[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which King of Fighters is the best, and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 51

Which King of Fighters is the best, and why?
>>
'95
>>
98 because it has the best gameplay, rooster, and balance.
99 has better sprite artwork and music than 98, but the striker shit is what ruined the game
97 has the better story, but thats not saying much
95 is the hardest one
and 96 has the best OST
you can play 94 but is very primitive compared to the other ones
>>
File: King_Of_Fighters_99_Evolution.jpg (79KB, 945x930px) Image search: [Google]
King_Of_Fighters_99_Evolution.jpg
79KB, 945x930px
>>3778598
I like the PS2/Steam versions of 98U and 2002U
But more retro one that I also like is 99 Evolution on Dreamcast
Or just any KoF with Yamazaki in it.
>>
95 is the better of the original KOF style.
97 would of been amazing but it has no music
98 especially UM has great compilation of the Orochi saga
00 is the last one made by the original SNK and has the best OST IMO
2k2 UM is probably the one of the best remakes since the original 2k2 wasn't so good
That's all for originals
XI is great for fanservice, XIII has somw great spritework and dlc characters are op, XIV is an amazing fighter but meh graphics
>>
94+95 Have bullshit difficulty when doing Arcade mode runs but feel so satisfying when you get through it all

98UM is a damn good representative entry of the whole franchise

2k2UM is enjoyable despite the MUGEN-esque presentation and fast ass gameplay

XI has the best roster out of the whole series and it does what it sets out to accomplish for itself well.

XIV is a nice start to a new beginning for SNK. It's just a solid title.
>>
>>3778598
98 is the definitive KOF to play. Both the original and UMFE. UMFE nerfed down the damage so hits don't feel as visceral as in og98, but the controls have been loosen up and the Extra mechanics have been buffed. Also, og98 has most characters from 94 to 97 (UMFE has them all).

2002 is a bit faster, more rushdown/combo-heavy 98. It introduced BC combos which players might like or not. Balance-wise, it mostly favors rushdown as opposed to the more neutral/poke-heavy 98. The roster consists of some of the characters from 99 to 2001. 02UM has all of them and tried to fix the balance. Also, 02UM's presentation is completely different with gorgeous artwork from Hiroaki and a brand new soundtrack.

2000 is best one with assists. A lot of people don't like the assist shit, because it makes the game look like Marvel with nearly touches-of-death and broken setups. But the presentation is top notch and it's the last game made before SNK went bankrupt. Also, it's the only one where assists actually work without being absurdly broken.

2001 is the XvSF of KOF. It's mostly played for the lol.

95 is best oldschool, oldschool KOF. Gameplay is more reminiscent of SF/FF/AOF.

China loves 97. It's a faster and looser 98 with OP characters.

As far as /vr/ KOF go, I think that's it.
>>
My favorite it's 96.
To me it has the best music, characters, backgrounds and personality all around.
I have a problem with the successors, I didn't liked how they focused too much in the tournament aspect and almost all backgrounds are full of people, TV cameras and banners. Didn't liked how Kof 97 or 98 had rounds with no music and all. Also, I hate they removed your team pals cheering you in the background and putting faces if you got hit.

I don't know, I really like all the king of fighters, but those little details, among others, makes me enjoy less the new releases and I don't have so much fun even f they have improved playability.
>>
>>3778818
>The roster consists of some of the characters from 99 to 2001
Plus some characters who haven't been seen since 98 (Special Team, New Faces Team, Rugal, Mature, Vice) and a new Kyo clone
>>
Can I borrow this thread and make the same question but in relation to the Samurai Shodown series? Is there any installment that's generally regarded as the best one or entry point in the series?
>>
>>3778960
With pleasure m8, this thread now is a "redpill me on SNK fighting games" general
>>
File: ShortRareDeer.webm (793KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ShortRareDeer.webm
793KB, 320x240px
>>3778960
For sure.

First, you got SamSho 2. This is the game people refer to when they talk about classic SamSho. This is the pure, no subsystem, experience. Just pokes, zoning, footsies, hard-read-nets-you-hard-damage. It's the SF2 of the series. By the way, your waifu (going by your pic) is top tier in this game.

Then, you got SamSho 5sp. On top of vanilla SS5's roster, it has bosses from the previous games. It keeps some of SS2's feel while adding some subsystems, like the rage explosion (acts like a burst), the issen (comeback slash that does a shitload of damage) and state of nothingness (slowmo). Some players might not like them. The roster is pretty balanced though and it's still the most popular of the new games, as popular as the series can get anyway. Beautiful portrait artworks too. Despite boasting the second biggest roster of the main games, some characters from SamSho 2 are not there (Cham Cham, Nicotine, Gen-an, Earthquake, Wan-Fu, Sieger).

