[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should i go for this retro gaming rig?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: retrogamingpc.jpg (216KB, 1557x648px) Image search: [Google]
retrogamingpc.jpg
216KB, 1557x648px
should i go for this retro gaming rig?
>>
Holy fucking shit no. Take it from a guy who owned not one but two of them - Compaq Presaros were always garbage.
>>
>>3775739
>399 usd
>>
>>3775739
Who the fuck is expecting you to buy that for $400? Even if it was never opened in box I wouldn't go for it. Shitty PC clones will never get more valuable with age. Only pre-clone era PCs will.
>>
Holy shit, that was my exact first windows PC. I still remember the "Presario Plaza" program it automatically booted into that replaced the Windows desktop with a graphical mall and you'd click on shops to open programs. I guess they figured Windows was too hardcore for normies back then.
>>
>>3775812
For your parents and grandparents, who were the primary targets for cheap clones, it was.
>>
>>3775739
You know these 250 euro laptops with the shittiest intel graphics possible, a disk barely big enough for the OS and low RAM? Well, this is a retro gaming rig in the same way that laptop is a modern gaming rig.
>>
I NEED THIS TO VALIDATE MY EXISTANCE TO COMPLETE STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET
>>
>>3775739
90s PC clones are actually getting pretty rare since they're getting destroyed in the millions by e-cycling operations. Expect this to become the norm in no more than a decade.
>>
>>3775880
How much do you want to bet that these e-cycling programs are sponsored by international jewry to eradicate all earlier hardware which lack the on-die integrated botnet that all new machines have?
>>
>>3775739
DOOOWEET!
>>
File: g4.jpg (333KB, 660x2194px) Image search: [Google]
g4.jpg
333KB, 660x2194px
>>3775937
That's just paranoid. The shabbus goyim simply chase to bulldoze old tech because, to them, people who "caught the train" abnormally early have an unfair head start. They also catch wind of the fact that people today are too vapid to take interest in older technology that required more patience, they are offended by the thought of trendy dudes getting bogged down in technology that confuses and fails to gratify them.
>>
>>3776285
Seems like recycling old computers is a way for numales to virtue signal about muh environment.
Are you also saying that normies trashbin old computers because their failure to set them up and enjoy them reminds them of their lower IQ compared to previous generations of computer users?

The botnet is real though.
Windows 10 is the last OS MS will make.
They have moved from selling boxes in stores to a free app with microtransactions and datamining profit model.
All computers sold in stores which are not Apple have a special UEFI chip that locks it to Windows 10, you cannot install any other OS.
Normies (reddit for example) are oblivious or see nothing wrong with this. They nag you to upgrade if you've got 7 and insult you if you've got Vista.
>>
File: utonium-wat.png (22KB, 154x154px) Image search: [Google]
utonium-wat.png
22KB, 154x154px
>>3775739
Shit old PC: under 50 bucks or even free

"Retro gaming machine!!!": $399.95
>>
>>3775812
>the "Presario Plaza" program it automatically booted into that replaced the Windows desktop with a graphical mall and you'd click on shops to open programs

Sounds very vaporwave
>>
>>3775739
that is way too expensive even by 486 standards.
>>
>>3775739
lol, I hope enjoy playing Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit.
>>
>>3777081
>UEFI stupidpasta
Top kek kid
>>
I would get it for $10, its too slow for games like doom but ok for games before 1993
>>
>>3775752
Can you tell us more about their failings?
Did they have 3rd party bloatware preintalled?
Did they have ticking time bomb PSUs that killed your mobo after a couple years?
Did the floppy drive wear out after a couple hundred uses?

What prebuilt brands of PC were of acceptable quality in the 90s?

How did the PPC Macs of the 90s compare to DOS and Win9X in terms of build quality, software support, and user experience?
>>
>>3777549
No idea what that anons problems were but I used to repair them for Compaq and can say they were pretty reliable. The only real issue is all the non-standard shit. You couldn't even put in a hard drive without Compaq custom rails. Of course that was by design to sell overpriced parts.
>>
>>3779012
If I buy a used Compaq and want to install a larger hard drive can I just shove it in there and fill the gaps with silly putty?
>>
Looks like a pretty damn good deal to me.
Those things are pretty freaking hard to come by this time and age, I would totally buy that if I were you.
>>
>>3779106
I used cardboard when we were out of parts. Putty could be better but you'd probably want something that hardens.
>>
>>3779731
Ok, playdough it is then.
>>
>>3779803
There's other types of putty that harden, have less shrinkage and aren't so brittle. But I don't think your parents will let you play with those until you're old enough to know you shouldn't put the shit in your mouth.
>>
>>3775739
>Compaq
Not even as a joke
>>
>>3775739
>Professionally rebuilt by 25-year experienced tech!
Retro cringe 101.
Just because this fag can install an IDE CD-ROM and load HIMEM.SYS he's suddenly a tech?
Even if this came with a CRT and MT-32 it's too expensive.
>>
>>3775739
>$400 dollarydoos
Kill me.
>>
>>3775739
Op if you're really interested in it you can build a rig for less than 100 AUD(yes I'm an Ozfag), regardless building one is the only way to have a cheap, working and all round positive experience with a 486 these days.
>>
>400 bux
I'd pay 1/10 of that IF it were clean and smelled like 90s PC
>>
>>3780395
How much for a Pentium with Voodoo graphics and an MT-32?
Serious question, I'm in Brisbane.
>>
>>3780416
In the rest of the world you can find that shit in a dumpster if your patient. Or >US$9k on ebay. In abostralia you'd have to milk koala tears for over 9000 years for Mr Burns just to buy the power adapter to the thing in.

