[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Feeding a console to an analog signal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

Hey all. I have the nostalgic analog feel in me and recently came to the idea of feeding a console to an analog signal via RF. Analog TV has been switched off here for many years so Im looking for my old set to pick up a UHF signal from my consoles, namely PS1, PS2, N64.

I dont know where to start. I am thinking of connecting an AV to RF cable from console to the TV set but is that enough? How will I know what VHF/UHF frequency it is 'broadcasting' on? Maybe its necessary to have a VCR (or perhaps a digital receiver that has RF output) for this to work...?
>>
>>3796305
All of those consoles have native RF output just connect it to the coaxial input and check channels 2, 3 & 4 you could also actually clip it to a TV so old it only had twinscrew connections.
>>
N64 has an RF adapter via the multi-out port that can be picked up on channel 3 or 4
>>
>>3796305
This question doesn't make any sense. Yes, connecting a console's RF adapter to the ANT-IN on an analog TV will work. That's literally what it's for. It is "broadcasting" on channel 3 (or 4, as selected by a switch on some consoles).

This was the normal way of hooking up game consoles (not to mention camcorders etc.) to TVs for decades. I can't imagine how you are unfamiliar with this.
>>
File: rf_modulator_final.jpg (15KB, 250x237px) Image search: [Google]
rf_modulator_final.jpg
15KB, 250x237px
>>3796305

Start from simple. If it doesn't work, move on to VCR, etc.
>>
A lot of people don't know this, but you don't actually even need the RF adapter if you don't have anything else hooked up to the TV. There is an RCA RF-out port on the back of NES, SNES, Genesis Model 1 & 2, etc. consoles that you can feed directly to the ANT-IN on a TV and see on channel 3. You would need some kind of RCA-coax adapter (or a pair of wires jammed in appropriately) though.
>>
Is there a way I can transmit the analog signal of the console within my house? I am thinking of a antenna amplifier but Im pretty sure a VCR is necessary to transmit it.
>>
Also if I connect a device by RF will it give that old school analog TV feel? e.g. the video quality, and the static and white noise
>>
File: 222048063200_1[1].jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
222048063200_1[1].jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>3796331
No. None of those devices is a radio transmitter, and you do not know how to build one. It is also illegal.

You know you need to connect a VCR to a TV to use it right? I feel like I am talking to a person with a mental illness.

If you want to put the image from the console on multiple TVs, the way to do that is to use a splitter (like this), which you probably have lying around your house somewhere.
But I can't see any reason why you would want to do that, because you wouldn't be able to control the console!
>>
>>3796342
Im aware I need to connect a VCR to a TV to use it, im not dumb. I was talking about an antenna amplifier for analog transmission.

As for putting the image on multiple TVs, I know there are stuff like splitters available, but i specifically am looking for an analog way, not for a 'long-term usage' but mostly experimental
>>
You want to broadcast your Mario64 speed run live so CRT owners nearby can tune in?
That's really cool.
But you will get fined by ZOG and they might confiscate your N64.
>>
>>3796331
I have one. I think I have it on channel 23 right now but I have nothing feeding it. Maybe I should build it into a little display and feature a console on it.
>>
>>3796364
>specifically am looking for an analog way
Everything I have described is analog.
>>
>>3796371
>>3796305
This. Its cool to broadcast your games over the air but it would be difficult
>>
File: 1317515051_35_FT10090_con83[1].jpg (39KB, 640x486px) Image search: [Google]
1317515051_35_FT10090_con83[1].jpg
39KB, 640x486px
>>3796469
It's not
>>
>>3796305
>feeding a console to an analog signal
I find it works best if you put the console on a spoon and hold it up to the analog signals mouth and say "here comes the airplane"
You probably want an RF modulator

>>3796314
Actually none of those consoles have native RF out champ.
>>
>>3796586
>You probably want an RF modulator
No, and RF modulator is the opposite. An RF modulator is to plug a composite video signal into the ANT-in of an old TV with no composite input. This OP is asking to do it exactly the other way around.

