[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Raspi 1 emulation setup?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 20170212_120502.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170212_120502.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey guys, i dont know if I should ask /g/ about this but since I know many people here have one and use it for emulation purposes I might as well ask here.
What's a good setup for a raspi 1 model B? I don't know what revision I have so it's either 256mb ram or 512mb. Do I put in RetroPie? Or some other emulator? Up to what can I run with the model 1? I've heard of people overclocking the CPU a bit to run games more smoothly, should I do this? Thanks
>>
>>3795231
Use retropie as your OS.

I'm not sure how well the pi 1 runs because I use a pi 3, but I would say as long as you stick to the 16 but era and earlier you should be fine. You shouldn't need to do any overclocking or anything. If you need more horsepower just buy a newer raspberry pi, theyre the same price.

Mine will emulate the ps1 perfectly, as well as mame roms that are roughly contemporary with the 32/64 but era. N64 emulation kinda works but not really (no surprise there). Tg-16 and pc engine games work but getting the bios and cue files to work are a pain.
>>
Inb4 that insecure anon comes in calling it a memeberry with redditpie and calls anyone who uses them 'kids'
>>
>>3795231
I wouldn't go above 16 bit with the rpi1 if that. Even with overclocking, which you shouldn't do unless you set up some sort of cooling for it, you will run into issues.

The rpi3 runs PSX with no issues, even when not overclocked in my experience
>>
>>3795361
those are retron shills. This is their worst nightmare.

I can undestand, considering the pi is so much cheaper.
>>
>>3795365
Cant really buy a new rpi
Too expensive in my shitty 3rd world country, like 80$ usd, i have a friend in the US who shipped this to me and i dont want it to go to waste. Would 16 bit include gba
>>
>>3795408
Yeah the GBA is pretty much an SNES so I think you should be fine. I think
>>
>>3795374
Just curious, do you actually believe retron pays people to post here?
>>
>>3795481
Sometimes people have a reaction to buyer's remorse that involves doubling down on the cognitive dissonance--people who spent too much money on a retron might shitpost on alternatives to make themselves feel better.
>>
>>3795494
I think it's mostly people who collect original hardware and carts and resent people who emulate, because his dare you enjoy the same hobby without spending as much money. They're supposed to be special!
>>
>>3795506
Woah there buddy. That has nothing to do with retron.
Collecting is legit and if I had the money I would too, but one thing is collecting and another thing is shilling what is basically a clone console
>>
>>3795494
I see. I think calling that shilling is misleading but I get what you're saying.
I have never seen a positive post here about any of the retron stuff though, and I come here quite a lot.

>>3795506
I suspect this is so true too. I think it's rarely resentment though. They believe that having original hardware is superior so they genuinely think they are better than people who emulate. I think it's revealing how much these people shitpost compared to emu users.

(I use a flastcart and don't pretend that objective hierarchy exists here, not making any judgements on carts vs Roms, just perceived patterns from the users).

>>3795527
By your definition of shilling, you could argue that collector friends are shilling original hardware, and by proxy eBay sellers etc. I think anons point is definitely valid for some folks around here.
>>
File: 1324094419342.gif (2MB, 149x138px) Image search: [Google]
1324094419342.gif
2MB, 149x138px
>awesome retro shop down the road
>have frequent /vr/ tier discussions about what have you
>Emulation is a dirty word to the employees
>they are using a retron 5 to test games
>point out it uses emulation
>"not really"
>why?
>"it uses carts"
>>
>>3795551
Fucking lol. I wish people had the honesty to handle their cognitive dissonance. a retron 5 makes sense as something to test carts with regardless of how you feel about emulators.
>>
>>3795527
The Retron 5 is so far from a clone console. It's a linux box running stolen libretro cores that just happens to have cartridge slots on it. You can't even play the games directly from the cart, you have to dump the ROM. Add to this the inability to play your own ROM collections and this places the Retron 5 way, way behind a Pi3 running the same damn emulators.
>>
>>3795561
>a retron 5 makes sense as something to test carts
Until someone comes in with a copy of Race Drivin' and you refuse to take it because it makes the emulator crash.
>>
>>3795619
2 things make me real fuckin mad
>playing consoles older than PS3 on an HDTV
>playing a retron
>>
>>3795619
You are correct but how often do you honestly expect that to happen? I dont think i have seen a copy of that game in open circulation for 5 years
>>
>>3795561
I think >>3795551's point was that they are idiots because they don't seem to understand what emulation actually is

