[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Neverhood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: 0133.png (98KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0133.png
98KB, 640x480px
Anybody remember this game? it was made out of literal tons of clay. 3 and a half to be exact.
Soundtrack is also crazy.
It also had a sequel, Skullmonkeys for ps1. and a japanese PS1 release, along with a (bootleg?) air hockey game, but with guns.
scummvm also runs it.
thoughts?
>>
>>3779398
It's ok.
The recent sequel was terrible.
>>
Fucking loved it as a kid. Very fond memories of both the game and the soundtrack.
>>
>>3779402
Armikrog? it was a disappointment
>>3779423
I only have faint memories, father says that he almost remembers it.
>>
>>3779423
loved the title song:
bi ba bo, bi ba badibe da ba di do
>>
>>3779516
The skullmonkeys theme?
ooohhhh yesssssssss
>>
The music of the game is legendary.
>>
File: claype.png (279KB, 428x546px) Image search: [Google]
claype.png
279KB, 428x546px
>>3779398
3 and a half tons!! You'd have to have some serious arts & crafts connections to score that much clay. I thought they just modeled it in 3D and made it look like clay. I hope they sold enough games to pay for all that clay.
>>
>>3779913
That is an amazing Pepe
>>
>>3779402
>The recent sequel was terrible.
Give me a quick rundown.
>>
>>3779398
I can also read Wikipedia articles.
>>
>>3779398
Well Skullmonkeys was terrible. For years I thought that was the main game and had never heard of Neverhood.

Skullmonkeys, iirc, suffers from a bad case of screen zoom. The camera is way to close and claustrophobic. Plus the actually gameplay felt really loose, and the missing frames (something that I usually don't notice in games) was VERY noticeable.

I've thought about going back and playing Neverhood. I've heard it's got a handful of steep puzzles, and apparently one that's frustrating and complex on another level.
>>
>>3779973
OH NO YOU FOUND OUT
>>
>>3779984
The most complex puzzle is the hall of records...
~40 screens of just text
>>
>>3779398
Really cool and creative title, love the soundtrack. Haven't played in awhile. I remember reading it cost about $2-3 million dollars to make.
>>3779953
I remember reading it was really short and the puzzles feeling weak.
>>3779984
I quite like skullmonkeys, simple enough but fun platformer.
>>
>>3779913
Another fun fact about that:
The cameras used to shoot it had a resolution of 800x600 and were black and white only, so three cameras were used (one for each color.)
>>
a game remembered for looking cool, having a famous cartoon guy make it, and a good soundtrack. Of course, what actually matters - the game play - is awful.
>>
>>3779423
Ev'rybody waayyoh.
>>
>>3779953
on release it had
> broken sound with the wrong music playing in the wrong moments, voice samples not playing and the voices sounding like they were recorded inside a garbage can
> broken puzzles
> broken save feature
> no custom cursor
> no hot spot indication
> which gets worse when you realise that there are things on the screen that you can only interact with after certain other conditions have been met and together with the fact that there's
> no reaction of the player character to almost anything so you don't know whether what you did was wrong, not activated yet or simply just something in the background that is not part of any puzzle
> the most obnoxious puzzle ever that has a baby constantly crying in the background and you have to do it multiple times
> in fact, a lot of the puzzles have to be done multiple times
> moon logic that goes beyond Monkey Island's "monkey wrench" puzzle - there's one early part in the game where you had to switch to your blind dog sidekick to talk to a squid-thing at the ceiling - nowhere in the game is it said that your dog can do that and just clicking on the squid as the main character does jack shit
> fun story: the intro music being horribly mixed led to a funny moment where some anon actually DID immediately clicked on the squid as the dog because he misheard "sidekick" as "psychic" in the lyrics of the opening song
> not as funny as one would hope
>>
definitely one of the most creative games out there.

also, why does Klogg hand you the crown? whether you make the good or evil choice, either way he loses. he acts as though giving it to you is screwing you over, although that's not what happens. I wonder what the backstory is and what he thought would happen.
>>
>>3779913
>doesn't know how much clay weighs
>doesn't know how much a ton is
You had a deprived childhood in so many ways. I hope you at least enjoyed sports
>frogfag pic
Damn son. I guess that's how robots are made.

FYI, that's about enough clay to fill a small room in a small flat in some place no one wants to live and would have cost about a months rent on said room.
>>
>>3780089
That's strange.. they could achieve the same results using only one camera with three different color filter lens.
>>
>>3780568
>that's strange...that some kid believes everything another kid posts on the intarwebz
>jk not strange at all
There are advantages to using 3 cameras instead of filters though. Back then, if you had the budget and needed speed or quality, that's the way you'd go
>>
File: VOGNAUT.png (1MB, 1795x1822px) Image search: [Google]
VOGNAUT.png
1MB, 1795x1822px
>>3780141
>fun story: the intro music being horribly mixed led to a funny moment where some anon actually DID immediately clicked on the squid as the dog because he misheard "sidekick" as "psychic" in the lyrics of the opening song

Holy shit. That was me. I stated that in the same thread I posted this fanart.
>>
File: carb.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
carb.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
a heavily flawed game, even though its a personal favourite of mine, some of the sections in the game become absolutely tedious; see pic for example. (though too give it credit the music in this section is dope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTUXDgzv3Wc)
>>
>>3782536
Hold up a sec, guy who said three cams here.

I just went to look it up, and I made a mistake.
It was a single camera with 3 CCD sensors in it.
So yeah, 3 cameras, but all in one unit.

It also had a resolution of 1528×1146.
Strange thing is, all of the making of videos and articles mention their resolution as much lower.
>>
File: eksXWz8.jpg (14KB, 210x263px) Image search: [Google]
eksXWz8.jpg
14KB, 210x263px
>>3785491
Most professional cameras use 3xCCD, one for red, one for green and one for blue.
>>
>>3785491
Perhaps they just did not use the max resolution of the camera for a number of reasons - lack of bandwidth, max resolution had some significant bottlenecks, or they just didn't have that much space to store the footage.

That certainly explains why they never made a HD version of Neverhood, though.

Maybe instead of Armikrog they could've made Neverhood HD.
>>
File: saboten.jpg (16KB, 214x235px) Image search: [Google]
saboten.jpg
16KB, 214x235px
This seems like the right thread.

Do you guys know where I can find
Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong-Nou?
and it's squeal?

There doesn't seem to be download link anywhere. I'm on a quest for good surrealist games.
>>
Is there a translation of the PSX version of this game? They released it on PSX in Japan exclusively, and it'd be pretty neat to play this on a console.
>>
Best game soundtrack ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGk1bQ9rcU

One of the comments on that soundtrack says "This song is the sound of one clown raping another clown."
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>3780141
>>3779402
>>3779468
Don't wanna derail the thread but feel this needs to be posted.

Practically spat out my crabs legs when I saw this.
>>
>>3786568
This sounds something id love to listen while high/on shruums
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.