Then, some players also like SamSho 4. It's a big departure from SamSho2 and 5sp. For one, it's more combo-heavy and those combos can get pretty ridiculous. The chain system acts a bit like KI's or UMK3's dial-a-combo. Then, it eschews the roll that 2 and 5sp have for the sway, as in you can get in the back of your opponent, hit him and get him into backhit state, which in turn grants more hitstun than a front hit. This is what usually allows for hugeass combos and even infinites. Throws also allow this. Finally, there's the slash/bust modes that change the whole moveset so you actually have double the roster. (cont.)
>>
>>3778598
98 because it has based Rugal and Omega Rugal.
>>
>>3778598
I really like 95, such a hard game bet very rewarding, neowave is pretty good too
>>
My favorite is 95 but because I don't like fighting games with a lot of mechanics or overly complicated combos (or bullshit infinites or abusive combos) or a lot of shit to keep my mind into while fighting.

95 kept things really simple and straight foward. Sure, your lifebar depletes in a 4 hit combo but if it happens to you, you deserve it.
>>
File: amwf.webm (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
amwf.webm
1MB, 640x480px
Finally, there's SamSho Tenka, usually referred as SamSho 6. It's a mishmash of the whole main series with some of its own flavor added on top. You got all the characters from 1 to 5 plus new characters including Pres. Andrew Jackson as a bishounen musket wielder and fapbait Iroha. Mechanic-wise, you get to choose between six "grooves" (nine if you play on console, but two of them are novelty shit and the other one is broken), each one repping its respective game. So even Tenka has its own groove, which is more similar to other fighting games like SF (building meter by hitting and whiffing special moves instead of getting hit).

The whole game in general is a more streamlined SamSho, made to feel like standard fighting games for new players. This also means that the grooves aren't 100% accurate to their original counterpart. We're talking about a game that has a chain-based groove (IV-spirit) coexisting with less combo-heavy grooves. This means that a) IV-spirit's chains are more limited and b) overall damage output has been reduced. Also, throws are actually techable now, jumps are faster, there are two kinds of ukemi (one that evades attacks, one that evades throws), only one type of pursuit, and you can actually juggle. Also, some characters can only hop instead of running (Kyoshiro, Tam Tam, Genan, Gaira, Kusaregedo, Iroha and Amakusa).

All of that means that some players find Tenka to be a watered-down SamSho, while some like it because it acts like a baby's first SamSho (couldn't find another way to put it) with a lot of content and streamlined mechanics.

Also, SamSho 2 is the last game in the series to have three types of kick buttons (all games after that only have one kick button.) This is important, because it's a major part of the gameplay. While slashes are unsafe, kicks are not so you can use for throw mixup and even combo from them. Also, jump-in kicks beat reactive antiairs.
>>
>>3779517
>>3779584
Thank you for the high quality post, I just played 1 and fell in love with the game's style and gameplay mechanics, I guess I'Il just download 2, 5 and Tenka for MAME and see how it works out.
>>
File: kasumi.gif (8KB, 165x160px) Image search: [Google]
kasumi.gif
8KB, 165x160px
02um or 98um
>>
XI but it's not retro, so 2003.
>>
Can someone explain why 97 had no music?
>>
Are the Neo Geo AES versions considered 100% perfect ports, or are there differences?
>>
>>3779626

It did?

>>3779678

100 percent perfect, that was whole point of the system and the reason for the insane prices
>>
>>3779626

no fucking idea. The stupidest thing is some characters had music and it was fucking awesome.
>>
File: gonna take mary for a ride.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gonna take mary for a ride.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>3779626
>97 has no music
When will this meme end?

97 DOES have music. Where do you think '98 New Faces Team's themes and '98/XI Shingo's theme come from?

Just check any '97 video on YT and you'll know it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiF-GVtR1Rw
>>
>>3779626
Because it sounds like real life fighting.
>>
>>3778598
96; best overall. It was the last one to not pause for the flash during a DM or SDM.
>>
>>3778598
98 is probably my favorite to play. But my favorite one aesthetically may be 2k2 and 2k2um
>>
I'd say 97. I loved that atmosphere it had with ambient sounds instead of music, and it's not like 98 added anyone essential to the roster.
>>
2002 UM is by far the best in terms of balance/characters

98 if you want a solid fighting experience
>>
>>3779974
I actually really liked that some character's themes would play when they came out and it was ambient sound the rest of the time. It reminded me of the wrestling.
>>
>>3779606
Make sure you play 5 Special instead of regular 5, also I'm not sure whether MAME can play Tenka but it had a PS2 port that emulates perfectly in PCSX2 (same with most of SNK's PS2 releases)
>>
>>3779626
>the best version of Esaka
>the best version of Cool Jam
>RBS theme songs for Outlaw Team
>not music
>>
>>3778960
Sam Sho is technically best of SNK's series. Its depth is staggering, especially SSIV. Now, "best" is not a good term to go by when it comes to fighters, because what players like in a game is naturally all different. SS II is when the series hit the height so it's most nostalgic and most popular. SS IV as I mentioned has so much things you can do, it's staggering. The things you can learn in that game rivals MVC2. SSVS is supposedly the best balanced one although I never got to participate in that. SS VI is the biggest and the most of the series, with cvs style select-a-desperation-gauge and near every characters in the series, but not necessarily well balanced.
If you want to jump into the game, the first one would be what I think is the easiest one. They haven't put in crazy stuff like hop, roll, supine etc yet, and the game itself isn't unplayable.

