[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LOCK ON AND UNLOAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: the_sheeeee.jpg (28KB, 390x382px) Image search: [Google]
the_sheeeee.jpg
28KB, 390x382px
No Syphon Filter thread?
Replaying this on PS1. Fucking love it.
Been seeking out a lot of rompy action games lately, and this is giving me my fix.
Talk about SF, and games that play a little similar. Was I the only one that couldn't figure out to use the flashlight in the first level? Man I was a dumb kid.

I've also been playing C-12 Resistance lately. It's a bit slower paced and not as flashy, but I think it gets worse criticism than it deserves.

Thinly veiled lock on targeting with guns thread. It's a mechanic that I actually really miss. It's a little dash of run-n-gun that really makes a game fun. So let's talk about those games, too.
>>
So the copy that I'm playing right now has damage on the part of the disc that apparently stores all the voice-over work.
So anytime I make contact during a level, a string of gibberish comes out. It's pretty fucking funny.
>>
>>3775830
>Anton Girdeux, I hope Roemer's paying you enough to die for him!

>Gabriel Logan, are we the optimist?

>Look around Logan, this hall contains the mosaic, depicting the entire history of your country's wars and aggressions. We are about to make an addition to it.

>I don't think so, Girdeux, it ends here.
>>
Fighting the last boss in sf2 becomes easier the more you play it. Just roll under the copter and he'll cut himself
>>
>>3776191
lol i love shit like that
>>
>>3775830
I just bought a copy of this at my local cash converters for $40 (I'm Australian so even retro games are overpriced as fuck) I hope it's good.
>>
>>3776538
It's awesome. Best in the series, easily.

I remember when it first came out, then 2 and 3, people complained they were burnt out on Syphon Filter. HAHA if they only knew.

The ones on PS2 are pretty good but they are all dualstick TPS. It just doesn't feel the same.
>>
i liked that game but so gay when it runned haha
>>
File: 20170203_211604.jpg (164KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20170203_211604.jpg
164KB, 640x480px
>>3776538
Shit man that's rough, I just picked up the 2nd today, I got 2 controllers too and some little Mario toys for 6 bucks all together at my local thrift store.
>>
>>3775908
You should record that shit.
>>
>>3777814
lol I might. It'd be a shitty phone recording though. And I'm not really familiar with making webm's
>>
>>3775830

> C-12 Final Resistance
> Made by SCEE so all of the voice actors are Europeans
> Get to the part where you make your way down a long street with a couple of soldiers giving you support
> They're yelling out battlecries and insults to the aliens in their ridiculous accents

I was laughing so hard I had to put the controller down, it was like something out of a Monty Python skit
>>
>>3778052
Oh God yeah the VA is terrible, but that's pretty standard for the time.
Who the hell voices Vaughan? He sounds like Daniel Craig.

It's a pretty decent game. It's a shame the camera works fuck-all backwards, and I wish the camera was zoomed out just a hair, but whatever. I have fun with it. It's a great attempt at a contiguous-world game, as well, especially for such an early title.
>>
>>3778071
I don't understand why it gets a bad rep. The aesthetic looks great and the gameplay isn't nearly as bad as some other games.
>>
>>
>>3778832
...what?
>>
>>3776191
My favourite is the last boss in SF3, which you kill using a Steyr AUG that is apparently an experimental, top-secret weapon in-universe. You just jump onto a train car and shoot her from above. In addition, the walls and bulletproof glass are placed in such a way, that 90% of the time you'll hit her in the head, yet the CG cutscene shows her shot in the chest. I guess that exploding heads don't make for good cutscenes.
>>
>>3778052
Lmao @ those huge boots, reminds me of Barret from FFVII.
>>
Anybody played Cold Fear?
>>
>>3775830
is okay but 2 and 3 make it look like some kind of expansion.

I remember the fun i had with my friends and cousins going into vs mode and having knife duels, fun as fuck.

>>3779116
Just the first level.

Its okay but it doesnt play like RE 4 besides the aiming been with a red dot.
>>
>>3775830
I love the SF game that has the challenge missions. 4 player split-screen would have been awesome in the release with split-screen in it since some maps felt too big and even with screen looking we had a hard time finding each other.
>>
OP here. Back at it. I did get some footage of the jibber jabber but I don't know how to convert it to webm. Just haven't looked that up yet, but will deliver.

