[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some games that haven't aged well?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: 1344568545534.jpg (23KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
1344568545534.jpg
23KB, 569x428px
What are some games that haven't aged well?
>>
Your mom and Goldeneye
>>
The ones you suck at.
>>
The ones struck by data degradation.
>>
Gorf
>>
Wacky Wheels and Juke Nukem 3D
>>
umodded Half Life 1 looks like butt
>opinions
>>
Both the first Final Fantasy and Dragon Quests I consider the quintessential examples of games which aged badly.
>>
>>3794025
only Dragrind Quest
>>
Some kids don't recognize how bad most games are until they grow up. They then say those games "aged."
>>
>>3793837
Super Mario Bros 3 became pretty obsolete once Mario World was released.
>>
>>3794036
Nah man. FF too. That whole "Whiff at the air a recently-killed enemy once occupied" aspect is intolerable.
>>
>>3793837
Dragon Quest 2 is terrible now.
>>
>>3794037
In some cases. But it mostly it's the fact that significantly better games come along bringing new innovations which then become standard, thus making the older games look bad in comparison.
>>
Altered Beast
>>
>>3794045
I think that mechanic makes sense as simulating multiple characters overkilling a single target. But it doesn't mesh well with a game that features frequent simple battles, because having to enter the same split-targeting sequence over and over gets old.
>>
>>3794053
That's not true at all. If the game is shit now it was shit before. It doesn't matter about what comes out now if the game can still stand on its own.
>>
>>3794080
This is the "games don't age" argument only worded differently.
>>
>>3794084
I'm refuting what you said.
>>
Donkey Kong 64
>>
>>3793837
Gameplay doesn't age.
Peoples' sensibilities change.
>>
Corridor 7 and the like.
Lamborghini America challenge.
NES Simpsons.
Simon's Quest.
Wizard and Warriors 3.
Sonic Spinball.
Takeshi's Challenge.

>>3794036
>>3794052
>>3794064
And this.
>>
Metroid 1 and 2
Most experimental first person games from the early to mid 90's (besides Wolf3D, Doom, Quake)
Most PC games before Doom
>>
File: posting on 4chan.png (60KB, 717x216px) Image search: [Google]
posting on 4chan.png
60KB, 717x216px
>>3794461
God, you people.
>>
>>3794461
I guess that's right, everyone circlejerked over every game in the 80's as if they were the best things ever back in the 2000's, and now many people will come to admit that a lot of things about the 80's were crap. Even the sorta opposite happens where back in 2007, everyone and their pet rock were saying "Super Mario Bros 2 is a shitty game! Fuck it to hell!" and then around 2010 came the whole "Mario 2 was actually kinda good" idea.
>>
>>3793837
70s and 80s arcade games like bezerk and space invaders
>>
>>3793841
Nice meme
>>
>>3793837
Pretty much every PC game that doesnt utilize mouse and custom key binding.
>>
>>3793837
Abe's Oddyssey. Checkpoints every "challenge" instead of arbritrary bird circles would make that game way more enjoyable.

>>3794534
>Takeshi's Challenge
That game is a work of art, and can't age at all. It is the most realistic simulation of being a salaryman who decides to search for treasure then any other game.
>>
>>3794017
>Duke Nukem 3D

You take that back.
>>
>>3794036
I played the original JP version for the first time last year and liked it, though towards the end I was listening to podcasts while grinding. The music, art and dialogue are great.
>>
>>3793837
Some very early disc based games, and a lot if not most of the games that came on magnetic tape / floppy discs. I don't think any cartridge based games have aged notably yet, and seem to recall that it could take centuries before they have bit rot.
>>
>>3794534
>Takeshi's challenge
The game was never good to begin with
>>
File: ab.jpg (125KB, 642x960px) Image search: [Google]
ab.jpg
125KB, 642x960px
>>3794064

Pretty much all the early 3d games, especially n64 games. Too shitty looking to be real 3d, hell most of the 2d games from the previous generation looked better
>>
>>3794581
I work at a middle school and see kids playing wolf3d and doom on the school computers all day.
Hell, there's this tard kid that carries around a PSP and plays doom all day.