tl;dr pick a game 2/4/5s/6
>>
>>3780065
SamSho was truly the thinking man's fighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J7q_52BAog
>>
>>3780240
That looks so great. What is the secret?
>>
>>3778619
>best [...] rooster

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3779568
>I really like 95, such a hard game bet very rewarding

lol
>>
>>3780256
Roster.
>>
>>3779779
why there's pixel distortion (mixels) when the camera scrolls vertically?
>>
>>3781101
I don't know. I just converted a youtube vid I found.
>>
KOF 2001 was the first title I ever played in the series when I got a burn of it for Dreamcast. I really loved it and found the other ones to be too slow. I loved KOF 2003 as well.
>>
File: IMG_20170205_223717.jpg (427KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170205_223717.jpg
427KB, 1920x1080px
I'm not a huge fan but mine is '98.

Wished it came out on Saturn.
>>
>>3779779
it has music but i hate the fact of the matter that only starts when certain characters are in except for New Faces, Outlaw, and Orochi whose themes are constantly playing.
>>
>>3782091
So, this edition of 95 is modified to use a regular ram cart, is there a difference between it and the original release?
>>
>>3778617
This is the correct answer.
>>
File: Kof98.jpg (203KB, 628x927px) Image search: [Google]
Kof98.jpg
203KB, 628x927px
>>3778598
98, because it has the best EVERYTHING
>>
Somewhat related.
I can't tell which is better, real bout fatal fury special or garou: mark of the wolves, does /vr/ have an opinion on this?
>>
>>3782359
It uses a ROM cartridge + CD combo.
Think Sega 32CD games and it's the same concept.

Aa far as differences, I'm not sure. It's been a good long time since I've played and I've never played the cabinet of it and I guess I can emulate the NEOGEO rom to compare.

I do remember the game having some load time.
>>
File: IMG_20170206_035705.jpg (349KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170206_035705.jpg
349KB, 1920x1080px
>>3782462
Pic
>>
>>3782467
Ah ha! Growing up a friend of mine had a saturn and I always wondered what the cart slot was for.
>>
>>3782470
RAM expansion mostly. Think N64 Expansion Pak.
>>
>>3782470
Only two games , other being Ultraman, used the ROM + CD combo. ROMs are game specific.

Then some games, as mentioned, uses 1MB or 4MB RAM expansion cartridges. Some as an option, some as a requirement.

Slot was also for memory cartridges for saves.
>>
>>3782467

The saturn KOFs don't work with a PAR do they? I remember hearing you needed their own carts
>>
>>3782491
Only '95 because the ROM cartridges held game data that's unique that PAR doesn't and can't replicate. Though there's some French guy in Japan that is making cartridges with SD solts that also has the 1/4MB RAM capability and will be programmed with the ROM data for both '95 and Ultraman.

I think PAR works with '96 & '97. I gave my PAR to a friend because I have a JPN Saturn. I could ask to borrow it to be certain.
>>
>>3782424
i like real bout special a lot better, its my fav non swords snk fighter
>>
>>3782856

The Saturn version is the closest one to the Original MVS version. And it has much better loading times than the PS1
>>
>>3782398
For babies who only play the AI maybe. Otherwise not at all.
>>
>>3782934
Never spent much time with RBFF, but my biggest problem with Garou is how shallow it feels compared to KoF. It must really be bad.
>>
>>3783002
Compared to KoF I find it pretty boring. Tiny roster doesn't help but it's mostly the core gameplay.
>>
>>3783002
If anything, Garou is way more rushdown-oriented than KOF98.
>>
>>3782424
I prefer RBS by far. For one, it has one of the best version of Mai ever.
>>
>>3780256
Boy’s gotta mouth like a cannon, always shootin’ it off
>>
>>3783578
>XI kind of polished what 2003 started.

I wish XI got more love. I thought it was one of the better non dream match titles
>>
>>3783748
>People like it because it's the only KoF game they got to play in US.