Meanwhile... Goddamnit I keep falling off the T-Rex.
>>
>>3779747
Dude if you type MP4 to Webm into Google you should find the site that does it for free
>>
>>3779880
>just haven't looked that up yet
Can't Bluetooth the mp4 from my phone to computer right now anyway. Fuck mailing it. But thanks.
>>
>>3779350
3 was bad tho
>>
>>3776890
Omega strain was pretty cool.
>>
>>3779350
Doesn't have to play like RE4. It looks interesting
What are the controller set ups like? The older I get the more concerned I get with button layouts— most games today have shit layouts, I think because they all try to accomplish way too much, and the devs don't care. But that's another story.
>>
>>3775830
Syphon Filter 2 was the best in the series, just saying. The voice acting was much less wooden, there was a great variety in missions - both in location and pacing department - and the plot is actually pretty good and makes sense.

SF3 had plenty of those elements too, but I always felt that the levels were just slapped together. There's still plenty of memorable moments in that one too though. The Afghanistan and snowy mountains level come to mind are some that come to mind.
>>
File: 11964-9409-7318.png (396KB, 830x720px) Image search: [Google]
11964-9409-7318.png
396KB, 830x720px
Did someone say Syphon Filter?

https://mega.co.nz/#F!j1Q3GZSJ!zFUq3DyKUjo8uHSen7AcVQ

The entire music collection for Syphon Filter.
>>
>>3782495
SF1 and 2 are both great, but 2 is more constricted and scripted with more "there's only one right way to get past this part" than 1. Yes, 1 has its share of that especially in the stealth parts, but most levels left you free to run around and blast guys or be sneaky as you desired. 2 definitely has more variety but that variety was delivered in a more rigid setpiece fashion.
>>
Post best SF music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjCu-ATjuOI
>>
>>3782897
That's part of the fun. Figuring out what your SUPPOSED to do. Like taking those two guys out with the smoke grenades in the compound before the missile silo. But first you gotta find the grenades.
Or, in the dinosaur exhibit, figuring out that you have to shoot Aramov in the hand to prevent her from killing Phagan.

It's almost like games used to be GAMES. With rules and specific requirements. I'm all for non linearity but shit have we become so spoiled and complacent as to expect we can do fuck all whatever and still WIN?
>>
I don't know why the air taser had infinite ammo, but holy shit did I love setting pretty much every enemy on fire with electricity.

I was a little sociopath.
>>
>>3784190
You could even get the guys in flak jackets, but you had to aim at their heads. lol
>>
>>3783979
The stuff I'm talking about isn't an interesting puzzle to figure out, it's just following the script of the game. Lian's escape from the hospital is a really boring stealth level because you're essentially following the breadcrumbs the game lays out for you and it feels super contrived. It's not about having freedom to play any way you way, it's about not having the game string you along with little meaningful input on your part. You know, the same stuff people complain about in modern railroaded cinematic games.

SF2 was still a good game so I'm exaggerating the complaint here, but it has more of those elements than 1. I certainly find 1 more fun to replay, so you could take the criticism that way instead. It wasn't meant as a big diss against 2.
>>
>>3784370
That's fair. But in response, regardless of following breadcrumbs, I still think having to figure out the best way to be stealthy is part of the "puzzle" and I find it quite rewarding.

The railroading we are against is obviously
>take 3 steps down the corridor
>cutscene tells you to blow the three red tanks that surround the blue tank, with a grenade launcher
>you lob a grenade at the blue tank because you know all that shit explodes, and because fuck it
>nothing explodes, the level automatically resets
>insert new script in the cutscene
>no no, says the Sarge, you have to shoot each one individually with a grenade launcher. now get it right this time rookie.
>...but wait how did he know that this already happened before?

>Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
>>
Only thing I remember about Syphon Filter is having it on a demo disc, and there's a tazer that you can hold on someone until they set on fire. That's literally it.

Is it worth putting on my GPD XD and trying out, or does it really not hold up if you didn't play it first time round?
>>
SF really set boys and men apart. The controls are reasonably responsive and are better than what was common then. Still, some people absolutely can't grasp them, but I think that's because those people can't play anything that immediately plays like a modern video game.
>>
>>3784826
* that doesn't immediately plays like a modern video game.
>>
>>3784772
definitely still holds up. the controls are a *bit* rudimentary, but they absolutely work well, and you can change them to pretty much whatever suits you. Worst thing is that SELECT changes weapons and can't be changed, but you can always go into the menu rather than tapping that, or quick select with SELECT and STRAFE buttons.
>>
>>3782897
See, I actually think that Syphon Filter 1 was the most linear in the series, while Syphon Filter 3 was the least linear. The levels in those games are generally pretty simple, though I can think of some exceptions:

>in the very first level of SF1 you can do the objectives in almost any order
>that level in SF3 where you play as Lian Xing in Afghanistan is phenomenal - not only you can do the objectives in any order you want, but you can also do at least half of the mission without alarming any enemies
>in the first level in hotel in SF3 you can save the Chinese guy who's getting a beating across the street; later on he'll meet you and give you the most OP and ridiculous gun in the game
>in SF3, when you play as Teresa Lipan in militia compound, make sure that no militias die; some of their comrades will help you fight later on

I can see how SF2 has the least number of options per mission, but I still find it fantastic - tense Rocky Mountains, sneaking and fighting through tunnels with Chance, sneaking as Lian Xing, that speeding fucking train, crashed plane, sneaking into exhibition, a quick trip to Russian disco and gulag...

