[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about Deus Ex that people stop playing on the first level?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

File: Dxcover.jpg (125KB, 362x450px) Image search: [Google]
Dxcover.jpg
125KB, 362x450px
What is it about Deus Ex that people stop playing on the first level?
>>
What is it about Deus Ex that people keep playing after so many years?
>>
File: 1402943406812.png (442KB, 538x520px) Image search: [Google]
1402943406812.png
442KB, 538x520px
>>3798507
Ah yeah pretty much answered my question
just re-thinking the process there.
>>
WHY
>>
File: 1416614654655.png (30KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1416614654655.png
30KB, 720x960px
>>3798482
>people don't know the game mechanics yet
>people try combat with untrained weapons
>first level is a bit boring

>>3798507
with every playthrough there's often something new you can find that you would otherwise have missed on the previous playthoughs
>>
File: 1484469373897.jpg (28KB, 303x400px) Image search: [Google]
1484469373897.jpg
28KB, 303x400px
>>3798547
Thanks I know in retrospect the way I phrased the question was stupid
but I always hear that people stop on the island and then come back to it later and it happens all the time I don't really hear that about other games.
>>
File: 1450760302428.jpg (17KB, 326x272px) Image search: [Google]
1450760302428.jpg
17KB, 326x272px
>>3798482
I've stopped playing twice but both times that was in New York after saving the hostages in the subway. The game is a janky piece of ass no matter how you decide to play it. I understand that it's intended to be an rpg played from a first person perspective rather than an fps but that doesn't make it fun. I just dislike crpgs in general though so that's probably it.

The answer is that only crpg fans like Deus Ex. Retards try to sell it as a story driven fps and then normal people feel confused as fuck when they're weak as fuck and overwhelmed with information in the first area, which is a perfectly normal experience in any crpg but completely alien to an fps player.

I would recommend exclusively trying to sell this game to the same brand of mental defective that enjoys Planescape: Torment. You'll probably enjoy a much lower rejection rate.
>>
File: 1473271516784.jpg (17KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
1473271516784.jpg
17KB, 207x253px
>>3798672
>The answer is that only crpg fans like Deus Ex.
I generally hate RPG's but like Deus Ex, so your assumption is wrong
>>
>>3798676
Are you sure? What attracts you to Desu Sex if not the rpg stuff? If it's not that I have to assume you're an underageb& or mental underageb& who's in it for the writing. You aren't underageb& are you?
>>
File: 1459725197057.jpg (74KB, 579x523px) Image search: [Google]
1459725197057.jpg
74KB, 579x523px
>>3798678
define 'rpg stuff'
>>
>>3798686
Bumping into NPCs until you find useful information, levelling up and progressing from scrub to demi-god, various solutions to problems, the game turning out marginally differently based on a few key choices you make. The kinds of things rpgs do that others don't, you know? Things that make you pick up Deus Ex over Unreal.
>>
great game, i beat iton my first try ilke a decade ago.

some things about it that i found funky

the silenced pistol could 1 hit kill basically anyone. kinda OP much?

backstabbing was inconsistent. i found that the best way to do it was to duck and poke 'em in the ass.

i killed the mini-boss before the final boss a bit too easy. 1-2 rockets killed him if i remember correctly.

the voice acting is ass. especially the chinese voices.

graphics are ugly as fook.

Still a great game, but i don't get the urge to play it again. otoh, i get the urge to replay games like gothic 1 or might magic 6 every year or so
>>
>>3798687
>levelling up and progressing from scrub to demi-god
chore that throw me off from RPGs in the first place
>various solutions to problems
>the game turning out marginally differently based on a few key choices you make
kind of, but it's not really exclusive to RPGs
>>
>>3798482
It's a shit game. Non shitters immediately realise this desu.
>>
>>3798547
the first two are very true but I'd dispute the third item. the first level is a great sandbox that basically shows you what the game is gonna be roughly like, it's spacious enough to experiment with various approaches that might go wrong etc
>>
>>3798538
CONTAIN
>>
>>3798789
SHIT
>>
>>3798482
>What is it about Deus Ex that people stop playing on the first level?

