[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did this turn out so shitty compared to the 16-bit Sonic games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

File: Knuckles'_Chaotix_Coverart.png (191KB, 256x349px) Image search: [Google]
Knuckles'_Chaotix_Coverart.png
191KB, 256x349px
Why did this turn out so shitty compared to the 16-bit Sonic games?
>>
>>3798320
rushed as fuck just like the 32x
>>
because you have the bungee cord thing pretty simple
>>
>>3798347
Yeah I couldn't get the hang of it and just gave up
>>
>>3798320
I swear to god.. if I see another thread show up about a game played on James and Mike Mondays the same day, I can't be held responsible for what I'm going to do.
>>
>>3798358
>autistici screeching
>>
>>3798358
but my dude. how else would I know what a video game was unless james & mike told me it was shit?
>>
>>3798320
"how come sonic is red? i dont get that? actually its black sonic with red hair"
>>
>>3798320
how do i have negative -35 rings? wooow what a dumb game. why is there 2 red sonics. I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>3798381
You can tell he's black because of his massive, high test brow ridge.
>>
Why would a loner like Knux willingly tether himself to someone?
>>
When I was a kid, I first saw knuckles in sonic 3d blast and thought it was a girl. Knuckles also sounded like a girl's name.
>>
>>3798394
that's the real problem with this game: it doesn't make any sense
>>
>>3798395
she probably has a nice moose knuckle.
>>
>>3798320
That soundtrack though..
>>
File: NqSBJ7W.png (2MB, 1480x1916px) Image search: [Google]
NqSBJ7W.png
2MB, 1480x1916px
>>3798320
Sega was snorting a lot of X-tacy they got from a MeXican in 1994 and decided to spell everything with an 'X' because it was X-tremely ChaotiX rad dude. Unfortunately they blew all their money on 32x hookers and forgot how to make X-cellent games. Sonic had too much 'TUDE' and needed to detoX so his African American brother 'red sonic' got hes gang member friend Croc to give him a reach around with a rubber band.
>>
Were Sonic Team just really excited about the rubber band gimmick? The gimmick itself isn't bad, but the dependence on it is what brings the game down.

The biggest problem with Chaotix is that the levels are designed completely around the gimmick, and as a result are mostly just long back-and-forth straightaways. Chaotix isn't a bad game, but it really is pretty boring compared to the five classic Sonics.
>>
>>3798429
Daily disclaimer that Sonic Team nor any member of the team thereof is to be held accountable or responsible under the law for any part, express or imagined, of the non-game Sonic X-treme. Expression of gratitude for attention. You may resume your regularly scheduled shitposting.
>>
File: Crackers_title.png (811B, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Crackers_title.png
811B, 320x224px
>>3798439
Sonic was very into racial bigotry and white supremacy in 1995. They were going to originally call the game Sonic Crackers and it was going to be about Sonic's epic quest to find Kniggles and lynch him with his magical lynching rope.
>>
such a shame as the music is soooooooooo good
>>
File: sunsetocean.jpg (126KB, 676x474px) Image search: [Google]
sunsetocean.jpg
126KB, 676x474px
>>3798487
Hell yeah, Door into Summer is my all time favorite piece of Sonic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaykX3Cie3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4IMRl3pVe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cCkLKlW_i4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyK-FrmC1QQ
>>
>>3798471
Fuck. I just remembered downloading and playing this literal aeons ago.
>>
>>3798352
>bungee mechanic

It's not even necessary for beating the game.

You can fly anywhere with Charmy Bee, making all of the gymnastics pointless.

I would legit like to see a version of this game with better level design, and the flying and climbing mechanics removed.

That way you would be dependent on the bungee cord mechanics to progress in the level.
>>
>>3798516
>make a game about two player gymnastics using a bungee cord
>give player the ability to climb and fly while dragging the second player behind them

Talk about undermining the core mechanic of the entire game.

It's like taking Sonic, a game with the core mechanic of running and jumping, and giving the player the ability to teleport to the end of the level with a press of a single button.
>>
Would a remake for the Saturn have saved it in the west?
>>
>>3798604
Did it save 3D Blast?
>>
>>3798358
These threads have been going on for a long ass time. OP used to say that he found the game at a flea market and wanted to talk about it.
>>
>>3798320
Too many sidekicks
>>
File: nintendo.jpg (119KB, 979x551px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo.jpg
119KB, 979x551px
>>3798847
Not to pick on nintendo but how many characters is the nintendo mascot universe overpopulated with again?
>>
>>3798358

The trend's getting real old now. I don't even know if the guy that posts these threads even watches the videos, they don't call it shitty at all and Mike in particular liked it a lot. The fucking colours made my eyes bleed though, can't believe nobody told them it was fucked up.
>>
>>3798394
The loner personality didn't set in until Sonic Adventure. Just because he was alone on Angel Island (technically - there were still the animals Eggman captured) doesn't mean he was an antisocial prick.
>>
>>3798847
>>3798918
There is nothing wrong with the idea of Sonic's friends. Sonic 3 & Knuckles played just fine no matter which character you picked.

