[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on Smithy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: SmithyBattle.png (14KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
SmithyBattle.png
14KB, 256x224px
What is your opinion on Smithy?
>>
Not Exor.
>>
>>3797831
Exor doesn't have Sledge though.
>>
Seems like a more compelling villain when you're a kid who wishes Mario was deeper than it is.
>>
>>3797851
The battle theme is pretty nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9ZmOktINI
>>
More interesting when you thought he was a giant sword.
>>
>>3797856
Why didn't they call Exor Ragnarok?
>>
>>3797825
the most powerful super mario villain aside from Culex (who was just visiting his world). Smithy made Bowser look like a chump.
>>
A pretty boring villain with a great battle theme.
>>
File: Durr durrr Smithy Durrrr.jpg (55KB, 957x621px) Image search: [Google]
Durr durrr Smithy Durrrr.jpg
55KB, 957x621px
>>3797825
Wouldn't it be painful for him to remold his head by hitting himself with a hammer
>>
>>3797875
They are basically robots and don't have feelings.
>>
File: Smithy2.gif (3KB, 94x86px) Image search: [Google]
Smithy2.gif
3KB, 94x86px
>>3797875
His head is probably some type of shape-shifting magic metal that is largely immune to blunt impact from his own hammer.
>>
>>3797863
Exor was called Calibur in Japan.
>>
File: goosebumps_2443265k.jpg (88KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
goosebumps_2443265k.jpg
88KB, 858x536px
>>3797853
>tfw you fight him for the very first time and he opens with "Sledge Hammer" which syncs with the song.
>>
>>3797825
He was just trying to make the Mushroom Kingdom great again
>>
>>3797825
He was number one.
>>
>>3797825

>IMMA MAKE WEAPONS CUZ IM EVIL LMAO

People at Square could have tried more to make something more interesting as final Boss.
>>
>>3797874
At least he's unique compared to Final Fantasy villains.

>FF
>villain with super duper powers out of the asshole causing global cataclysm
>every fucking time
>>
>>3798172

At least FF side stories are interesting.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>3797825
The background in his final fight is really creepy
>>
remake of this game where mallow and bowser are viable when
>>
>>3798349

What did they mean by this? Was Smithy trying to make clones of himself? Did some other entity make Smithy, and that is a graveyard of rejected heads?

Did they just run out of ideas for a BG so they just said fuck it and assembled it out of duplicates of Smithy's beardless head for no reason in particular?
>>
>>3798373
Nigga, the game is super easy, everyone is viable unless you're a pussy bitch.
>>
>>3797875
FOR YOU!
>>
>>3798396
They are probably replica heads in case Smithy's original one becomes too damaged. Maybe he was trying to upgrade himself but was forced to do it prematurely after losing the first fight.
>>
>>3798172
Square Enix can't write good characters consistently for some reason even back in the past. The best ones were the simpilistic characters that weren't too seriously or tried to be full of depth. When they try to write a legit good character with plenty of meaning, they end up making a pretentious asshole with a God complex. It's tiring but at least Smithy was simple was a clear goal of just making a shitload of weapons to fuck up Mario's world. No God complex or no sorry backstory, just some ragehole that liked to build shit.
>>
He represents the military industrial complex.
>>
>>3797831
This.

>>3797851
And this.

>>3797856
Also this.

>>3797853
Mandatory.

>>3797874
Long story short.
>>
File: 1487004159835m.jpg (70KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487004159835m.jpg
70KB, 577x1024px
Seemed like he came out of nowhere. I love this game, but i felt like smithy needed to appear earlier so you can have an unwinnable battle against him.
>>
File: WAIT A MINUTE.png (19KB, 156x114px) Image search: [Google]
WAIT A MINUTE.png
19KB, 156x114px
>mfw I realized all the bosses were just weapons he made, because he''s a smithy.
>>
>>3799427
I want you to understand the altered echo of my affections, thank you.[/spoiler]
>>3799561
>>3800035
>>3800046

Let's talk about Mario RPG //reserve 22 now and the Armageddon fan-edit. Is that 0k4y?
>>
>>3797825
The whole final part of Mario RPG was weak. Very weak.

The very end is when the player sees the true villains for the first time, and there's no 'development' that really makes the player invested in the concept of them as a enemy.

"Oh, I'm the bad guy. Fight!"
>>
>>3802107
Kind of anticlimatic, yes.
>>
>>3797825
HE WAS NUMBER ONE
>>
>>3800046

I guess that could certainly be true, though I'm not entirely sure. He makes those Machine Made copies of course, but it seems like beings from Smithy's realm are living metal creatures (like Smithy himself) so I guess they could have been "real" beings created by the same process that created Smithy and only the grey ones were manufactured. That being said, who knows, it wasn't like they put a whole lot of thought into it because:

>>3802107

In a way, I think it fits. Why is Bowser your enemy in the original SMB? Because he kidnapped Peach and used his evil magic on the kingdom. The motivations are simple. There's a bit more complexity with some of the lesser villains (albeit not much), like Booster who is apparently the bratty, beetle-obsessed manchild in a long line of presumably successful men. His highest ranking minions (Grate Guy and Knife Guy) apparently don't really give a shit about him and will gladly play games with Mario even after he defeats them and takes away their master's object of affection (who even Booster quickly forgot about). Yeah, there isn't much development, just funny, simple characters that fit in Mario's simple, silly world. It is what makes Culex seem so intentionally out of place: hes dark, and serious, a definite stranger in a town where even reformed creatures that are from the same species as Mario's most common enemies chat like they have no animosity toward the plumber.
>>
I like how he has this theme of making weapons and gritty factory in the light-hearted world of Mario. It's kind of eerie
>>
>>3797825
He's the weakest villain in his own game, which is a shame. It made the final boss pretty underwhelming despite the great build-up to it.

His factory is a brilliant final dungeon though. The sounds of the machinery and seeing assembly lines producing mass copies of all the major bosses set a great tone, and it's nice that every party member gets a scene before the end.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.