[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modding as a Children

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

Allow me to explain how my Jaguar Disc to Cartridge Converter work. At a young age my father taught me the ins 'n outs of a sauldering iron and circuit boards. I got into electronics at a rather young age being the inquisitive game that I was. We owned every console of the time along with a hearty collection of games. So...

It occurred to me that it would be a lot easier if I could make one console work with all the others. The wires back then! Switches! Plugs! Gadzooks! So much work to go from console to console.

I was 8 at the time I read magazine on computers had an article about the power of each console on the market. It stunned me how powerful it listed the Atari Jaguar as being, even saying it could rival the dreamers at some clips. The hardware was insane. So the idea hit me-- this is the ultimate dream machine! Suddenly a console with a small library of good titles would become a central hub for any game made between 1991 and 1998!

The Jag Conversion tool was crafted by me alone. My father helped with the plastics assemblage but the circulating and spinners in it are all me. What it does is has a slot that has varying grooves for cartridges that can take SNES, Genesis, heck you name it if it took cartridges it could be inserted into this slot! The real clincher was the CD slot. The laser used to read the disc was taken from a PS1 and reconstituted for my conversion purposes. It also converted the digital output to be compatible with the Jag. The device actually tricks the jaguar into thinking the CD is a cartridge. It works by relaying the sign of a cartridge/disc with hardware taken from its original console so that the Jaguar is capable of emulating it. It isn't emulation for sure, because in the process what happens goes beyond emulation, it becomes a new game, one that could only be played on the power of the Jaugar as opposed to weaker sister consoles at the time.

This sucker took me 5 months to construct. Any of you do something similar as kids?
>>
>>3782140

In the image Exhibit A is the Atari Jaguar.
Exhibit B is my conversion device.
>>
>>3782140

I wish I had known a kid like you growing up. That's so freaking cool.
>>
>>3782140
No not me. I didn't know the first thing about computers as a kid. Just a dumb kid who lived to wipe the snot out of cyberdemons in DOOM and Diablo loot. I wish I knew though. That thing you made looks cool.
>>
>>3782160
>>3782170
>This is how neo /vr/ responds to before-posting
>>
>>3782140
This is amazing work
>>
File: newFrontier[1].jpg (113KB, 573x950px) Image search: [Google]
newFrontier[1].jpg
113KB, 573x950px
My dad was on the old side when he had me, like I was on the old side when I had my son. When I first started really going to the arcade I guess in the late 80s he told me a story about a time he went to the arcade probably in the early 60s in Kentucky. Apparently back then they had electro mechanical shooting galleries that used real guns. You would put in your nickel and turn a crank like a gumball machine and get a little handful of low grain shells with like clay or something slugs in them. He played the game and ran out of money so he was fishing around in his pockets and came across a few .22 long rifle rounds so he decided to see if it would chamber and it did. I guess he blew the little target right off its arm and through the back of the machine. It was so loud even in the arcade that people started to get excited about it and he ran away.

That's my contribution to the thread. Don't think I've told that one online before.
>>
When I was a kid, I thought cleaning the dust out of the screw holes on the back of a controller would fix it.
>>
>>3782252
Pretty cool.

>>3782140
Edgar this is good you were able to achieve this st such a young age. You're pretty smart.
>>
>>3782853
My son's and Edgar's dads are electronics but my dad was wood
>>
>3 posters
edgar my man, glad to see you back.
did you ever find that laserdisc ps1
>>
>>3782140
I feel like this is probably bullshit.
>>
>>3783296
It's clearly 100% srs bsns
>>
>>3783296

Edgar enjoys funposting. Not too long ago he posted a story about milking money out of a rich guy by making him an overpriced console-cab or something.
>>
>>3783351
does. does that make me the asshole? cause I didn't get what edgar was doing?
>>
>>3783521
Well, back in the day I think he was baiting for responses like yours just angrier but now in 2017 he actually gets replies like those first two.
>>
>>3783521

funposting = shitposting. I don't know if he's serious or not, but sometimes his memorable posts seem things that would invite a certain 'type' of response (like the previously mentioned "LD capable PlayStation" which prompted someone to take an amusing photograph of what he was describing).
>>
>>3782160
Agreed. My gaming friends were lazy and knew nothing of toolwork.
>>
>>3782140
>read first few lines of post
>click reply
>you sound like edgar
>notice name
>is edgar
>spit beer on screen

