[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_5543.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5543.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
What went wrong?
>>
Aged as poorly as your mom.
>>
>>3801532
You need to actually try to be nice to people sometimes. Can you manage a full paragraph without choking on your own blind constant hate?
>>
File: disgustedbobbyhill.jpg (19KB, 615x456px) Image search: [Google]
disgustedbobbyhill.jpg
19KB, 615x456px
>>3801549
>Banter is now blind hate
>>
>>3801527
It's a JRPG.
>>
>>3801553
Not him but random weak ass shitposting isn't banter, it's just boring noise. You shouldn't be proud to be parading around acting like a child.

>>3801527
I think it was all in the marketing. They didn't emphasize enough that it wasn't meant to be a direct sequel so many people were left disappointed. I actually like it better though.
>>
File: rude jester.png (94KB, 381x353px) Image search: [Google]
rude jester.png
94KB, 381x353px
Why is she so perfect?
>>
>>3801561
>I think it was all in the marketing. They didn't emphasize enough that it wasn't meant to be a direct sequel so many people were left disappointed.
this

i genuinely enjoyed it. a game isn't automatically considered bad just because it isn't as good as another game. "it wasn't as good as chrono trigger" isn't a valid criticism.
>>
>>3801561
>>3801628
good posts u guise

great OST but still somehow underrated, it's crazy what mitsuda managed to squeeze out of the chip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ILhJCr60A
dat slidin
>>
>>3801527
Technically nothing. It received high praise at the time of release, and it sold well enough to earn a re-release under Sony's "Greatest Hits" label.

It took a while for people to realize that it's a pretty mediocre game with a shit story and shit merit as a sequel.

Eventually, people started memeing that it was always hated, and underages like >>3801561 and >>3801628 started believing it's some kind of hidden gem that earns you cool points for playing.
>>
>Plot is obnoxiously, and meaninglessly, convoluted
>Even though it's not a direct sequel to Trigger, it still has some important connections. It probably should have been either a direct sequel or completely unrelated, and this contributes to the plot being annoyingly complicated
>Holy SHIT there are SO many playable characters and almost all of them are irrelevant and it probably would have been better to just have 3-6 significantly more developed characters than ~40 nobodies
>>
>>3801640
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-IJvyAayzA
>>
>>3802264
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA9-cK7hnrY
>>
>>3802271
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gH-Oc5M3fQ
>>
>>3802292
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8I-YGF1QA
>>
>>3802304
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJYCU63mjg
>>
>>3802308
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XsXfL9-x_c
>>
>>3802314
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wADrZNACx-o
>>
>>3802320
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehGz2UASqtI
>>
>>3801527
trigger niggers are hipster trash and cant enjoy something different.
>>
I bought trigger on release and thought it was a really good jrpg. I also bought Earthbound and was disappointed it had the dragon quest first-person battle style because I like seeing my party from a side view using their weapons. But I liked the game in spite of that.

When CC came out I bought it and had a lot of fun because the battle system was cool, the graphics were way better than FFVII, and there were tons of party members like Suikoden. Then I discovered usenet and rpg forums and realized the internet was full of crazy autistic people who cared way too much about their video game opinions. And then I became one of them in a decade of horrible mental decline. I still like CC just fine, though.
>>
>literally 10 FPS on battle maps
>it even drops huge amounts of frames on the field map, where it is doing nothing but displaying a 2D backdrop with some polygonal characters superimposed on top

Unplayable garbage.
>>
>>3802472
What PS1 games should I play with 60FPS 4k?

Oh right...
>>
>>3802339
cross cucks are hipster trash who enjoy shit games
>>
>>3801527
Basically? It was a sequel to Chrono Trigger. That's pretty much it. If the story was its own thing and didn't have to tie into the previous game, it could've been a lot better. Plus, it had pretty good graphics for the time, cool art direction, a great soundtrack, and a unique battle system.
>>
>>3801640
IMHO this is the best OST of all time. The game itself is a solid 7/10 if you ignore how terrible of a sequel it is, but suffers from going off the deep end and coming apart at the seams near the very end of the game. The soundtrack, however, is GOAT.
>>
>>3801527
The tie in to Chrono Trigger isn't obvious, the story is somewhat confusing and a little incredible, the two dimensions mechanic doesn't really fit a time travel theme, and the 40 characters didn't allow for strong character development, unlike CT where literally every character is badass.

