[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT retro moments in vidya that were harder than they should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: file.png (432KB, 524x459px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
432KB, 524x459px
ITT retro moments in vidya that were harder than they should be
I suppose it is my fault because even though I got the owl's message, I didn't know who Pols Voice and Stalfos were, I assumed they were bosses so this puzzle threw me off. Probably my fault since I'm not such a big Zelda fan, but still
>>
File: Demon's Crest (USA)000.png (16KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Demon's Crest (USA)000.png
16KB, 256x224px
This is my go-to.
>>
>>3800538
Don't know why this is always posted. This isn't that hard when you have the right technic.
>>
>>3800294
I got stuck at this part and dropped the game for several years as a kid. Once I finally replayed it and figured out what to do I shit my pants in joy.
>>
>>3800294
in the french version the owls says "en premier un lapin et en dernier un spectre" (first a rabbit and a specter last)
>>
>>3800709
cant tell if that would be easier or harder
probably easier
>>
>>3800294
They should have an enemy called /pol/s voice that just shouts "cuck" whenever it moves and attacks by shooting racial slurs at you.
>>
File: goron_dance.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
goron_dance.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
Speaking of Oracle of Ages, fuck this part. Probably the worst minigame in any Zelda.
>>
>>3800294
I forgot about the text hint. "Pols Voice?" wtf were they thinking with that name?
>>
>>3800294
wait until you get to the tower rock dungeon 7 i think and the flame rod dungeon. When I was 10 years old I legit got stuck in the flame rod dungeon for a month. It was something stupid that i missed but Links Awakening was actually very puzzling and difficult when you first play through without a guide.
>>
>>3800294

That part in fuckin Wild Arms where you have to "sneak" out of the King's Castle

I hated that shit. Wasn't so bad when I memorized the patterns and built a rhythm, but I maintain that it's my least favorite part of the game, which is funny because it's pretty much in the beginning.
>>
>>3800294
I don´t know if this cualifies at "hard" but...
FF I is pretty dickhead when it comes to advancing to the next village/dungeon. You clear the dungeon, somebody says a town name and that´s all, find the fucking spot on the map. sometimes even across the sea. I could see the point of feeling like wandering around a big world back in the day, but playing the game today that feels unnecesary tedious and lazy. It´s not like the journey has something interesting like Phantasy Star, here you have nothing to do.
And I´m playing the Dawn of Souls remake, that has some plus dungeons and palatable sprites.
>>
File: file.png (195KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
195KB, 480x360px
>It's another "You have to talk to the guy behind the counter, but it won't work if you do across the counter." level.
>>
File: you-know-what-this-is.png (136KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
you-know-what-this-is.png
136KB, 600x800px
>>
>>3802284
is that sanic?
>>
>>3800294
Yeah I got stuck here for a long time. I think someone at school also had the game and told me what to do because I never knew what Pols Voice and Stalfos were until years after the fact. Like I was playing a different Zelda game where they mentioned Stalfos by name and it clicked.

>>3801818
I got stuck for so long trying to destroy the 4th column in the Eagle Tower dungeon. After I finally did it, the turtle dungeon seemed easy by comparison.

I actually had more trouble with the 8th dungeon when I replayed the game recently. Lots of hidden spots where you have to bomb walls.
>>
>>3802297
you-know-what-this-is
>>
>>3801827
>that chest puzzle in De Metallica

I just gamefagged it. I knew what it wanted me to do but there were so many ambiguities and you had to run through several random encounters every time you wanted to test your answer. I couldn't deal with it.

I also had to use gamefags to remember that I was given a key to open the chest the guardian of life is in
>>
>>3801778
I'm playing this now. All the mini games are shit, and required to proceed. Just got the boomerang and that was a serious bunch of bullshit.
>>
>>3800294
>trying to understand that very same owl message while barely understanding english
I remember asking my aunt, who is a english teacher, what the fuck a "stalfos" was. I can't believe I managed to finish the game, I wouldn't have the patience to do it nowdays. [spolier]Best loz ever[/spoiler]
>>
>>3800294

I was stuck on this room from age 6 to age 11

I was stuck on this room for five years, and I played this regularly.
>>
>>3803578
>played it regularly
the fuck did you do? leave and collect rupees outside the dungeon?
>>
>>3803584

