[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FFVII Beacause Translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: puppet_PS.png (1KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
puppet_PS.png
1KB, 320x240px
Just started playing FFVII with the Beacause translation and so far I'm liking it.

There are a couple of minor things that I would have liked to keep (like phoenix down are now called phoenix tail) but the improvements in dialogue make up for it.

There are also a few other changes like character names being in yellow and item names being coloured depending on their type. These are extremely minor but do liven up the interface slightly.

What does /vr/ think of retranslations of games like this?
>>
I'm always in favor of playing original translations for games I played as a kid. Even if they are technically Inferior translations to modern equivalents. FFVI in particular. The Woolsey translation is just so much more charming than the newer ones.
>>
I'm always in favor of playing games in their original language.
>>
>>3803350
I agree to an extent but have no justification for it other than muh nostalgia. Not that there needs to be justification for it as such but it is hard to argue one is better than the other.

>>3803409
It's funny how /vr/ and /lit/ are the same in a lot ways.
>>
>>3803460
>It's funny how /vr/ and /lit/ are the same in a lot ways.
Pretentious and generally unlikable?
>>
>>3803463
And obsessed with things that most people have never heard of.
>>
>>3803409
>tfw can't read nip
>>
>>3803342
no puppet. no puppet.
you're the puppet.
>>
>>3803471
You can learn it.
>>
>>3803350
>The Woolsey translation is just so much more charming than the newer ones.
I AGREE! FULL OF CHARM! MOMMAS AND NICKELS!
Keep eating shit all you want, just don't tell others eating shit is "charming".
>>
>>3803350
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11867.0
I suggest you read what comes after "The main argument I see against sticking with canon is this:". Also, this is the link to the translation in the OP in case anyone's interested.
>>
>>3803342
>FF7 retranslation
>retranslation

What retranslation? They literally re-wrote the script and made up a bunch of shit as they went along. There was absolutely no translation from Japanese. I don't think anyone who participated in this hack even speaks a single word of Japanese.
>>
>>3803514
>more accurate, more intelligent

When your head is so far up your ass you can't listen to reason anymore.
>>
>>3803547
I'm not familiar with this particular project, but that's my main problem with a lot of retranslations you run across.
>>
>>3803547
> I don't think

Apparently not.
>>
>>3803547
Examples? Don't say shit like that and leave us hanging.
>>
>>3803548
>more accurate, more intelligent

>“But don't forget that you're meat is hired by Avalanche now.”{NEW}
>>
>>3803576
He's not going to justify that because it's complete bullshit. I don't care for the retranslation but I know the guy doing it at least knows Japanese.
>>
>>3803547
>>3803580
Come on now don't run, you have to deliver.
>>
>>3803585
They say it themselves.
>What this project isn't:
>A literal retranslation from the Japanese (aside from certain names and items etc as mentioned above).

What proof do you have of his Japanese skills?
>>
>>3803603
Well his lead translator did pinky promise he lived in nihon!
>>
>>3803603
meaning they're not just doing a 1:1 kanji to english word conversion
i'm gonna need you to show some proof of your English skills if you didn't understand that
>>
>>3803603
According to the forum post the translator works as a Japanese translator and has a degree in Japanese.

It's not exactly uncommon for people to speak both Japanese and English and be interested in Final Fantasy. Twenty minutes on /vr/ and you're made to feel like a pleb for not being fluent in Japanese.
>>
>>3803616
>i'm gonna need you to show some proof of your English skills if you didn't understand that
A bit unfair when the translator himself doesn't seem to be showing much of it, what with all those grammer mistakes on his posts.
>>
>>3803631
>grammer
lmao
glass house ass bitch
>>
>>3803603
>>3803609
Stop being an autistic samefag. There are several people who worked on the project who know Japanese. It's just not a 1:1 translation of the game like that Chrono Trigger project a few years ago.
>>
>>3803618
But the ones knowing Japanese aren't interested in translating. They'd tell you to learn it yourself if you asked.
People with little to no Japanese skills are interested in having translations hence why you get rephrased machine translations, rewrites of existing translations or pure guesswork.
>>
>>3803661
You think there isn't one person who knows both Japanese and English and would be interested in this project?
>>
>>3803661
>But the ones knowing Japanese aren't interested in translating. They'd tell you to learn it yourself if you asked.
way to project the fact that you're a real piece of shit onto everybody else on the planet

maybe instead of just assuming it's bad, you could find a fault in the work and post an actual critique or shut the FUCK up already holy shit
>>
File: 1450424450022.png (3MB, 2068x2176px)
1450424450022.png
3MB, 2068x2176px
>>3803686
I'm not going to download the game and patch it just to show you.
Here's a shitty translation if you want one.
>>
>>3803701
Well that's cleared all that up.
>>
File: 1466800683386.gif (169KB, 500x375px)
1466800683386.gif
169KB, 500x375px
>phoenix down are now called phoenix tail
>down as in feathers
>mfw I only just realised this
>>
>>3803701
How the fuck do people get away with this shit?
>>
>>3803996
Who is supposed to find out? Most people don't read translations and raws side by side.
>>
>>3804028
True, but if the ``translator'' can fuck up a page of extremely simple dialogue that bad, even an EOP should eventually notice that something is terribly wrong.
>>
>>3803661
I'm both a professional translator and I translate games in my spare time. You're at least wrong about one person.
>>
>>3805170
Professional translators are held in low regard as well.
>>
>>3805249
By who?
>>
>implying the normal english version is bad
>implying you don't into "you spoony bard"
cynical and elitist. stupid scenes like that and sheeras goddamn tea are what give these games charm 20 years later.
>>
>>3805386
> charm
>>
>>3805368
4chan and others.
This thread should already be an indication.
>>
>>3805249
>Professional translators
No such thing in the vidya industry.
>>
>>3805478
Professional as in getting paid for translations.
>>
>>3803342
>There are a couple of minor things that I would have liked to keep (like phoenix down are now called phoenix tail)
If you want the retranslation without the autism and more consistency with the official English localization there's:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21697.0

This is my biggest problems with retranslations, the need for overbearing """accuracy"""
>>
>>3805772
IIRC, that one is still unfinished because the dude is waiting for the other dude who did the PSX version to do the PS1 version more but he's waiting on the dude who did the PC version to release the last version which I guess is R06 or whatever.
>>
>playing sperglord-autism-mods
why
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.