We got plenty of KOF games in the US. 99 got a PS1 release for sure and Dreamcast got a retitled 98 (Dream match 99)

I could have sworn we got at least 96 too though but I can't find it for the life of me. I know I played it at some point too and I don't remember it being an import but my friends did have a lot of those so maybe.
>>
'98 was the first game in the series I ever played, got it on Dreamcast at launch. I still break it out from time to time. I loved syncing it up with King of Fighters R2 on the NGPC and leveling up my custom Shingo at ultra-speed.
>>
File: nSFDkYN.jpg (232KB, 1178x839px) Image search: [Google]
nSFDkYN.jpg
232KB, 1178x839px
>>3784096
og94, 96 and 97 definitely weren't released in the US in the 90s.
>>
>>3784345
>sitting in the arcade

Did I get rused during my childhood? 100% of arcade rooms had no chairs or stools whatsoever (in Yurop).

So basically the rest of the world was paying $0.25 instead of $1 or even $2, and they had chairs to sit for this price? Why is Western Yurop such a ripoff?
>>
>>3784467
Not sure. Didn't grow up during that era, but I think they only had sitting ones in Japan.
>>
>>3784467
>western europe
>using an american dollar sign
>>
>>3784226
>playing fighters against the cpu
>>
File: Sf3logo.png (60KB, 300x148px) Image search: [Google]
Sf3logo.png
60KB, 300x148px
SNK fighters are all spectacle over substance.
>>
>>3784538

That's life when you don't have any siblings or friends with a Dreamcast in 1999.
>>
>>3784541
samurai shodown, must hurt to feel wrong.
>>
>>3784547
Samsho had like one good game with Samsho2, the rest are all gimmicky shit that replaced all samurai with pretty bois.
>>
>>3784542
Maybe fighters are not for you then.
>>
>>3784541
>SF fag picking shit

someone's got something to prove
>>
>>3784532
Duh, did you expect me to put the original price in a currency that got replaced by the euro 15 years ago?

But it was the equivalent of $1 per credit, so very expensive.

>>3784538
That's called growing up in the 90s, Anon. No online gaming, no friends to play with (because only mega-nerds played KOF, and mega-nerds don't have friends).
>>
>>3784576
We're not in the 90s anymore, fag.
>>
>>3784578
>>>/v/
>>
>>3784586
Get gud.
>>
>>3784541
>posting how do you do, fellow fighting game patricians: the game
>>
My favorites are 98 (best roster and my first exposure to the series), 2000 (beautiful presentation and I actually like the Striker system a lot, especially all the goofy bonus striker characters), and 99 which is almost as good as 2000.
>>
File: hinakostance.gif (30KB, 53x85px) Image search: [Google]
hinakostance.gif
30KB, 53x85px
>>3784940
I think they were just experimenting a lot and trying to hit on something that worked. There was a lot bad in those years, but it was kind of cool to work out what sucked and what was broken. '98 was always there for perfectly refined KoF when we wanted it, so I was alright with the experimentation even if most of it was shitty in the end.

It was nice to see Whip go from being real shitty so solidly decent. Sad about Hinako, but I love using her anyways.
>>
File: whipgun.gif (38KB, 299x171px) Image search: [Google]
whipgun.gif
38KB, 299x171px
>>3785093
>IMO it was literally fixing what hasn't been broken.

Well that's kind of the thing. With '98 being near perfect they needed to find some way to make people want to move on and play the new one. 98 as is would have been hard to improve on so they tried a few new directions in the hopes that would have worked.

Again, '98 was always going to be there so trying to out to it at it's own game was likely seen as too tall an order. I understand why they tried some new things, I'm mostly just disappointed that none of them were good in the end. Strikers are pretty terrible.

I like the switch up of characters, though I also liked that in SFIII. I like to see a lot of new characters.

As for Whip, I also never got deep into 2003/XI. They seemed alright, but by that time 95% of my KoF playing was either 98 or 2002 and I never felt the need to really delve into it. I always liked the way she played though, partly because it's so weird. She was garbage in '99 though. That's probably my least favorite year overall though so who cares.

If somehow they make another in the series that lives up to 98 or even 2002um then I'll be delighted, but I'm not holding my breath and am just happy those are around.
>>
>>3785185
>But they could simply build on '98.

And maybe in the end that would have been better, I'm just saying I understand why they made the decision they did. And I like them switching up the characters, but in '99 they depowered everyone too much and the new characters weren't good. I never found K' overly complicated. But I dislike him as a character.
>>
>>3784589
die
>>
>>3785318
>but heck, it's as if SFIII and MK3 didn't teach SNK anything.

I guess the way I look at it is that Yashiro and Chris are awesome in their game, but that doesn't mean they need to be in every game. But that just might be our different opinions. I wish Capcom switched up the rosters in SF more than they do.

>His specials are all tricky.
It's KoF, he seemed par for the course to me. But tricky moves is one of the things I like about the series.
>>
File: k9999crazyarm.gif (32KB, 300x120px) Image search: [Google]
k9999crazyarm.gif
32KB, 300x120px
>>3785412
>Why not?