Problem is Sonic Team can't make them fun to play anymore (see: Sonic Adventure). They're always some sort of gimmick and end up destroying the flow Sonic himself sets for the game.
>>
File: loony.jpg (95KB, 345x535px) Image search: [Google]
loony.jpg
95KB, 345x535px
>5x stage Zones chosen through roulette
I had this cart and I loved it, but that got monotonous, really.
>>
>>3798320
Now someone should post "Sonic was never good" meme and prove it with Sonic 2k6. Then we will have the full package
>>
In order to like this game you need to fall into the niche of sonic players who prefer the sections in sonic 2 where you can hold right and fly through the level navigating between paths with well timed jumps, over the sections in Sonic 3 with well laid out platforming and emphasis on exploration.

On top of that, you then need to spend around 3-5 hours just messing around with the tether physics in order to get the hang of how to slingshot yourself around without getting stuck on things or getting bounced in the wrong direction by your partner. This is the only way that the games sparse, repetitive, wide open level design starts to make sense.

Once you can get the hang of using the tether to your advantage you speed through the levels MUCH faster than possible in any other 2D Sonic game. The previously wide, open landscape turns into a series of slowly undulating, divergent paths. The sparsely placed enemies and hazards become tests of your reflexes to avoid. The sections that normally take a solid two minutes to platform across and feel like someone copy and pasted the same 3 sections over and over in random order? They turn into twenty seconds of timing your jumps and tether holds just right so you don't hit anything or miss a platform while you zoom across the stage. The disjointed platforms and lack of set decorations coupled with slower than usual parallaxing backgrounds make sense at this speed because you end up seeing a static character and background and anything that moves on screen is either a platform to aim for or an obstacle to avoid, with nothing to distract from your reflex reaction. This is why 5 zones with 5 acts each makes sense. Watch a few minutes of speed run videos and you see what I mean. https://youtu.be/_miy-scBlIg

The main problem is that getting this good at the physics and at navigating takes so long you've already beat the game two or three times. It's like it was never tested with new players, only by people who played it to death.
>>
Chaotix was supposed to be THE Sonic 4, for the Saturn. But the 32X needed a Sonic title and SEGA figured that X-treme covered the need for a Sonic game on the Saturn. So Sonic 4 got neutered and we ended up with Chaotix.

Just imagine how things could've been.
>>
The upside: It had a cool aesthetic like Sonic CD but for Knuckles and his crew instead. The graphics were pretty damn good. Control was fine for Sonic. Had a nice cast.
The downside: Tether really brought the control and level design back. I liked the idea of multiple characters but how it was handled was bad. Not a clear focus on level completion. With Sonic I didn't need to think as much. Just go from the start to the end. In Chaotix there is a ton of shit to do in a level design that doesn't fit for what the game is asking you to do.
>>
>>3799182

This is all true, WHEN you get the controls and physics down you can pick up crazy speed and have a lot of fun with the game, it just takes a while to get there.

>>3799279

If it was Sonic 4 at any point I have to imagine the ring system was just going to be one style of play and not the whole thing.
>>
>Get all of the secret power rings.
>Beat the game.
>Your reward is seeing and image of Sonic and Tails.

Just...
>>
I've played modded versions of sonic 1 thru 3 with these characters replacing sonic without the bungie. They are pretty fun on their own. Vector and knuckles break the marble zone though.
>>
>>3798918
Not all of these characters are in the same game series, anon.
On the other hand, Sonic games kept getting more and more cluttered up with grrrreat characters like Big the Cat or Cream.
>>
>>3799752
Any of sonic friends is still better than TOAD.
>>
>>3798954
>The fucking colours made my eyes bleed though, can't believe nobody told them it was fucked up.
For as much as the entire Cinemassacre crew want to seem like consummate, passionate nerds, they actually know jack shit about most stuff they discuss, including audio/video tech.
>>
>>3800335
You mean to tell me they dropped all that coin on a Framemeister and it's more ideal to use RGB with it instead of composite??

Knuckles' Chaotix is far from a bad game. It's definitely something to get used to and the game's insistence on everything being random is really strange and frustrating (random stage, random sidekick character..). I enjoy it a lot, though. It has that same spirit as the first generation of Sonic games, just not quite on the same level.
>>
>>3800349
>Framemeister
I fuckin' cringed when I saw it. I mean, in theory it is at least eliminating input lag, but based on how poorly James normally plays, I really don't think that's an issue.

