[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mac gaming thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 250px-IMac_G4_sunflower7.png (57KB, 250x319px) Image search: [Google]
250px-IMac_G4_sunflower7.png
57KB, 250x319px
Can PPC OSX Macs such as the G4, G5, and Ibook run pre OSX games such as the Marathon series?
>>
>>3796164
You need to have Claasic OS installed, but yes they can, and if I am not mistaken it works only til Mac Os X Tiger 10.4
>>
>>3796169
This. However, a fair few games, including the Maratjon trilogies have been made to work on Mac and PC.
>>
>>3796180
>Modern Mac.
>>
What are the must play PPC mac games?

What are the different "Gens" of Mac gaming?

Does it go Apple II, 68K Mac, PPC Mac, Intel Mac?

Can pre-OSX PPC Mac games be considered a different gen than OSX PPC Mac games (90s vs early 2000s)?
>>
>>3797972
Most games on the Mac are clones but Power Pete, Shufflepuck Cafe, Lunicus and Dark Castle are pretty good.

Everything from System 1 till 6, since 7 to 9 seems to be more colorful.

In what way? Performance? Quality?

Don't think so, since everything that is made on/for OS X PPC Mac's are sure to work with older Mac's (I think)
>>
>>3796169
Or better than Classic, boot up OS 9 directly. Can be done on most G4s and earlier, up to ~2003.
>>
>>3797972
>Does it go Apple II, 68K Mac, PPC Mac, Intel Mac?

That's the order those platforms were released in, yeah.

>What are the different "Gens" of Mac gaming?

There aren't strict gens since there's overlap any way you divide them up. Many games ran in both b&w and color, "fat" games ran natively on both 68K and PPC, "carbon" games ran natively on both OS 9 and OS X, "universal binaries" ran natively on both PPC and Intel. It was in publishers' interest to do this to maximize possible audience. Those are the major transitions, though.

>What are the must play PPC mac games?

Popular ones: Marathon series, Escape Velocity series, Glider Pro
Hidden gems: Ares, Bumbler Bee-Luxe, Odyssey: Legend of Nemesis
>>
>>3796164
I can't think of anything that was mac only.

The Jedi Knight series, Tron 2.0, Marathon, Myst, Ultimate Doom, X-Plane, and Mechwarrior 2 are all available on PPC.

If you like Tetris, there's Wesleyan Tetris for 68k.

I'd also grab a nVir scanner, since a ridiculous amount of programs are infected.
>>
>>3799635
Are there strict gens on consoles where you have multiple companies instead of just one?
>>
Some early OS X Macs could dual boot OS 9 and OS X, up until around 2002/03. Some games don't work in Classic mode and must be booted into OS9 to work.

Then for a few years, around 03-05, you lost the ability to boot into 9 but you could still use classic mode (10.4 or older).

Pretty much anything that works on early PowerPC Macs should work on a G3/G4 in OS9. And for older 68k Macs, the Basilisk emulator works perfectly.
>>
>>3799651
Most major games were ported to Windows. The most notable Mac-only games are stuff like shareware, from Ambrosia Software and others.

Actually, the Mac version of X-Wing is the best on any platform. The original Windows release ran at 320x200 resolution, and the "special edition" ran on the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter engine at 640x480 but got rid of the dynamic midi soundtrack.

The Mac version, and the Mac version only, got a release in the middle (the collector's CD) that uses 640x480 graphics while keeping the midi audio. This version was never released on Windows.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.