[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 20

File: ffviii.png (19KB, 464x358px) Image search: [Google]
ffviii.png
19KB, 464x358px
What went wrong?
>>
Your butt
>>
>>3789942
/thread
>>
I think what went right would be a shorter, more manageable list
>>
bads who didn't get strategy. ff8 is the second best ff game after the obvious number one.
>>
>>3789923
The game has no identity.
>>
>>3789923
Junctioning.
Drawing.
Shitty localization.
All male characters are cringy regardless of localization.
The gay ass card game.
Choose your destiny: Renzokuken spam or being a babby and waiting through unskippable GF animations. Inb4 muh gf boost.

[/spoiler]It's the pinnacle of Nobou's work, however. The OST is flawless.
>>
>>3789993
Yes, I loved alot of the stuff they did in this game. Junction, gf abilities/health/leveling, triple triad, leveling optional, attack boost (R1), and item refinement just to name a few!
>>
The characters weren't very well developed or deep.
Zell, Selphe, Irvine, and Quistis had their individual moments.
But were otherwise just there to fill party space.

Irvine did his Sniper business at the parade.
Selphe had the Missile Base Crisis.
I guess Zell's moment was in the D-prison. But it was kinda over shadowed by Squall's torture scene and Rinoa and Irvine's rescue.
And Quistis was pretty much irrelevant after the SeeD graduation.

Nothing as significant as 6,7,or 9's cast.
>>
>>3789923
I've never understood the hate for this game. I liked the game play and story. People get waY too pissed off about hating this game.

It makes me think they are the " muh ffVll is best ever ff game, every other game sucks". Type of people, like the earthbound shit!

I usually ignore them, but I can never get the best reasons why they hate it so much. I mean I get it if you don't like it, but don't have a heart attack cause other people do. Fuck!
>>
>>3789998
>junction your strongest magic to attack
>spam limit breaks
>muh sophisticated and advanced tactics
>>3790018
it's just badly paced, its system is the easiest to break in the whole saga and reduces all combat to "press attack" because using magic and GFs is suboptimal. The story sucks ass as well as the characters. Few and bad bosses. The only positive thing I can say about it is that its towns were comfy
>>
how much did you guys pay for Ff8? ive seen it go for $118 in retro game shops
>>
>>3790018
most of the hate came after that spoony review
it's my least favourite of the playstation FFs but not terrible
>>
>>3790014
And aside from their limit breaks, there wasn't any real incentive to pick one character over the other.

huh. I just realize FF8 doesn't have any equipment like the rest of the series. And the weapon upgrades that were kinda negligible too.
>>
>>3790028
My mom bought it for me on vacation when I was 10. That was my souvenir. And I didn't have my playstation with me so I spent the whole week reading the manual and imagining a completely different game based on what I saw in the Pizza Hut Demo disk. I thought Squall was a Navy Seal or something. It was also my first Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>3789923
Guaranteed 100+ replies: The post.
>>
File: 215126646_YBbQk-1050x10000.jpg (161KB, 1050x521px) Image search: [Google]
215126646_YBbQk-1050x10000.jpg
161KB, 1050x521px
>>3790002
That's not true. It's the Gunsword game.
>>
>>3789923

Cookie cutter tier plot I found the Deep Sea Research Ruins and Centra Ruins to be more fascinating than the fucking main story line sadly
But it has my favorite pre-rendered visuals, Delling City is absolutely wonderful looks like something from the Warsaw Pact
>>
level scaling is retarded, it only results in stronger enemies because all your stats are tied to junction. There's no incentive or benefit to it
>>
Story wise the game is pure autism
I am replaying the game currently only got Ultimecias castle remaining.
So il just pick something random that ticked me off.

How the hell is Seifer still in command of the Galbadian military after Edea stops being possessed by Ultimecia? The game itself states that Galbadia is pretty much a military regime with Vinzer Delling as a unifying factor so now that the sorceress is gone I find it rather absurd these military hardliners would not wrestle the country back under control from fucking Seifer.
>>
>>3789923
The gameplay is objectively shit, fuck drawing.

The MC is kinda cool and relatable up until his backstory reveals that he's just a gigantic pusscake afraid of having his feelings hurt.

Honestly the best thing about it is the FMV direction, which is still the best of the franchise to date.
>>
9/10·Steam
90%·GameFAQs
9/10·IGN.com
90%·Metacritic
>>
File: 1479055738971.gif (999KB, 296x259px) Image search: [Google]
1479055738971.gif
999KB, 296x259px
>played ff8 to disc 3
>not really liking it, though it does have some cool moments
>start questioning myself
>"wait...if I'm not having fun or enjoying this at all...why am I playing it?"
>stop playing
>never played it again

I don't hate it or anything, I just couldn't get into it. I was considering beating it anyway since I was already halfway, but my god, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
I can't really find anything totally legit to bash this game for to be honest. It was just a bit too dull to me, especially in comparison to the other FF's and other RPG's.