I don't think there is any "mental gymnastics" happening here, they're just ignorant
>>
>>3795647
They probably just dont want to hurt cart sales
>>
>>3795231
If you don't know the difference between retropie and an emulator use retropie. It's designed just for people like you. The aspi 1 model b will run everything up to SNES fine and most SNES games "acceptably"
>>
>>3795231
Don't fall for the reddit pie meme. Do it properly and build yourself a small PC.
>>
>Use retropi/Hacked psTV to play retro games I can't find while retro hunting

Its really not that bad except for the lack decent 64 emulation. Some of the stock Emulators/settings on the RetroPi are shit but its an easy fix.
>>
>>3795506
No one cares that you emulate...
>>
seens you guy are talking about raspberry pi, do you guy have tested lakka or retrobox? are any better than retropie?
i want to emulate only nes and gameboy games, should i use a fan on a raspberry, if thats the only use?
>>
>>3797098
Retropie or Lakka pick one. Sure Recalbox is easier to get running in the beginning but the readonly fileystem by default is a pain if you want to mess with things in the future.

Heatsinks are cheap enough that they should just go on anyway but a fan seems like overkill unless you're touching ps1.
>>
>>3797179
lakka plz
>>
>>3795361
>triggerd as fuck
You sound pretty insecure about your memeberry there kiddo. Could be pent up sexual frustration from unplayable lag in SNES strip tetris games because it has less power than your grans feature phone.
>>
File: power-stick.jpg (170KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
power-stick.jpg
170KB, 1024x683px
>>3795231
Do you happen to have lots of old genesis controllers accessible? Hooking up one of those through GPIO should fit like a glove. A modest CRT TV also sounds like a matched thing you should have at hand.

It's not going to run SNES games well. So your practical limit would be multi-8-bit and a few 16 bit arcade games, which would tend to only use two buttons. There may be an occasional 4 button game that would still run great that would present an issue. Even Amiga is fine with a 2 or 3 button controller, I think Atari ST too.

But you'd surely want to be able to get mame working, and maybe some 8 bit computer emulators too.

Source ports would also be of particular interest for you with a pi1.

There's or course the question of how many players this is meant for.
>>
>>3795481
Yes. They pay people that do that sort of thing to floodpost all over.

No, they do not really get particularly eager to specifically post here, they'd much rather make that kind of shill post to a dozen different places at once.

But damn straight they're doing it. Their whole mission is automating that whole endeavour more and more, scaling it up as much as possible.
>>
Raspbian has a ZX spectrum emulator in the repositories, that fits a Pi1.
>>
>>3795231
Rp1 can barely do 8-bit emulation, SMB3 has fucked up sounds and a majority of SNES are even worse. Go for the RP3
>>
>>3795642
It may not happen often, but the fact that it happens at all is enough of a reason not to trust it.
>>
>>3798559
Having 6 systems hooked up all the time over the vague possibility of a handful of games coming through the front door seems like a waste in comparison.
>>
>>3795551
Shit like that would make me not wanna support that shop since they don't even know what the hell theyre selling. Don't give a fuck if stores sell emulator boxes or anything as long as they know what theyre selling.
>>
>>3799528
So you'd be happy if the merchant there was intentionally selling emulator boxes, and was knowledgeable enough to get evasive about it, eg. telling someone who knew something to be an emulator box that it's "actually part authentic hardware, integrated together with emulation"?

That way you'd be treated to an NES and Master System emulator using a Zilog EZ80!
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.