Variety. I love '98, but I'm okay with '98 just being what it is and newer entries trying different things or bringing in different characters. Every once in a while a Dream match like 98 or 2002 is cool, but in general I like experimentation.

You don't have to agree, but personally even though I don't like any of them as much in the end I appreciated that they tried different things with 99-2001. I would rather they tried new things that ended up not working as well as they'd hoped than just iterating on '98. But that's just me and far from a universal attitude among fighter players.

>I never really liked the over-the-top experimental/weird moves. I think they should've kept those in SamSho.

That's fine, we just have different tastes.
>>
>>3784940

They where problem thinking

"People play this shit for fun and not to pick it apart and play professionally" because the FGC is fucking insane.

>—May Lee: IMO one of the blandest characters ever conceived by SNK

Also fuck you, May Lee is awesome
>>
File: may_lee_humio.jpg (263KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
may_lee_humio.jpg
263KB, 600x800px
>>3785819
>Uniornically using "I bet you like X" instead of arguments
>Shitting on Whip too
>Tier fag

man you're in no position to be calling anyone out on anything
>>
File: may.jpg (180KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
may.jpg
180KB, 500x800px
>>3785906
>Her "superman" quirk

she's straight Rider
>>
So what's the problem with May Lee, is she overpowered?
>>
File: JhunD03.gif (175KB, 186x218px) Image search: [Google]
JhunD03.gif
175KB, 186x218px
>>
File: May Lee 423.png (542KB, 1024x1186px) Image search: [Google]
May Lee 423.png
542KB, 1024x1186px
>>3785975
>she's just a very bland and poor design design.

I disagree, her design is great and she stands out very well. And the only reason she's unpopular is because Kingfags threw a bitch fit that their waifu got benched ONCE.

Plus her playstyle is a blast once you get used to mode switching
>>
>>3786014

You do realize the O in IMO stands for OPINION, right? You're not really do anything different.

>She hasn't been in any games after 2002, so make your own conclusions from this

Having a dead voice actor will do that. ass.
>>
>>3786057
>You imply out of nowhere that May Lee was popular.

No I said she was cool. That's not the same thing at all. In fact I also stated right up top that popularity isn't a show of quality. You're the one pulling that out of your ass.
>>
>>3786057
speaking of those new VA in XIV how have you adjusted to some of them, I really like some and others not so much.
>>
File: Trump.gif (861KB, 500x446px) Image search: [Google]
Trump.gif
861KB, 500x446px
>>3786138
>>
>>3786014
Not him, but uhh... no. I don't find May Lee's design outlandish enough to fit in KOF MI.

>>3785906
>bland girl in training pants
She's on par with other KOF characters.

>>3785975
>Luckily, KoF 2002 UM debuffed her so much she's a bottom tier in the game.
That's a shame, but I guess she's just a hard character to balance. For some people, that may be the synonym for poor game design. Maybe switch mode should cost a meter?
>>
>>3786046
THIS.
>>
File: 1468362848996.jpg (32KB, 466x382px) Image search: [Google]
1468362848996.jpg
32KB, 466x382px
>>3786046
>If it's not made by Capcom its not a fighting game.
>>
>>3781079
You can't be serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrwNhXDLkA
>>
File: hinako2000fix.jpg (69KB, 500x1100px) Image search: [Google]
hinako2000fix.jpg
69KB, 500x1100px
>>3784994
i love her too, she is one of the all time best snk designs
>>
>>3786187
>>3786138
MAKE SOUTHTOWN GREAT AGAIN

>>3785930
BUILD WALL
>>
>>3786067
I miss Terry's old VA
Iori's replacement is doing a fantastic job
Beninaru's is enjoyable and Kyo's VA doesn't get me like his older one does.
>>
>>3784345

Only in japan, the rest of the world had normal arcade machines
>>
File: 000160174.jpg (71KB, 700x784px) Image search: [Google]
000160174.jpg
71KB, 700x784px
>still one of the best Rei expy in SNK history

too bad that SNK will never evolve her into something far better than "hurr durr my curse, i cant be happy"

even the princess-ish games with her had more character developing

>>3787005
Satoshi was getting too old to voice Terry and Kim, Mai's VA too.

Too bad that SNK will never manage to get a Good EN dub team for This game, Scott Mcneil Terry would be awesome
>>
>>3785745
>"People play this shit for fun and not to pick it apart and play professionally"

Except that you have that completely backwards. These games are designed primarily for the FGC fans who will pick it apart. It's the casuals that the companies don't care about.
>>
>>3785906
>FGC is a pretty cancerous community

Can you explain what exactly you mean when you say something like this? I see people around here refer to fgc players as "cancer" or toss that word around a fair amount. I don't really know what you mean by it. What makes them "cancer"?
>>
File: Duckking2000.gif (65KB, 172x120px) Image search: [Google]
Duckking2000.gif
65KB, 172x120px
>>3786014
>That's, like, your opinion, man. IMO, she'd fit in KoF EX or MI, not mainline KoF.