On a positive note,my favourite part of the game was Quistis.
God damn, she's fucking gorgeous.
>>
>>3790174
>disc 3

Esthar was complete utter trash when you went from locations such as Dollet,Timber,Delling City,Missile Base etc
>>
Wait. FF8's magic system was suppose to be card based? That's where the "Draw" command came from?

I never knew that. The in-game notes explain it as para-magic that's stored in your mind with the aid of G.F.s, which is different from real magic that sorceresses use.
>>
>>3790165
and yet the game is shit. amazing how that works
>>
>>3790174
I've played through FF8 three times now and each time stopped at Lunatic Pandora. Something about that place is just a roadblock for me.
>>
>>3790174
Sounds like you had a mood swing, that's all.
>>
>>3789923
e-celebs and e-celeb drones
>>
>>3789923
After Tactics it was just too hard a mountain to climb.
>>
>>3790112
They probably would have, and just humored the super powered mercenary and his scheme to use a Jenga block to summon moon-monsters to destroy their biggest rival nation.
>>
>>3789923
I loved FF8 and I still like it a lot.

My only problem with it is:

-The way that you can spam a button to enable limit break sounds like a huge oversight.
-The way that limit breaks works to begin with, JUST low HP to spam a super move? With no cost or charge time at all? Limit breaks are the most wrong thing with the game imo.
-You can also spam GF a lot with no cost and their animations are a bit too long, a option to reproduce a shorter version (like FFX) would be pretty great.
>>
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/2922-final-fantasy-viii-requiem-v121/

Thoughts in this mod?
>>
>>3789923
I got this:

Gameplay sucks because I was a dumbass who played through every battle by Drawing 100 of every magic from every enemy and then proceeded beat those enemies by summoning GFs over and over again!
The orphanage scene is the most retarded thing I have ever seen because it definitely comes out of nowhere and definitely isn't foreshadowed at all!
Level scaling sucks because it exposed me being bad at RPGs and I lost my ability to simply grind for levels in order to win instead of paying attention to the junction system!
The junction system sucks because it was too complicated for me as a kid and now that I know shit it is easily broken making the game too easy meaning the game somehow automatically breaks itself!
The card game is shit because I suck at it!
Ultimecia is the worst villain ever because she comes out of nowhere, isn't foreshadowed by all and doesn't have any background or clear motives for her actions!
Squall sucks because he is an emo and the rest of characters suck because they are retards!

Did I forgot anything important?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
>>3791263
Is this sarcasm
>>
>>3791263
>Squall sucks because he is an emo and the rest of characters suck because they are retards!

But this is actually correct though.
>>
File: 06.jpg (37KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
37KB, 600x800px
rinoa was cute and quistis was hot

fight me, nerds
>>
>>3791398
>rinoa was cute
Incorrect
>quistis was hot
Correct
>>
>>3791263
>The orphanage scene is the most retarded thing I have ever seen because it definitely comes out of nowhere and definitely isn't foreshadowed at all!
What did you mean by this? They drop hints of there being a past between them all especially with Quistis and her "big sister" personality and Irvine who actually remembers their past
>>
I just want to know if this is worth playing before I go into KH. Is this just heavily flawed but good or just a shitshow?
>>
>>3789923
I absolutely hate this game, but I think it's fair to say the thing that went right was that they didn't just copypasta FF7, and I think that's what annoyed a lot of people at first.

The junction system is just awful, though. I never found it engaging, complex or fun. Your party members are ultimately just the product of their junctions, so they have no real individuality. The junction system takes what should be a simple, straightforward aspect of an RPG (managing stats) and turns it into the most needlessly tedious mess. You spend time drawing or refining spells, just to give your characters serviceable stats. The fact that this is done with spells is just so weird, since it then becomes disadvantageous to use those spells, as it will lower your stats. All of this should be easy, or even passive, but instead the game charges you with this awful task in a way that just makes no sense. FF8 is like a car that has no tires, and you're forced to build tires yourself out of detergent jugs and duct tape.

Then I always hear the argument "HURRR, junctioning is easy, and you can get so powerful you never need GFs or spells", and honestly, that's just about the worst defense ever. Just because a system can be exploited doesn't mean it's good.

Now, compare this to the Materia system in FF7, which is better in every capacity. Materia affect your stats, give you new abilities and have a crazy amount of special functions when you link them with each other, and it greatly encourages your creativity and strategy. The act of finding them is fun, and is a byproduct of exploring the game naturally. Equipping them and leveling them to get new skills is also tied to your core gameplay experience. It's all wonderfully intuitive and simple in a way that junctioning could never be.

I get the feeling that in the wake of FF7, the team was looking to do something innovative, but they didn't really stop and take a step back to see if what they were doing was actually good.
>>
>>3791263
>Level scaling sucks because it exposed me being bad at RPGs
I always play my RPGs without grinding, and I was very annoyed by this scaling shit. I just remember that I leveled up in the middle of a dungeon, and suddenly every random battle was taking me 5 minutes to clear.
>>
>>3791443
shitshow
>>
>>3789923

> oh shit our game is horribly broken.
> i know let's do away with leveling.

