[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thoughts on pic related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

thoughts on pic related?
>>
Weird mix between Silent Hill and Resident Evil, and it doesn't seem to know what side to agree with - you even fight a Tyrant like dude that bursts out of a test tube

It's very western in that way, where it clearly doesn't understand why RE and SH were ever popular to begin with (ironically, Capcom and Konami did know why the first AitD was popular), but still tries really hard to ape the concepts.

The lighting system is really neat though and it's a shame they didn't use games engine again.
>>
>>3772791
>>3772791
RE and SH were popular because of comfy exploration and figuring out the route you are meant to take. The rest is just aesthetic and atmosphere.

GOG release of AITD4 is fucking awesome also, very high res backgrounds (4:3 only obviously), but it looks sharp as fuck. Fully customizable gamepad support too. Love that shit.
>>
File: 3_big.gif (48KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
3_big.gif
48KB, 384x288px
>>3772729
Very underrated RE clone (oh the irony), too bad it's come out when people grew tired of old style RE
I love even the GBC version
>>
>>3772802
>too bad it's come out when people grew tired of old style RE

No, people just didn't like SHITTY ones

AitD4 was a shitty game despite its good music and good graphics
>>
>>3772809
>opinions
So, why it's bad?
No wait, shitty?
>>
>>3772813
Well you said nobody wanted survival horror anymore which is wrong considering the PS2 generation where we got: Fatal Frame 1-3
Silent Hill 2-4
Clock Tower 3
Siren and Forbidden Siren 2

But as for why it's bad:

-Inconsistent horror (Has biological experiment monsters and weird ghosties)
-Weak supporting cast (An old lady, a native american and an evil guy with an eye patch)
-Weird ammo and item placement (like the Rocket Launcher in Aline's path)
-Keys that don't work on doors unless you go through your inventory to use them
-Respawning zombies which makes exploration a pain
-Sequel bait ending that never gets resolved
-No unlockable content or extra endings like Resident Evil or Silent Hill
>>
>>3772831
>Fatal Frame 1-3
>Silent Hill 2-4
>Clock Tower 3
>Siren and Forbidden Siren 2
I said: RE old style
NOT survival horror in general
>>
The only horror game that actually managed to scare me as a kid, i still remember me and my cousin playing it with lights turned off, after dinner and with rain and thunders outside on my old ass laptop at the time.

The only problem is that it's thought as a graphic adventure, so if you do like i did and think of it as a third person shooter you'll be never able to complete it as the fucking zombies respawn as soon as you enter in the room again but the ammos are actually limited and scarce, hell, some of the areas are supposed to be run trough instead of staying and fighting the enemies, and there is no way to figure it out until very late in the game when you have already wasted all your ammos, especially because there are obligatory enemies that are basically bullet sponges and take 10 minutes of shooting to go down...

I liked it tho, i feel like it's one of the few "true" horror games that don't try to mix with all the psychological bullshit or disgusting stuff and only stick to real "fear" with actual monsters.

After this game i think the series went down the shitter and it's not worth playing anymore, as Carnaby went from "the gloomy detective in trenchcoat" to "the average tv show detective with leather jacket", also even the story took a complete different turn.
I think if they remade this game in HD remaining faithful to the original game it would be really cool.
>>
File: re2 re4 leon.jpg (108KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
re2 re4 leon.jpg
108KB, 1024x640px
>>3772837
Well we still have REMake, RE0 and Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube side, but you're gonna "N-NOT MUH REAL RE STYLE GAMES" still

I bought the game pretty close to release for my PS1 because I was in love with horror games after the RE Trilogy. New Nightmare just wasn't very good because they didn't put in the time and effort Capcom did for their games to, for example, make character designs unique and memorable
>>
The game is alright, not great but not bad. As far as "RE clones" go it IS one of the better ones, in all honesty there just isn't many great "RE clones" outside of Silent Hill, even the good ones like Deep Fear or Countdown Vampires are flawed.

