[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best way to play ps1 games on official hardware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: ps2.jpg (41KB, 600x563px) Image search: [Google]
ps2.jpg
41KB, 600x563px
ok so pretty simply, whats the difference using an OG fat PS1 vs using a slim or fat PS2 to play ps1 games on my CRT?

If the ps2 has the same picture quality as the ps1 it would make more sense to just get a ps2 as then you can play ps2 games as well, no?

Keep in mind I have a CRT with BNC RGB hookups so I'll be using a SCART cable to BNC to hookup to my CRT.
>>
>>3778594
The PS2 has texture smoothing and fast loading options. These are compatible with just about everything and make a real difference.
>>
Ps3 can read most of the ps1 game. Well I can only confirm for Gran Turismo 1&2, Final fantasy 2, International Superstar Soccer and Digimon World. Didn't try any other
>>
Get a Sony Vaio
>>
>>3778594
PS1 games look a little better and load a little faster on PS2s, so yeah it's better to play on a PS2. With a PS2 fat you can use Freemcboot to launch PS1 games stored on the HDD. I've never done that though, I just play them offa disc on a slim.
>>
>>3778594
whatever but keep in mind just some ps1 games dont work on the 2 but you can enhance ps1 title on ps2 a little with slower loading times etc
>>
>>3778606
PS3 emulates them tho
>>
>>3778594
>Keep in mind I have a CRT with BNC RGB hookups so I'll be using a SCART cable to BNC to hookup to my CRT.
Don't do that. Almost all SCART cables available these days are unshielded chinese crap.

Get a 100x PlayStation (or any other version in conjunction with a NeGcon breakout box) and use a PS2 component cable for RGB/audio and a composite cable for the sync.

Trust me, it's the best way to hook up RGBs.
>>
The only real downsides to playing PS1 games on a PS2 is a handful of games aren't compatible depending on what model you're using (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2) and you only get half of that sweet PS1 start up sound.
>>
>>3778594
>fat PS1
>>
>>3778636
It's got a noisy fan if you get an early revision with hardware emulation (not really emulation at all actually) and software emulation otherwise.

It's not a bad solution by any means but definitely not optimal.
>>
File: xw92S9S.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
xw92S9S.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>3778635
can you explain more please i dont know these things youre mentioning. also as far as i know my monitor doesnt have component hookups. heres the back of it for reference.
>>
>>3778659
Never heard of a PSone, eh?
>>
File: a4ucu9.jpg (13KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
a4ucu9.jpg
13KB, 500x438px
>>3778670
PlayStation doesn't output component but does use the same pins on the Multi-AV out for RGB.

As you'll need sync, the way to get it is to run a separate composite video line. This can be from the console itself, in the case of the earliest hardware revisions, DTLs or Asian VCD model (SCPH-5903). Alternatively, there are composite breakout boxes, intended for hooking up lightguns (not NeGcon, had a blonde moment), which will get this from the Multi-AV whilst allowing the main video signal to pass through. Pic related.

You will obviously need BNC-RCA adaptors to physically connect to the monitor but these are cheap and widely available.

Nice set of inputs you have btw. Barco?
>>
>>3778670
He's just trying to get you to hook up a PS1 in the most convoluted way possible, outputting RGB over a PS2 component cable and using the composite out from the original PS1's board or a guncon adapter as sync.
>>
>>3778705
okay so... sorry for being slow but I still dont understand

wouldnt hooking up the way I was planning (getting a scart cable, hooking that up to my scart to BNC adapter, and then plugging in the BNC cables to my monitor) be the same as what you're suggesting?

also I've made up my mind to use a ps2, and a friend literlaly just told me now that I should use a Mayflash component to VGA transcoder, then use a VGA to RGBHV thingy as well to finally hook it up. could you confirm this is a good idea?

I think this is the only way to get 480p on my monitor, at least, this particular one. I assume sony pvm owners have a better time then I do.

this is actually getting a little off topic now, as Im basically describing how I think I should be hooking up a ps2 or wii for 480p content, not really the best way to hook up a ps1 anymore. sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.
>>
>>3778723
I don't see how it's any more convoluted than the mess of SCART adaptors anon is going to end up with.

It's actually more elegant, and almost certainly higher quality from a signal point of view, assuming a quality component cable is used.
>>
>>3778734
>could you confirm this is a good idea?
Sounds like a shitshow, and definitely not /VR/ at this point.
>>
>>3778705
>>3778723
I mean I appreciate this approach too, like if you want to use OEM Sony cables to get RGB this is doable and uses off the shelf cables. I have a retro_console_accessories scart cable (cheapest best scart option for North America) with sync on luma, but otherwise all my psx cables are OEM.
>>
>>3778747
its vr as i want a console that can play ps1 games AND do ps2 games as well. Why would I waste space by adding more cables then I need by having two systems when I can just use one.