That being said, it is a technical masterpiece graphically. The art and music are top notch. The battle system is actually really good once you get the hang of it (too bad the game isn't very challenging). It's a fun game.
>>
>>3801532
Please, we're grown-ups here at /vr/. He we insult each others wives.
>>
>>3801527
FF8 Syndrome: it's a game that I disliked on pretty much every level after a certain point in the game, but the story went so full retard that I kept playing just to see if the trainwreck could get any worse. I lost my shit after they introduced Robo in a dialogue dump just to kill him within it.
>>
>>3802339
The irony in this post JFC
>>
>>3802459
>Then I discovered usenet and rpg forums and realized the internet was full of crazy autistic people who cared way too much about their video game opinions. And then I became one of them in a decade of horrible mental decline.
i appreciate these moments of self-awareness on /vr/, though
>>
>>3801527

I really enjoyed Cross. Its biggest problem is that the battle system is kinda obtuse for such an easy game. It's like they wanted a lot of strategy to go into choosing what spells to give to your party but there's no point.
>>
No Yujo Hori, no Akira Toriyama, too much Masato Kato
>>
>>3805132
Took the words right out of my mouth. For my 15th birthday I got this game and Legend of Dragoon. I opened CC first but was so bewildered by the battle system, I dropped the game after 25 minutes and swiched to LoD. It wasn't until a few months later I tried CC again and forced myself to learn the battle system, after which I enjoyed the game very much.
>>
>>3801628
Yeah, but how many games back then can you think of that had commercials? I remember watching a shit ton of them. I knew it had a tie in with Trigger, but honestly that didn't matter too much to me, even though I looooove Trigger.
>>
It's boring.
It manages to have playable characters with 2 lines and still be annoying.
The battle system is ass. I don't care how good it could have been, the execution is so poor I thought it was a shitty minigame during the tutorial, and that the real combat would be different.
The soundtrack is great, except for the battle theme, which is so bad it's actually painful to listen to. Incidentally; it's the track you'll be hearing the most.
The story is all over the place and unengaging.

That's why I hated it, anyway. Couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
>>
>>3805132
>>3805156
The battle system is fucking confusing.

Can someone just explain to me the quick way to understand/master it?
>>
File: 1426202864008.gif (3MB, 354x200px) Image search: [Google]
1426202864008.gif
3MB, 354x200px
>>3805241
I don't play JRPGs but I thought the battle system was pretty straight forward. I never understood how people DON'T understand the combat.

>select attack
>pick light/medium/heavy accuracy-to-power swing
>land heavy hit, unlock first 3 columns of skills
>save the last bit of stamina to not end turn
>back out of attack, select element
>my character is blue, enemy is red
>choose a blue skill from column 3
>blow the shit out of enemy
>add blue influence to field effect
>next party member is in turn
>repeat steps and stack more blue skills

There's a lot to type but in-game it's all very self explanatory.
>>
>>3805282
TL;DR Charge magic by fighting.
>>
>>3805136
>no Akira Toriyama
but that is a good thing
>>
>>3805210
>It's boring.
>The story is all over the place and unengaging.
Sums it up perfectly for me.
>>
>>3805282
You just "summarized" the battle system in 11 goddamn steps, and yet you're calling it straight-forward?
>>
>>3805518
>light/mid/heavy attacks give you 1/2/3 magic charges
>hit enemy until you're almost out of stamina
>hit him with a strong magic attack, ideally its weakness
>repeat with other party members
>keep using the same magic element to amplify its power
Better now?
>>
>>3801527
Everything except the sound track.
>>
>>3805675
More than 1 step is still not straightfoward
>>
>>3805705
Guess we can't have straight forward and depth at the same time, CC or not
>>
>>3805705
you're braindead
how's that for straightforward?
>>
>>3805705
>press F to call out a casual and millenial
F

whew, glad this was so straightforward
>>
I think this game would have been much better if it wasn't associated with Chrono Trigger at all. I can't think of a game with a smaller connection to its predecessor. The art direction, gameplay, tone, and setting are vastly different between the two games. The most similarities I see between them are the three character battle system, the games having the same composer, and some convoluted storyline elements that I think drag the game down (more on that later). I would say that there's more differences between the two Chrono games than say Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX even though the former supposedly take place in the same world.

