[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else here prefers this to then SNES for one reason or another?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1162.jpg (2MB, 4020x2300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1162.jpg
2MB, 4020x2300px
Who else here prefers this to then SNES for one reason or another?
>>
always did prefer it
no reason necessary
>>
muh soinc
>>
I just enjoy the games that are on the Genesis more than the SNES.
>>
>>3781724
>>3781736
t. SNES kids who never got over the fact that Sega briefly made Nintendo uncool for a while.
>>
>>3781749
Oh neat, Bill Clinton and the Skipper have sports games on the Genesis
>>
>>3781749
>implying video games made you socially cool before the Playstation
>>
File: 1980sAracde600.jpg (50KB, 600x221px) Image search: [Google]
1980sAracde600.jpg
50KB, 600x221px
>>3781786
I will never experience this.
>>
>>3780248
>Better pad (6-button one)
>Better sound (chiptunes)
>Not as bad slowdowns
>Lived longer

The MD is objectively superior to the SNES.
>>
>>3781801
As far as sound goes, this is like comparing a piano to a saxophone. Both are capable, versatile instruments and produce amazing sounds under the control of a master; some might argue that each sound is better suited to certain styles, and some might prefer one over the other, but to argue that one is "better" than the other doesn't hold much water.
>>
>>3781824
It's true, the SNES excelled with symphonic sound.
>>
I like Genesis because of the higher resolution and more objects on screen
>>
>>3781824
>More like comparing short, low-bitrate, muffled samples of symphonic instruments to clear electronic synth
ftfy
>>
>>3780248
The games, the music, and even the hardware had an edgier vibe.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_fG2SFSFvE

Genesis did music so awesome.
>>
>>3781875
True. Good games but sounds like farts.
>>
>>3780248
i enjoy m68k games, so MD and NG it is
>>
>>3781987
I like the Genesis and SNES about the same.

Thank you Autismo!
>>
>>3781875
streets of rage and golden axe sound like farts a lot, thats why i never could get into these games, most other games are fine on the MD
>>
>>3782418
>this
>sounds like farts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzIilPGg4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlb8UYuSIp8
>>
>>3782418
>sounds like farts

Say what you will about Sonic 3D Blast, but it had god-tier music throughout. I would listen to that music for years afterward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfG09iLCKsM
>>
I like the Genesis because I'm poor and I started collecting 10 years too late.
>>
>>3783796
>>3783796
>>3783796
>>3783796
>>
>>3780248
I think the Genesis is the better console, but the SNES has more good games.
>>
>>3780248
Literaly a poorman's snes. No wonder this is still a thing in Hue Land.
>>
>>3781801
>Better pad
The Super Famicom's controller was ergonomically better with four face buttons and the fifth and sixth buttons being shoulder buttons.

Even competitors learned more from the Super Famicom controller than the other ones. Hell, even Sega copied the shoulder buttons from the Super Famicom at the time of the Saturn and used the four face button layout for the Dreamcast.

>Better sound
This is objective, but the Super Famicom's soundchip was of really high technology even for 2000 standards (theoretically if consoles didn't go for CD at the time except for the N64) thanks to Sony's help, I think the sound on the N64 would also be really great if Sony and Nintendo's relationship never soured with the Super Famicom CD.

The more metal and techno sounds of the Mega Drive is kinda cool but the Super Famicom's soundchip gives off more of a symphonic feel to them or a pop music feel to them but different scores work with different games.

>Not as bad slowdowns
Blast processing was just a meme to push that the Mega Drive was more powerful than the Super Famicom when the Super Famicom was more advanced in every way except for the CPU clockspeed which was faster in the Mega Drive.

>Lived longer
But the Super Famicom lived up to 2003 over in Japan, thirteen years over it's original release.

And the last game to ever come out of there was in 2000, ten years after it originally launched.

And that's without any of those life support addons that the Mega Drive even needed to survive against the PSOne and N64 era.

In comparison, the Mega Drive only lived up to ten years (1988 - 1998). And that's counting life support addons, to boot.

And no, Brazilian bootlegs and remodels don't count.
>>
>>3784393
>Even competitors learned more from the Super Famicom controller than the other ones
That's just a coincidence stemming from Playstation's origin as a SNES add-on.

>Hell, even Sega copied the shoulder buttons from the Super Famicom
But they retained the 6 face-button layout that they pioneered. It can be equally said that Nintendo copied it with the N64's controller.

