Press X
>> We got to...
>>> Read Press X
>>> Read Press X

I am not used to listen to RPG because most of the time they aren't dubbed in French (my language) so the dub is just a decoration for me.
>>
>>3804103

Then why play RPGs at all?
>>
>>3804082
No, my secretary reads it for me. I can't read, big deal big whoop.
>>
>>3804082
Yeah. I don't play cutscene/text heavy RPGs though because they suck.
>>
This thread reminds me of my roommate from way back.
Dude skipped through most of the text and ended up complaining the game made no sense.
>>
File: Magic_of_Scherezade.jpg (29KB, 250x342px) Image search: [Google]
Magic_of_Scherezade.jpg
29KB, 250x342px
>>3804103

weeeelllll, not neccessarily. If story is one end of a RPG and the other side is character-building and battling there is a lot of room to go either way. Of course you can enjoy one side more than the other (or even both).

One could argue that if you only play RPG for the story why not just read a digital book (or comic if you like the visuals), which also has the opportunity to press a button to proceed.

On the other hand, without a story you could just as well play some deformed idle-game/ statistic game, where instead of pushing a button for attack just click until something is dead and reap the earnings.

Personally, I like a good mix of both - It's what pulls you in. But I must admit that having an option to skip text (if you died and have to reread/ playing for second time) should definately be implemented, nothing more frustrating than waiting for that cutscene you've seen x times to finally end.
>>
>>3804082

Yes. Because I don't have ADD.
>>
>>3804210

Why the fuck do you have a fucking prepared speech for this? Jesus Christ.
>>
>>3804284
Took me frigging 30 secs to think about it and write this... Not rocket science sheesh

Or maybe I'm a essay prodigy... Let's go with that
>>
File: 1387917499288.jpg (86KB, 908x601px) Image search: [Google]
1387917499288.jpg
86KB, 908x601px
Not at all,I actually prefer.

Reading > superb voice acting >>>>>>>>> mediocre voice acting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shitty voice acting
>>
>>3804103
You haven't met my 15 yo nephew. He plays jrpgs all day long and barely reads anything. He only cares about leveling up. I think his dopamine centers might be fried
>>
>>3804294
>Not at all, I actually prefer it.
Fix'd.
>>
>>3804105
i laughed, but then i realized that without knowing where you're supposed to go, you wouldn't know to go everywhere else first.

on average, you'd only be fumbling around at half efficiency. this is unfortunate.
>>
I used to play Japanese games despite not being able to read them, using brute force to solve puzzles and the like.
It's a stupid thing to do. I should have started learning kanji a lot earlier instead of wasting my time with that crap.
>>
>>3804284

Some people are just naturally wordy. Read a book once in a while. I swear twitter bullshit has killed people's... wordy..ness
>>
Of course I read the text, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do.
>>
>>3804082

Always try to fine every inch of something someone wrote in every game, I always talk to everyone until they've exhausted their dialogue and will run through town a second time later to see if anything's changed.

>Not reading text in RPGs

What the fuck, play a different genre.
>>
>>3804082
Yes. This is how I'm able to play games without walkthroughs and crying on the internet "how was i supposed to know that???" Also I'm not a ADHD spazlord so there's that.
>>
I'd like to believe this thread is bait, but I know multiple people like this irl...
>>
>>3804082
>>3804103
I lived RPGS as a kid.
I loved talking to as many NPCS as possible and learning more about the game world and story.
Until I played Xenogears.
I stopped reading any of the text about half way through the first disc.
>>
>>3804715
I should ammendt this by adding that I stopped reading the text for several reasons...
1) I realized that the game was extremely linear
2) Most of the dialogue was totally redundant
3) I didn't give a shit about any of the characters.

Not reading didn't get from the experience at all. In fact it enhanced it.
>>
>>3804082
I don't even... I can't imagine playing an RPG and ignoring the text. It's just bizarre, prime example of playing a game wrong.
>>
>>3804294
let me fix that for you