You literally get the second most powerful weapon in the game before you leave the training island.
>>
>>3789923
i dont like games with a dead MC
>>
>>3790002
>has no identity

It has a lot of problems but it definitely has an identity as being batshit insane
>>
>>3791437
He was being sarcastic
>>
>ctrl+f "whatever"
>0 results
Whatever.
>>
File: Whatever.png (97KB, 870x938px) Image search: [Google]
Whatever.png
97KB, 870x938px
Whatever
>>
>>3790521
That's called your core of sanity. You take risks the more you play past that, in my experience. Bring a friend. Better to play ff8 together and take turns watching, than go mad alone.
>>
>>3791437
That all came out in the same scene on the basketball court.

In retrospect you can see Quistis lost her teaching job because she was being too easy on them. Or just Squall. But we don't really have anything to compare her too.
Maybe in Japan it was understood that an instructor is suppose to be strict and distant with students. And that doesn't really imply she's biased because they grew up together.
>>
>>3789923
Nothing went wrong. FF8 is a great parody of JRPGs, just like Square intended it.
>>
>>3789923
Tried playing VIII for the first time this fall. Really enjoyed it in the beginning, but it just got less and less interesting and fun as it wore on. I was burnt out by the third disc (the White Seed Ship fetch quest was my last straw) and just shelved it. I've picked it up a couple times since but I just can't get into it.
>>
I never played it... Is there any reason for it being bad? Or so worse than the others atleast. Any change in director/team/etc?
>>
>>3789923
Everything.
>>
>>3791865
they just tried to be experimental for the sake of being experimental. From characters and settings (muh realism) to system and mechanics. They just went full retard.

Later they did FFX which was FFVIII done right (I know a lot of people doesn't like FFX either, but hey tried being "realist" and experimental again and got much better results. Sadly it changed the focus of what a FF is)
>>
>>3791894
Damn... I dropped FFX 3 times, it just bores me every time. I tried so hard to like it but I guess it's just not my type of game. Guess I'll pass on FF8 seeing as it doesn't even have Blitzball.
>>
File: ff8.png (435KB, 968x628px) Image search: [Google]
ff8.png
435KB, 968x628px
>>
>>3789923
Junction system needed brain.
Something not everyone has.
>>
>>3791984
>>3791991
>le junction system is so sophisticated and complex
these posters need to shut up. I get the impression that they are just projecting. They sucked at the game back when they were 8 years old, and some years later "they got it" and assumed everyone else was a kiddo like them.

It's not hard given that the game makes you swallow 1000 tutorials about junctioning. And you know the best thing? I bet these who didn't get junctioning got a better experience for it, because at least they didn't know how to break the game easily
>>
FFVIII is fun as fuck, has tons of replayability and has a special place in my heart.

Sure the story is terrible, but the game isn't that bad. Some people place it lower than FFII in their rankings which is insane, coming from someone who has actually beaten FFII.
>>
>>3792002
>Sure the story is terrible, but the game isn't that bad
but what's so good about the core game? We've talked 1000 times about the ills of the junction system, the pacing is the worst of any mainline FF ever, there isn't a memorable battle or gameplay mechanic. The only positive stuff I can say is that the deep research centre was a good sidequest and ultimecia castle a very good final dungeon
>>
>>3791984
>Hur dur anyone who hates my game is just retarded or parroting spoony

>>3792006

sound track was pretty ace. Can't deny that.
>>
>>3792017
true but so is every FF OST until X. Nothing to give plaudits in that context
>>
>>3792017
Also, I like how people using the Spoony argument out themselves as underages. FFVIII was very divisive since its release yet these people act as if it was a game loved by everyone until spoony made his review
>>
>>3792002
>Some people place it lower than FFII in their rankings which is insane

I dunno, getting stronger in FFII feels a lot more satisfying to me than junctioning GFs and stealing magic from enemies
I feel like I've earned my stregth in II, while in VIII I feel like I'd be completely helpless without GFs (I mean come on, you can't even use items without them)
besides, FFII is a NES game which meansso there's less focus on a storyline, which makes the game easier for me to replay
I grew up with the playstation games and love them, even VIII, but going through all that dialogue today is a bit tedious
>>
To me FFVIII stops being "interesting" by Disc 3

The Laguna sections are massively down scaled by this point
Esthar is simply not interesting generic Japan wank fest #9999 it does not even look cool had it been Art Deco style metropolis then maybe there would be some merits to it.
The supporting characters which barely existed in FFVIII by this point are not even part of the story anymore, Balamb Garden is freaking docked at Fishermans Horizon for the rest of the darn game.
>>
>>3791806
More like she lost her job because she was a fucking retard who almost jeopardized a mission just to apologize for hurt feelings. It's like everyone in that game had a collective IQ below 40, with Squall being the outlier.