>The Super Famicom's soundchip was of really high technology even for 2000 standards
Haha, no. The Sound Blaster 16 (released for PC in 1992) was well ahead of what the SNES had.

>I think the sound on the N64 would also be really great if Sony and Nintendo's relationship never soured with the Super Famicom CD.
N64 didn't have high quality sound because it didn't use disks. A lack of Sony hardware had nothing to do with it.

>Blast processing was just a meme
It isn't. Blast processing refers to the Mega Drive's faster RAM speed (double bandwidth of SNES), not the CPU.

>Super Famicom was more advanced in every way except for the CPU clockspeed
See above. Also the SNES' PPU couldn't into high resolution without gimping color count to under Mega Drive levels.
>>
Say, do any of you chaps think the the Mega Drive's sound capabilities produces something akin to flatulence?
>>
I prefer them both for different reasons. The SNES introduced me to the concept of the 'epic' game that goes on for 50+ hours and takes over my life.

The Mega Drive was like an arcade in my house. Perfect-length fast-paced arcade-like titles that I learned how to git gud on.

Gun to my head, I'd prefer the Mega Drive because Gunstar Heroes is my favourite game of all time, but the SNES was still a goddamn masterpiece.
>>
>>3784393
>This is objective, but the Super Famicom's soundchip was of really high technology even for 2000 standards

This is a joke. By 1992 you had consumer hardware available that could do much more channels in way better quality.

Hell the SNES sound chip wasn't even better than the 1985 Amiga sound chip, other than the polyphony.

SNES sound chip was technologically obsolete a year after release.
>>
>>3784448
>Haha, no. The Sound Blaster 16 (released for PC in 1992) was well ahead of what the SNES had.

Sound Blaster 16 only had one single PCM channel and you had to mix more in software. It wasn't really ahead of the SNES in that regard.

I think you meant the Gravis Ultrasound, which did cd quality with something like 12 channels, or lower quality but up to 32 channels.
>>
File: Dolby_Stereo_Logo.svg.png (19KB, 1280x177px) Image search: [Google]
Dolby_Stereo_Logo.svg.png
19KB, 1280x177px
>>3784780
Okay, but it had Dolby Stereo when most console games didn't even support it until the PSOne and N64 era.

And even then, only Hi-Fi VHS tapes and LaserDiscs had Dolby Stereo back then for home availability, only cinemas had them beforehand.
>>
Though I forgot, some PC games also had Dolby Stereo, but the Super Famicom had a better soundchip than most consoles back then.
>>
File: Nei_marv2.jpg (77KB, 468x422px) Image search: [Google]
Nei_marv2.jpg
77KB, 468x422px
Mega Drive
>looked better by far
>the pads suited my huge hands better
>the pads could be used to beat away an attacking dog, were run over by a car, dropped off a 100ft cliff and still work decades later
>direct headphone jack let you record music with less interference
>Phantasy Star

Also, for some reason the art style in scifi games tended to catch my eye better than similar ones on SNES.
>>
>>3784792
>>3784790
Dolby is nice but it doesn't matter if the soundchip can't make good sound, does it? I wouldn't bring PC into this because it had stuff like the MT-32 and Gravis Ultrasound.
>>
>>3784789
Yeah I did mean the Gravis.
>>
>>3784805
Dolby Stereo still impresses me even for Blu-rays (Yes, not all Blu-rays have fancy Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/7.1/6.1/5.1 surround sound).

The Criterion Blu-rays of Brazil and Akira Kurosawa's Dreams were DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 but still surround encoded ala. Dolby Stereo and those were awesome.

Also, Star Wars Trilogy: Despecialized Edition and some of the Studio Ghibli films.

My demo Dolby Stereo movies are still Return of the Jedi Despecialized and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.
>>
And yes, even with the fancier surround methods.
I still love Dolby Stereo.
>>
>>3784790
It didn't do Dolby Stereo, that's only for films. But some SNES games supported Dolby Surround.

Implementing Dolby Surround is really basic. Any sample-based system can do it. You just pre-encode the samples with the surround matrix. Easy as piss, and literally any single PCM-supporting audio system can do it - even the Mega Drive since it has 1 PCM channel.