It's like James got a vague idea that something called a Framemeister existed, but then did absolutely zero research on it and just bought one, then mindlessly touted that he was now playing his games in "glorious HD".
>>
>>3800414
Cut James a break. He is too dumb to get a real job anymore. Until a few months ago all their systems were hooked up with RF switch boxes connected to a 720i plasma. Shit its probably still RF switch boxes hooked into the Framemeister now.
>>
>>3799638
What's up with chameleon's hand?
>>
I have zero objections to any of the Chaotix characters.
>>
>>3800423
I think they do use composite.

What upsets me is when someone modded a Game Gear for TV out for Mike, they included an s-video output.
He still only recorded the composite signal. After cropping out the border and upscaling it, you couldn't make it look worse if you tried.
>>
>>3800471
Even Charmy?
>>
>>3800653
Yes.
>>
>>3800471
And that's a perfectly fine opinion to have.
The hatred toward side characters in Sonic is very exaggerated. There's only a few really egregious examples, and there's a good number of really well designed ones.
>>
>>3798320
Too elastic.
>>
File: 200px-SMW_CapeMario.jpg (15KB, 200x201px) Image search: [Google]
200px-SMW_CapeMario.jpg
15KB, 200x201px
>>3798523
Or like giving Mario the ability to fly over every stage
>>
File: sound_test.gif (39KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
sound_test.gif
39KB, 320x224px
>>
It's was better than Freedom Planet.
>>
>>3798340
>rushed as fuck just like the 32x

It was in development for almost a year.
>>
The video felt like james could not figure out the controls. He spent minutes bouncing around. Senpi Mike made it look playable though.
>>
File: 6346.gif (186KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
6346.gif
186KB, 500x400px
>>3798320
Personally, I love Knuckles Chaotix...as an example of god tier pixel art and good music.

The sprites and color palettes in this game are simply gorgeous, the music is very cool but that's it. Imo, it's Sega's Shadow of the Beast: Amazing aesthetics and nothing more.
>>
>>3798492

Door into Summer always reminds me a bit of Bridge zone for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uazL8HejVJ8
>>
>>3801791
I fucking love bridge zone.
>>
I like the game. But then, I bothered to get good at it.
>>
>>3800971
so was the 32x. see how successful that was? but i guess it was more shitty management than time constraints.
>>
>>3800927

>Sound test
>No dancing Amy

https://youtu.be/GBZthexuWVA?t=1m20s
>>
Chaotix is about the one Sonic game that could benefit the most from hacking, yet has almost nothing made for it. Tails' gameplay is literally in one of the prototypes yet nobody's been able to port it over and add him to the game. I can only imagine the 32x is a bitch to mess with.
>>
Music was great.
The art was great.
The use of the rotate and scaling the 32x could do was great.

It was the damn gimmick with the 2 characters attached to the ring that slowed down gameplay and made it unenjoyable. The boring level designs that just went up. The lack of enemies.
>>
>>3799638
>can't pick Sonic or anything, you just unlock an appearance
gayer than really gay stuff
>>
>>3800335
1 game they review has bad colouring issues.
1 game out of close to 500, has issues.
>they know jackshit.

ok anon.
>>
>>3802067
>wanting to play as Sonic when you can play as Knuckles

I bet you chuckle.
>>
>>3801905
>game calling its own music "cool sweet and catchy"

Just because it's true doesn't make it any less crass.
>>
>>3802097
Not *quite* what I argued, it's just nutty that the big reward is just a picture of a character that the game did its best to avoid
>>
>>3798471
>cracker

Cracker wasn't an insult in the early/mid 90's
>>
>>3802081
they also dont record in 60fps so the video also has interlace errors. Basically all their capture footage has been shit for the past 10 years and this is nothing new. Im sure they would just record the tv footage with a camera if they could.
>>
>>3802117
Isnt it an insult from the 70s though? Or am i thinking of "honkey". I'm not a with it cool balck cat so i wouldn't know.
>>
>>3799638
That really pissed me off.
>>
>>3802117
It was used as an anti-white pejorative since at least the 1960s, most likely earlier. It was used as an insult since at least the 1780s.
>>
>it's an "i just watched some faggot eceleb video and now i have to post some cancer" thread
>>
>>3802067

Considering only a year passed between the build date of the Sonic Crackers protoype and Chaotix's release it seems fairly rushed, my gut feeling is that Sonic and Tails were SUPPOSED to unlock after this but they ran out of time to program it. Obviously they had the sprites made, they had Tails' gameplay engine intact until fairly late in development. It's really hard to believe they thought a tornado sprite would be a worthy reward after what you get in Sonic 2 and 3.
>>
>>3802146
>knowing about what videos e-celebs are making
looks like you're the real cancer here, pal
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.