also your suggestion doesn't seem any more elegant then my original one. as for the setup I was suggesting, it seems to be the only way I can hook up to get 480p output, given my connection options on the back of my monitor.
>>
>>3778705
>>3778635
I'm glad there's somebody else in these threads now that understands this but prepare to give yourself a headache trying to beat it into their heads. Welcome to my hell.
>>
>>3778750
i dont think the dude even bothered to check the picture I posted as I said that I need BNC hookups as thats the only RGB inputs my monitor will take. Obviously using one cord is better but I cant.
>>
>>3778734
>>3778753
Ah yeah that's tricky if you want to get 480p and your monitor doesn't support component. Going from a PS2 component to component to VGA transcoder to VGA to RGBHV cable is a long process but it should work, I can't tell you if it would work well though. There's an official PS2 VGA cable but it's rare and expensive.
>>
>>3778759
His method would work fine, you'd need 4 RCA to BNC adapters for it but that's easy, and that'd be fine for 240p and 480i. You wouldn't be able to get 480p that way though.
>>
>>3778779
thanks for the reply.
now I do trust the guy but I don't think he's ever actually hooked up anything but a dreamcast or older to the monitor. is the dreamcast 480p?
>>
>>3778786
Yeah, Dreamcast can do 480p over VGA
>>
>>3778786
It is with a VGA adapter.
>>
>>3778785
>You wouldn't be able to get 480p that way though.

Why not? Are you sure? I'm really reluctant to go out and buy all these cables and shit if I can't even do it for sure. I mean as far as I knew, only sony pvm 'multiformats' could do 480p, it would be neat if this old Mitsubishi monitor could do 480p as well but I dunno. For the record tho, I have seen dreamcast playing just dandy on it, and played really well but I'm not sure if thats 480p or not.
>>
>>3778759
Pic related are like 15 cents each

>>3778753
You are not going to get 480p out of that monitor. You'll get 480i/240p.

Please just re-read what the other Anon said until you understand you can get RGB from a PS1 or a PS2 into your monitor with 4 of pic related and a cheap, common US OEM cable
>>
>>3778792
Okay, I'll look into grabbing those if I do get another console like a ps1 or ps2. But as for your comment on how I wont get 480p, how do you know that for a fact? I can't find any documentation on my actual monitor myself but to just flat out say it cant with no reasoning doesn't make sense to me. Can you elaborate why my monitor couldn't do 480p? Isn't the dreamcast being output in 480p? and I know the monitor can do that.
>>
>>3778806
What's the model number?
>>
>>3778594
I'm getting a Japanese PS1 with the parallel port so I can use a PSIO.
>>
>>3778812
its a mitsibushi am-3501r
only thing i could find in google was a specific post by this guy saying he had his ps2 hooked up for 480p. but I don't know if he realized he was actually playing in 480i or not. anyways I don't think the monitor really can do 480p but I'm hoping it can, and I just want a definitive answer or not if it can or cannot. i want to order a wii and a ps2 and the required cables but not if this cant even do 480p, I'd rather just stick to ps1 and older for 240p since thats what this thing seems to do best at.
>>
>>3778612
>load a little faster on PS2s
That's actually a problem, some games are hardcoded for the original load speed. Also, the PS2 emulates the graphics processor.
>>3778632
Early models have extra hardware for PS1 and 2, but I don't think it's better than the PS2 on playing PS1 games.
>>
>>3778612
>Freemcboot to launch PS1 games stored on the HDD
but using an emulator, it's not the same as launching a cd afaik
>>
File: TV-block-dia.jpg (38KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
TV-block-dia.jpg
38KB, 500x340px
>>3778815
It looks like it can accept 480p and also sync on green.

Lucky really because that's the only way to get 480p out of a PS2. Hook it up the way I told you with the light gun breakout adaptor and just select sync on green on the monitor when you want to display 480p.

Simples.
>>
>>3778815
Yeah am-3501r supports up to 800x600. That monitor can do 480p with no problem.
>>
>>3778814
I'd recommend against a Japanese model actually. They have BIOS fuckery going on which locks out other games regions.

Just get an early model US/EU console.
>>
>>3778854
EU-models are PAL dumbass. And will all this really matter if I load everything from the PSIO anyway?
>>
>>3778838
that's the only way to get 480p out of a PS2

I meant in RGB of course. Sorry, my kids are running me ragged today...
>>
>>3778865
If you're running PAL/NTSC/SECAM you're the dumbass m8.

Also I don't know how the PSIO interfaces so it may respect region coding or it may not. Regardless, Jap models are gimped.
>>
>>3778823

Not AT ALL. PopStarter is a piss-poor emulator Sony designed to run Hyper Bishi Bashi and nothing else, it's been improved and tinkered with as much as humanly possible but it's still nothing compared to the compatibility running off a chipped console. I actually modded my legit PS1 based off of the frustration Popstarter gave me, not a route I'd suggest anyone take.
>>
>>3779130
Do you know that they've basically retrofitted the newer POPS on PSP to run on PS2 by now, right?
>>
File: 1477167604701.jpg (89KB, 600x663px) Image search: [Google]
1477167604701.jpg
89KB, 600x663px
>>3779320
???
>>
>>3779130
so, let me see if I get this..

Popstarter is the native PS2 emulator to run PS1 cd games, but an iso on a hdd running through 3rd party emulators on FMCB will do a better job than than Popstarter running an original CD?
>>
>>3779335
Not quite.
Popstarter is the official PS1 emulator that was made only for playing Bishi Bashi Special. This same code was then used for the PSP. It's not built onto the console.
If you use a CD you're actually using the PS1 CPU.
So yeah, while using POPS may help you run some games PS1 that are incompatible with PS2 (Super Puzzle Fighter comes to mind), it's not as accurate as it can be.
>>
>>3779332
disregard me i suck cocks
>>
>>3779320
>>3779404

Almost shit myself when you said that, that'd be fucking sweet. Alas, we can't have nice things.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.