>Actually none of those consoles have native RF out champ.
PS1 definitely does, and I think the same RF adapter works on PS2 although I'm not sure. N64 needs an RF modulator.
>>
>>3796627
No, that's exactly what OP is asking for. Not sure if you have reading comprehension problems or are just retarded

The PS1 has native RF but needs and RF adapter. Well that answers the first question. Retarded it is.
>>
>>3796704
OP wants to look at the RF output of his consoles using the composite input of his TV.

Consoles like the PS1 natively have an RF signal available on one of the pins of their video connector, which can be broken out with the RF adapter, but OP won't be able to view that signal through a composite input without some kind of tuner.

How would an RF modulator help in this situation?
>>
I have a Sega Game Gear with the TV tuner. It would be cool to be able to broadcast the consoles via UHF so it can be watched on the Game Gear. Analog has been dead in my area for years and it would be cool to use the tuner on my Game Gear again. I doubt anyone near me uses an analog tuner so I should be able to transmit it only for myself, using an antenna amplifier and I think a VCR.

Like I said this is just fun experimental stuff, so don't ask why I'm trying to achieve this.
>>
>>3796721
Well OP says the opposite but I'm sure you know better. kek

The PS1 doesn't have RF one one of the pins. If you know better then which pin is it then sport?

You could use the RF modulator to repeatedly smash your head. It might help. Couldn't make things worse.
>>
File: ps1_adapter_rf_Sony.jpg (104KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ps1_adapter_rf_Sony.jpg
104KB, 1000x1000px
OP is definitely not a native English speaker so be patient.

OP, if you want to play PS1, PS2, or N64 on an old tv over RF, that's easy, buy the appropriate cable and connect to the coax port. Pic related for the Sony version.

If you're trying to broadcast game footage so that a tv with an antenna (rabbit ears) can pick it up over-the-air, without any cable connecting the console to the tv, that's probably impossible.

>>3797906
If I'm not mistaken the RF signal from like PS1 and N64 is just composite video + audio joined together.
>>
This whole fucking thread guys, holy shit
>>
>>3797960
If I'm not mistaken
You're mistaken. kek

Also, it's easy to broadcast from a console. I even have console that has this feature built in. Using it would probably violate broadcasting regulations but since no one uses analog TV any more it's likely no one would notice or care.

Keep up the good work sport. It's always nice to see someone trying so hard to share their ignorance with the world.
>>
>>3797960
Broadcasting is piss easy.
All you have to do is put a antenna of the proper length on the end of the console's coax output.
Range is short, but that's ok.

The first Pirate TV stations were made using VCR composite to RF modulators and a small radio amp.
>>
>>3798102
>since no one uses analog TV any more it's likely no one would notice or care
You couldn't be more wrong there, kiddo

Obviously the spectrum that was once reserved for analog TV is still in use for other purposes now. Why do you think they cleared it in the first place? And the FCC is famous for actually enforcing on pirate radio transmissions infringing on commercially leased frequencies. If you or OP is outside the US though, I don't know the deal.
>>
>>3798218
You couldn't be more hilarious there, kiddo

Obviously you can fill us in on what other purposes band I is now being used for in the US that's going to be such a problem. I fucking love it when fools spout off without having a fucking clue what they're talking about.

Yes, the ultra high power pirate radio transmission that can't make it through more than a few sheets of drywall is certainly going to set off alarm bells at the radio police who will back trace you and send a party van. They'll be checking mattress tags as well so better sew those back on. Make sure you don't have any ROMs older than 24 hours.

Based on his English skills I'm guessing OP is outside the US, or will be shortly courtesy of Herr Trump. I am as well.
>>
Yeah I am outside the US.

