[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a "retro" game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: nsdos226.gif (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
nsdos226.gif
4KB, 256x224px
I want it to be 3D and and I want to work under retro limitations.

Is there an engine of choice here or do I have to work from scratch?
>>
>>3797461
>3D
> Retro limitations

Define 3D, anon.
>>
>>3797461
Wrong board. This place is actually for old games, not retro games. Try /v/
>>
>>3797465
You know, 3D. Like polygons.

>>3797467
There's games still being made for old systems. Homebrew.
>>
>>3797474
If you were making a homebrew game for an existing console you wouldn't have asked about general retro limitations, you would have mentioned the console you were working with.

2/10 got me to reply to your bait
>>
>>3797461
If you just want to make a game that appears as if it adheres to the limitations of old hardware, you can use any modern development tools. If you actually want to get the game running on old hardware, well, that's another beast entirely. You'd be better off talking to emulator devs who lurk the emulation general on /vg/, or the game development general that's also on /vg/, or straight up /g/.
>>
>>3797474
Ah.
I thought you were talking about "3D" games like Q-Bert, where your character literally walks around on a 3-D plane.
>>
File: fighter-maker-usa[1].jpg (113KB, 600x572px) Image search: [Google]
fighter-maker-usa[1].jpg
113KB, 600x572px
>>
>>3797461

In terms of limitations, I guess you could download one of the mid-90s versions of SoftImage and use it for modelling/animation.
>>
>>3797487
>>3797492
Sorry, I should've been more specific.

Originally I was thinking of making a game for the dreamcast but now I'm thinking if I could make it work for old PCs in general.
>>
>>3797508
>make it work for old PCs
You could:
use a DOS compiler
make a total conversion mod using an old engine
try a deprecated version of a pleb tool like AGS
>>
>>3797508
What makes you want to make a 3D game with the limitations of the Dreamcast?
>>
>>3797508
Unreal engine then
>>
>>3797461
>I want to make a "retro" game

Step 1, make the game
Step 2, wait 20 years

Eureka, You've done it!
>>
Another anon here.
It's interesting that nowadays every game engine needs tons of RAM to work, regardless of the complexity of your game.
I wanted to create a low poly game that could run on old PCs, but now you need gigas of memory to run the simplest pixelshit.
>>
File: 1480952359370.png (24KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1480952359370.png
24KB, 240x240px
>>3797640
not if you write your own code. shit's gigabytes because its a tower of rube goldberg vomit-tiered code that nobody who uses it understands, they just know how to glue even more rube goldberg shit together.

OP, you are so far away from knowing how to make a retro 3d game it would break your heart to tell you. Go learn some linear algebra and computer science, and by then you will have both the tools and skills needed to answer your own question.
>>
>>3797586

Wew lad. I think even in 20 years the faggots on this board will still REEEEE if you mention the ps2, or...god forbid...the gamecube.

Jesus christ.
>>
>>3797586
Step 1: Make the game

Step 2: Put (c) 1999 on the title screen, and claim that you found it on a box of floppies you bought at a yard sale.
>>
>>3797461
Use an engine that suits your genre. Sword of Moonlight, Unreal. What are you making?
>>
use pygame
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.