Seriously, I pity the fools who live in your neck of the woods and like things that run on electricity.
>>
https://pc.bazos.sk/inzerat/69262596/9xENTRY-RetroPC.php

Is this a good price for a K6-II 400 Mhz/3dfx Voodoo Banshee full of games?
>>
>>3781294
90 euros so like $100 us? Yeah that's pretty good and it's not likely to get any cheaper like ever.
>>
>>3781294

It's got a shit video card
shit processor
shit sound card

just don't.
>>
>>3780124
I had a PSX during the late 90s.

Tell me what made Compaq so shit.
>>
>>3775739
Or you could buy a Raspberry Pi Zero for five bucks and run a DOS emulator on it?

Plus you can use the Pi's IO to run games off floppy for the proper retro feel.
>>
>>3781426
>>3781576
>on this evening's episode of youngfags think they know what they're talking about
>>
>>3781624

K6-III+ > K6-III >>>>>>>> K6-II
Voodoo 3 > Voodoo 2 >Voodoo Banshee
AWE64 Gold > Sound Blaster 16 >>>>>> Vibra16

Get shit on nerd, that computer is garbage
>>
>>3781654
Eh and you think all those things are easy to get, especially here, huh?
>>
>>3781680

It's your money, if you want to spend it on garbage you don't have to ask for permission
>>
>>3780618
Why is everything so expensive in Abostrailia?
Are Strayans tech illiterate normies who read some jewspaper article about `retro` hardware auctioning for thousands of dollars?
Did bogans smash all the old electronics with bats?
>>
>>3781758
Because it will be so easy to buy a K6/III in a country win which such a PC costed 3 monthly wages in 1998 right? Full of games too.
>>
>>3781758
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvoodoo+banshee.TRS0&_nkw=voodoo+banshee&_sacat=0

Apparently, on amazon you get only the Banshee for half the price of that entire CPU. 90 euro too much? For a whole retro PC with games, with 3dfx in a country where most people were still on 386DX until 2000? You have no fucking idea do you? There are maybe a dozen people in this country who have your fabulous "non garbage" setup.
>>
>>3781765
Because it's a 3rd world country. With import duties and hoops to jump through and shit to match. I have to take shit out of the box and ship the hardware and manual separately to avoid an >9k% tax.
The bogans didn't discover the bat until 1960 when a drunk abo (redundant, I know) threw a broken comebackstick and it didn't hit him in the back on the head. It was a real 2001 like moment and heralded in a wave of new discoveries such as indoor plumbing and the recently discovered colour television.
I shit you not. Old folk call their CRT a "colour television" And that's 90% of the population. Because despite occupying every toilet in every bar in the country for the last few decades the turd burglars have failed to to produce a single offspring aside from stillborn abos.

Does that explain it? I can go on. For fucking days. About this taint of a country.
>>
>>3781654
>Voodoo 3
Not retro - will flat out refuse to run many Voodoo 1 games.
>>
File: v3_3dfx.png (41KB, 746x687px) Image search: [Google]
v3_3dfx.png
41KB, 746x687px
>>3782647
1999 is retro.
You are right that some games are incompatible, more than on the Voodoo2. But most of the better ones do work.

Compatibility issues only exist on DOS static-link titles. Anything on Windows will run on any card.
>>
>>3782693
Yeah. I'm actually on the lookout for a Voodoo 2 right now to go into my own retro rig parallel to my early 2000s 3dfx card - and mine is also a P3 with like 2gb of ram which is a pretty non-retro amount of ram too. I only paid $10 for it just as it is but I spent a long, long, long time looking for it. I'm sure I took a pass on at least 100 thrift store computers before I found it although a lot of those were just because even the thrift stores had the prices too high. The largest chain in my area Ohio Thrift actually tests all their PCs and if they boot all the way to an OS they put them in the showcase running for like $100 or more so I don't even look at them. Mine ended up coming from a Volunteers of America or... maybe Village Discount? Then I spent most of my free time one weekend getting 98se, compatible drivers etc on it. At any rate, thrifting has gotten so popular I've been seriously considering outright buying a Voodoo 2 and a GeForce2go laptop on eBay. For someone in yurop that probably has zero thrift stores and minimal population density for local BST that 90 yuro machine isn't a bad purchase, especially if he's not trying to configure something himself. If a better one pops up later, he shouldn't have too much trouble selling it for as much or more than he paid. I can't imagine the price of systems like that will ever go down assuming he doesn't burn it up with crappy yurotricity. .
>>
>>3782596
Please, go on.

Is the culture any different on the west coast than the east coast?

What games were popular back in the day?

What is the modern gaming scene like in abostraya?

Tell me about the different social castes of straya and their tastes in games.
>>
>>3783196
Very different east to west. The east coast is sort of like the modern world. The west is the old wild west, just with a funny accent.
No idea what games were popular back in the day as I was in the US then. Modern gaming is fpsfags. Like everywhere else.
The castes are CSGO, TF2, DOTA, LOL, that one guy who has a SNES.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.