In retrospect, the storyline would have been much better if it had not been associated with Chrono Trigger or even Radical Dreamers. The connections with Chrono Trigger, in my opinion, are not that compelling, and the game loses more than it gains. Yes, I do think the game does shit on Chrono Trigger a bit - asking "What if Chrono Trigger was dark and had REALISTIC consequences to time travel!!!!" is not that compelling to me, and I think it misses a lot of the point of Chrono Trigger.

This game doesn't even do a great job of expanding on Radical Dreamers. Serge's role and personality are quite different between the two games. Kid is Schala but the idea is never expanded upon much or given a lot of thought. Magus doesn't exist in Chrono Cross at all.
>>
File: Mojo.png (270KB, 383x800px) Image search: [Google]
Mojo.png
270KB, 383x800px
>>3805775
>Magus doesn't exist in Chrono Cross at all.
>>
>>3805775
A video game that partially retained some elements from Radical Dreamers and none from Chrono Cross might be a little bit weird. But since Radical Dreamers was an incredibly niche game, I doubt that much people would care. I'm still trying to think of a good way to write the story of Chrono Cross without referencing Trigger at all, but I think it's very possible and would have been fine for most gamers. Whether Chrono Cross would be marketable if it wasn't supposedly a sequel to Trigger is another question.

The characters and storyline need a lot of polish too. Having over 40 characters that had almost nothing to do with the plot and rotted in your party was alright, I guess, and the huge cast is what made me think the game was super cool as a kid. However, I think that would have been better would be having a more tight knit cast of 12 characters, more similar to Final Fantasy VI. The other characters could be sidequest NPCs or they could be combined with other characters. For instance, you could make Draggy part of Karsh's story.

Finally, the battle system has a lot of potential, but it also needs polish. Having only three characters in a battle is absurd. It would have been better if it was 4 or even 6.

I think in general the problems of Chrono Cross is that it had a lot of innovation, but it needed more refinement as well. It tried too hard to be too many different things - a sequel to Chrono Trigger/Radical Dreamers, a game with a moody and mysterious tropical setting, a RPG with a bunch of gimmick characters and an unproven battle system - and ultimately suffered for it.

The big problem is that these problems were only realized in retrospect after 10 or even 20 years of contemplation. But it's sad to see a game with so much potential miss the mark.
>>
>>3805783
Guile was originally supposed to be Magus, yes, but that was cut by the final game. Sure, I guess Chrono Trigger DS changed that, but I'm talking about in the context of the game of Chrono Cross only. If you played the SNES Chrono Trigger and then played Chrono Cross blind, there's no way to prove that Guile is indeed Magus, the brother of Schala and Zeal royalty.

>>3805797
My ideas for a condensed Chrono Trigger cast:

>White: Serge, Riddel
>Black: Guile, Grobyc
>Red: Kid, ?
>Green: Glenn, Radius?
>Yellow: Norris, ?
> Blue: Fargo, ?
>>
>>3805797
>I think in general the problems of Chrono Cross is that it had a lot of innovation, but it needed more refinement as well.
This is probably true, or at least I agree with it, but I also appreciate that fact. I miss the boldness and experimentation of late 90s JRPGs with mainstream appeal. I mean, boldness and innovation still exists and it's not the same as quality or good execution, but it was nice to watch them tackle the 3D hardware and try different stuff. There might a parallel dimension out there where a play-it-safe Chrono Trigger sequel was the best JRPG on the PS and maybe of its generation, but I'm not unhappy with what we got.

>tfw Chrono Trigger 2
>tfw Xenogears 2
>tfw Tactics Ogre 2
>tfw Final Fantasy relegated to fourth fiddle
might've been cool tho
>>
>>3801851
Is Chrono Trigger the prequel trilogy of video games?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.