It's sad to call it a "RE clone" when it's RE that was a clone of AitD to begin with, but honestly it's true. Very obvious they used a lot of idea from RE.
>>
>>3772851
That was another problem with New Nightmare - the puzzles could be super cryptic because the diaries/books you could read were sometimes poorly translated
>>
File: page33.jpg (676KB, 1329x2148px) Image search: [Google]
page33.jpg
676KB, 1329x2148px
By the way, two AitD comics were made. One in 1994 based on AitD3, and one in 2001 as a prequel to A New Nightmare.

That 2001 one is pretty good, it's not a 'survival horror' comic (although the 1994 one is, transposing survival horror to another media is rare enough to be worth mentionning), more like Indiana Jones meet Cthuluh.
It was made by French authors but who lived in the US, so apparently they made both an English and French version. However they seem pretty rare, so if anyone's interested I have taken the French version and done a scanlation in English. Pic and link related.

http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/8IMhHcbn/file.html

I also did an English scanlation of the 1994 one:
http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/GYlyIhR7/file.html
>>
>>3772864
thanks for that
>>
>>3772869
The phrasing in the 1994 comic may sound like bad english, but honestly, that mainly comes from how bad the original script is. The writer used a pseudonym for the credits so I guess that says it all.
The 1994 one is still worth reading because it does a great job at transposing survival horror to comic book, the protag has to solve puzzles, flee from monsters, fight when the odds are against him, etc etc Usually when a book/movie is based on a survival horror they don't even try and go for something else entirely (just look at the Resident Evil novels, comics and movies...) so it's quite an interesting read even if the art and script isn't great.

The 2001 one is a good adventure comic.
>>
>>3772852
>Well we still have REMake, RE0 and Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube side, but you're gonna "N-NOT MUH REAL RE STYLE GAMES" still
WHAT-THE-FUCK
I said gamers grew tired of RE clones, ONLY RE CLONES.
AITD4 was so old style the PSX release was THE SAME as the other version
And ED on GC was NOT a RE clone
>>
>game over if you run out of ammo

I've had to start so many new games because of this shit. Other than that, the GBC version was really impressive.
>>
>>3772729
Just replayed recently on my modded PS2 (Sadly i cant advance to disc 2 because of the mod) and shit was cash.

Really the story has a LOT of worldbuilding behind it thanks to the Morton lineage and unless you are paying attention most of its coolness will be lost on you. Many people probably didnt apreciate the 15 page documents you find around and most likely skipped through it until they found the red lines.

To me AitD was more scarier than RE 1 thanks to the darkness of the game and how you have to use your light to advance through the unlited areas.
>>
>>3773543
The flashlight mechanic was really cool, too bad that with 2D backgrounds it meant loading two different backgrounds for each camera angle change, thus doubling the loading times between camera angles...

Really best to play the gog version.
>>
>>3773567
Didnt notice any slowdowns, whats the bonus of the GOG version?

Also this game gave me feels, when you shoot the dogs at the beggining some of them gets crippled and then they crawl with their front legs. Made me feel pretty bad for them and wasted bullets to ease their suffering.
>>
>>3773592
PS2 version in particular is very notorious for the slowdowns between camera angles.

GOG has higher quality models, textures, backgrounds, sound, everything.. Plus it comes with an OST (iirc), walkthrough and some nigger-rigged wallpapers. Looks-wise its the best version by far, which is what matters.
>>
>>3773602
Im playing the PS1 version on my PS2 and looks okay.

Sadly i have advanced too far into the game to drop it now.

I think i will just import the save to a PSP and switch discs there.
>>
File: alone4 2017-02-01 21-30-07-11.jpg (149KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
alone4 2017-02-01 21-30-07-11.jpg
149KB, 1024x768px
>>3773607
PS1 version runs okay, PS2 version runs like shit. Dreamcast version also runs like shit.
>>
>>3773625
Does GOG AitD look like THAT?

Will begin anew after all.
>>
>>3773725
Yep.
>>
>>3772729
The original Alone in the Dark are better.
>>
I've played a few minutes of it and I've got to say, the lighting on the pre-rendered backgrounds is cool as fuck and the tank controls in this are the best I've ever experienced
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.