>>3782160
You did. That kid who's dad worked at Nintendo.
>>
>>3782140
The Atari Jaguar was indeed underrated. The fact that you were able to achieve this with it is proof of its power.
>>
Edgar as a person semi new to /vr/ I'd like to know if this is real or not. It sounds fake but I am not certain.
>>
>>3782140
what the fuck am I reading? Post pics pls.
>>
No way. Cool!
>>
>>3782140
I'm impressed Edgar.
>>
>>3784119

Not fake. Did projects like this often as a tyke. Had help from my father with blueprints but the handiwork was all me. The reason I never got a patent on the project was, well duh!, this device is a gamer's Tesla Coil. I'm sorry but that's not the sort of heat I needed at that age. Eventually broke down. Overheated as a result of the power the Jaguar was pulling from it to make it function on later gen PSX (it managed a few Dreamcast titles too) titles. Still had a good run while it was functional.
>>
>>3785128
Are you that same guy who modded his n64 to play snes games?
>>
>>3785173
Technically possible.

Look up the Tristar.
>>
>>3785173

The very same. I have a knack for these things.
>>
Nope never modded before. Impressed by OP.
>>
>>3785173
He's the guy who welded a playstation to an SNES or some other god tier bullshit like that.
>>
>>3782140
>Any of you do something similar as kids?
I made up some bullshit stories but nothing to match yours.
>>
File: TheClassic.jpg (487KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
TheClassic.jpg
487KB, 2048x1536px
>>
>>3785695

Like it or not my story really happened. If you don't like that fine. Take a hike. I don't need you in my life if you have nothing but perverse skepticism to spread like the no talent rapscallion you are. It is of no consequence to me what you think anyway considering I sit on a one of the largest collections of nodded retro gaming accessories bar none. A BARRAGE OF games that you'd kill your mom to sniff the seals of (Famicon titles personally translated by me) (Translations I haven't bothered to upload online without hearing an offer). My personal workshop would make you cry. Reflect on what a nothing you've been your whole life and remind you of your impotence. Calling me a liar is the best you've got. The best I've got you'll never have. I would rather be me than you. Take a hike!
>>
>>3785898
Tell 'em Edgar!
>>
>>3785898
I would kill that guy's mom to sniff the seals on your self-translated Famicom titles.
>>
>>3782140

Never knew it was capable of that. Pretty cool.
>>
>>3785898

Edgar = Drakon?
>>
>>3785898
Not even sure if you're the real edgar but >9k/troll if you're not. Either way, thanks for the very entertaining psychotic rants.
>>
Cool!
>>
/vr/ has funnier threads than this.
Edgar is obviously a millennial trying to be overly funny mixed with some Wikipedia level knowledge.
I hope he is proud of the time he wasted on this shit, he's basically the Mike Kennedy of /vr/.
That being said, 10/10 would read and 'kek' again.
>>
>>3787027
There's different kinds of humor that's for sure but I really think Edgar's posts are stream-of-consciousness. He says things that are directly self-contradictory but he doesn't give a fuck and he shrouds it in enough technobabble that we need to have at least a B-tier /vr/ knowledge to see. The board is at a point where this kind of separating the men from the boys is really valuable. Perhaps Edgar is the hero /vr/ deserves. I would need to eat a LOT of morning glory seeds to write like that and I really can't afford to waste a whole day on hallucinating very often anymore.
>>
>>3785898
Sad!
>>
>>3782140
I envy that.
>>
>>3786292
No. Drakon actually does shit. It may be shit but it actually happens. Edgar just makes up ridiculous stories. I don't think anyone knows why. Including Edgar.
>>
>>3788224
Same here!
>>
I modded a Sonic cartridge to play as Knuckles once.
>>
Edgar that's really great.
>>
>>3782140
I modded my girlfriends tittys to lactate beer once. But it included a lot of soldering and big corporations were on my ass about legal patent infringement. You know how it goes, edgar
>>
>>3790550
Should have made it Bud Light. Anheuser Busch's legal department are pit bulls.
>>
I wish I knew how to do stuff like this back then.
>>
>>3790584
If only i liked that beer
>>
>>3782140
the drawing looks like something you drew on a mobile phone, next time fix the transparency setting on the brushes, edgar.
also do you think you can mod a ps1 to read DVD's instead of CD's so instead of putting one game in a single cd you can put multiple games on one dvd? id love to hear how you come up with a solution to that. i hope your dad isnt electronics anymore :( get well soon
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.