>>3791905
Well it has triple triad instead,
>>
>>3792050
Not to mention he hates FFX even more yet he had no effect on its popularity.
>>
>>3790008
>Junctioning
Great system, actually allows you to customize your characters.
>Drawing
Not great, but better than every other Final Fantasy. Everyone else uses some variant of the AP system. Kill a monster, get 1AP, 2000 more and your materia levels, or your Esper teaches you a spell, or your armor unlocks a new ability. Being able to just draw to 100 every fight is a lot better than grinding mobs.
>Shitty localization
Weeb complaint.
>All male characters are cringy regardless of localization.
That's what happens when you're 30 and playing a game starring 16 year olds.
>The gay ass card game.
Literally the best side game of any Final Fantasy ever. Blitzball wishes it was this fun.
>Choose your destiny: Renzokuken spam or being a babby and waiting through unskippable GF animations. Inb4 muh gf boost.
Or, since you have infinite magic spells from card and item refinement, cast the applicable magic against the enemy's weakness instead of 3 minute GFs or leaving your characters at 1% HP.
>>
>>3792130
>Great system, actually allows you to customize your characters.

So did the materia system but everyone hated it because of those same reasons.

>Being able to just draw to 100 every fight is a lot better than grinding mobs.

According to >>3791263 that's playing the game wrong.

>Weeb complaint.

Except it changed Squall into a completely different character. Read up on it http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

>That's what happens when you're 30 and playing a game starring 16 year olds.

So you can only enjoy this game if you're a hormonal teenager?

>Literally the best side game of any Final Fantasy ever. Blitzball wishes it was this fun.

I'll give you this one, if only because Blitzball sucked bricks.

>Or, since you have infinite magic spells from card and item refinement, cast the applicable magic against the enemy's weakness instead of 3 minute GFs or leaving your characters at 1% HP.

Why bother when either of those other two strategies work?
>>
File: scrooge.jpg (37KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
scrooge.jpg
37KB, 400x300px
>Let's have the characters earn a scheduled pay check

This sounds neat but there's two major problems

1. There's very little to actually use money on. No equipment barely any weapon upgrades and healing items are nigh useless

2. Why does only Squall get paid? You can contextualize things like this and half ass it. Why aren't Selphie or Zell or anyone else on the pay roll? It just ends up making things more retarded than if monsters dropped money by forcing it to act logically.
>>
>>3792224
Nobody hated Materia you fucking dingus,.
>>
>>3789923
The game is too pretentious for its own good and likes to overcomplicate things just because.
It's not bad but its flaws doesn't make it good.
>>
>>3790008
The card game was god tier.
Fuck you
>>
Its biggest problem by far was its presentation. Nothing is really bad about its battle or character progression systems once you're familiar with them, but it does such a shit job at explaining the systems that it almost encourages you to play the game in the least interesting way. If it did a better job explaining that refining was vastly more efficient than drawing, I think people wouldn't have the vehement hate for it that they do.

Similarly, I think the characters are all at least fine, and in Squall's case, I'd say he's one of the more nuanced protagonists in the series, but the game just refuses to let anyone have screen time other than Squall and Rinoa. If you don't happen to like those two then you really have nothing to keep you going through the story.

>>3790008
>Shitty localization.
I think the localization was one of its strengths. It was the first one since VI that didn't feel like it was just run through a translation program. It had its quirks, but I feel it really worked in the game's favor.
>>
File: Squall-squall-1907385-500-343.jpg (39KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
Squall-squall-1907385-500-343.jpg
39KB, 500x343px
>>3792832
>get paid when you're playing as Rinoa in Deling City
>get paid while you're stranded on a rocket ship in space
>get paid when time has collapsed in on itself and you're kicking down the sorceress's door
>>
>>3792834
Yes they do, I constantly hear about people bitching about how it made every character "the exact same" in FF7, yet they're totally fine with it in FF8 for some reason.
>>
>>3789923

The ugly graphics ruined the game. FFIV has much more charm than this garbage.
>>
File: original.png (453KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
original.png
453KB, 640x480px
The game just aged.

Back on that time everyone was nuts abouts this game, the graphics were incredible... Super realistic (if you think about FFVII and FFVI), the world was amazing to explore, Citys were more awsome than any other RPG...FMV with opera was not exactly a thing at that time (with a few exceptions) even the Junction System complexity was made for us to think that the game was super modern and futuristic like any other RPG before...

The plot? Cmon, most of us were teenagers or children at that time. No one that played the game at the launch did even care about that.

It was a new way to see and play a RPG... A wrong way of course, now we know that we dont need all this shit in a game. But at that time it was a thing.

And I actually enjoyed Squall as a character. Beyond his blnutness and stupidity he actually believed that people should had at least a bit of dignity and work with their own problems instead of crying and ask help for a bunch of muderhobos... FOR YOUR FUCKING SENTIMENTAL PROBLEMS.. I mean, he had a point... He actually said that Rinoa "rebellion" was pure bullshit right on her face. You dont see this much on a RPG...
>>
>>3793003
Too bad the other characters were annoying and one-dimensional as fuck. Especially Rinoa, I get that her crazy stalkerish obsession with Squall was supposed to be "cute" but it was the ONLY thing she ever did.
>>
>>3793003
>The plot? Cmon, most of us were teenagers or children at that time. No one that played the game at the launch did even care about that.

