[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Goldbox, Wizardry or Might and Magic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: might-and-magic-world-of-xeen_1.png (36KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
might-and-magic-world-of-xeen_1.png
36KB, 640x400px
Im really interested in playing Might and magic from world of xeen, to 6 to 8 (I think 9 was the bad one I dont remember), and Wizardry from 6 to 8, since Wizardry lets you carry on your characters and apparently 8 has extra content for parties that come from the sixth game. Also the goldbox games from Pool of radiance onward.

Now, since all these games are long as fuck, wich series should I prioritize?

For the D&D games the goldox helper seems pretty useful, but Im stuck on a modern laptop and my attemps at playing Pool have been clunky at best, the game was clearly desingned for older keyboards and sometimes I find myself pressing every key trying to guess wich one will do what I want when navigating the interface, and the helper doesnt have options to change the key mapping.

Wizardry is famous for being an asshole to you, and 6 looks ugly as fuck with those gray walls everywhere, (and thats saying something since I dont mind the graphics on Pool) now 7 and 8 seem more tolerable to me, but I dont know what Im missing if I skip 6.

World of Xeen looks much better, and I really like that its two games combined in one with extra content added (I have no idea how you can manage to finish both games without having your characters dying of old age), but looks maybe a bit too basic mechanically, and the visuals in 6 aged like dogshit, maybe Im sounding too harsh but M&M as a whole still has this weird quality that appeals to me in some level.

Maybe all these games are overrated as fuck, But I would like to hear your opinions /vr/
>>
Start with M&M3. It's almost as good as World of Xeen.
>>
Go with Might&Magic out of the three. It's the easiest to get into out of the three since the ruleset is simple and clear and in my opinion, the most fun series. Start with M&M3 like the other anon said if you're going to play Might&Magic first. There should be a link to them in the HoMM general.
>>
>>3777320
>>3777372

is there any reason not to jump straight to xeen?
>>
>>3777458
Some people think 3 is better.
>>
>>3777463

guess I will try that, nobody so far has championed the other games
>>
>>3777286
>Wizardry is famous for being an asshole to you, and 6 looks ugly as fuck with those gray walls everywhere, (and thats saying something since I dont mind the graphics on Pool) now 7 and 8 seem more tolerable to me, but I dont know what Im missing if I skip 6.
You'll miss having powerful weapons in 7.
Personally I feel like despite all its flaws 6 is a far better game than 7. You can play the Super Famicom version for better visuals. sounds and interface.
I suggest Wizardry 5 (on FM Towns) as an entry point.

>I really like that its two games combined in one with extra content added (I have no idea how you can manage to finish both games without having your characters dying of old age)
I've always seen it as one game sold in two boxes. Clouds of Xeen in particular is pretty limited without the rest, akin to a shareware version.
>>
>>3777874

>You'll miss having powerful weapons in 7.

thats it? I expected something more, given what I´ve read of 8
>>
Play every single Wizardry game
>>
>>3778359
There is a one item you can get in one of the four endings in 6 that you can use in 7 or alternatively in 8. Unless you follow a guide the chances that you get that ending are fairly slim.

Your party also starts at a higher level if you use transfers but that won't make a huge difference since the first levels are quickly gained and many skills are also trained by use.
The endings also determine your starting point in 7 but the world is open anyway.
>>
>>3778363

I could be convinced of playing Wiz 1 just for the historical value (maybe the japanese remakes on SNES or PS1), but 2,3 and 5 just look like glorified expansion packs
>>
>>3778420
2 and 3 are expansion packs, not even glorified ones. You couldn't even play them without importing a party.

5 is a different matter. They added all kinds of changes to balance things out and add some life into the dungeon and quest.
D.W. Bradley who was the lead designer for 6 and 7 was also heavily involved with 5 and a many elements were first used there. 5 is a bridge between 1-3 and 6-8.
>>
>>3777458
Because Xeen continues the plot of 3
as does M&M7
>>
File: bradley.png (322KB, 457x645px) Image search: [Google]
bradley.png
322KB, 457x645px
>>3778423

this guy kinda looks like somebody´s molester uncle
>>
>>3777458
There are several plotlines in the Might and Magic universe

The Corak saga which goes:
MM1 -> MM2 -> MM3 -> MM5.
The story of Enroth which goes:
Heroes Chronicles -> HoMM1 -> HoMM2 -> HoMM3:SoD -> MM6 -> HoMM3:RoE -> MM7 -> HoMM3:AB -> MM8 -> HoMM4 -> MM9

But MM3 is connected with MM7 so you will have to play all Might and Magic games by New World Computing.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.