[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's so good about FF Tactics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

File: Final_Fantasy_Tactics_logo.png (167KB, 709x255px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_Tactics_logo.png
167KB, 709x255px
What's so good about FF Tactics?
>>
>>3788797
Great AI, great battle system, awesome soundtrack, a good storyline, and the beloved FF job system. It's just a great game overall.

Difficulty though, it's very easy to break and multiple abilities are just flat-out broken with how strong they are. Blade Grasp and Hamedo being two massive offenders, and Calculator can be rigged to win the majority of fights on move 1.
>>
The game is hard as balls your first playthrough but easy as fuck once you learn how to break it. Weird difficulty curve.
>>
File: IMG_20170209_011155.jpg (69KB, 415x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170209_011155.jpg
69KB, 415x768px
Only played the gba version, is the ps1 game better?
>>
>>3788816
The Law system isn't in the first. That should say a lot.
>>
>>3788816
PS1 is far better, but the PSP remake is the recommended version.
>>
The job system is incredibly versatile and well balanced, which allows for an amazing amount of variety in the form of party building. The combat system is easy to pick up deep enough that random encounters never feel tedious. The enemy levels scale with yours, and it punishes over-grinding.

It also has fantastic art direction, with an indescribably huge amount of lore accessible in game, all tied up with one of the best soundtracks in the FF series, and you end up with a suuuuuper comfy game full of ambiance.
>>
>>3788816
They are VERY different.
>>
>>3788819
Disregard this. PSP remake is shit.
>>
FFT wasn't for me at all. It's sat untouched in my basement for the past 17 years. I think if another BST ever pops up again, I'll offer it up to a /vr/other who actually wants it.
>>
>>3788831
Right on the money.
>all tied up with one of the best soundtracks in the FF series
I'd say the best one by far.

>>3788816
I never got along with the GBA FFT's, they feel like extremly different, worse games than the PS1 original. Art direction takes a huge step back, so does customization. World building and lore is shit but I'm biased because I hate the new races with a passion. Law system starts of interesting and then gets tedious but it's not the thing that inherently makes FFTA a bad game. The battles are also tediously slow.
>>
>>3788882
>Far better translation that removes the censorship and carries the tone better
>Difficulty isn't gimped and matches the JP release now
>New events, side-quests, and story battles
>Better game balance and most of the major bugs are fixed
>New features like additional job classes, items, guest characters, a larger roster, and a better tutorial
>Really pretty cutscenes which continue the Ivalice tradition of having legit as hell voice acting
>Easy as piss to patch out the slowdown and restore the missing special move quotes

It's literally better in every way.
>>
>>3788889
Don't even bother. PSX babies will defend their shitty censored translation to the death.
>>
>>3788889
>slowdown
>usless extras that break the game even further
>slowdown
>butchered aspect ratio
>ye olde english
>muh translation
>game wasn't that buggy to begin with

It's literally shit in every way.
>>
>>3788894
What was censored about it exactly?
>>
>>3788908
References to alcohol/smoking/drugs, a few sexual references, etc. Standard 90s JRPG stuff.
One of the bigger changes was that there was semi-heavy editing of the script concerning Rafa and her situation since she was explicitly being raped and abused, and WotL fixed that.
>>3788903
>slowdown
I adresses that
>usless extras that break the game even further
Nope, the game is far more balanced with the increased difficulty, jp costs, bug fixes, and minor balance changes.
>butchered aspect ratio
You can run it in the original via ppsspp to mostly fix the issue and it still looks fine anyway
>ye olde english
Which is grammatically correct and fits the setting and story
>muh translation
This doesn't change the fact the PSX version was censored and frequently had grammar and spelling errors like most 90s JRPG translations
>game wasn't that buggy to begin with
You have no clue what you're talking about
>>
>>3788912
It was pretty obvious in the original as well. She all but said "He raped me" and he all but said "I fucked you raw while you cried like a bitch"
>>
>>3788797
playing around with the job system is fun
>>
>>3788797
It's very accessible and has FF elements for fans of the series, it's pretty much a watered down TO with FF flavour, decent introduction to the genre.
>>
>>3788912

>Which is grammatically correct and fits the setting and story

Not the person you're responding to, but imo...

The ye olde english in WotL is fucking cringeworthy; it's almost as bad as the painfully fake accents in the voiced scenes.

The whole thing feels like it was written by and for teenagers who read one Shakespeare play in school and think that imitating his style is as simple as shoving as many archaisms into the dialogue as possible, without any regard to the characters' status or gender.

If someone told me that the script was written and voiced by volunteers from fanfiction.net, I'd believe them.
>>
>>3789107
You may feel that way but the script is actually written in a shockingly accurate manner by vidya standards. The sentence structure is spot 90% of the time, it's thee/thine/thous are all used in the proper fashion, and it mostly avoids anachronistic terms and words besides those related to the setting.

