[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Extra sound channels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

File: NES-Console.jpg (2MB, 3780x2560px) Image search: [Google]
NES-Console.jpg
2MB, 3780x2560px
Is there a good guide anywhere on how to mod an NES to be able to play the additional sound channels present in some famicom games?

Also, does anyone know which soundchips are supported by the Everdrive N8 China Version?

Thanks.
>>
Alright I'm sure so some will correct me here but

Pretty sure the japan-only "extra sound channel" cakes were on the Famicom Disk - like Metroid. You're fucked there unless you emulate, because the extra sound channels were enabled through the FDS itself and can't ever be replicated using an NA NES.

The other cart games with extra sound channels, were all just games that had extra chips - aren't the Sunsoft games examples of this? There's a bunch of these in the NA catalog.

Can't help you with the Everdrive shit, totally never looked into that.

Emulating will at least let you hear the shit though. I don't think you're ever going to hear extra Metroid sounds on an American NES.
>>
File: fdsstick_console.jpg (407KB, 1623x1196px) Image search: [Google]
fdsstick_console.jpg
407KB, 1623x1196px
>>3774115
The everdrive sound support for the FDS games is shit. It works well enough on the supported cartridge games. 47k resistor between pins 3 and 9 of the exp connector on the bottom to enable the cart sound with an everdrive. Also works on famicom carts with an nes adaptor appropriately modified to pass the sound channel through. If you're serious about getting famicom sound, pick up an AV modified original famicom or a famicom AV. Also get an FDS ram adapter and fdsstick. Skip out on the actual FDS unless you hate yourself.
>>
File: gun fail.jpg (37KB, 487x418px) Image search: [Google]
gun fail.jpg
37KB, 487x418px
>>3774115
>>3774315
Come on, this is the crudest problem in the world! The only time it wouldn't be is if you're using the bundled RF adaptor.

How did the NES output sound? Out through a single RCA jack. So, with extra sound capabilities coming from the cartridge, assuming it can pull enough power, where is the simplest place to send extra audio signals?
>>
>>3774593
What the earthly fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: 3336054927_827aff5c1b_o.jpg (79KB, 651x251px) Image search: [Google]
3336054927_827aff5c1b_o.jpg
79KB, 651x251px
>>3774604
I'm just sayin', all implementing the extra sound channels for an NES would require is using one's head and thinking outside the box. It's not like you'd be expecting to implement 3d surround sound or anything.
>>
>>3774617
You have literally no idea what you're talking about.

In any case, this is what you should do:
http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/open-hidden-sound-channels-in-nes.html

Just a simple resistor is all it takes. I would recommend using a 56k resistor over 47k.
>>
>>3774634
That requires opening the NES up and messing around with the circuitry. A cartridge or pass through adaptor that provides this capability directly would evade that, and even for those willing to do it, would avoid necessitating doing it on every NES you'd want to use it for. Still wouldn't work for a top loader though. Additionally, it would allow customizing the volume of the extra sound channels through balance control.
>>
>>3774115
couldn't you just use PCM?
>>
>>3774115
Yes
Nothing well

>>3774315
>>3774593
>>3774617
>>3774720
If you're clueless why post?
>>
>>3774794
because I figured someone might make an informative post.

after refreshing a bit, it seems that PCM is impractical for this, but what about DPCM?

admittedly I only know the basics about NES audio.
>>
>>3774815
>I only know the basics
No. You don't.
>>
>>3774941
yes I do.

>>3774957
what I'm asking is whether its possible to work within NES limitations to approximate the Famicom's capabilities. but I guess you can't, and you have to solder.
>>
>>3774962
You can't because the extra sound channels are created by a chip inside the cartridge and simply passed through the Famicom and mixed with the internal audio generator. Same with the FDS, the extra sound is generated by the FDS unit itself. Sunsoft made excellent use of the NES's sample channel, but you're still missing like 4-8 extra channels of audio that could be offered by a variety of different synthesizer chips. Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Story II, Akumajou Densetsu, Gimmick!, and King of Kings, among others are all excellent examples of this. They truly change the nature of the Famicom's sound capabilities.
>>
>>3774965
thanks, this is all I was looking for.

I'm aware that some games squeezed alot out of the NES, eg Gimmick!s rich soundtrack. but now I understand why that can only go so far.
>>
>>3774697
>customizing the volume of the extra sound channels through balance control.
that's what the resistor is for ya rube - and if you want to run a wire out of your 72-to-60 pin adapter to a barrel connector on the audio out rather than connecting it directly that's your perogative but you don't have to open the NES to do it. The expansion port on the bottom has pins in it that run to spare pins in the cart slot as well as to the audio channel so all you have to do is connect the right two pins in you pin converter and the right two pins in the expansion port, using a proper resistor in one or the other. The only reason this won't work on a top loader is because they're RF only so you might as well open them up and connect their AV circuitry anyway so you might as well connect the expansion audio while you're at it - or just get an AV Famicom since they're cheaper than top loading NESs and already have all that.
>>
File: IMG_2738.jpg (147KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2738.jpg
147KB, 800x600px
Part 1

This simple 56k resistor on the NES expansion port.