Can you expand on this at all? How is what you're saying not just "your opinion, man"? What actual design choices are there in May Lee that make her not fit with other KoF characters?
>>
>>3787124
>There are people actually interested in playing the games.

That strongly implies that the fgc isn't interested in playing games.

>And there's the retarded vocal part, who will act superior in inappropriate places,

This whole sentence makes little sense. What's retarded about being vocal? What are inappropriate places? I still don't see how you connect the word cancerous to that.

>First, May Lee seems like a token Korean character

Is Kim? Is Jhun?

>Second, she's just one of the worse designs in the series.
>Third, the superhero gimmick really just feels like a desperate attempt to spice up her design.
>Last but not least, check her sprites. They look pretty lazy really.
>IMO, compared to other KoF characters, she just doesn't cut it.

Again, all opinion. So why was your response to the other guy "That's like, your opinion, man". All you're saying is you don't care for her so you can't imagine anyone else thinking different. Everything you've said is just personal opinions.
>>
File: The-Big-Lebowski-White-Russian.jpg (159KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
The-Big-Lebowski-White-Russian.jpg
159KB, 1600x1201px
>>3787141
>So why was your response to the other guy "That's like, your opinion, man"

Because it was a joke
>>
>>3787150
So you're just memeing and spouting out your ass for no real reason? Okay I guess...
>>
>>3787156
I'm not him.
>>
>>3787164
Why bother responding as if you were then? I'm really just trying to figure out what he's really saying because it's so ridiculous.
>>
>>3787174

again, may was made based on Eolith CEO's Daughter who loved fighting games

when Eolith and SNK broke, she was removed from the plot

also Chae lim was better than her, though in KoF Garou isn't canon, and maximum impact was forgotten
>>
>>3787174
>You haven't replied to any of my points.

I didn't bother to because they just seem like opinions stated as facts. I don't love May Lee, but I don't think she sticks out more than the rest of the cast. I think she's just as generic as Kim, she's just not as new.
>>
File: there-is-no-need-to-be-upset.png (816KB, 571x540px) Image search: [Google]
there-is-no-need-to-be-upset.png
816KB, 571x540px
>>3787186
>>
This thread made me appreciate May Lee a whole lot more. And Capcom makes the best fighters.
>>
>>3787186
I don't even really consider myself part of the FGC, I just found that statement about them very odd. Likewise I care little for May Lee, I was just trying to work out exactly what his problem with her was.
>>
>>
>>3787198
Not anymore

SFV sucks so bad that is ridiculous, even the art and the models sucks for SFM smut

Unless is Mika and Christy mack
>>
>>3787210
What ways is V worse than IV?
>>
Is XIII worth playing?
>>
>>3787219
No.
>>
File: 51TUxWTG27L._SY445_.jpg (55KB, 313x445px) Image search: [Google]
51TUxWTG27L._SY445_.jpg
55KB, 313x445px
>>3787168
Sounds like you need to watch this movie, man.
>>
>>3787228
That's a great movie, but I don't take references as a substitute for actually saying something of worth.
>>
>>3787276
Nona doesn't have anything to do with XII/XIII. Eisuke Ogura was the main chara-designer, just like XIV. He just went for a more stylish direction back in XII/XIII.

Also, one of the things I never saw mentioned on 4chan is that hitboxes and hop arcs were tweaked to heavily favor rushdown. That's a trend that first started in og02 and continued in XI. This is the main reason why I prefer XIV: it went back to a more neutral/poke-heavy game. You guys saw it too: people playing old builds like it was XIII just got wrecked.

>>3787124
>She wears the most common generic '90s–2000s outfit (see pic),
Sounds like a lot of KOF-only characters. Ironically, that's what outsiders usually think of KOF: a bunch of generic characters in street outfits. In that sense, May Lee does fit in.

>Her personality is very shallow, as well as her connection to the plot—she's just a generic upbeat girl.
Sounds like a bunch of those newer KOF waifu characters like Malin, Momoko, Hinako.
>>
File: top682.jpg (111KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
top682.jpg
111KB, 600x800px
I never bothered to learn his real name, but he went by Falcoon when his stuff was still just fan art. I liked his style as fan art, but I don't think it fits the game very well. Shinkiro will always be the definitive KoF artist to me and I'd love to see them follow more in his style.
>>
>>3787628
Source?

Also, don't companies usually rely on illustrations first, then base their sprites/models from these? Because that would be weird to have pixel art as first drafts.

>But at least they had memorable and stylish details
And May Lee has cool shades and a badass belt.

>Like Hinako is a shy girl, Leona is an uptight cold military girl
And May Lee is an upbeat waifu who idolizes Kim and seeks justice. That's not original by any means, but nor are the formers.

