[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rhydon & Golem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: rhydon-golem.jpg (58KB, 294x186px) Image search: [Google]
rhydon-golem.jpg
58KB, 294x186px
These two dominated retro Pokemon.

Which one was better?
>>
Rhydon, as he was the first Pokémon ever and has many clones.
>>
Articuno
>>
Bubble.
>>
Rhydon is the retro-ist of retro pokemon, so Rhydon.
>>
Golem was a bit better competitively, thanks to learning Explosion.
>>
Golem because he learns earthquake
>>
Golem has a better design IMO
>>
I never used them, since any water-type with surf could one-shot them I always thought they were weak.
>>
File: JUST.png (32KB, 476x369px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
32KB, 476x369px
>Rhydon/Rhyhorn's Gen 1 level-up moves

JUST
>>
Rhydon will always be one of my favorites, I use him on my definitive team for the Kanto games

Golem was dank in Sun and moon tho
>>
>>3776796
Both are kinda shitty, ground/rock is a terrible typing. Golem is good only for explosion which is stupid as fuck strong in gen 1. Rydon actually can learn some good moves through tms.

Playing red right now, or a hack that rebalances everything and adds more diversity to the wild pokemon. Its aged but still fun.
>>
>>3776796
Nidoking was beter than both
>>
Rhydon is stronger and bulkier than Golem, but slower and doesn't have access to Explosion.

Golem beats Rhydon in a 1v1
>>
>>3776796
I love Golem.
He's my all time favorite Pokemon.
>>
>>3777412
i like the fact explosion is ultra strong atleast you sacrifice your pokemon.
>>
>>3777394
Yeah, its kinda sad how pathetic levelup movesets were in the game. Even worse was how most TMs were one-time items.
>>
>Blastoise used Surf
>>
File: 1256449802694.jpg (270KB, 793x800px) Image search: [Google]
1256449802694.jpg
270KB, 793x800px
>forgetting about the God of Gen 1
Pathetic.
>>
>>3777424
This. He also got better with Gen 2 rules.
>>
Rhydon is one of the best. Although it is a shame they gave it such an ugly evolution.
>>
>>3778151

A good looking evolution would have been a bonus
But an ugly evolution just means we can keep our cool rhynosaurus and slap some eviolite on him.
>>
>>3778162
Slapping eviolite on everything is no solution unless you're below the 1300 ladder.

>>3778002
Until Gen 5, so the only good way to use multiple items were in Gen 1 and 3 by using the cloning glitch.
>>
I always wondered why the felt the need to have both rock type and ground type in the same game.
>>
>>3778103

Funny how the Psychic types were mostly OPs in Gen 1 since the only type that had super-effective moves against them were the Bugs and most of those moves were rather shity.
>>
>>3777412
what hack? I'm looking to go through a rebalanced red
>>
File: Golem_de_Alola.png (163KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
Golem_de_Alola.png
163KB, 425x425px
Golem is bettre
>>
>>3780550
And Ghost but there were only what, 3 ghost types in the whole game?
>>
>>3778002

I do wonder why they felt the need to have it learn both tail whip and leer. Or, perhaps even more strangely, why no ground or rock type moves? I wonder if this wasn't a leftover, accidentally unupdated (or they ran out of time to update it) moveset from an earlier version of the game where Rhydon had normal typing (with possibly no rocky-looking preevolution) and leer and/or tail whip had different uses than the final's shared lowering of defense.
>>
>>3776809
literally
>>
>>3780842
gastly haunter gengar which were part poison. useless against psychic
>>
>>3780842

There were only 3 ghost-type moves in gen 1 too.

Confuse ray, which does no direct damage
Lick, a physical attack with less base power than Tackle
Night Shade, a move that does set damage and doesn't benefit from type advantage
>>
File: 150Mewtwoold[1].png (100KB, 322x407px) Image search: [Google]
150Mewtwoold[1].png
100KB, 322x407px
>>3778103

You mean demi-god
>>
>>3778168
>>Until Gen 5, so the only good way to use multiple items were in Gen 1 and 3 by using the cloning glitch
Or just edit your save and give 99xTM.
>>
>>3780575
Called pokemon red: proud eyes
>all in battle sprites, front and back, use GSC art
>areas now offer different and more varied pokemon
>trainers and gym leaders rebalanced
>shops now sell more useful items
Very high quality hack, definitely reccomend it.
>>
>>3780950
And Lick was bugged so it didn't affect Psychic types. The only thing that even comes close to countering Psychic-types is a Jolteon with Pin Missile.
>>
>>3778002
Levleup movesets were shit until gen 4.
>>
>>3781159
>>all in battle sprites, front and back, use GSC art

Fucking dropped, art direction beyond gen 1 is worthless
>>
>>3776801
Explain please, this is the kind of useless knowledge I like to remember.
>>
>>3777412

Ground/rock is useful as fuck though in red/blue because team rocket always uses poison/normal/flying pokemans. Fucking magnitude and rock throw your way through almost everything. Not even grass or other rock/ground types are safe. Good luck capturing zapdos without graveler.