Reading>>>>Superb voice acting>>>So bad its good voice acting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mediocre voice acting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shit voice acting that isnt shit enough to be good
>>
>>3804082
There's no point of playing an RPG if you're not going to read text and to be honest, I don't think you can't even play most of them without reading anything because they tell you what to do or sometimes even how to play the game.
>>
>>3804735
I dropped the game because at times you just had to talk to everyone to progress. I read what characters said because maybe they will say something important. Right? I mean there wouldn't be any other reason the game is forcing me to talk to everyone.
>>
>i'm too lazy to play this game
>i'm going to have my servant play it for me
makes sense
>>
>>3804125
Same
>>
File: 1487042211565.jpg (13KB, 261x192px) Image search: [Google]
1487042211565.jpg
13KB, 261x192px
>>3804204
Yeah...... some people need euthanization
>>
>>3804662
But anon what's the point of video games if you have to read?
>((((Just incase)))) I was joking!
>>
>>3804082
I did when I was younger
>playing Grandia
>town of people changes dialogue after a little story advancement
felt good. nowadays I only talk to people as a last resort, JRPGs kill me because talking to assholes is the only way to trigger flags to continue
>>
Ive played a lot of RPGs and find that the structures can he quite similar so I do skip through most of the text, half the time I dont bother reading as most stories are very samey. I can find it boring and just look for key words for where to go next. Grinding and finding stuff is more fun! Who needs to read eh?
>>
>>3804082
>Do you bother to read text in games?
I can't help but read, anon. It's my first instinct to. Why aren't you reading what's going on in your games?

I'll only skip it if I played the game already.
>>
>>3804082
Uh story is one of the biggest draws of RPGs, considering they consistently tell the best ones of all the video game genres, so why the hell wouldn't you read the text?
>>
>>3804105
i don't know if this is a joke, but i really do that.
>>
>>3804715
>I stopped reading any of the text about half way through the first disc.

You stopped reading exactly when the plot began moving.
>>
>>3804082

Of course, anon.

The whole point of a rpg is to read everything, especially since it's how you have to advance
>>
>>3809640

For some rpgs this would seem to make playing the game at all entirely moot. For example with games like FFVI or Chrono Trigger, why in the world would you bother playing the game if you aren't going to read the text? The mechanics themselves are pretty barebones and barely stands by itself. Do you just really enjoy selecting attack+magic for dozens of hours?
>>
I learned how to read super good by playing JRPGs like star ocean 2 and ff7

I also talk with every NPC to get all the dialogue I can whenever I play a jrpg now
>>
>>3804082
>Do you bother to read text in games?
>mostly talking about RPGs

I love it. Reading leaves for more imagination.
>>
>>3804103
I played FFVII and Star Ocean II about 15 times as a kid and I read about 1/2 of them, and I didn't even understand what I was reading.

"Why" you ask? Brace yourself, because it was fun. Yes, it was fun to go around and find secrets and explore and battle and build up my party and be rewarded for scouring every inch and secret I could find. I had a lot more fun playing those games having never really known the intricacies of the story than I ever had playing story driven RPGs. Though I would painstakingly talk to and read everything every NPC would say, more than once, because I got so much joy out of uncovering secrets.
>>
>>3804125
>>3809524
And this is why voice acting in games is a mistake. Impressive 20 years ago, but now it's pointless, and usually just sounds bad anyway.
>>
>>3804082
Who doesn't? Probably just ADHD millenials.

I tend not to read text in modern vidya because it's usually pointless and redundant, because my next objective is typically spoonfed to me with a big arrow and a waypoint anyway.
>>
Its pretty good, but annoying if the typography is bad
>>
>>3815405
I'm a millennial by some definitions (1995), have ADHD, and I love RPGs and VNs. Your broad generalization is false.
>>
File: 1397249204729.png (70KB, 161x169px) Image search: [Google]
1397249204729.png
70KB, 161x169px
>>3815475
>my existence proves a generalization is false
No.
>>
>>3815405
This autistic ranting is how "millennial" and "gen-z" became considered slurs at work, and resulted in someone getting written up for it more than once.

Know what? I could've stopped it in its tracks but I decided not to because tit-rattlers like yourself annoy me more than the muzzies do.
>>
>>3815543
Chill out, millennial. Nobody's trying to trigger you.
>>
I've never thought NOT to read the text actually. It's directly tied to the games overall experience. Might be fun to try but I think I'd lose interest with just a jrpg if it's gameplay is all I'm relying on
>>
>>3815475
You say you have ADHD because you're an attention whore. If you mom would let you wear a fake cast you'd do that instead.

>>3815549
Millennials are self triggering these days. Seriously. They actually trigger themselves with their own "white privilege" and shit like that.
>>
File: 1470467642525.png (330KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1470467642525.png
330KB, 480x600px
Who the fuck doesn't read text in games? Why the fuck are you even playing them? What the fuck is wrong with this fucking board? Every time I come here it's 12 year olds saying the most cringeworthy shit.
>>
>>3815402
>EOPs

KYS
>>
>>3815549
I'm thirty-seven.

Yes I'm shitposting on 4chan in my thirties.
>>
>>3817223
>I'm thirty-seven
Maybe in dog years
>>
>>3816849
>she sees your penis
>>
>>3804082
only in zelda games
>>
>>3804082
I have to every single time. Can't miss even one word.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.