>>3787174
Okay, that's a suckyass idle animation, I'll give it to you.

I will say this though, just to be clear: I don't think she's one of the worst post-NESTS characters designed. I like her design, but I understand why KOF fans and SNK won't give a fuck about her.
>>
>>3787628
>They really are waifus, but at the same time they have very obvious and memorable personalities.

And the excitable super hero fangirl isn't a personality? Her personality is easily one of the strongest of the new characters and it's all carried out through her in game poses and sprites. Far more so than SHY GIRL and MILITARY GIRL.

I don't care if you like her not but you're talking right out your ass. Seriously did a Korean girl kick your dog or something? Because if you can't see May's personality through her sprites and think she's generic design wise then you're doing it on purpose.
>>
File: maylee-taunt121.gif (19KB, 88x130px) Image search: [Google]
maylee-taunt121.gif
19KB, 88x130px
>>3787823
>These are cool details, but barely visible on the sprite

If you have a shitty TV maybe. The belt and shades are clearly visible and the scarf is a striking accessory

>The rest is just an ordinary girl with no real personality, which is just too boring and awkward for a fighting game.

A ordinary girl who incorporates rider kicks, poses and a mode shift into her repertoire. So normal, not.

>Training pants, printed T-shirt, snazzy glasses, and all that with tokusatsu outfit? Isn't there a bit too much going on?

No because the color balance is nice and simple. The t-shirt combines with her training clothes to show a modern girl whose dedicated to her art but still has a casual upbeat outlook on life and the frog is iconic.

>Remember that Yuri used to be just a side character. But they made her memorable: gave her the butt taunt, the mischievous/cocky personality, etc.

And you can see all that with May Lee's taunts and poses. She's a cocky super hero fangirl and it shows through. You can see emotions busting from her just fine.

>She just copied it from Kim.

by that logic Yuri is copying Ryo.
>>
File: stop liking.jpg (207KB, 680x473px) Image search: [Google]
stop liking.jpg
207KB, 680x473px
>>3787832

Im not the one flipping out because someone posted a waifu he didn't like.
>>
File: maylee-super.gif (3KB, 93x166px) Image search: [Google]
maylee-super.gif
3KB, 93x166px
>>
File: May.Lee.full.966972.jpg (88KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
May.Lee.full.966972.jpg
88KB, 600x800px
>>
File: mayleeww.gif (4KB, 165x151px) Image search: [Google]
mayleeww.gif
4KB, 165x151px
>>3787851

Im not hearing an argument. The only thing you've been able to come up with pure bullshit or straight up lies.
>>
File: maylee-neowave.jpg (23KB, 257x529px) Image search: [Google]
maylee-neowave.jpg
23KB, 257x529px
>>3787863

Im not the one whose resorting to "fuck offs" and Im not the one who started shit because someone liked who I didn't.
>>
>>3787842
>No because the color balance is nice and simple. The t-shirt combines with her training clothes to show a modern girl whose dedicated to her art but still has a casual upbeat outlook on life and the frog is iconic.
Oh yeah, this. I forgot to mention it. I like the balance between blue and white. Plus, that kind of outfit reminds me of Xiaoyu's alts in Tekken, which I like a lot. I wish May Lee would wear a shorter t-shirt showing her navel. And short, slick black hair please?

Also, she's showing some mighty child-bearing hips in that gif.
>>
>>3785975
>Luckily, KoF 2002 UM debuffed her so much she's a bottom tier in the game.
Were all the debuffs also what made her voice change in 02UM?
>>
I think May Lee is one of those characters I just straight up ignored. My first KOF was 2002UM and I remember seeing her as one of the forgettable characters like an ascended NPC character. Coming back now I see the reason for her appreciation and why some people can get really attached to her but this is the series where SNK really goes into intimate detail about the personality of every character so someone would like her. I think KOF hit a design slump in the 2000's and some came out as beloved and others not so much or got cult fanbases.

May Lee, to me, is a design that lacks an iconic punch, I see her and kind of don't know what to make of her. Not necessarily negative but just different. Terry has a vibrant red and iconic truckers cap, Kim's got a uniform that's a different design than most Gi, Hinako looks cute and is a quirky combination of things that I haven't seen before but May Lee has a shirt, a belt and nothing that would draw me to her in paticular but she's not offensive either.
>>
File: IMG_20160702_072112.jpg (94KB, 480x807px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160702_072112.jpg
94KB, 480x807px
Best girls are Mary, Vanessa and Angel
>>
>>3788786
Mian, King, Yuri, Bonne and Kasumi would all like a word with you.
>>
File: kasumi jog.png (571KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kasumi jog.png
571KB, 800x1200px
>>3788796