Geodude/graveler makes my playthrough so much easier
>>
>>3782552

Also grass/poison is a surprisingly good combo

Mostly because of caves and water routes. Resistance to fighting and electric helps and these pokemans are bulky as fuck. Pretty sure they can withstand a fire attack or at least induce sleep.
>>
>>3782551
Rhydon was the first Pokemon to be designed.
>>
File: tfw worst pokemon.jpg (30KB, 390x347px) Image search: [Google]
tfw worst pokemon.jpg
30KB, 390x347px
>>3776796
Nidoking was better.

But the real question is why was Onix so fucking terrible. A 40 foot long multi-ton snake made of solid rock had a lower base attack stat than fucking Rattata. It had a lower base attack stat than fucking Oddish. It literally had a lower base attack stat than Kakuna, who is literally just a cocoon with eyes that can't even attack. I think it's defense stat is lower, too.

Onix is literally Magikarp-tier. Why?
>>
File: 1455131884314.png (79KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1455131884314.png
79KB, 200x200px
They're both pretty shit now that we know that Body Slam can't paralyze Normal types.

Bow down to your Gen 1 overlord.
>>
>>3782572
>Nidoking was better

Not competitively. By a long shot. King is great in-game though. Especially early on.
>>
>>3782572
Brock (so, Onix) was the first boss. If it had the stats of a regular fully-evolved Pokemon so early on, it would have been impossible to beat him if you chose Charmander. Imagine a level 11 or whatever Pokemon with base 95 attack.
>>
>>3782807
>They're both pretty shit now that we know that Body Slam can't paralyze Normal types.
Seriously?
>>
>>3782807
>now that we know that Body Slam can't paralyze Normal types.
You guys just now figured that out? haha oh wow
>>
Golem takes this easily in a typical playthrough

- Obtainable very early and consistently useful throughout the entire game, especially earlygame where 85% of everything uses normal attacks
- Explosion which absolutely assblasts any non-ghost
- Evolves to graveler at a reasonable level, then evolve to golem whenever the fuck you want after that (you needed friends though ;_; that or your brother's GB+cart)
- Learns Earthquake naturally

Whereas Rhydon:

- Obtainable only in some fuckoff cave or Victory Road
- Finally evolves at like level 47 when you're almost done with the game anyway
- Slow leveling curve and takes like 1.5x more xp to level
- Learns absolute trash naturally and requires your hard-earned TMs
- All of this offset by a slightly better stat spread

Choosing Rhydon is heavily inconveniencing yourself for negligible gain.
>>
>>3782887
Well it's not something you think about.
>>
>>3781159
thanks anon!
>>
>>3776796
>These two dominated retro Pokemon.

What are you talking about? Water destroys them and there are tons of powerful water pokemon in gen 1. No split between SAtt and Sdef means they have shit defense against it was well.

Alakazam dominated gen 1 without question.
>>
>>3782878
In that case you could've just grinded or caught something else. Teaching the necessity of one or both of those things early in the game, along with the idea that certain types are just plain not useful against certain other types, would've been a good thing.
>>
>>3782878
Yeah if you ignore the whole point of the game and try to beat it with just your starter pokemon.
>>
>>3783110
To this day, I say that psychic should've had a poison weakness.
>>
>>3783110
Ice destroys Garchomp. Fire destroys Scizor. Electric destroys Gyarados. Fighting destroys Tyranitar. Must be bad right???

Golem and Rhydon are hard counters to Zapdos, who in turn checks water and grass types.

The Special stat not being divided is irrelevant for Golem and Rhydon since they aren't using special attacks ever.

Tauros and Chansey dominated Gen 1.
>>
>>3783148
>The Special stat not being divided is irrelevant for Golem and Rhydon since they aren't using special attacks ever.

You miss the point, it's in fact very important. Since their low special means they also have low special defense. Alakazam can OHKO either of them with Psychic and it's way faster.

I put over 1000 hours into Gen 1 back in the day and I love Tauros but it far far far from dominated anything. Chansey is decent though.
>>
>>3783143
I agree with that completely.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.