Are you out of your mind? You're going to get really, really bored playing an JRPG if you don't care about the plot. What you could say that we as teenagers were not as critical about the stupid parts of the plot.
>>
>>3792993
Funny, I keep hearing the exact opposite.
>>
>>3793039
>>3793039
Yes, we were not as critical as we are today.

But a RPG is not just about the plot, it is the immersion. It was easy to feel immersion with top graphics, sound quality and things that were far beyond what you saw on other RPG games at that time... The cities, the world size, the npc dialogues.

Today, not so much. Of course the graphics are outdated, we already played countless games with worlds that were much more lived and full of content on system far more powerfull than the old playstation... so byebye "ouch" factor...

But yes, the plot is pure nonsense.
>>
>>3792872
SeeD syndicate just had good lawyers.
>>
>>3789923
It has all the problems of other games, it's far too breakable and even if you don't take the time to break it it's still very easy, like most titles with no strict class system all characters are basically clones with their only difference being Limit Breaks and generally, mechanics that are supposed to work together actually work against each other and so on, all the usual FF complaints apply to VIII really.

On the bright side, it was one of the most interesting and original FF visually and aesthetically, the music was also one of the best works by Uematsu and it's full of nice little details in terms of worldbuilding.
It gets the hate it gets because some people wanted more FFVII at the time, and still, most of the hate is just modern internet hate, when it came out it was a big deal, like all FF games, most people liked it and even praised the Junction system.

Personally, I liked it more than most FF for the sole reason that game designers actually tried this time instead of rehashing the same boring formulas, the result isn't so hot but still, no FF is interesting on the gameplay point of view bar the first two so no skin off my teeth, I appreciate the efforts and will to give the player more control, even though it didn't end up being what I'd call a good game in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>3789923
You were born lol
>>
>>3792993
You must travel in some strange circles. I've almost never heard anything other than praise for Materia.
>>
>>3792862
>It was the first one since VI that didn't feel like it was just run through a translation program.
You gotta be fucking joking. No one's this retarded.

>>3792224
>Read up on it http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart
Holy balls... I'm so sorry for the lazyfags who refuse to learn jap... They get fucked so ridiculously hard sometimes...

About materia, I love the system, it's great. Also haven't heard any big complaints about it.
>>
When it came out most people had only played one game in the series and didn't realize that all of the systems are changed in each installment
>>
Disc 3 was a mistake.

If they changed it completely then maybe the game wouldn't have been so hated.
>>
File: lionheart.webm (3MB, 672x504px) Image search: [Google]
lionheart.webm
3MB, 672x504px
>>3789923
They haven't made FFVIII:R yet
>>
>>3793869
This is the only retro final fantasy that would actually benefit from a remake.
>>
>>3794073
Actually that would be 9, in that it would make the game not an agonizingly slow piece of shit.
>>
>>3789923
tried too hard
>>
>>3789923

it should had ended with the autistic protagonist becoming Square eunuchs vader

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLB57DOjA8k
>>
>>3794385
Anakin is a great actor there
>>
File: ibigbangtheory7.jpg (150KB, 640x398px) Image search: [Google]
ibigbangtheory7.jpg
150KB, 640x398px
>>3793047
You're describing a literary genre: Fantasy.
Video Game genres are defined by gameplay. A narrative isn't required in an RPG.

While RPGs are practically synonymous with Fantasy. My Asperger's syndrome compels me to point out you're technically wrong.
>>
>>3794412
bazingas
>>
>>3793635
>You gotta be fucking joking. No one's this retarded.
FFI, IV, and VI all read like they were translated word for word with no effort made to localize. FFVI and VIII, while significant departures from the original script in some areas, at least feel like more than a wrote transliteration.
>>
>>3792872

direct deposit nigga
>>
>>3794932
>FFI, IV, and VI
Meant VII, obviously.

>>3794951
Fair, but I counter that with
>can still shop and have items delivered to you while lost in space if you unlocked the ability to open a shop from the menu
>>
>>3795537
>can still shop and have items delivered to you while lost in space if you unlocked the ability to open a shop from the menu

https://youtu.be/pYrRqMHQY7o
>>
File: 99.png (36KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
99.png
36KB, 200x200px
Being the follow up to baby's first JRPG. Nothing is as special as your first time, so inevitably they were disappointed.
>>
>>3796413
My favorite is IX and VIII is still the worst of the "Golden Era" Final Fantasies.
>>
>>3794932
I've read a lot of script analyses that think the English version failed to establish the overarching theme of the march of time.
It's all there. But the significance of it all was buried.

Pretty much all the characters were dealing with the reality that nothing lasts forever and if you miss you're chance to do something. That's it. It's in the past. and you have to leave it behind.

