[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should I play original version or Zero Mission?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Metroid_boxart.jpg (25KB, 211x300px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid_boxart.jpg
25KB, 211x300px
should I play original version or Zero Mission?
>>
Zero Mission.
>>
Zero Mission is great, but it's also basically an entirely new game.

I'd say play Zero Mission first, and if you liked it, try the NES version.
>>
>>3800771
Zero Mission

Original has aged like milk. No map alongside repetitive rooms means you'll be getting lost quite often. Enemy placements can be bullshit at times, health drops aren't nearly as generous as later entries in the franchise, and you respawn from death with only 30 hp, so you'll be doing a lot of hp grinding too. Did I mention that the western releases have no save system at all, and instead rely on a password system? Overall a tedious experience, and should only be played out of historical interest.
>>
You play the original game. Zero Mission has a map inspired by the original game but it isn't like the original game at all.
>>
>>3800793
I don't want to get into the "games aging badly" debate, and I agree later games improved a lot of things, but I think a lot of your points are pretty subjective, not to mention irrelevant when the majority of people are playing on NES games on emulators and mods exist that fix nearly everything you brought up (map, HP, saving).
>>
>>3800815
having to rely on mods and emulators to remedy its problems doesn't mean those problems are irrelevant.
>>
>>3800824
Depending on the person, the game's "problems" are not problems at all. I'm in that camp. Everything about Metroid is deliberate.
>>
>>3800824
At this point it just seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing. There's no "reliance" on anything, plenty of people still enjoy the game without any of those mods.

BUT, if a person believes modding the game with a map, or saving, or better graphics (this one I really don't get), or whatever, they can do that, and it's silly to pretend we're all living in a world without those things.
>>
I would play Metroid first and if it gets too infuriating, beat ZM and return to the original.
>>
Original.

Personally, I hate remakes and remasters
>>
I beat Metroid quite easily by using the NARPASSWORD cheat with no map knowledge. That said I would probably say Zero Mission is fine for a first play.
>>
>>3800771

original. unless you're complete shit at gaming., than go with ZM
>>
>>3800891
>It's 8-bit so that automatically makes it hardcore!

You Nintenkiddies are killing me.
>>
If I were in your position, I'd play the original game first before a remake.
If I'm already interested in a game's series, as in wanna try it out, I usually go from the very first game and play my way in release order.
That way I can see how dramatically accessible a series has become.
If you weren't confronted with a later instalment, you cannot miss a feature of a later game while playing the first one.
>>
>>3800896
I can tell you've never kissed, let alone held hands with a girl in your life.
>>
>>3800771
Depends. Have you already played Super? If yes, I'd go with Zero Mission. If no, then go with the Original.
>>
Zero Mission for gameplay, original for atmosphere.
>>
>>3800771
both
>>
>>3800771
Play the FDS version like a real man.
>>
>>3800771

>>3800840
>>3800942
This
>>
File: 21-metroid-zero-mission.png (87KB, 309x309px) Image search: [Google]
21-metroid-zero-mission.png
87KB, 309x309px
>>3800771
I'd say play Zero Mission first since it's an overall more accessible game. Then, if you liked it, you could give the Disk System-version a try.
>>
>>3800771
Zero Mission is a much easier game but has more variety.

If you crave an old-school NES challenge, go with the original. Zero Mission will not give you t hat.
>>
I recently beat Metroid with the +Saving hack on a pocketnes GBA. The bugs coming out of holes in Kraid's Lair and mother Brain were hardest parts of the game. It hasn't aged well at all, just play Zero Mission.
>>
Some of ZM's Shinespark 'puzzles' to get optional expansions can be challenging, but the main game is easier.

Frankly I think they should have made the Chozo Statues not heal you/refill your ammo on Hard mode, and maybe made the hint system optional, like it is in Prime.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.