[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ licensed games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 14

File: 9fZ6k0XjY5a7n899gHvv7.jpg (95KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
9fZ6k0XjY5a7n899gHvv7.jpg
95KB, 640x445px
Why were licensed games so much better in the past? Pic extremely related
>>
File: Aladdin_Genesis_BA.jpg (33KB, 200x275px) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin_Genesis_BA.jpg
33KB, 200x275px
Still love the hell out of this one.
>>
But they weren't.
>>
>>3798696
Good point, well made. Thanks for your contribution.
>>
>>
Some companies like Disney had not yet realized they could shovel out half-assed garbage and parents would still buy it for their kids.
>>
You've never played shit licensed games from the 90s? You haven't put much thought into this have you...
>>
>>3798701
FUCK
Why this game is so loved by GENfags?
It's fucking HORRIBLE
>>
>>3798708
> Much better =/= all good

Work on some fucking reading comprehension.
>>
Disney wasn't involved in the games at all beyond the original licensing a lot of the time

There's plenty of bad licensed games where the company stuck its nose into the game, though
>>
There's plenty of memorable, competent 7/10s, but there's plenty of non-/vr/ licensed titles that shit all over them.
>>
>>3798710
BUT YOU CAN PLAY AS THE RAPTOR
AND BITE PEOPLE
>>
>>3798692
Predominately Jap developed. Anamaniacs, Batman, Ducktales, Chip n Dale, TMNT, ect.
>>
File: ET-Game.jpg (44KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
ET-Game.jpg
44KB, 950x534px
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqa8Z6wUGzA
>>
>>3798727
Can you even mention a single one?
>>
>>3798710
I bet you like things I think are horrible too. :)

>>3798692
They've always been hit and miss depending on how much of a cash in the game was trying to be. There are good non-retro ones though. Batman AA is one of the best licensed games ever.
>>
>>3798692
>>3798695
Both of those are extremely overrated. Aladdin has some pretty shit platform detection, and Lion King is just barely not trash.
>>
>>3798710
Rampage Edition is decent.

The original Jurassic Park is the horrible one, awful level design, bad gameplay and full of slowdowns.

It's a well-known fact that Jurassic Park and Fantasia had very short development cycles and were rushed to market thanks to Sega of America.
>>
>>3799223
Wasn't Fantasia pulled from the market because it violated Disney's wishes to not have the movie merchandized?
>>
File: monsterinmypocket_nes.jpg (3MB, 1537x2100px) Image search: [Google]
monsterinmypocket_nes.jpg
3MB, 1537x2100px
Who played this gem back when it was relevant? I only found it recently through the soundtrack, and I knew from the first stage theme that I had to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0qlgmgBoyg
>>
File: anna.jpg (5KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
anna.jpg
5KB, 318x159px
>>3798692
I'm not sure of the modern licensed game market. But I clearly remember back then that if a game was made after a movie it was pure shit. With notable exceptions of course.
>>
>>3799172
>overrated
0/10
>>
>>3798692
Bugs Bunny An Adveture in Time for ps1 was pretty good.

its not good but i enjoyed The Mummy for Ps1.
>>
>>3799172
Aladdin's platforming is fine. Lion King is hard as fuck, but it's certainly not trash by any means.
>>
File: tlkl1.jpg (182KB, 1449x961px) Image search: [Google]
tlkl1.jpg
182KB, 1449x961px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2JreLm4-mY
>>
>>3798692

Can't wait to get home and play this underrated gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S82KxXWrtnI
>>
>>3798692
They were made by competent devs. They also usually had actual budgets
>>
>>3799223
>>3799240
Wait wait wait, there's a reason behind why Fantasia is a genuinely unplayable peace of trash?

Good lord, maybe I could beat it now but Fantasia was a fucking mess. I couldn't get anywhere without using the game genie for unlimited spells.

