[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Regarding DOS soundcards...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2839.jpg (200KB, 900x725px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2839.jpg
200KB, 900x725px
Daily reminder that a adlib is THE essential sound card for any self respecting early-mid DOS gamer

Also general soundcard thread
>>
>>3776876
nah but an adlib compatible card is
>>
How do you emulate adlib in DOSBox?
>>
>>3776885
I personally prefer that distinctly genesis like sound
>>
>>3776936
You edit the config file. It's pretty easy, google it. Usually though, it's enabled by default
>>
>>3776938
All Adlib/Soundblaster clones with an actual OPL chip on it have it.

Too bad most DOS games didn't use Adlib cards that well, it's mostly Sierra games (they used it better than they used the FB-01), these Nip games that got ported from PC-9801 and some Euro ones that made a good use of it. The Dutch MSX scene produced a greater quantity of good OPL tunes (using OPL1 and OPLL chips mostly).
>>
>>3776876
>not MIDI
>>
>>3776961
>midi
>terrible fake sounding samples
I like adlib BECAUSE it has its own distinct sound, which nothing can emulate (well obviously emulators can haha)
>>
>>3776876
OPL3 was better

>>3776953
don't forget koreans
https://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/ys-ii-special-ibm-pc-at
it's just a damn shame that most composers used a cheap converter that converted data from midi to opl data
>>
>>3776979
>>midi
>>terrible fake sounding samples
MIDI is a protocol, the quality depends on what kind of synths/expander is used. All the popular FM synth used the MIDI protocol to communicate with sequencers too. Of course most cheap soundcards came with a meh soundfont, but try playing Rise of the Triad wit han SC-88 or an MU50 and you'll see that it's pretty good.
>>3776981
I don't know that much about korean gaymen from these times, only that they made some cheapish (and some not so cheapish sometimes) arcade games and had to rebrand their consoles so that they don't triggers the authorities because of the Japanese company names.
>>
>>3776876
Daily reminder that:
There are still a few oldfags left here who chuckle in disgust at baby parrots like you.
Babies can't into math. DOS came out in 81. Adlib wasn't widespread until 90 and didn't exist until a few years before
Old tech was fragmented. One device won't cover a few years, let alone 15.
Oldfags mentioned in the first point will sometimes do more than just chuckle at a babys ignorance and desire to flaunt it.
There are a lot more points.
>>
>>3776876
You could almost fully reverse engineer that board from the picture alone, order the parts for it, and build it. The heart is the TM3812, but the rest is probably just bus drivers and some basic logic. I bet that would be a fun project.
>>
>>3778171
Couldn't be bothered calculating all those resistor values.
>>
>>3776876

Always more of a fan of the Media Vision sound cards. Pro Audio Spectrum with the Sony SCSI CD-ROM was great.
>>
>>3778171
OP could almost manage a reverse image search

>>3778179
>calculating resistor values
Do you also have to calculate between binary, decimal and hex for small values?
>yes. i even have to calculate the difference between npn and npn
That splains it
>>
>>3778179
Why would you calculate when the rings on them already indicate their value?
>>3778171
>You could almost fully reverse engineer that board from the picture alone
That's what many clone manufacturers did, they just took a peek at the card and shat out clone cards.
>>
>>3776876
Wrong. MS-DOS days you can literally just install anything, set game settings to Soundblaster 16 and it works everytime.

Soundblaster16 or 32 or gtfo desu senpai
>>
>>3778450
He doesn't speak resistor band. He has to look up what each color and position means. Then he has to get out a calculator to add it all up because he's an underage who can't do math in his head.
>>
>>3779020
literally what the fuck is your problem
>>
>>3779026
My problem is I can actually remember things and add numbers in my head. It's a total cock block for picking up early 20's lesbian studies students who haven't showered in weeks or shaved ever. Can you give me some pointers on how to improve myself?
>>
>>3778914
you know sb16 is adlib compatible right? they both can use fm synth.
>>
>>3779740
believe it or not, some people's strong point isn't mathematics

but fuck you, guys like you are the reason i hate them
>>
>>3779740
>being a filthy meat calculator
you need to kill yourself
>>
ymf-719 or gtfo
>>
>>3779875
>>3779893
All that rage over your own ignorance.
The good news is this is a generational anomaly. Post millennials can do simple arithmetic in their heads.
The bad news is this means they'll be better able to do many jobs than you. A 10 year old will be able to handle a McRegister better than you.
The good/bad news, depending on who you are, is Trump will create a recycling program and you'll all be turned into fossil fuel so the rest of us won't have to pay to feed oxygen thieves.
>>
>>3779932
This.
Yamaha Audician 32 Plus. Get one.
>>
File: sb_large.jpg (146KB, 1024x885px) Image search: [Google]
sb_large.jpg
146KB, 1024x885px
>>3778171
Someone actually did do that.
>>
>>3779942
is this pci
>>
>>3779942
That has to be the most russian sound card I've ever seen.
>>
>>3779942
I bet it sounds real tinny.
>>
>>3779943
found the underage

it's isa
>>
>>3779962
>found the underage
So you clicked on literally any thread in the catalog.
>>
>>3776979
As the previous guy said, MIDI is a protocol for transmitting data. Here's the AdLib vs Roland sound module (MIDI controlled). There's no contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEn7XNDKwlw
>>
Yamaha XG is the greatest sound card of all time.

