[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason to use an Xbox for emulation over a PSP or Wii?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Xbox.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Xbox.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
I know Xbox outputs 480i instead of 240p like the Wii and PSP but aren't there Arcade and N64 games which run in interlaced mode that would be suitable for this?

Isn't there a service menu hack to force Trinitron CRTs into 240p?

Are there any systems that Xbox can emulate better than Wii or PSP?

Does the Xbox have weakness emulating certain systems (like Arcade on Wii or SNES on PSP)?

How does Xbox emulation accuracy compare to the Raspberry pi?

What are the best aftermarket controllers and arcade sticks to use with the Xbox?

Can you play music ripped from CDs onto the harddrive to use as the soundtrack for emulated games?

What are some neat things the Xbox can do that the Wii and PSP can't do?
>>
Well, the Xbox is somewhat more powerful than a Wii but only slightly. The Wii has numerous advantages to make up for it. Besides its very smooth switching between various video modes it also has SD and USB ports onboard with no additional fabrication required. It's physically smaller. It has wireless controller option and wifi. There are more controller options. Also and this is key it's somewhat easier to mod for beginners. Also, you get native compatibility with both Gamecube and Wii libraries.
>>
>>3796540
The Xbox can run in 720p, if you want something LCD compatible.

A derailment. Is there a youtube series that reviews and compares emulation machines? Like, something that covers all of OPs questions? I think it would be interesting.
I daydream of making one myself, but I don't have the voice, equipment, or space for it.
>>
>>3796557
Not OP but I thought the Wii is practically the same as the Gamecube? I thought there was a gap between it and the Xbox.
>>
>>3796575
Any hardware advantage it has doesn't matter for emulators.
>>
File: xbox_original_controller_sm.gif (391KB, 1072x843px) Image search: [Google]
xbox_original_controller_sm.gif
391KB, 1072x843px
I'd like to know the answer to some of these questions, too. I have a modded Xbox that I use to play burned/import games. However, I've been toying with the idea of installing SNES and Genesis emulators on it.

I have 2 choices when it comes to displays. I use the "Official High Definition AV Pack", which is basically component cables with optical audio capability. I use this on my Toshiba CRT and my Olevia HDTV. I'll hook my Xbox up to the HDTV if I want to play a game that supports 480p and/or widescreen.

Anyways, I'd like to know what would be the best option if I want to play SNES/Genesis games, the CRT or the HDTV? Sorry for being a nub, but I don't know how well 4th gen games translate to resolution outputs that were beyond their time.
>>
>>3796575
For starters, a Wii doesn't require a hardmod to run homebrew on it.

It is more powerful than a GC, but not by a whole lot.
>>
>>3796575
Practically isn't exactly. Wii has more memory and runs at a higher clock speed than Gamecube but it also has more overhead and remember Gamecube was the Xbox's competitor back in the day, Wii came many years later. For all intents and purposes the Xbox will run almost all Playstation games, a few more N64 games and a solid chunk more MAME games. Also Metal Wolf Chaos
>>
>>3796579
Definitely CRT for anything 5th gen and earlier (SNES and Genny are 4th gen).

6th gen (Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox) can go either way but I prefer CRT.
If there is too much flickering of text on CRT then turn down the contrast.

7th gen needs a 720p flatpanel except early Wii games which can go on CRT.

8th gen is needs a 1080p flatpanel except WiiU which is fine on 720p.

Plasma has better picture quality than LCD but you need to be careful of burn in (do not forget the game in menu mode overnight).
>>
>>3796605
Plasma "burn in" isn't permanent though. It's an interesting combo of lingering awareness of crt burn in exacerbated by plasma image retention being very common. It goes away after a little while though.
>>
>>3796580
Xbox's don't require a hardmod either, the softmod for an Xbox is pretty simple provided you have a memory card and a copy of Mechassault, Splinter Cell, or one other game I can't think of at the moment. It's very simple.
>>
>>3796632
007:AUF
>>
File: 9tIuPBH.png (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
9tIuPBH.png
28KB, 640x480px
>>3796540
You can run ReactOS.

So, yup, Xbox does indeed offer significantly greater retro game selection.

Or, as another aspect of the same essential feature, you can run wine.

Or if you were to run linux versions of programs, you should in theory be able to use mods made for the windows versions, though this would not have particularly broad use.

Also, some emulators are written in X86 assembly language, most infamously ZSNES. The motorola 68000 chip in particular had many emulation libraries for it written in x86 assembly, so that should help somewhat for arcade emulation.
>>
>>3796652
Is it possible to modify a keyboard and mouse to plug into and work with the Xbox to play windows games like Brood War and Diablo?
>>
File: hi_res.png (3MB, 1536x1424px) Image search: [Google]
hi_res.png
3MB, 1536x1424px
>>3796540
>>
>>3796670
The xbox controller ports are standard USB, except with different plugs, so its easy to connect stuff to it.
>>
>>3796540
>but aren't there Arcade and N64 games which run in interlaced mode that would be suitable for this?
Arcade there is one or 2, N64 no, and even if there were the xbox isn't powerful enough to emulate the n64.
>How does Xbox emulation accuracy compare to the Raspberry pi?
Raspberry pi is a joke
>>
For Wii,no 32x emulator exist...
But the Xbox pads are good only for 3D games but on Wii you have a choice of pads.
>>
>>3796540
Sure. The xbox is smaller, lighter, and has better a better screen and battery life than the PSP. kek
No. There are really few reasons to use an xbox. In fact if you have to ask the benefits are so obscure they're irrelevant to you.
>>
>>3796540
If you already have an xbox. That's the reason, If you have one, then why go out of your way for the other?
>>
File: keyball controller 261.jpg (343KB, 1680x1320px) Image search: [Google]
keyball controller 261.jpg
343KB, 1680x1320px
>>3796670
a modified mouse? something like this?
>>
xbox emulators are pretty dated and the controller isn't very good. The console is only particularly good for itself, unless you want a more casual emulation experience. I'd say stick with the Wii if you're really going to settle for the inferior experience of emulation.

The original Xbox does have an amazing library however.
>>
Original Xbox has the library, and alot more flexibility for controllers if you dont mind daisy chaining a bit. There are Keyboard/Mouse adapters for Xbox specifically plus once you introduce a Playstation to Xbox adapter the possibilities are damn near endless.

I currently use an Xbox as the guts of my MAME coinops arcade stand up. I am a tech pleb so I try to keep things plug and play but the setup I have is:

40 inch Pioneer Plasma 4:3 screen
OG Xbox w/ scart cables
Coinops 5 (need to get it updated to 8)
Arcade Forge SLG in a Box (cuz Scanlines)
X-Arcade Joystick

So far my only problems with it is that it runs Midway sports games (see NBA JAM) w/ frame rate issues. But I imagine with an updated Coinops that would be fixed.
>>
>>3796613
>Plasma "burn in" isn't permanent though. It's an interesting combo of lingering awareness of crt burn in exacerbated by plasma image retention being very common. It goes away after a little while though.

Will the Plasma burn-in go away if you leave if unplugged for a few weeks or does it have to be on playing a screen saver/pixel flipper to heal from the burn?
>>
>>3797974
Running snow for like 5 minutes usually fixes it. I suspect if you left it off for a long ass time it probably would too but the snow is much better.
>>
What's the point of running emulators on an old console rather than on a modern PC?
>>
>>3798291
Many babies believe it's not possible to plug a PC into a TV. Like it violates the laws of physics or something. Also, daddy won't let them move his computer into the living room.
>>
>>3798428
But m-muh 240p
>>
>>3798440
Which Xbox doesn't support.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.