Kasumi is Todohlly awesome.
>>
File: Kasumi_todoh_2000.jpg (84KB, 450x1150px) Image search: [Google]
Kasumi_todoh_2000.jpg
84KB, 450x1150px
>>
>>3788862
>>3788893
You speak my language brother,
More Kasumi for all because she was redeemable from AoF3
>>
File: images (1).jpg (7KB, 218x231px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
7KB, 218x231px
The Fatal Fury designers do not get enough credit for their character designs and I know KOF XIV sought to avoid being over representative of FF but the Garou team (Minus KoD/Tizoc and replace with Kevin or Hotaru) would've worked so well
>>
>tfw no Nakoruru in retro KOF

WHY
>>
Sluts vs Faggots: Millenium Fightan 2000
>>
File: aof3.jpg (261KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
aof3.jpg
261KB, 1280x852px
>>3788932

I actually really like AoF3. The sprites are gorgeous. Though granted there's really only a handful of characters I really like it in it. But it's a fun game with some great presentation.
>>
>>3784541
pot calling the kettle black
>>
>>3786187
i wish the gameplay in fatal fury 3 was as good as the atmosphere
>>
Why does SNK soundteam both original and arranged themes sound so amazing In all FF, KOF and AoF game? It's so catchy and great lifting music too
>>
>>3789201
That's why Real bout was made. Tfw it has the best billy kane theme
>>
>>3789345
Someone post that sexy saxophone. You know the one.
>>
>>3789350
https://youtu.be/bL91scCpc6M
God that sexy arranged version the XIII version is also well done.
>>
>>3779584
I like ss6 because it's baby's first Samsho. And if i want a real samsho, it's in the anthology disc.
>>
>>3789372
But 5sp is not on this disc.

Nor any disc ever.
>>
File: rage girls.jpg (116KB, 709x677px) Image search: [Google]
rage girls.jpg
116KB, 709x677px
>>3789554

Im still hoping one day SNK releases a compilation of their non KOF, Metal Slug, Sam franchises. Toss in King of the Monsters, Rage of the Dragons, Gowcaizer, Ninja MAsters, NAM, POW etc.

Just a bunch of arcade games that never really had the chance of a home release
>>
>>3789826

A lot of shit did get compiled and I admittedly don't know everything that was but a lot of shit still never saw home release
>>
>>3778598
Capcom vs snk millennium fight 2000!
>>
>>3789345
Yamazaki's theme is still best theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdEa37Qdx4U
>>
>>3789349
every real bout game > garou
>>
>>3789935
I think it loos better, more classy
>>
File: download.jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
22KB, 400x300px
-jing king of bandit

idk but with app pc i edit game Kof n add a lot char animation in many game char.n play on that game
>>
>>3789951

the fuck?
>>
File: s6tCL2e.gif (202KB, 768x384px) Image search: [Google]
s6tCL2e.gif
202KB, 768x384px
I'm a try and calm this thread down. Look at the pretty backgrounds.
>>
File: NTuPG.gif (410KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
NTuPG.gif
410KB, 640x384px
>>3789987
>>
File: 3dGGa.gif (1MB, 800x336px) Image search: [Google]
3dGGa.gif
1MB, 800x336px
>>3789995
Some of these aren't kof but I think there mostly snk!
>>
File: 0zqUBeY.gif (260KB, 1024x384px) Image search: [Google]
0zqUBeY.gif
260KB, 1024x384px
>>3790001
>>
KOF 1997
>>
File: AOF.png (151KB, 480x370px) Image search: [Google]
AOF.png
151KB, 480x370px
>>3789010
Art of Fighting is secretly my holy trinity of games.
I don't even know how it happened, but its the series I am nostalgic about the most. Maybe it was because it seemed relatively grounded with minimal bizarre stuff, nice direct stories, no fate-of-the-world stuff. Like a really solid, 80's martial arts action movie story, excluding the Wyler maybe.
Also, best theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d086Bs0m_4c

Also best, the snes version of Mickey's theme which floors the original imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SqPDXtm7Hc

Its the series theme by default.
>>
>>3790884
Dude, AoF was a mediocre series, in fact AoF2 was garbage.

>Smashing AB to get the strong punch
>CD for strong kick
>Does shit damage to CPU
>CPU hits you, Fuckload of damage
>CPU's Hotboxes are different
>Nausea inducing Zooms

Only AoF3 is tolerable.
>>
>>3788649
>>3787873
>>3787859
>>3787853
>>3787850
>>3787842
Because Skullomania was a better (tough obvious) Kamen Rider expy.
>>
>>3790884

I feel like AOF could have been better as a beat em up. The way the games are presented pretty much scream double dragon
>>
>>3790884
PC Engine had a good remix too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrGfE1XmZ6Y
>>
>>3787219
Yes.
>>
>>3790934
I know, I know.
I still love them.
>>
>>3789904
God the arranged real bout version has an amazing intro. But idk its a tie between Billys and Yamazakis theme. Blue Mary's real bout theme isn't too shabby either.
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.