[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quake thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2729.jpg (142KB, 288x334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2729.jpg
142KB, 288x334px
Reasons why quake sucks from people who say it sucks:
>browns and beige! And more browns and more beige and browns and beige!
>the game wasn't so mind numbingly easy that I could even kill every enemy in the game with a shotgun like in doom
>uh... doom ripoff!
Is this really the best they have?
>>
It brought the cancer that is bunny hopping to the genre.
>>
>>3773160
So in other words you aren't good enough to play against skilled players so you blame the game?
>>
>>3773157
Reasons why quake sucks
>Brown military base, brown castle
>MUCH easier than Doom, lol
>First boss is very easy and defeated by stepping on switches
>Poor monster variety
>At the time, it was graphically impressive but designed in a way that was unnecessarily favorable to Intel processors

Reasons why Quake is great:
>Co-op
>Netplay
>Cool powerups

It doesn't hold a candle to Quake II or Unreal for me, but those came later.
>>
File: michiru.jpg (33KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
michiru.jpg
33KB, 300x400px
>>3773165
>bunny hopping
>skill
>>
>choppy model animations (this is my big one)
>looks like butt with only CPU rendering
>skybox sucks
>the story is generic / another Doom (ie. messing with teleport technology brought a monster problem to techbase land)
I understand the technical achievements the game brought but it was never really high in games I cared about. But of course the multiplayer was stellar.
>>
>>3773160

>making FPS games faster and more acrobatic is bad

CoD player?
>>
>>3773157
> environments
quake cycles through the same 3 or 4 environments (even cut one out until an expansion) in a single episode for 5 episodes and probably would've been better if each episode had it's own environment instead

> enemies
quake had some pretty weak enemy variety and only had 2 of the 5 bosses they originally planned
>>
>>3773315
didn't say anything about speed
>acrobatic
it's not acrobatic, it's just fucking bunny hopping

And no, I don't play CoD or any other modern FPS.
>>
>>3773315
that kinda explains why they shit themselves over the newer games being futuristic and having things like exo suits or free running.
>>
>>3773318

If it weren't for bunny hoping (circle strafing in Quake) these games would just have you walking around predictably at a mild pace. All gameplay would stagnate at the level you see from tier 2 players in Quake Live. The skill ceiling would be much, much lower.
>>
>>3773292
>doesn't mention level design, the best levels Romero, McGee, and Petersen ever made

Come on
>>
>>3773331
>bunny hopping is the only way to work around jump physics
>bunny hopping means running doesn't exist.
>>
>>3773157
Do people really play Quake single player? I played online every day for 10 years+ and never even played past E2M1 in single.
>>
>>3773332
Quake's singleplayer campaign is criminally underrated and it still has the best use of vertical space out of any FPS ever made.
>>
Why do people get triggered so much by Quake 1 having both sci-fi and fantasy elements?
>>
>>3773334

It was probably the best way both could have been implemented, which is funny since it started as a glitch.
>>
>>3773157
I loved Quake as a child. A few years ago I replayed it. It was still great, but not as much fun.

IMO, it's amazing as a 3D game. But as FPS it was a tiny bit boring to me. No headshots, boring weapons, too few enemy types which are bullet mostly sponges.

Still, that mix of satanic, gothic and nordic influences made for one of the coolest art styles I've seen in games, ever.
>>
>>3773360
Because it doesn't mix well
>>
>>3773323
Not really. New games are shit because they are literally reskinned versions of previous games with nothing good added, and disfigured bits of Titanfall slapped on top.
>>
>>3773407
i dunno i'm always hearing COD kiddies whine about wanting another boots on the ground game even though the last 3 games that were sucked.

also i'm convinced that nobody working on the series wants to continue working on them anymore
>>
>>3773420
Black Ops II was great though. It's what CoD games since 4 should have been in the first place.
>>
File: 1482909947870.png (97KB, 581x707px) Image search: [Google]
1482909947870.png
97KB, 581x707px
>mfw Doom casuals try to play Quake 1 with only the Super Shotgun and hit and run tactics like they do in Doom 2, then get mad at the game and call enemies bullet sponges when it turns out to be boring and ineffective.
>>
>>3773307
It was the demo disc that I enjoyed.

Yes, hi there, I see you my fun time stalker. I said it, the demo disc was better. More atmosphere. Give yourself a sparkly sticker.
>>
>>3773393

Shit off
>>
>>3773462
>Doom guy except in camo armor means this mixture of tech and gothic themes with absolutely no explanation is good
>>
>>3773437
BO2 was pretty with the RTS segments of the single player being the only good part of the game

>campaign was probably the worst in the series where none of the choices really made any sense

> zombies was meh

> multiplayer is solid but so was COD4, WAW & BO1
>>
>>3773315
Only "modern military shooter" type game that I liked was BF:BC2. No particular reason, it just had a lot of variation and fun.
>>
>>3773467
I wouldn't call BO2 just solid. It introduced very important and much needed changes to CoD MP, particularly the pick 10 and scorestreak systems. The former made create-a-class actually involve a semblance of creativity and the latter facilitated and rewarded better teamwork, and the game accomplished these things while still remaining very well balanced, actually much more so than the titles that came before it.
>>
>>3773307
>choppy model animations (this is my big one)
that's a shit excuse considering this was fixed by id themselves in GLQuake
>>
>>3773358
I would say tribes 2 was better with how base design was.
>>
>>3774096
Was it? Because they still look like poorly animated cartoons in GLQuake.
>>
>>3774346
yes, they added animation interpolation to the engine as early as GLQuake i think

even if they didn't, almost every modern sourceport has it
>>
>>3774347
It's not. It still looks like 60s Gumby. Source ports add alot of nifty things but it's not the original release.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.