I can totally understand not liking it as a matter of taste but whoever did the script legitimately knew their shit when it came to 18th & early 19th century English.
>>
>>3789110
(yes by the way, I did waste my degree in part on an English Lit. major)
>>
>>3788819
Has someone added the random quotes when using skills back in the PSP version yet?
>>
>>3788816
>>3788819
I don't particulary think that the PS1 one is superior, I mean, it's more memorable but FFTA is a pretty fun game too, the progression is more non-linear since the side-quests are one of the main focus.

I also prefer the "FF9 skill learned from weapon" system that FFTA has, it makes weapons more valuable and unique imo.
>>
>>3789110

I was stupid enough to study lit as well, and my issue isn't with grammatical correctness or anachronisms. The problem is that the *extremely* artificial, flowery and literary style is used by virtually all the characters, regardless of who they are or what situation they're in. I'd be able to put up with it if the narration were very flowery and the dialogue was archaic but naturalistic, but the WotL translation just seems to put as much archaic language into the script as possible, just for the sake of it.

And yes, I'm aware that some poets around the turn of the 19th century tended to write in a similar style (which was archaic even back then), and I consider that to be cringeworthy too.

I suppose the WotL translation doesn't seem as bad if you treat it as an imitation of the way writers from 1800 imitated literature from 1600, rather than as a direct imitation of literature from 1600, but I can't for the life of me think of why someone would want an artificial imitation of a style which was already an artificial imitation of another style.
>>
>>3789107
>almost as bad
seems like the poison to pick
>>
>>3789110
>You may feel that way but the script is actually written in a shockingly accurate manner by vidya standards.
As if I care when it's a complete rewrite of the original material, enjoy your thees and succor all you want but it's a terrible translation, like all O'Smith's works.
>>
this game is not super accessible and easy to drop/not put effort into. in my experience its hard to get into and the first few missions will be difficult unless you spend time beforehand grinding out a few levels however once you do that you should hit a nice groove where you can really get into it. theres a pretty good amount of extra content besides the main story and playing through the entire game is pretty satisfying. imo there's also alot of cool aspects of the storyline as well
>>
>>3789012
>watered down TO
but it's better than TO, TO's class system is really unimpressive compared to FFT's
>>
>>3788797
I dunno. Tactics Ogre LUCT is one of my favorite games of all time but FFT bores me to tears and I've never gotten past like the 2nd or 3rd story battle
>>
>if we get another FFT game it will be on the same note as the handheld games

Im not saying I want a gritty reboot, but the original was almost dark fantasy
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>3788903
I don't necessarily like the "Ye olde english"
But it's objectively better than Engrish

Too bad they took out the random spell quotes.
Image is fake; but funny.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170209-154324.png (202KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170209-154324.png
202KB, 768x1280px
>>3788816
Never played the GBA one, is this review accurate?
>>
>>3789851
On opposite day.
>>
>>3789141
Keep in mind that FFT is a romanticized version of the actual events that transpired as it is being narrated long after it happened.
>>
>>3789410
>complete rewrite of the original material
Your argument loses all merit when you base it on hyperbole as ridiculous as this.
>>
>>3789410
Also, O'Smith didn't even work on WotL you misinformed shitter. It was Reeder and Slattery.
>>
>>3789851
it is a good game but PSX/PSP FFT is much better.
>>
>>3789851
I remember this commercial for FFTA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L65VrvcVNM
>>
>>3788816
> gba version,
There is no GBA verion, Tictacs Advance is an all new, and very different, game. The actual FFT is a much, much superior game.
>>
>>3788797
You can rotate the camera which let them make cooler maps.
I remember in Advance every map looked the same because they couldn't put stuff you could really go behind.
>>
>>3788797
>he doesn't play 1.3
>>
>>3790067
Woah, this really has a 90's vibe even though the game came out in 2003.
>>
Ye olde engrish ins't really my cup of tea but DAMN the PSX translation is just fucking terrible.

I just played it a few weeks ago. Should have capped some screens.
>>
I want to replay the game

1.3 or monster tactics?
>>
i would literally suck matsuno's cock if given the chance.
>>
>>3789889
slattery is the main perpetrator of the not so good war of the lions translation. alexander o. smith knows how to show restraint.
>>
Can we talk about WotL multi?

- grinding Guarded Temple for Grand Armors
- fighting King Delita & Balmafula at the end of Brave Story

Shit is fun yo
>>
Does the psx version have a retranslation patch? I really enjoy the psp translation and would like it on the original.
>>
>>3788797
I actually quit at the time where you're supposed to fight the Corpse Brigade watchmen. I hate knights.
>>
>>3792550
>I hate knights.
seljuqs get out of jerusalem REEEEEE
>>
>>3791295
>1.3
Do you like Pain or what
>>
>>3788797
Started playing this game for the first time, any tips to git gud?
>>
>>3793148
build Ramza a monk

have multiple saves as there are places where you can get stuck and be unable to go back and level
>>
Are Bard and Dancer useful jobs? I'm at chapter 2 and I've been making male characters physical users and female characters magic users.
>>
>>3793156
Thanks for the tip anon, much appreciated
>>
>>3793162
that's sexist, instead you should be making your characters with high bravery into physical fighters and high faith into magic users
>>
>>3793148
yell is overpowered
a single calculator can beat the game
ninjas are overpowered
chemists are better healers than priests
MP Switch + Move MP Up is overpowered, even more so with Yell
status effects actually work
>>
On my first playthrough of FFT I was too stupid to see Gafgaron was going to betray you right after he joined your party in chapter 2.

