[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best shmups of all time thread. One game per post, make it count

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 17

Best shmups of all time thread.

One game per post, make it count
>>
File: tmp_24980-images(7)-1014462623.jpg (23KB, 243x179px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_24980-images(7)-1014462623.jpg
23KB, 243x179px
Twinklestar Sprites
>>
File: ImageDisplay_002.jpg (62KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
ImageDisplay_002.jpg
62KB, 400x389px
>>
File: gaiares l.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gaiares l.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>So many shmups threads here
>I will never find someone else good at Gaiares on /vr/

True sadness.
>>
>>3787583
Its a Genesis game, right? I'll try it out just for you buddy. It's been on my to-play list, it just always seems so...gay compared to the other shmups I'm looking to play
>>
T Y R I A N
Y
R
I
A
N
>>
File: gaiaresscreen01333.jpg (265KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
gaiaresscreen01333.jpg
265KB, 960x720px
>>3787592
You don't have to on my account, I don't actually care it's just kind of funny. The last guy who said anything about it talked about how terrible and impossible the third level is, but by his description he couldn't have got much more than 30 seconds into it.

It's kind of weird, I love it but I'm not normally much of a shmups guy so it may be that it does things that don't appeal to fans of the genre. Who knows.
>>
>>3787616
It's an ok horizontal shooter, not bad but not on Gradius/R-Type level
>>
File: giares 2l.jpg (100KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
giares 2l.jpg
100KB, 640x480px
>>3787738
I find it a lot more fun than either Gradius or R-type. The upgrade system and bosses are wonderful.
>>
>>3787593
this
>>
>>3787593
I fucking love Tyrian.
>>
>>
File: pce_game_soldier.gif (123KB, 450x389px) Image search: [Google]
pce_game_soldier.gif
123KB, 450x389px
>>
>>3789458
I've never played a turbografx 16 before. Will flashcarts play the cd addon games? The system itself is already fairly expensive and I don't buy overpriced retro games out of principal. If the flashcart games don't work can the cd attachment play burned games?
>>
File: tatsujin.jpg (274KB, 850x1197px) Image search: [Google]
tatsujin.jpg
274KB, 850x1197px
>>
File: Gradius-II-front.jpg (3MB, 1415x1413px) Image search: [Google]
Gradius-II-front.jpg
3MB, 1415x1413px
>>3789463
>Will flashcarts play the cd addon games?

No

> If the flashcart games don't work can the cd attachment play burned games

Yes,there is no copy protection
>>
>>
>>
>>3787549
Anyone know the story of this game? All l've heard are fragments about fake aliens, death to Martian independence and space elevators.
>>
>>3789539
The first 2 or 3 levels are VR training simulations. In the latter levels you are fighting aliens who are attacking Mars, which is your home. It obviously takes place in the future on a terraformed Mars.

There's a space elevator tied to a Martian moon that serves as the backdrop to the 5th level. Depending on how many times you've beaten it and which path you spent the majority of time on, you'll get a different variant of the 6th (final) stage.

In the normal ending, you beat the ayylmaos but the space elevator gets destroyed anyway and crashes into Mars, rendering the planet once again unihabitable so the mission is a failure. I think you have to beat it 4 or 5 times to see the other final levels but I've only beaten it like 3 times probably.

Some anon on here told me all the endings are bad and they're all semi-canon. Guess I'll have to keep playing to find out what that means.
>>
File: gdarius1.jpg (150KB, 957x670px) Image search: [Google]
gdarius1.jpg
150KB, 957x670px
>>
File: darius gaiden.jpg (46KB, 350x309px) Image search: [Google]
darius gaiden.jpg
46KB, 350x309px
>>3787583
I always thought that game was originally competently medieval, but then publisher meddling told them to slap space ships on it because those are hot with the kids.
>>
File: Sturmwind DVD Cover(Vorschau).jpg (158KB, 800x528px) Image search: [Google]
Sturmwind DVD Cover(Vorschau).jpg
158KB, 800x528px
>>3787549
One of the better ones ive played.
Really fun game and amazing soundtrack.
>>
>>3789568
I heard something about pilot being fed a bunch of BS after the 3rd stage. That the aliens never exsisted and that the pilot was actually fighting humans that were a part of a free Mars movement. The Earth forces modified the data to make the pilot (you) think you were fighting aliens from stage 4 on ward. The "alien" at the top of the elevator was the counter balance, once destroyed the space elevator collapses. The final stage is the actual Earth forces coming to kill their pawn (you) so that the truth never gets out about you being the destroyer of Martian independence.
>>
>>3793129

That sounds a lot like the plot twist to DoDonPachi, unless I'm hilariously mis-remembering what that one's story was.

On a semi-related note, Metal Black will always have the best twist ending IMO, despite being completely ambiguous as to what the hell's even going on in that ending.
>>
>>3794214
Best I could find was some stuff on tv tropes that glances over some of the story elements. There was a guy that posted on some BD videos about the story, but all his postings are gone.
>>
>>3795146
Youtube Border Down vids*
>>
>>3794214
Is metal black worth playing through? I have it on mame and saturn but never really liked it all that much, although I probably never got past the 2nd level or so.

I love border down and I hear that it was mostly the same team that worked on both games
>>
>>3789837
Bought this on a whim a long, long time ago. Still play it. All the ships to capture and use, the complex animated background, so much enjoyment.
>>
>>3793129
Sounds cool. If anybody has any concrete details about the story, it would be great to know.
>>
>>3795760
The PS1 version or the PS2 (Taito Legends 2) version? Either way, it's a great fucking game.
>>
>>3791935
Nah it's pretty solidly spacey it's just got that fantasy twist to it.
>>
File: darius1boss.jpg (29KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
darius1boss.jpg
29KB, 256x224px
>>
>want to get into retro shmups
>Only own Life Force, The Guardian Legend, Sanvein, and Radiant Silvergun HAD
Aside from like 2 or 3 other ones I own for my PS2 and Wii my collection is weak as fuck.
>>
>>3787549
Galaga still da bess and you know it
>>
>>3787583
i tried pretty hard to 1cc about 1.5 year ago. love the game, amazing soundtrack. would like to give it a try again in the future
>>
>>3787593

is OpenTyrian (the android port) worth mentioning on /vr/ ? I like it a lot, but I played it (for the 2nd time) in DOSBox at work a few years ago.

(I bought it in the late 90s).

I like it a lot but I actually think I like Raptor: Call of the Shadows or Stargunner about just as much.
Anyway, I came here to post Ikaruga.

It's on the Dreamcast, so fuck you, it can be posted.

If it's too new, let's go with Raidiant Silvergun or Tempest 2000 if it counts.
>>
>>3789492
Dis shit right here. I was so excited when they VCd this on 3ds. Portable Recca. Mmmmmmm.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.