Doom won't age for a long, long, time
>>
Pretty much any 5th gen game that wasn't 2d.
>>
>>3793837
text adventures which are picky to how you enter a word
>>
>>3796010
is brutal doom popular with kids? or is the only reason kids play doom is the resurgence of the franchise in popularity with doom 4?
>>
any games that tried to be "realistic" in the early days of 3d usually look like trash now
any games that use control systems that are objectively worse than current ones, like fps that don't use mouse aim
>>
>>3794534
You realize Takeshi's Challenge wasn't supposed to ever be good?
>>
>>3796204
Duke Nukem 3d was not designed with the mouse in mind (thanks autoaim), but I was lucky enough to get the Megaton Edition off steam before Gearbox went full jew and removed it from steam. The game plays even better with a mouse now. Also was fun as fuck loading up the Duke Nukem 64 mod, and playing through that with a keyboard/mouse and revisiting that version of the game.
>>
File: sunny side up.jpg (33KB, 500x412px) Image search: [Google]
sunny side up.jpg
33KB, 500x412px
>>3793837
The PS2 GTAs. It's a shame because I really loved VC and SA when they came out.
>>
>>3796107
This. Absolutely-- trying to play 3D from that era is almost impossible-- low fps and wonky controls-- this isn't a dig at them, developers were trying to experiment with the control scheme for the new era-- most came up WOEFULLY short.
>>
File: 1485028642033.png (351KB, 473x447px) Image search: [Google]
1485028642033.png
351KB, 473x447px
>>3794017
Snacky Heals and Mook Smoochem 3DD
>>
>>3796310
>>3796107
Oh really?

Replayed Tekken 3 recently on an emulator. Prepared for it to look like garbage in HD. Surprise, it looked even better than I remembered. The animations are still astounding.

Vagrant Story, same thing. MGS textures look kinda lame now though.

So IMO it depends on a game. Some hold up much better than others. A lot of old games simply got away with way too much back in the day, like atrocious frame rates and low res raster which looks like shit in anything over 240p.
>>
>>3796257
I still love playing those and I could barely get into IV. V doesn't even interest me.
>>
>>3796367
For me the physics engine and some other minor improvements made in IV have made it much harder to get into the older ones. They're still playable, but I have a lot more nitpicks than I used to. GTA V is still just a watered down IV to me.
>>
>>3796368
I think the reason I like the older ones is because I didn't like the improved physics and realism of the newer games. The goofy chaos and violence of the old game became depressing chaos and violence.
>>
>>3796384
I thought there was plenty of room for goofiness still, I spent most of my time trying to see what kind of ridiculous stunts I could do without killing Niko, granted it wasn't as sanctioned by the game as it was in SA.
>>
>>3796392
Mostly I just found myself feeling really uncomfortable watching some major injury to Niko or an NPC, which never happened with the old games for me. Not sure if it was the ragdoll physics or the sound effects or what, but I fucking hated it.
>>
Any game that was trying to cash in on Mortal Kombat, either by the gore/finishing moves or the digitized sprites, has aged like cheese.
Oh, and[Spoiler] Mario 64 [/Spoiler]
>>
>>3793837
any game that uses passwords for saving
>>
>>3794128
Thats less a case of not aging well, and more a case of a poorly designed game from the get go.

I wish Rare made DK64 as nintendos answer to Crash Bandicoot, instead of being yet another collectathon, and a bad one at that.
>>
>>3796010
Already kinda stated that iD FPSes aged like wine
>>
>>3793837
The Last Ninja trilogy. Goldeneye. 80s/90s WRPGs.
>>3794042
Incorrect, Mario 3 is superior, but only just.
>>
>>3794042
SMB3 had the better level design and powerups
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.