I enjoyed the bad translation of the playstation version over the psp one though.
>>
>>3793167
sound advice desu
>>
>>3793167

Sexism is good.
>>
File: 26782556_p0.gif (470KB, 789x1500px) Image search: [Google]
26782556_p0.gif
470KB, 789x1500px
sqex need to get off their butt and make another one.
matsuno himself said he wants to make another one based around the 50 years war.
>>
>>3793364
let it go m8. that window is closed. he's stuck with failed kickstarter garbage and smartphone games now.
>>
>Raise can miss

WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING WHITE MAGES THEN?

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? WHO THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA?
>>
>>3788886
gib
>>
>>3788816
I really like FFTA. It's just as imbalanced as the original, but the focus on side-quests gives the combat system much more room to breathe. The plot and characters aren't worth much, but it's not the point of the game.
>>
l i t t l e m o n e y
>>
>>3796014
>The plot and characters aren't worth much, but it's not the point of the game.
they're pretty good for a GBA game, come on. marche being an anti-escapist motherfucker getting shit done was a delight.
>>
>>3795994
Resurrection being 100% guaranteed was a very new concept at the time.
>>
>>3795994
Oh boy, if you think that's bad don't ever use Kadorto in Wizardry.
>>
File: 1466448434602.png (90KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1466448434602.png
90KB, 200x200px
>>3796082
Phoenix Downs were 100%.

>tfw Science beats religion
>>
>>3793205
Yell is absolutely a game breaker -- just keep using it for a half dozen turns and then Ramza is basically super sayan.
>>
>>3788797

Complicated character motivations, great music, pretty deep battle system for a SRPG, mixing and matching job abilities is fun as fuck, fantastic worldbuilding, great character design.
>>
>>3796075
>>3796014

The story and characters of that game are unintentionally fascinating because of how fucking savage Marche comes across.

I don't think that was what they were going for but the way it ended up has led to 500+ post discussions of whether he was justified or not for over a decade now, and if that's not a great sign of a complicated character I don't know what is.
>>
>>3793364

I would kill a man for this

I would kill as many men as it took or until I died by one of their hands, just to leave a legacy of a world where there was another Matsuno-directed Ivalice game.

Wait, is he involved with the FFXIV Ivalice expansion?
>>
>>3796429
I've heard by word of mouth he's writing the story for that expansion, but I don't play or follow FF14 news myself.
>>
>>3796727
SUBSCRIBED
>>
>tfw just reached Belias fight and got my ass blasted

Well, time for some intensive grinding.
>>
>>3788804
>Calculator can be rigged to win the majority of fights on move 1.
My end game was always holly absorb on my guys and then calculators spamming holly on every possible unit on the board.
>>
>>3793364
Square can't make shit now. The only good game they've made since the early 2000s was the first Bravely Default and I'm pretty sure that was a fluke.
>>
>>3797296
>holly
God damn me: Holy.
>>
>>3796429
>FFXIV Ivalice expansion?
What?
Huh?
Really?
I almost want to give a fuck about that! But it's still gonna be FF14 in the end, isn't it? Yeah nah, fuck that off.
>>
>>3798040

Yeah, it's Ivalice proper apparently, world hopping and all.

I resubbed like a fool, but I talked a lot of shit about doing absolutely anything for more Ivalice so now I gotta put my money where my mouth is.
>>
>>3797303

I disagree with this. Echoes of Time was damn good.
>>
>>3788816
GBA version is better due to races, certain classes restricted to races, many more classes, and great combinations.
>>
>>3796429
I haven't bought any of the new systems, but I will when FF12 HD comes out.
>>
>>3796082
It wasn't a very good mechanic though. Chemists were considerably better for healing for 99% of the game while being a lower class just because of the delay and faith issue.
>>
>>3798312

Yeah but WHMs can hit up to five people and have buffs
>>
File: PSOGL012.png (151KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL012.png
151KB, 640x480px
yeah but what do you think about vagrant story
>>
>new characters joins your party
>they are level 1 in all jobs

It's worth to use Beowulf, Rapha, Marach or Meliadoul instead of my generic units?
>>
>>3799013
rafa and malak are worse than generics
meliadul will soon be outclassed
beowulf is cool
>>
>>3799089
Yeah, I didn't liked Rafa and Malak.

Beowulf seems like a good magic user.

I didn't unlocked Meliadul and Orlandu yet but I heard Orlandu is broken.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.