As somebody who had the leaked version back just as it released i stopped playing it as it felt clunky and broken( obviously low skill points ).. I had just come of the back of games like quake 3, unreal tourn, opposing force (?) so as somebody who had not played any rpgs that were not the dungeon master, final fantasy type i didnt actually grasp deus ex wasnt a fps..

About 4 weeks later after it had started getting mad praise i watched a m8 play it from the start through to unatco to the hells kitchen part and my reaction was basically Fuuuuuuaaaack its incredible, went home and completed it in a weekend.

Got me into conspiracy shit as i was allways into ayy lmaos as a kid then not long after sept 11th happened.
>>
>>3798547
>>people don't know the game mechanics yet
>>people try combat with untrained weapons

>>3798842
>stopped playing it as it felt clunky and broken( obviously low skill points )

Same issue as the game alpha protocol, it feels like a clunky 5/10 game till you get 3 or 4 points in pistols.

Two of the best most atmospheric non traditional rpgs ive ever played along with bloodlines, kotor etc.
>>
boring level, boring mechanics that don't hook the player, shitty AI that isn't fun to fight against and dies pathetically easily and also doesn't play by the same rules as you.

It's like a lesson in game design 101 on what you don't do.
>>
File: deusexcover.jpg (236KB, 882x998px) Image search: [Google]
deusexcover.jpg
236KB, 882x998px
>>3798482
post the real cover you pleb
>>
>>3798891
>boring level
Take that back
I actually liked the world hub and some of the levels, they feel nice when integrated. I will admit the gameplay is a bit janky especially when I went with a dragon sword + speed augmentation playthrough
Even with the gameplay it's still worth playing imo
>>
>>3798482
Took me a couple tries to truly enjoy it. It was very daunting and every person who reviewed it would say "you have to play it full stealth to really enjoy it" and like a dumbass I took it to heart. Once I was able to just enjoy the game the way I wanted to, I had a blast.
>>
>>3799063
I was talking about the statue of liberty which may be the worst intro to a game ever
>>
>>3798482
People forgot to use the password Iron COCK
>>
File: dxx.jpg (64KB, 876x824px) Image search: [Google]
dxx.jpg
64KB, 876x824px
I remember my first time playing DX and I almost gave up during the first level. It's just so overwhelming, you don't know where to go, etc.
I was expecting a first person shooter, not an fps-rpg. The weapons felt weak, the communication was confusing, and the lever is really huge for tutorial/beginning level.

Good thing I gave it a second try, it's now one of my all time favorite games.
>>
>>3800839
>and the lever is really huge for tutorial/beginning level
but there's an actual dedicated tutorial level, which the game asks you to complete before first starting the game proper
>>
>>3798739
>the first level is a great sandbox that basically shows you what the game is gonna be roughly like, it's spacious enough to experiment with various approaches that might go wrong etc
This. I will never understand the criticism against the Statue of Liberty.
There's multiple paths, multiple weapons to utilise, secrets to find, and it accommodates both stealthy and gung-ho playing styles.
It's the perfect playground for newbies to try out the abilities they learned in the training area, while still providing a stimulating level for replaying veterans.
>>
>>3801116

I think the problem stems from players who rush to press the start button without realizing that there is a formal tutorial available to answer any questions they may have had.
>>
>>3801116
I think you don't realize it's not a criticism of the first level (which with its wide, empty, open spaces has plenty to critique - along with how it introduces mechanics like gas grenades as a surprise and has some poorly routed patrols with a lack of ammunition making it one of the more difficult levels of the game --)

The problem is the boring mechanics mesh poorly with the design, the AI is boring to deal with in any way, the weapons all suck, and it does nothing to entice the player in the slightest. It's an absolute failure of an opening.
>>
>>3798482

The first time I play it I just shoot everything like a maniac and got stuck in the Airport level. The second time I paid more attention to the game mechanics,learned some resource managment and listened to what the NPCs tell you and really got into it
>>
>>3801083
>but there's an actual dedicated tutorial level, which the game asks you to complete before first starting the game proper
>tutorial

My bet is that since many players skips tutorials in all action games and since all FPS controls pretty much the same and they were expecting Deus Ex to be a FPS, they ignored the tutorial for that reason.
>>
>>3798693
>killed the mini-boss before the final boss a bit too easy. 1-2 rockets killed him if i remember correctly.