Laguna lost his chance with Julia.
Seifer was losing his chance to graduate to SeeD and live out his romantic dream.
Zell was never on time to get bread/hotdogs
Selphie was never on time for class. Or to stop the missile launch.
Irvine only had 1-shot to assassinate the sorceress.
Quistis' deal was watching students come and go. Pass or fail.
Rinoa and the forest owls were resisting change.

Squall, having abandonment issues, didn't like the idea of becoming a memory (when they thought Seifer was executed). And when Rinoa was in a coma became empathetic about all the things she couldn't do anymore.

Timber lost it's forests. Dollet: cable tv killed the radio star. (that was a joke, but i'm pointing out even technology changes).
Civilizations raise and fall. Pretty much every where you'd go, change was an inevitable outcome.

And of course with Ellone's powers, she'd try to change the past.
>>
>>3792862
>If it did a better job explaining that refining was vastly more efficient than drawing, I think people wouldn't have the vehement hate for it that they do.

It's there, and the game has a lot of small explanations you can access any time through the menu. Maybe that's the problem though, it has too much explanation to do, but so what does that mean, it means that the people who aren't curious about the game's system, people who don't experiment, will have a worse gameplay time.

I really don't see how's that a problem, a RPG game system shouldn't catter to people who don't care about how RPG game systems work.

Out of all main FF games, FF8 is the one which offers the most freedom on how you want to approach the system, so yes people who don't care or can't be bothered to look behind the surface will be lost, they'll blame the game when they should be blaming themselves.
>>
>>3796882
But an RPG system where you can customize anyone any way you like is shit because my autism stops me from having fun with creating my own classes therefore I need preset rigid classes with no customization whatsoever just like FF9 which did I mention is the best FF game ever in fact it's the best game in general ever and everyone should love it and if you don't you're just a FF7 nostalgic fagboy and you should kill yourself kthnxbye
>>
final fantasy 8 has shit pacing after the first disc. I swear, once you reach disc 2 you go from the wizard ladies house to a big pointless city to fucking SPACE with big epic pointless fmvs, and all of this takes less than a few hours. after that I don't know what happened because my disc crashed but by then I was on disc 3 so it couldnt have been much.
>>
>>3796562
>IX is best
Shit taste detected
>>
>>3797157
>"Your taste is shit because is different than mine!"
Not the same Anon but please go kill yourself, Thanks.
>>
>>3797163
>there aren't bad and good games! everything is subjective
post-modernism everywhone
>>
>>3797168
obviously meant 'everyone', wtf is with autocorrect
>>
>>3797168
You shouldn't be proud that you're incapable of understanding that different people have different tastes.
>>
>>3796852
This actually makes the story make more sense.
>>
>>3797168
I'm not saying that there aren't bad games, but that you can't say that someone else's taste is shit just because someone else likes a game that you don't. Believe it or not, someone else may appreciate what you can't and viceversa.
>>
>>3797182
>Believe it or not, someone else may appreciate what you can't and viceversa.

Sadly to many of the mouthbreathing idiots of this board that's a concept that's totally beyond them.
>>
File: I'm just saiyan.jpg (83KB, 634x461px) Image search: [Google]
I'm just saiyan.jpg
83KB, 634x461px
>>3797149
>final fantasy 8 has shit pacing after the first disc
This also applies to FFIX and many people also claim to hate FFVI's World of Ruin using the exact same reasoning. Maybe we should also bring these up whenever we see FFIX and FFVI mentioned? Also let's not forget that Midgar supposedly is the best/only good part in FFVII.

While I'm on the subject of double standards I'd also like to question why people always complain about level scaling and easily breakable system in FFVIII but never mention either when discussing FFT even if it also has both of them (although in FFT level scaling only affects random encounters)?
>>
>>3797250
>Also let's not forget that Midgar supposedly is the best/only good part in FFVII.

Some people say the opposite. Most FF games toss pacing out the window in the second half because that's when the world is open, you have your airship and there are sidequests to do.

>While I'm on the subject of double standards I'd also like to question why people always complain about level scaling and easily breakable system in FFVIII but never mention either when discussing FFT

I think because it breaks VIII even more than it does Tactics. I like the idea of it, like a lot of FFVIII's experimental things, but it didn't work out as well as it could have.
>>
>>3789923
My fingers broke off summoning because I didn't own a turbo controller.
>>
>>3793003
>Cmon, most of us were teenagers or children at that time.
I was 19 or 20. I hated it and wanted to go back to 2D and chibi characters. Then they did that, kind of, for 9 and I still wasn't happy because the combat hate me and my 'I don't use items in Final Fantasy games' rule.
>>
>>3797275
You must be in horrible shape.
>>
>>3797281
Why don't you use items?
>>
>>3797287
I do now. I don't know why I didn't back then. It was some weird teenage autism. I just never had to use them before to the point that uses them felt like cheating.

The first Final Fantasy I played was 6, or 3 or whatever. At the time, other then Dragon Warrior, I hadn't really played any traditional JRPGs. I didn't even use magic in my first playthrough, other then heals, because magic was finite and punches and slashes were forever. I think that was the reason anyway.