That said, I adore Genesis Lion King and Aladdin. They're fun, and the former is brutal.
>>
File: JDSNESBox.jpg (54KB, 640x436px) Image search: [Google]
JDSNESBox.jpg
54KB, 640x436px
>>3798692
>Why were licensed games so much better in the past?

No idea but i'll throw in a few that i think are great

Judge dredd, the terminator cd and indiana jones greatest adventures.
>>
Cold Shadow was a fucking great game for the snes
>Inb4 any other platforms
Fuk u
>>
>>3800727
Does the Maui Mallard character exist outside of these games? I've always loved it.
>>
File: bs3.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
bs3.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>3799251
I played it almost 10 year ago, but damn is it a fucking awesome platformer, especially with two people. I was lucky enough to pick up two complete copies (for less than 20-30 each) before whatever happened since you can barely find them complete if it all nowadays.

Fucking gem though.
>>
>>3798692
what are some good ones that aren't disney?
>>
>>3800865
TMNT games, Simpson's arcade, Little Nemo, Castle of Illusion, Capcom's Marvel stuff.
>>
>>3798701

I seriously dislike this game

The original is great thougj
>>
>>3799223

The original is miles better than Rampage Edition, it actually features level design.
>>
>>3800752
Yes. He's called Donald Duck.
>>
>>3801006
I don't think I'll ever stop thinking you're funny.

Not him though, I love both.
>>
>>3801034
Thanks for that. but does he appear under the name Maui Mallard in anything else?
>>
>>3801035

I probably shouldn't shitpost, people have different tastes and honestly, depite using the same assets, the two games are so different that comparing them is kinda silly

But damn I jist hate Rampage edition so much. I bought it becaise I wanted more of the first game and just got some entirely different and... I dunno, LOOSER.
>>
>>3801043
Yeah just different strokes and I get what it's like to hate something, it just always seems funny. I played the first one, thought it was great then played the second one and liked it even more.
>>
The Mickey Mouse game for SNES where you change costumes and shit and get magic powers was pretty good for a licensed game
>>
>>3799859
>Aladdin's platforming is fine.
I wish I had that .gif of Aladdin clearly falling through a platform he should have landed on. To be fair, I feel like it's not a programming error, but rather a misinterpretation between the programmers and the graphic designers. When you create platforms as detailed and in perspective as Aladdin's were, you end up with a bit of confusion over where the edge of the platform actually is.

>Lion King is hard as fuck, but it's certainly not trash by any means.
It's not even really hard, just that the second level is tedious as fuck and the rest are just meh. Anyway, I didn't say it was trash, I said it was just barely not trash. Which I guess means it's good.
>>
>>3801159

Nah he's clearly not centered on te platform in that .gif

And the later levels of Lion King get pretty challening. Can't Wait to be King is only hard if you don't know what to do.
>>
>>3800865
Pirates of the Dark Water is an awesome 2D action adventure/RPG game and it's the only medium through which the story of the franchise got an ending. I'm talking about the Genesis version of the game by the way, for whatever reason the SNES version was a rather lame beat 'em up.
>>
Because you had Capcom and Konami handling a good chunk of them

Still, don't let nostalgia blind you to the huge mountain of shitty licensed games at the time too, you can see how few good ones there were based on this thread
>>
File: great circus mystery.jpg (67KB, 560x409px) Image search: [Google]
great circus mystery.jpg
67KB, 560x409px
>>3801098
This one? I had it for Genesis. One of my favorite co-op games ever.
>>
>>3801098
>>3801620

I fucking adore the whole Mickey Mouse (genesis/snes/game gear) Series for the most part, but Circus Mystery is my absolute favourite one out of the bunch. The comfy soundtrack, the beautiful graphics, the solid platforming; everything just comes together so perfectly.
>>
>>3798692
They weren't and your nostalgia or general lack of knowledge doesn't aid your case.
>>
>>3802881
explain how they weren't? i'm not saying there was a ton of shit licensed games, but don't act like there aren't fucking a lot of gems as well.
>>
>>3798695
Genie level best level.
>>
>>3802887
wasn't*
>>
>>3802887
The state of licensed games has remained consistent since it's inception. You have a whole heap of shit and maybe a handful of well done titles. This has never stopped. A prime example is this fag >>3798695
He praises Aladdin yet forgets it was released on different consoles and sucked on those. That's pure nostalgic bias that allows him to remember the good version of an otherwise shitty game.
>>
>>3798692
>posts a game that has an intentional bug to stop you from beating the game in one sitting

