[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: NES-101-Console-Set.jpg (121KB, 1920x1038px) Image search: [Google]
NES-101-Console-Set.jpg
121KB, 1920x1038px
1. What makes the NES top loader superior to the original?

2. Do you think Nintendo will eventually start producing NES consoles again with the success of the NES Classic?

3. Why is this stuff so expensive these days?
>>
>1. What makes the NES top loader superior to the original?
The fact that it supports only shitty radio frequency and all the games have a noticeable vertical lines all over. Truly the superior experience.
>>
>>3799152
There's really nothing superior except the design. The video output is worse than the original Famicom.
>>
>>3799152
For 2. There is no reason they would make more NES, because they have the classic, and they would make no money off of game sales as all carts are from 2nd hand sellers.

For 3.Same as 2, what limited quantity however big or small is in the hands of second hand sellers.Some games are more desired or are in more limited a quantity than others, so the prices rise, often quite a lot. That and the popularity of retro gaming has increased quite a bit in recent years.
>>
File: 1468960261654.jpg (425KB, 1854x2053px) Image search: [Google]
1468960261654.jpg
425KB, 1854x2053px
>2
Why in the world would they do that? It's not like they sell their old games physically anymore. The ONLY thing that is gonna come from the success of the NES Classic is gonna be the "NES Classic 2/SNES Classic"
>>
>>3799152

1. It isn't. Shitty rf with jail bars everywhere. For a better experience with a similar form, the av famicom has a multi out port for composite

2. No.

3. Muh retro
>>
>>3799412
You're right about the AV Famicom being the better choice but
it sure as hell is superior to the front loader which is what the OP meant.
Additionally a top loader can easily be fixed with a composite/RGB/HDMI mod but there's no easy fix to the front loader's overall shitty design.
Sure, you could install a blinking light win but then you're still gonna have to deal with the devil's grip when trying to get your cartridges out and the front loader doesn't leave you much cartridge to actually pull on.
>>
>>3799152
1. Basically it's that it has a tension cartridge slot rather than the problematic ZIF socket of the original. See >>3799442 he's said everything there is to say about "what's best" other than a reminder that you'd need a simple 72-to-60 pin adapter. No lockout chip required so dirt cheap

2. No. Nintendo doesn't have any more access to the original NES processors than the rest of us do and they wouldn't spend the money to produce them. Mini was basically promotional material for the Switch "W-we didn't fuck up the WiiU we make new consoles all the time see?"

3. Literally the rarity. In the case of the top loading NES, it was also quite desirable back in the days before it was pretty easy to import used hardware from Japan. I have a CIB one that I should really freshen up and sell or at least RGB mod.
>>
>>3799152
>1. What makes the NES top loader superior to the original?
It's not prone to the same blinking LED / cartridge read errors, but the Top Loader sucks for its own reasons.

>2. Do you think Nintendo will eventually start producing NES consoles again with the success of the NES Classic?
No. I doubt anyone wants to start collecting cartridges again.

>3. Why is this stuff so expensive these days?
Scalpers / resellers buy up large quantities of the same games and hoard them, creating an artificial sense of scarcity.
>>
>>3799442

Yeah, that's true. But the composite mods I've seen on the top loader were always worse than the toaster. The RGB/HDMI mods are fucking spectacular though, if not cost-prohibitive
>>
Was there any reason why the NES top loader didn't have A/V composite out like the Famicom A/V? I would assume RF would've been considered old-fashioned by '93.
>>
anyone know if there was a prototype build of the Blinking Light Win (or something like that)?

I just got an RGB modded NES. It has the "Keep Calm & Don't Press Down" sticker from the BLW campaign and games work just fine without pushing the cartridge down.

The weird thing is that the tray & pin connector look identical to the OEM ones. The BLW in the kickstarter video wasn't spring loaded and couldn't actually be pushed down, whereas this one can be. The pin connector doesn't have the green transfer PCB either - just looks like a normal 72 pin connector.

Just trying to understand what I have here. Thanks
>>
>>3800250
The pins were likely bent up to contact even when the cart isn't depressed.
>>
>>3800256
did they sell the stickers separately? just seems odd to make your own solution but then buy the sticker
>>
>>3799961
You assume wrong. I did have a TV with composite in '93 though. 20" Thomson made RCA. Bought it brand new for around $200 probably in '91. It sat on my back porch all winter and then on curb alert to be taken for free in the great CRTpocalypse when my wife moved in. It was the only one that no one wanted so I brought it back in and it's in my kid's room right now it must have a billion hours on it.