I played through all the classic Final Fantasies like that and I have no idea at what point in the in my 20s I gave up all those weird self imposed rules.

Actually, no, I guess I still do stuff like that, as I played through From the Depths recently and refused to use shields or anti-munition systems because I felt that it made the game too easy.
>>
I'm replaying the game now and just got to the start of disc 2. I still don't understand what's going on during edea's speech. She's calling them wretches and making all sorts of threats and .....
the audience cheers.
Then she kills the president in front of everyone and ....
the audience is still cheering.
Rinoa is standing there too and squal and irvine can see her, so the audience should have line of vision to the president too. I considered the crowd being under a sort of spell, but Irvine and squall are there and they're perfectly normal.

Some time later though, in the movie clip where squall jumps in the car and races to the sorceress, it seems like the crowd are fighting galbadian soldiers. But I'm not sure, maybe they're just 'keeping peace'. And wouldn't they act against the sorceress too when they see her kill their president?

That scene always puzzled me and I still don't have a clue.
>>
File: 1272661415421.jpg (186KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1272661415421.jpg
186KB, 1280x1024px
>>3797434
It's implied in the game that Galbadia's current ruler Vincent Deling isn't exactly popular and that he is ruling Galbadia as a dictator comparable to Hitler during his time. Basically he is able to do and say whatever he wants to the people of Galbadia and they have to put up with it. Now it's also implied by Martine that "sorceress creates fear among people" as seen in pic. What I'm getting at with this?

Now consider how the people seeing Edeamecia killing the dictator they hate and declaring herself as their new ruler. Even if they are happy to see the death President Deling they also fear her and are still in a position where they have to put up whatever she desires. This is why the people in parade don't really react to what happens here. There are also some weak theories going on about that mask thing you briefly see during one of the cutscenes prior to these events being some kind of mind controlling tool Edeamecia uses to control people's minds but I think the more logical and realistic way I mentioned above alone is able to explain the lack of reaction or lack different kind of reaction on people here.
>>
>>3792872
Whatever.
>>
I hated the Mission Briefing on the Train and in Deiling City. So slow and unnecessary. You have to watch characters walk across the multiple screens.
You're not even playing.

>>3797434
I'm replaying it now too. I just got Lionheart on Disk 1. The 20 Elnoyle cards were a pain took about 2 hours to get. I picked up a lot of rare cards to refine too. So Quistis has her 2nd best weapon and I have excess pulsar ammo for Irvine.
And everyone is under lv20. So I'm going to cheese the rest of the game.

What I want to know. Since Irvine still had his memory. Did he recognize Edea as Matron or what?
>>
File: dragoon gal.jpg (849KB, 1660x1096px) Image search: [Google]
dragoon gal.jpg
849KB, 1660x1096px
>>3797250
>and easily breakable system in FFVIII but never mention either when discussing FFT even if it also has both of them

BECAUSE XP FUCKING MATTERS IN FFT! You actually gain power by leveling and it's only the non story battles that scale with you.

In FF8 having a higher level means shit. You can junction the same amount of spells at lvl 1 as you can 99 and you don't get your stats from leveling. There is no reason to level in 8 and every reason to level in tactics.
>>
>>3797471
Funny thing is Vinzer Delling not being popular in Delling City makes no sense,

Successfully defended Galbadia from Adell during the Sorceress War
Made Galbadia a world hegemony
Successfully annexed Timber and from what I can see outside the memetic Forest Owls, smashed the local resistance movements
>>
>>3797471

FFVIII Ultimania states Ultimecia cast a spell on the crowd hence nobody reacts to Vinzer dying.
>>
File: ff7-turks.jpg (154KB, 1000x760px) Image search: [Google]
ff7-turks.jpg
154KB, 1000x760px
>>3797471
>It's implied in the game that Galbadia's current ruler Vincent Deling isn't exactly popular and that he is ruling Galbadia as a dictator comparable to Hitler during his time.

That would have been really nice to see. You know for a game about overthrowing an oppressive sorceress, said sorceress didn't really do a whole lot of oppressing.

Talk about a missed opportunity. I mean it's not like Square was ever really bad at making their dictators and tyrants presences felt. We got a good feel of what Shinra, Gesthal and Brahne where doing to the world. Even X-death and Golbez had major impacts on their worlds that we could see, hell the empire from 2 had more a meaningful impact.

Seriously how'd they drop the ball so hard. We see Timber we see cities in Galbadia. They didn't seem so bad compared to anywhere else.
>>
>>3798589
>makes no sense
I don't know why that doesn't make sense.

Deling was a literal tyrant with his hands in all sorts of cakes thanks to Edea/Ulty alone, without her Deling would have never risen to power and "prosperity" means little when you're at war with literally the rest of the world and you live in a police state run by thugs, he ruled the country with fear alone since he could rely on Edea/Ulty's power, that made him look even more weak and petty in the eyes of the general populace.

It's like saying that it's funny people in Moscow or St. Petersburg hated Stalin's or Putin's guts.