Here's the thing - some N64 games, think Conker, RE2 and such, actually dynamically encode the audio with the surround matrix because they are 3D games with relative 3D positions. That's totally different and more advanced to the baked surround that SNES games have.
>>
>>3784817
Yes, I just call it Dolby Stereo even if Dolby Surround was the version used for home cinema because of how necessary it was to rename a brand for another platform, Dolby Digital was Dolby Digital for cinema, DVD and even video games, same thing for Dolby Atmos.
>>
the MD has much better sound than people give it credit for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG1H_88Vmh0

Now that doesnt sound very flatulent, does it?
>>
>>3784834
that sounds like ear rape
>>
>>3784834
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_60V8UdYEY
the SNES can do similar stuff, but this is only when you disregard size constraints.
>>
I like that it's 320x224 and not 256x224 like the SNES. Why the fuck did they even make that the resolution? Now games have to be stretched to fit 4:3, and the games are split between ones that accommodated for this and ones that didn't.
>>
>>3780248
i like aladdin and sonic
but super mario world is the best game of all time behind maybe doom
>>
>>3783310
For the longest time, whenever people brought up that the Genesis had a bad sound chip, my mind would immediately conjure up music from Sonic games and Streets of Rage 2, and it left me confused.
It was only when I started seriously collecting Genesis games and played a various amount of third party games that I realized what people were talking about.
>>
What the hell is Dolby Stereo?
What the hell is Dolby Surround?
How do I get it to play on my bookshelf speakers (I assume it won`t reveal itself on TV speakers)?
What SNES games support this Dolby sound?
What games on other consoles or computers support this Dolby sound?
>>
>>3784393
>The Super Famicom's controller was ergonomically better
No it wasn't. The Genesis pad had handles that fit into your palms and it was grooved in the back so your fingers can easily grasp it without needing to pinch the controller to hold it. Nintendo didn't have a good ergonomic controller until the N64 due to the handles and how they fit into your hands and how your fingers wrapped around it. The N64 controller was a bit more robust and much curvier than the SNES.
>And that's counting life support addons, to boot.
Since you bring those add-ons into the argument you know they were utterly unsuccessful in prolonging the life of the Genesis thus the reason why the Genesis lived as long as it did wasn't due to add-ons but software for the base console.
>And no, Brazilian bootlegs and remodels don't count.
Yet the SNES life span in one country counts over the Genesis life span in one country? You totally don't seem biased.
>>
I unironically enjoy the style of most Genesis music over the SNES music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v-Efsbqnkc
>>
>>3784393
>super famicom

Weeb, pls
>>
I find this argument quite interesting to be quite honest. I'm 21 (babby I know sorry) and my first console experience was on my big brothers Sega Genesis. Golden Axe II. Yet in recent years I was convinced that the SNES was just plain better due to the better mainstream games.

Spent the past few months investing back in the Genesis, playing some games from my childhood. It's safe to say the Genesis is just a cooler console than the SNES. I also think Genesis has the best platform game, best beat em up and the best arcade ports.

Having said that, the RPG's on the console are starved (one of my favourite genres) and that is something the SNES has in spades over the Genesis. In the end I think I love both equally for the different stuff they bring to the table.

Best Genesis music coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Qbjf0ftpk

Favourite Genesis game coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQzX9f3lMM
>>
genesis kinda sounds like farts
>>
>average Genesis music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Br4w8KkMPw

>average SNES music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3Uj5qgk-8
>>
>>3790461
SNES sounds like Seinfeld. That's much much worse than farts
>>
As a kid, I wanted a Genesis but got an SNES instead. As an adult, I have a Genesis but wish I had an SNES.
>>
>>3790465
how dare you slight seinfeld
>>
>>3788683
Dolby Stereo and Dolby Surround are basically the same, Dolby Stereo was just the cinema version and Dolby Surround is the home video and game version. It basically turns something that is stereo with surround channels encoded into 4.0 surround.

You can play it with an amplifier that supports Dolby Pro Logic and it will work.

Apparently, there are some games which support Dolby Stereo but aren't labeled as such like Final Fantasy IV. Some of the Super Famicom games which are known to support it are Jurassic Park, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean and Secret of Mana 2 - Seiken Densetsu 3.

Dolby Stereo is much more common on the PSOne and Nintendo 64, with games such as Final Fantasy VIII on the PSOne and Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64.

Many games support Dolby Stereo on the PC, Hell, it was common till even 2008.

I know Dark Forces had Dolby Stereo but the sequels improved it with full 5.1 audio.
>>
>>3788879

I do too. They sound more like video games to me, if that makes sense.
>>
>>3790461

why does this sound like 80's workout montage music

hot damn that's nice
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.