I've never actually used my top loader I just leave it in the box on a shelf because of the no composite
>>
>>3799152
1. Nothing. Frankly, it had more annoying issues than the original.

2. Nope. Not even a remote chance. They're not going to recreate a decades old console that they don't have any software to sell for, and you probably wouldn't be willing to pay the price they'd have to charge for it even if they did.

3. Because nostalgia creates grossly inflated collector's markets.
>>
>>3799152
my dog loves the nes top loader!
>>
>worse than the original NES in every way besides form factor
>shittier controller than the model 1
>only benefit is smaller size and lack of blinking light issue (which can be fixed easily with a variety of solutions like blinking light win)
>still commands upward of $500 on ebay

Why do people pay so much money for a shittier version of the original? You could by an AV famicom and use an adapter for MUCH cheaper, yet for some reason people pay ridiculous prices for these things
>>
>>3800669
The NES Dogbone is a super comfy controller IMO.
>>
>>3800671
well shit i guess i should have checked yank ebay before posting because those fuckers are cheap as chips over in the states.
>>
>>3800678

Don't worry, their prices will soon inflate.
>>
The top loader is much worse by default. However, I bought a modded one on ebay that fixed the verticle line problem and added component cable support. Best of both worlds
>>
>>3800669
>>worse than the original NES in every way besides form factor
Functionality is not form factor... It has a much better pin connector. Granted, without modification it has a god awful video output but the better pin connector is a huge benefit.
>>3800669
>(which can be fixed easily with a variety of solutions like blinking light win)
We don't have enough data on the Blinking Light Win. It could be made cheaply and crap out after a year. Every replacement pin connector I've ever seen has been absolute shit.
>>
>>3800885

The jail bars are fucking insufferable m8

I'd boil a shitty connector for a better composite signal any day of the week.
>>
>it's a "babby wants to buy his first retro console" thread
>>
>>3799152
>released in Moon Rune Land as "Famicom AV" because it specifically added RCA ports
>Releases in US with worse video and no RCA despite the model 1 having RCA before
To answer your question, OP, nothing. It's a shit version of a great system.
>>
>>3799152
1. It's not
2. No
3. Bandwagon collectors like you
>>
>>3800250
>I just got an RGB modded NES. It has the "Keep Calm & Don't Press Down" sticker from the BLW campaign and games work just fine without pushing the cartridge down.
They probably have one of those crap aftermarket pin connectors in there. Those things hold the cartridge firmly enough that you often don't even have to push the game down to make them work. Downside is they're prone to rusting.
>>
I picked up one of these in the original box that had been used maybe once or twice by the looks of it a couple years ago. The box was near mint, everything was inside and mint, and the box had a manufacturer's receipt that the store selling it was supposed to remove but didn't.

It was a steal at $200.
>>
>>3799152
Get an original Famicom with NESRGB, if you only plan on playing on composite, there are many composite modded original Famicoms and you can mod one yourself for pretty cheap.

You should also get a Famicom Disk System and FDS RAM Adapter like the FDSLoader as well as the FDSStick

You can also get a cheap NES to Famicom adapter in StoneAgeGamer in case you want English-language games, you can also get an EverDrive.

Original Famicom is the most reliable Famicom.
>>
>>3803374
This guy knows what he's talking about
>>
>>3803374
The AV Famicom is much more reliable, also removable/more comfortable controllers.
>>
>>3803413
But how about the microphone?

You need it for some games like the superior Japanese versions of Zelda I, Kid Icarus and Takeshi's Challenge.
>>
>>3803416
The only thing FDS Zelda has over the western releases is better sound FX and better music for the few songs to use the FDS sound channel.

Even with the Pol's Voices you are not missing out on much, same with Kid Icarus.
>>
>>3803423
I don't think the Pols Voice enemies weak to arrows in the Japanese version, not sure if the US version has them still weak to microphones, however.

Raid on Bungelin Bay also supported it and I know the karaoke minigame in Takeshi's Challenge was removed in later prints.
>>
>>3803396
>FDSLoader is a ram adapter
>get an FDSStick and and FDS
>knows what he's talking about
>kek intensifies
>>
>>3803492
who are you quoting?
>>
>>3799152
Some variants came with composite cables, like the SNES and N64. That version is superior to the front-loading model because it doesn't have the jailbars, and it actually reads cartridges.
>>
>>3803606
An ignorant fool (You)
>>
>>3802423

>/vr/ in a nutshell
>>
>>3803416
>>3803427
Takeshi's challenge allows you to tap the A button on the second controller for Microphone input as well. You just have to enable it by pressing Down+A on it first.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.