[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best Double Dragon game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: 1467310750014.jpg (1MB, 1280x1645px) Image search: [Google]
1467310750014.jpg
1MB, 1280x1645px
What's the best Double Dragon game?
>>
That one.

/thread
>>
The one on GBA.
>>
The Neo Geo fighter.
>>
Double Dragon arcade version
>>
Double Dragon 2 on Pc engine cd is great
>>
File: dd1 cover gallery.jpg (3MB, 3532x2080px) Image search: [Google]
dd1 cover gallery.jpg
3MB, 3532x2080px
>God-tier
Double Dragon (arcade)
Double Dragon II (NES)
Double Dragon Advance

>Great tier
Double Dragon (NES)
Double Dragon II (Arcade)
Double Dragon II (PC Engine)
Return of Double Dragon (JP version of Super Double Dragon)
Battletoads & Double Dragon

>Good tier
Double Dragon (Master System)
Double Dragon (Game Boy)
Super Double Dragon
Double Dragon Neon
Double Dragon IV

>Meh tier
Double Dragon (Genesis)
Double Dragon II (Game Boy)
Double Dragon III (NES)
Double Dragon (Neo-Geo)

>Crap tier
Double Dragon (Lynx)
Double Dragon II (Mega Drive)
Double Dragon 3 (arcade and its ports)
Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls (all versions)
>>
>>3789607
Yeah I heard that Super Double Dragon was a butchered version of its japanese counterpart, but what's the actual difference ?
>>
>>3789625
Super Double Dragon was actually an early build of the game. Return of Double Dragon gives you more abilities like catching your boomerangs on their return path, multi-hit hurricane kicks and the ability to switch weapons on the floor.
>>
>>3789607
>not including the zeebo game
>>
>>3789607
Guy knows what he's talking about

I'd still put the Japanese version of RODD only on "Good Tier". Still super slow, still super flat. Barely feels like a Double Dragon entry.
>>
>>3791178
wow that looks great.
>>
File: 37694399.jpg (276KB, 969x1097px) Image search: [Google]
37694399.jpg
276KB, 969x1097px
>>3791178
Never played it. Is Zeebo even emulated yet?
>>
The first one on NES

Best music
Best control
Best enemies

It is a classic. DD2 is overrated.
>>
>>3791718
I love Double Dragon 1 arcade, but Double Dragon 1 NES haunts my heart and I'm not sure which I prefer. DD1 also has my favorite progression system in a beat em up - RCR annoys me with its grinding bullshit and I hate that most beat em ups clone its system even though grinding is BORING AS FUCK in a beat em up. Throwing niggers off the sides of walkways or into pits is where it's at.

Double Dragon 2 definitely has its place especially with tracks like this but that back kick drives me insane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMW3MS2Xg4Y
>>
File: 484256_10.jpg (353KB, 786x589px) Image search: [Google]
484256_10.jpg
353KB, 786x589px
>>3792163
I think DD1NES holds up a bit better than DD1AC. Less broken combat system and not having to worry about slowdown because the hardware is pushing too many enemies makes for a more digestible experience. DD1NES even has a better Mission 2 boss (Jackie Chan wannabe > Lee brother head-swap), even though the Mr. T version of Abobo in the arcade version does have his charm. Hell, the sibling rivalry plot is kinda cool, even if it doesn't make much sense with the sequels.
>>
>>3788981
You posted it.
>>
>>3789607
>DD2 on PCE lower than NES
What the fuck? It's better in every way.
>>
>>3789607
Move "Double Dragon (Master System)" and "Battletoads & Double Dragon" both down one tier each.

Also, how in the fuck are "Double Dragon (NES)" and "Double Dragon (Game Boy)" in separate tiers? They're (almost) the same game! If anything the GB version might (arguably) be (very) slightly better.

And 3 and 5 might arguably deserve their own category they're so bad.

Have not played PCE DD2 though, so I can't comment on that.
>>
File: LwvBx.jpg (181KB, 551x779px) Image search: [Google]
LwvBx.jpg
181KB, 551x779px
>>3793023
>Also, how in the fuck are "Double Dragon (NES)" and "Double Dragon (Game Boy)" in separate tiers? They're (almost) the same game! If anything the GB version might (arguably) be (very) slightly better.
Hardly. DD1GB is indeed based on DD1NES, but they have too many differences to be a straight port.

>Moves are all available from the start, no leveling required. Jump kicks are a bit more floaty on GB.
>Level designs are completely different. I.E. Mission 2 on NES is pretty straightforward romp, whereas the same stage on the GB has many platform jumping segments. There are traps that were from DD2NES like air-sucking trap doors and disappearing floors.
>Some of the enemies have new abilities like Linda's baseball bat, Abobo's grab attack and Chin's rolling kick. Some of the weapons also work a bit differently like the grenades and the throwing sword.
>Checkpoints are much stricter on the GB, only taking you to the beginning of your current area.
>No Billy vs. Jimmy fight at the end. You're reunited with Marian after beating Machinegun Willy.
>>
File: dd2pce_billy_visual_running.gif (8KB, 111x93px) Image search: [Google]
dd2pce_billy_visual_running.gif
8KB, 111x93px
>>3792895
DD2PCE is a pretty good conversation, but the balance is a bit all over the place. Some of the enemies (like the Arnie lookalikes and stick fighters) are overpowered and the jumping is not as precised as on the NES. Also felt a bit more repetitive, despite having the same amount of levels, due to the game throwing in more battle scenes, but never bothering to mix in more enemy types outside the same army of Williams and Rowper clones. Nice cutscenes though.
>>
>>3788981
Sick cover art, btw.
>>
>>3788981
>>3793386
>>3794254
I wish they had used the same artist for every Double Dragon game.
>>
>Billy was the red guy all along.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.