>Successfully defended Galbadia from Adell during the Sorceress War
That wasn't even his own doing, Laguna did all the hard work behind the scenes, before that Galbadia was barely resisting and would have collapsed were it not for Laguna infiltrating Esthar to save his daughter and somehow ending up sealing Adell.
>>
>>3791716
I chuckled
>>
>>3798728
What the hell are you even talking about Edea was not even connected with Dellings earlier days during the Sorceress War she was running the damn orphanage.

>he ruled the country with fear alone since he could rely on Edea/Ulty's power, that made him look even more weak and petty in the eyes of the general populace.

Wrong yet again, Martine and even the Galbadian military state they support Vinzer Delling until Edea/Ultimecia got involved in the picture.

>That wasn't even his own doing, Laguna did all the hard work behind the scenes

Yes and the average nobody on the streets clearly know of this
>>
>>3798728

stalin was very popular after the second world and unlike what our local media likes to parrot putin does in fact have quite the support in russia
>>
>>3790018
Same here.

FF8 introduced me to JRPGs and no game has come close to it. My only gripe is that Limit Breaks are too easy to access and magic is one of the weaker attacks in the game.

One thing that game did and has never been surpassed is that it doesnt uses recolors and every enemy is unique.

Loved scaning the enemies, would had loved a monster enciclopedia.
>>
>>3791179
>Removes Meltdown only contribution and makes Doomtrain shit.

Idiotic should had given status immunities to the enemies.
>>
>>3793003
I distinctly remember that you were either with this game or against it. Not because it polarised people so damn much, but insofar as that if you even dare touch Final Fantasy, you got some serious heat.

I remember watching friends play it at their places, and trying to really sell me the game. And I always conceded that the game looked beautiful, that the environements looked interesting, and that it had a certain overall appeal, but the dialogue was cringy anime weeb shit back then, the Gunblade was fucking stupid back then, the Card game was an arbitrary mess of savescumming/guidescumming, and the plot was nonsensical melodrama. Oh, and the combat fucking sucked.

Either you look past those flaws, find it as a guilty pleasure, or you're an anime weeb who thinks all of this shit is perfect. OR you hate the game because the flaws just drag everything else down. That's about it.
>>
>>3796852
I can fully appreciate that. Final Fantasy X sounds like a great story if you abstract it down to that level as well.

Shit, that's some painful human stuff there. Not being able to stop time, regrets, beautiful memories passing...The thing is that beautiful cutscenes and astonishingly great music aside, the characters, the overall design and the presentation mostly work against it.
>>
File: B 001.jpg (25KB, 550x458px) Image search: [Google]
B 001.jpg
25KB, 550x458px
People just get angry and hurt that they have to:
A) Actually understand a story arc
B) Can't button mash and face-roll like in FF VII.

Plus, it's not all kawaii weaboo like FF VII
>>
>>3799914
>Actually understand a story arc

Yes people often find they like their stories to be understandable. You sure showed everyone.

I don't think you thought your argument out as well as you liked.

>B) Can't button mash and face-roll like in FF VII.

You can face roll in this game harder than you can any other because junction is beyond broken. Stack 99 fira spells to your attack and you can one shot most enemies even bosses
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 275x252px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 275x252px
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WvV7IUNra3k

I! AM! PRIVATE FUNNYMAN!

Each and every one of you has dishonoured this entire unit.
>>
>>3798558
>Did he recognize Edea as Matron or what?
I think that's hinted as the real reason he couldn't handle the sniper mission, yeah.
>>
>>3799914
>Plus, it's not all kawaii weaboo like FF VII

It's actually even worse.
>>
>>3789923
For me, it was more fun than 7, couldn't even finish 6. For all it's flaws, it's still worth playing at least 2 times.
>>
>>3797275
I had my first orgasm as I was boosting a GF
>>
>>3800690
River Phoenix was handsome man
>>
>>3801857
I know but still...
>6 belts
>hot topic leather
>gunblade

And that's not even getting into the whole concept of a mopey, anti-social teenager surrounded by hot girls who are turned on by his angsty ways in a school that trains kids to be bad ass magical fighters being the very definition of weebshit.
>>
>>3790028
There are literally 9 copies of it at this retro gaming store near my house. It's like $14 there.
>>
>>3790028
It's like €25 in a retro shop near my house.
>>
>>3789923
nothing, i actually liked the game
>>
>>3789923
>disposable magic
>game leading you to believe drawing disposable magic was the only way to obtain it
>forced love story
>shitty orphanage bullshit out of nowhere
>didn't expand enough on a lot of the world's lore
Other than that it's a great game. One of my favorites in the series.
>>
>>3789923
>useless Laguna dream sequences
>weak main cast
>broken juction system
>m-muh Squall died at the end of cd1
>retard "make Ultimecia succeed so we can kill her" plan

#spoonywasright
>>
I wish Quistis kept with her SeeD attire instead of that pink getup, but I suppose terrible decision making is her only real character trait.

At least Xu had her shit together.
Thread posts: 155
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.