I like that the "bosses" are pretty much as vulnerable as the player, play HR to understand why "real" bosses are not a good idea in Deus Ex, played the Director's Cut and they weren't that bad since they put a lot of weapons in the boss rooms but I heard that in the original version the bosses prevents some people from completing a level since they arrived there with little to no ammo and the bosses are bullet sponges.
>>
>>3798482
First level is EXTREMELY boring. The plot doesn't get interesting until you change sides. Gameplay doesn't get fun until you have lots of weapons/augs to play around with.

>>3798672
>The answer is that only crpg fans like Deus Ex
You can run through the whole game shooting the same percentage of the time as most FPS games.

Also, I know people consider this a troll question, but why is this game allowed on /vr/ now? It is Unreal Engine 1, but it came out in 2000, and lots of newer games run on Windows 9x.
>>
File: 1427929484722-2.png (774KB, 848x1037px) Image search: [Google]
1427929484722-2.png
774KB, 848x1037px
>>3798482

I stopped playing on the first level and didn't come back to the game until YEARS later, and even then I had to force myself through the opening level before I started to actually have fun playing it.

At first I hated that my accuracy was so poor, and I was really bad at stealthing and never quite figured it out. Everything changed when I found a laser sight and put it on my pistol, and I realized that with the laser sight your bullets will always hit the red dot no matter how huge your crosshairs are. Then, as I put more points into weapons, the game in general became kinda magical to me as a story-driven FPS.

>>3798891

I agree that the AI is terrible but their behavior is still interesting. I always have a good laugh when I boot up the game after a while and first see those dudes run around in fear or run directly into toxic clouds, cool shit like that. I don't think a game could have AI like that today without getting a lot of shit for it since it's objectively pretty bad, but I find it more interesting than your run-of-the-mill FPS AI from back then with the exception of Half-Life and maybe Halo.
>>
Some of the weapons are hot garbage, no matter how much proficiency you invest. Looking at you, Assault Rifle
>>
>>3803282

>how do we balance this high rate of fire weapon
>Iets make each bullet only a fraction as powerful as a handgun bullet

I hate it when games do that. I guess it'd have a use if you were bad at aiming semi-auto shots and wanted to just hold down the mouse button while you aim, but it's so hard to feel okay spraying bullets like that when you have an inventory and finite bullets. I think I still used it for the grenade launcher or something before I got the fancy rocket launcher thing (didn't pick it up in teh beginning, didn't know I wouldn't find another for a while )
>>
>>3798672
I played because I enjoyed the story... my previous gaming experience consisted of Doom, Quake, and UT.
>>
>>3798507

>I keep playing because of GMDX.

GMDX is a modification for the millennial masterpiece Deus Ex, a game consistently hailed as one of the greatest of all time-- yet even masterpieces are not without their flaws.

GMDX seeks to enhance the player experience wherever possible, from gameplay to audio design to graphics, while maintaining strict respect for the original game’s identity and essential design principles. The objective is not to change the fundamental core of Deus Ex, but rather to dig deeper; to more fully achieve and build upon the creative vision put forth by Warren Spector and the Ion Storm Austin team back in 2000.

http://genericname112.wixsite.com/gmdx
>>
>>3803282

Put a laser and a silencer on the assault rifle and the game is pretty much over.
>>
Human Revolution gave me a newfound appreciation for DX1's opening.

In HR you can basically snipe everyone with the starting pistol right away, or one-shot people with cinematic takedowns. It's like they overcompensated for Liberty Island and it just ended up making the rest of the game more boring because most of the stuff you can get later on is overshadowed by the stuff you start with.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.