And it actually makes sense to jump through all of those settings. It's a simple formula - sneaky level, shooty level and the occasional shooty level that you can partially sneak through - but it's a solid formula in my opinion.
>>
>>3775830
oh my god op, i forgot what game this was; i just looked up a video and i remember beating it when i was a kid at my friends house
>>
>>3784772
I think it holds up pretty well, though the first one controls just a tiny bit worse than SF2 and SF3. I don't know if it's how the characters or the camera handles itself, but I'm know that aiming manually with grenades is much worse - in later games it shows you the throwing arc, so there's less chance that you'll frag yourself when throwing grenades from behind cover.

Otherwise you're good. You might instinctively try to move the camera with analog stick (at least I did), but you'll get used to the controls quickly.
>>
>>3785460
It's not so much about linearity, it's about the pre-scriptedness. SF1 just kinda puts guards in your way, and it's like "okay, 2 guards in this next section, take them both out and move on." SF2 has more moments where it's like "wait for guard 1 to walk up to guard 2, move around the corner while they're having the scripted conversation, wait for guard 1 to walk to the particular spot so you can shoot the chandelier and take them both out at once." It's not a bad thing, there are many cool moments in SF2, but I enjoy SF1 for being a little looser and simpler.

I would also say that Rhoemer's Base in SF1 is a great stealth level. It's a circular layout so you have some freedom in tackling objectives, and if you set off the alarm it's not game over--it just changes the level to be an all-out guns blazing action level instead. You can alert the guards right away and run n' gun through the whole map if you want.

Unrelated but I would also like to add how Syphon Filter blew my mind as a kid with how certain mini-bosses could be taken out in a single headshot. I was like "whoaaaa so REALISTIC".
>>
I know they aren't retro, but how are Omega Strain, Dark Mirror, and Logan's Shadow?
>>
>>3785519
The latter two were quite good, even still got the taser.
>>
>>3785519
I've heard LS is the "best" because its pretty much the same game as DM, only a bit more fleshed out. But that's all I know

>not retro
It's been more than a decade since. I'm so tired of this shit. Good luck talking about PS2 ANYWHERE
>>
>>3785519
>>3785606

Also they go all out modern TPS, no lock on, dual stick, etc
>>
>>3785519
I liked the last two a lot.
did gabe really die?
>>
>>3786251
No, but he might as well be because bend studio doesn't want to make any more Syphon Filter games.

Whatever happened to the comic tie in for Logan's Shadow?
>>
>>3786268
It got cancelled.
>>
>>3785518
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Rhoemer's Base level. I really like levels like that.

Talking about instant headshots, I recall that that if you kill Archer with a headshot (and it probably has to be a sniper rifle? I don't remember) then you get a mini-achievement of sort and unlock additional character for multiplayer.

There are many of those little unlocks scattered through SF2 and SF3. Really blew my mind back in the day.
>>
>>3782628
Some of these are busted. Every other MEGA link I have bookmarked for something else on MEGA is fine, but for some reason these ones are giving me errors. At least the one for Syphon Filter 1 is.
>>
Ah Syphon Filter
That takes me back
>>
>>3776089
>Gabriel Logan, always the optimist

ftfy
>>
File: ias.jpg (68KB, 625x431px) Image search: [Google]
ias.jpg
68KB, 625x431px
apparently SF1 works with popstarter, fucking great

I never played 1 despite going through SF2 and SF3 4 or 5 times throughout the years. What am I in for? Mission variety compared to sf2?
>>
>>3789404
pretty standard missions. you can run and gun through the first half of the game. Once you get about halfway through, then you really have to be stealthy. I mean, you CAN run and gun, but good luck with infinite spawn. lol
>>
>>3789523
yeah mission 1 has stupid infinite spawn, its almost ruining it for me desu. 2 and 3 didn't have that
>>
>>3789527
the street?
I never had that problem. I ran around a lot because I forgot about the flashlight and I never encountered extra enemies except at the very start of the level where a few would climb over the wall every now and then.

I'm talking there's a compound where if you trigger the alarm, 8 guys at a time will come out to get you, indefinitely. There's no way to outrun or really outgun them. Also there's no way to turn the alarm off. Not that I know of.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.