I was six

I wandered around and lived an imaginary life and picked one of the houses that I decided was mine and restarted the game over and over again and tried to see how far I could get without using the sword and made up little narratives in my head for shit

RIP childhood imagination
>>
>>3803592
I did that too. I wish I still enjoyed retro video games like this.
I still do things like this in Skyrim
>>
>>3800294
Same for me. I had no idea what the owl was talking about. Granted, I was in the first grade when I played through that game and had to ask my parents and older brother what a lot of the words meant because I was still learning to read and of course they had no idea what the fuck a Pol's Voice was
>>
>>3800294
"bunny, bat, badguy"
That's how my family remembered this when playing.
>>
>>3801818
Definitely.

Took me almost a year off and on to figure out the pillar puzzle in dungeon 7, and there is some puzzle that always throws me off in the 8th dungeon every time I play through it. Excellent dungeons in LA
>>
>>3800538
Shit is a nightmare.

>>3801778
Fuck. This. Shit. None of that crap would have happened if Aonuma didn't manage to convince the idiots buying the games that Zelda is about puzzles and minigames.
>>
>>3804018
>Zelda is about puzzles and minigames.
It is though. Which is why Ages >>> Seasons
>>
>>3804156
Mini games are fine for heart pieces or other optional things. None of the classic zelda games forced you to complete mini games. Aside from that, the mini games in Ages are not good.
>>
>>3803592
ohhhh ok. No, I feel you.
When I was 10, I got the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for GBC. Well apparently there was a glitch where a required quest item would never appear, and I had spent years looking for it.
I didn't learn of this until years later, and I just went around the school grinding unnecessarily in the meantime.
>>
>>3804416
my nigga
you mean the snake skin?
I had no problem with that, but I remember that game and it´s sequel being pretty challenging (but also good as fuck)
>>
>>3804434
Yep. The Boomslang skin.
For those that don't know, the game is a standard turn based RPG. Well about midgame, Professor Snape puts you on a quest to find 3 ingredients, one of which is Boomslang skin. I don't remember where, but the locations of each item are directly told to you. Issue is there was a glitch with the original batch of games that if you talk to Madame Pomfry in the infirmary consciously (dying and reviving there doesn't count), the item disappears from the game.
>>
I spent so long on the last level of Doom 2 as a kid that the number of corpses would crash the game.

I also got stuck on The Chasm for a long-ass time before that, to the point where I once had a dream about reaching the level after it.
>>
>>3802169

I hate that shit.
>>
>>3800294
>this room.

This. This shit right here. I was stuck on this for about 8 years or something. Even when I did finally get past it I didn't bother to play the game much more of the way through, many a couple more dungeons or so.

Then I restarted and finished the whole of the game last year in 3 days flat.

It was jarring.
>>
>>3802284
Hardest boss in gaming
>>
File: mmx.jpg (106KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
mmx.jpg
106KB, 400x300px
I may be fucking retarded, but my friend had just watched the egoraptor meme video on MMX's tutorial and was dying to tell me about it, so he booted up a ROM and had me run through it. I got stuck on the part where you're supposed to walljump out of the pit because I didn't know you could walljump on the same wall indefinitely; I thought you had to have two opposing walls to zig-zag... like every other fucking game.
>>
>>3806438
If egoraptor thinks something is intuitive and you don't, you may indeed be fucking retarded.
>>
some stupid switch on one of the Tomb Raider games that isn't supposed to be hidden
>>
>>3806473
i fucking hate that part
>>
>>3806473
Which one? The only hidden switches I remember are the one in Bartoli's Hideout for the stone dragon, and the library book switch in Lara's Home in TR3.
>>
File: ndPyizl.gif (11KB, 248x223px) Image search: [Google]
ndPyizl.gif
11KB, 248x223px
I hated this as a kid. My dad was playing and eventually called the Sega tip line. You have to hit A, because if you hit C it'll just tell you there's a hole in the tree, and you need to open the menu to use an item instead.

Simple once you know it, but irritating if you don't. This image is from a thread about it, in fact, so I guess other people are dumb like we were.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.