For the person that said broadcasting is pretty impossible, you're wrong there. Like the other anon said it is simple and very possible, as has been demonstrated by some people (like on instructables). It's a cool little experiment to try out. I am hoping to 'watch' my consoles on my old Sega Game Gear with its UHF tuner.

And for those who say the police van will come to my house, I really think it's exagerration. Firstly the broadcast will probably only be picked up by neighbors. Secondly it would require someone to tune into UHF, and who would do that when analog TV has been dead for years here. Im surely the only person in my street to do something like this anyway.
>>
>>3798927
Also, transmitting non-continuously under 100mw on unused bands is legal without any licensing or paperwork.
>>
>>3798412
The same VHF spectrum is still used for broadcasting digital television. US "channel 3" falls within Band I.

>>3799307
It's not an unused band
>>
>>3799314
Sorry, typo, meant to say unused frequency.
VHF is a reserved band, but if the frequency you are using isn't being used at the moment, then you can temporarily broadcast under 100mw.
>>
>>3799314
>broadcasting digital
Nope. Wanna try again champ?
>>
>>3796305
>How will I know what VHF/UHF frequency it is 'broadcasting' on?
You can just tune it in to whatever channel you want, m8. Not having a go at ya here, but are you American, by chance? It always seems to be the Yanks who are used to plug & play, whereas here you always had to tune a console in before you could use it. The concept of TV's having a preset channel tuned into the frequency that a console outputs to is bizarre & foriegn to me. I'd want to retune it anyway to make sure I got the best quality.

Anyway, unless your box is old enough to have a wooden finish I'd say auto-tuning should be a single button press on the remote, and then you might have to 'store' the channel to save the settings. It's easy peasy lemon squeezy.
>>
>>3796586
When we say "native" it means it can support it without modifying the actual hardware. PS1, PS2, and N64 all have native RF output, you just need the adapter for them to work is all.
>>
>>3800281
I originally posted that claim, but even I would admit that the N64 needs what amounts to an RF modulator with a composite input to produce an RF signal.
>>
>>3800281
>when we say we we mean the voices in my head.
Epic kek kid. Daily reminder that you have to be >=18 to post here. See you in a few years.

>>3800245
>a new tard appears
>isn't that special
>as in olympics
>>
>>3796305
use a vcr you pleb
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiMz1uGCXI&t=708s
>>
>>3796331
Sticking a bare wire into the coax out will act as a weak antenna.

You can use a splitter backwards to join the 3 and 4 channels from two consoles together and send it through the cable in your house, assuming you dont have a stronger signal overiding it, from something like ota.

You can buy old consumer rf modulators to do consoles that dont natively have rf out.

You can get old broadcast modulators to broadcast on almost any channel.
>>
>>3798218
>>3798412

>kiddos kidding kiddos

You both will be dead in 20 years. Enjoy the maggots eating your flesh.
>>
>>3801139
In 20 years you'll still be living the virgin life in your parents basement. Us dead guys will be better off than you.
>>
RIP /vr/.
>>
>>3796337
>Also if I connect a device by RF will it give that old school analog TV feel? e.g. the video quality, and the static and white noise

No. You're probably thinking of tracking on a VCR while playing an abused VHS.
>>
>>3802526
If he uses shit quality coax it'll also look like that.

Also, I feel the need to say that all video signals up to and including DVI are analog.
RF, composite, S-Video, component, RGB, VGA, and DVI-I all use analog signals.
>>
Page 11 bump
>>
>>3802537

Now there's a hip idea, son

Let's play our retro vidya in a snow storm
>>
>>3805043
Let's see. We'll use paperclips for the coax wire, make sure none of the connections are tight, and place a microwave nearby.
That ought to do the trick.
>>
>>3805059

Now we just need to pass the footage thru a digital converter to stream live on twitch. How we gonna do that?

Firewire?
>>
>>3806269
No, Firewire is actually a good standard, how about we use USB 1.0 instead
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.