If you suck at soldering like I did when I first did this then you can use hot glue if it makes you feel better. Later you should solder though, it's worth the """effort""" to learn and is shit easy.
>>
File: IMG_2739.jpg (226KB, 960x590px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2739.jpg
226KB, 960x590px
>>3774991
Part 2

Once you finish modding your NES (installing a single resistor) you'll need to solder a wire between these pins on your NES adapter. Should be easy enough, just ask if you need help.

Keep in mind that there are some adapters (like the ones from Krikzz or whatever they're called) that come with this mod already done, however take it from me - shipping takes months
>>
>>3774962
You've proven time and time again that you don't
>>
>>3774962
No anon, you don't know shit, you don't seem to have any clue how sound expansion works
>>
>>3774992
Thanks man. Does this work on third-party adapters too?
>>
>>3775029
I get it now, the difference between Gimmick! and Mr. Gimmick is made by the sound chip and increased channels. Mr. Gimmick sounds so stripped and hollow because the basic channels can't get there no matter how far you push them.
>>
File: 71vNg3kffXL._SL1500_[1].jpg (183KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71vNg3kffXL._SL1500_[1].jpg
183KB, 1500x1500px
This thread makes me want to put an amplified speaker in my 72-to-60 pin adapter. That would be rad Should I use both channels for the expansion audio or one for that and run the NES audio into one of the unused pins so it could have that too?
>>
>>3774115
...just buy a famicom?
>>
File: ENIO-EXP-v1_2-complete-small.jpg (70KB, 489x264px) Image search: [Google]
ENIO-EXP-v1_2-complete-small.jpg
70KB, 489x264px
>>3774115
Just use the ENIO Exp board. It goes in the expansion slot on the bottom of the console and does all of the work for you. No soldering required.
>>
>>3774315
This post is wrong in almost literally every point it tried to make. I'm impressed at just how wrong it is.
>>
>>3774974
How dumb are you to not figure out that there were chips on a cartridge?
>>
>>3774965
>>3774974
Those chips are functional on the Everdrive N8 for the record.
>>
>>3777339
holy shit, I was just trying to find out more info, that's why I asked.

I was aware of extra chips, just like I was aware of 2 squares, 1 triangle, 1 noise and a sampling channel. I was asking whether it was feasible to substitute extra capabilities with the sampling channel, because I'm not an expert and wanted to find out more. I get it now. I'm familiar with Gimmick, and if the utterly gutted sound of Mr. Gimmick is as close as they could get to the expansion chip... then yea, it's not close.
>>
>>3775529
I have the NES version of the everdrive, so that's not really an option.
>>
File: 1441648065957.jpg (124KB, 399x355px) Image search: [Google]
1441648065957.jpg
124KB, 399x355px
>>3777529
Then buy... an NES... to Famicom... adapter...
>>
>>3777536
Why wait if I can just solder in a part?
>>
>>3774634

So... doing this mod will allow me to just plug a Famicom copy of CAstlevania 3 and hear the extra sound channel?
>>
>>3777538
Because you're obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed and will likely kill your NES
>>
>>3774697
>A cartridge or pass through adaptor that provides this capability directly would evade that

Elaborate.. got any link?
>>
>>3777562
Just do what this post says:
>>3777336

That ENIO board is much simpler and will let you hear the extra sound channels on any game that supports expansion audio.
>>
File: 20170204_144933.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170204_144933.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
OP here.

Just did this. Works like a fucking charm. Thanks guys!
>>
>>3777623
>>3777623
>That ENIO board is much simpler
>$30

no thank you.
>>
>>3779386
you're welcome fa m
>>
>>3777565
It's merely stating what the obvious solution to the NES not having that feature would be, exploiting the fact that it only uses one RCA jack. So, just outputting the sound through a line to the unused RCA jack. Like, through a game genie or sonic and knuckles type adaptor. It would have been far more appealing than the aladdin deck enhancer.
>>
>>3774115
Is the Famicom Disk System audio good in an actual Everdrive-N8 (not China version) when I play in an AV modded original Famicom or do I still need those FDS RAM adapter and FDSStick mods?
>>
>>3779515
Yeah except it isn't 30 you twat.
>>
>>3780275
The audio plays, but it is slightly off.
>>
>>3779386
>console genital mutilation
>not playing games with shit sound as the developers originally intended nesfags to
Why not just emulate?

>>3780275
>>3780531
It's pretty shit. But admittedly I don't have low standards.
>>
>>3780662
>console genital mutilation
This is more like giving it a cybernetic upgrade to do things it couldn't on its own.
>>
>>3779515
It's definitely not 30 bucks:

https://www.nintendorepairhut.com/accessories/nintendonesaccessories.html
>>
>>3774115
Just get a fucking AV Famicom or whatever.
>>
>>3780531
I found FDS audio in the everdrive unplayably bad. About 5 minutes in Zelda was all I could take.
>>
>>3781202
For FDS-games, there's something called the FDSstick. It's something that emulates the disk drive that you connect to a RAM-adapter, which also contains the audio chip.
>>
>>3780774
>being unironically stupid
>Gives anime pillow cybernetic upgrade
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.