Gives amazing General MIDI in Windows, plenty of PCM channels (Sound Blaster compatible) and has a real OPL3 on it for DOS.
>>
>>3779962
then is a PCI/PCI-E clone possible?
>>
>>3781659
>pci
possibly, but you would need to essentially reverse engeneer the driver for it
>pci-e
still possible, but why the hell would you use mid 1980's hardware on anything modern? again with absolutely no driver support?
>>
>>3781806
so you don't have to emulate the YM3812
>>
There's a serious lack of music being posted for a thread like this.
>>
>>3781969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26EjF9HdwtQ
>>
>>3779740
I've got my masters in EE, I make very good money working for a large company involved in Aerospace.

No one gives two fucks if you can remember shit in your head. I resort to a calculator for almost all calculations I do. I have a small sheet near my desk that reminds me what band colors mean what on resistors.

The difference between people like me, and people like you is that I don't come off as a pompous asshole because I have better memory than them. This is why I make 150k a year in my late 20s and you probably live with your parents.
>>
>>3781969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEhbdVYSVMQ
>>
File: Capture.png (8KB, 536x269px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8KB, 536x269px
>not emulating a proper midi card
>>
File: scc1.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
scc1.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>3782367
>/vr/
>emulating

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3782325
>i git payd150k fir not rememberun thangs in muh hed
Sure you do sport. The difference between me and you is I know how to use my brain and make a lot more than you pretend to.
If you can't memorize the resistor band chart in a few seconds you're a fool.
If you somehow forget and can't derive it in a few seconds you're a fool.
If you pretend you have a BS MS in EE and pretend you have a sheet to remind you what it's all about your a fool and a tool.
At least the anon you're white knighting is just a fool.
>>
>>3782605
Are you by any chance autistic?
>>
>>3782367
Can you upload this somewhere!! REEEEE
>>
File: 1423069349441.jpg (64KB, 927x676px) Image search: [Google]
1423069349441.jpg
64KB, 927x676px
>>3782750

https://mega.nz/#!CBplQLzI!UaW1kcXVwOJVyddEVGWzxeU2qZA5SJiKHQFsjHSv1B0
>>
>>3782773
>https://mega.nz/#!CBplQLzI!UaW1kcXVwOJVyddEVGWzxeU2qZA5SJiKHQFsjHSv1B0

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
>>
>>3781969
https://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/giten-megami-tensei-tokyo-mokushiroku-ibm-pc-at
>>
>>3781659
There are pci to pcie x1 adapters on amazon. Startech makes one with good reviews for $35 or so. It is made for low profile but ppl use full height and mod their cases. Someone sez it worked with soundcards etc no problemos.
>>
>>3782662
Being able to add numbers in your head doesn't make you rain man, you useless fuck
>>
>>3783767
doesn't make you anything special either though
>>
>>3783769
Apparently it does. How much do you make? Guessing you're paid by the hour.
>>
>>3784189
why are you trying so hard to show off on an anonymous imageboard
>>
>>3776876
My first upgrade as a kid was an adlib clone called a PC Symphony. Couldn't afford a SB at the time.
>>
>>3776876

>gravis utlrasound >

Soundblaster >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdg28fnGPAk&list=PL30C4FC2F42B84DD6&index=3

thread theme.
>>
>>3784314
No MT32 in this thread? What the fuck mate?

MT32 is blowing my mind, just in emulation.
If I got nothing, I'll take adlib, but MT32 is often incredible when available.

GUS is amazing but I can't think of many games where it was used well. It seemed like it was a mod/demo scene/music thing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEEzj-UT5Q
>>
>>3784189
You are not special. You are just an autist whos got a Napoleon complex. I have seen many of your kind. It never ends well.
>>
>>3784191
>adding numbers in your head is showing off
Wana get blown away kid? I can also tie my own shoes!

>>3785294
>adding numbers in your head is a Napoleon complex
Pretty sure he could add numbers in his head. It was a common skill even uneducated people had up until your degeneration.
>I have seen
You've seen 12 years of your acorn dick fucktard.
>>
>>3785668
imagine being such a joke that you have to brag about being able to add numbers on an anonymous imageboard
>>
>>3785775
>imagine being such a joke that you can't add numbers
And you wonder why you McD rejected you
>>
>>3786591
literally no u: the post
>>
why is the MT-32 so fucking good
https://youtu.be/P9oS_kDIh74?t=75
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.