[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think of this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: Ape_Escape_Pal.jpg (306KB, 1409x1387px) Image search: [Google]
Ape_Escape_Pal.jpg
306KB, 1409x1387px
What does /vr/ think of this?
>>
>>3789668
Classic. But I prefer mgs3's version of it!
>>
I haven't played it since I was a kid at a friend's house.
But I still remember a tutorial room filled with water being comfy as fuck.
>>
>>3789668
Amazing.
>>
>>3789668
I remember not liking it because it was my first time ever using an analog stick.
At the time I was wondering why you can't just use the D-pad.
>>
>>3789668
OBJECTIVELY one of the best platformers in the system.
>>
>>3789670
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqeaFVsz30w

The soundtrack was definitely pretty chill.
>>
>>3789696
Well, no shit. PSX had like what, 5 good 3D platformers?
>>
got it a while back
still holds up today, holy shit
i wish more games had analog stick gimmicks
>>
>>3789964
And they're better than the N64 with Mario 64 and the Rareware clones of Mario 64.
>>
>>3791548
The Rareware games are pretty fucking different to Mario 64.
>>
>>3791549
Naw, they were inferior facsimiles.
>>
I know it's not retro but what about Ape Escape 2 and 3?
Are they worth playing?
>>
>>3791567
Had a demo of 2, it was pretty much 1 on steroids. If you liked the original you'll probably like 2 too.
>I know it's not retro
Discussing non /vr/ sequels to /vr/ games is allowed in the proper context. ie you can talk about Mario Galaxy on an Mario 64 general but you can't make an specific thread about it.
>>
File: ape scape.jpg (686KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
ape scape.jpg
686KB, 900x600px
>>3789668
Honestly in my mind I always lump this in with Super Monkey Ball and so I still haven't gotten around to playing it even casually.
>>
Played through it recently. It's pretty good, kinda clunky.

Soundtrack creates a weird but satisfying vibe. The music sounds very amateur, like if you gave someone with a little musical knowledge a copy of fruity loops and a hard deadline. A lot of bad decisions mixed with innovative and unorthodox ones that only come from a beginner's ignorance of the "rules".
>>
>>3791595
Eh, I think the "weird" vibe is proposital, it fits the atmosphere of chasing quirky monkeys.
>>
>>3791665
I have no idea. My gut and the terrible voice acting says it's not, but it doesn't matter. The soundtrack works
>>
>>3791690
Voice acting is a localization problem, though.

Just like FF7 has a clunky translation, it has nothing to do with the original development.
>>
>>3791695
Still shows a lack of commitment to the product. I'll check out the composer and see if he has done much before the game. Would be very interesting to me if they had a lot of experience prior.
>>
>>3791743
Dude had been making tracks for at least ten years prior and ape escape was his second game

https://youtu.be/-01k8eyv9Wc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soichi_Terada
>>
>>3791595
The music is the opposite of amateur lmao. Soichi Terada is a really smart producer and his compositions on ape escape are fucking great. Let me see you try to make some dnb/house tracks like that with just "little musical knowledge and a copy of fruity loops." It will be nowhere near close the quality of AE. Just because it features a lot of repetition doesnt mean its amateur, thats just how house music be, and thats what Soichi made a lot of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZNgKZMRpsM
I only wrote an autistic wall of words because I love Teradas music and it confuses me to see someone call Ape Escapes OST amateur.
>>
>>3791743
>Lack of commitment to the product
Well a lot of times localization matters are either out of the hands of the original devs or simply they dont care about the non-domestic versions of the game enough. It doesnt really reflect on the original game itself and I dont see how its different than the 500 other games of that generation that had awful voice acting and text translations. Thats almost par for the course on ps1, dude.
>>
>>3789668
Man, that cover art is ass compared to the NA version.
>>
>>3789668
One of my favorite games on the system.
>>
>>3791775
That's how i started writing music

I don't think amateur is bad btw.
His records are a lot more interesting and well developed than the OST imo
>>
>>3791873
I wouldn't even put Jumping Flash in the top 10 3D ones for PS1.
>>
>>3791778
That's a good point
>>
I've been emulating the PSP version, the controls are pissing me off big time. I always fucking miss catching the apes even when they're right in front of me.

Are the dual-analogue controls from the PS1 version really that much better?
>>
>>3792195
No, the same thing always happens in the PS1 version too.
>>
>>3792178
Get a load of this contrarian.
>>
>>3792170
I'll agree with that, his records are definitely more refined than the ost.
>>
File: 1344900475550.jpg (18KB, 317x313px) Image search: [Google]
1344900475550.jpg
18KB, 317x313px
>>3792241
>Jumping Trash
>standards at all
>>
File: 1443634638125.png (220KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1443634638125.png
220KB, 480x360px
>>3792308
>>
>>3792260
Glad this thread popped up, wouldn't have heard them otherwise.
>>
>>3791595
>I have no idea what I'm talking about
Take a hike, champ.
>>
Good game desu.

Played a little of it years ago and I remember it being legit fun.

Good alternative to spyro/crash and other action platforming games of the PS1.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.