Not the best choice to prove it OP.
>>
>>3802894
Are you saying Aladdin sucked on the SNES? That would just be subjective since I've played both and honestly prefer the SNES version. However, I wouldn't call either a bad game; hell even the game gear version is decent enough. Each game offers something unique to different audiences.
>>
>>3802904
I'm saying one of them sucked and anon's jumped on the Genesis bandwagon.
Also a complete image is better than a series of individual images that each show something different
>>
>>3798692
It's uncanny how much better in general licensed games were back then. Sure, they were still mostly garbage, but there were way more good ones back in the late 80's and 90's. The most recent example I can think of is Spider-Man 2, and it's not nearly as good as games like DuckTales.

You think it's the devs? Wasn't Capcom behind most of the good Disney games?
>>
>>3802929
>You think it's the devs? Wasn't Capcom behind most of the good Disney games?
Sega too.
>>
>>3802929
Yeah, Capcom, Sega, Konami. 9 times out of 10 you were atleast going to get atleast a solid gaming experience back then with those publishers.
>>
>>3802943
>>3802986
That explains it, then. I wonder why they don't seem to care about that as much these days. With the success of the Batman Arkham games, you'd think more devs would give a shit.
>>
>>3798696
Came here to say this. Except disney games 90% of the rest was mediocre at best

>Simpsons
>Home improvement
>Addams Family
>Terminator
>Home alone
>Rocky
>Top Gun
>Dennis the menice
>Barney the dinosaur
>bebe's kids
>rugrats
>Jurassic park (only know the nes one but that sucks ass)
>many more

Only good ones i can think of except disney may be a few (!) bugs bunny games, but mostly they are kind of sub-par.
Turtles and some marvel/DC stuff are worthwile.

Man, I'm really going through my head, there really aren't many good licensed games.

>>3798692
OP posting one fucking game doesn't help your cause.
>>
>>3799889
>this game can be completed in less than 5 minutes
>>
>>3799223
>play jurassic park
>jump from a ledge higher than 4'
>fall through the floor and the entire level and die
>>
Virgin's Disney games were okay, had pretty graphics but suffered from level design and controls, still decent though.

When it comes to Disney games, Capcom and Sega (of Japan) did the best stuff hands down.
>>
>>3798757
This. Giving japs the rights to Western franchises was the right decision. Marvel VS Capcom alone proves this
>>
File: pc-60106-11436031200.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pc-60106-11436031200.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
I remember this Tarzan platformer being a lot better than it had any right to be.
>>
File: turtel.png (105KB, 267x244px) Image search: [Google]
turtel.png
105KB, 267x244px
>>3800813
>>
>>3798696
It depends on which dev gets the license, anything by Konami, Capcom and Sega is sure to be a good licensed game everything else just depends on luck
>>
>>3802929
The Punisher
King Kong
Asterix 'n' Obelix XXL 2: Mission Las Vegum
Deadpool
The Batman Arkham games
>>
>>3798692

I think you're letting nostalgia cloud your judgement, OP. The NES alone had

>Total Recall
>Back to the Future
>Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
>Nightmare on Elm Street
>Friday the 13th
>>
>>3807838
It's safe to say that Disney games, at least, were mostly good in the past.
>Duck Tales
>Chip n Dale
>Mickey Mouse World of Illusion
>>
>>3798695
SNES one is better
>>
Anyone remember Home Alone 2?

Idk why the fuck you fight bouncing luggage and have to avoid being raped by security guards.

It was pretty shit.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.