[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We're back to 1994!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

File: psx.gif (492KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
psx.gif
492KB, 500x360px
>"WHAT! PLAYSTATION? SONY? DA FUCK IS THAT?"
>"SEGA IS GONNA DESTROY DAT SHIT! WITH GLORIUS VIRTUA FIGHTER, DAYTONA AND THE NEW SONIC, JUST YOU WAIT!"
>>
sawneeguhrs
>>
>>3772647
I dunno, looks so much like a Super Famicom to me.

And the Super Famicom is really great, and according to my info, many third-party developers on the Super Famicom is working with Sony on the PlayStation.
>>
As far as my experience goes, nobody in school had even heard of the playstation. We were too busy talking how fucking amazing Donkey Kong Country was.
>>
>>3772920
Pretty much. PS didn't become THE console until 97 or 98.
>>
I can still remember the first time I heard the word 'playstation'.

My older brother told me he'd pre-ordered one and would have it on release day. I said "What the hell's a playstation? That sounds stupid."

He just laughed and said "It's like your sega only 10 times better."
>>
>>3772932
>He just laughed and said "It's like your sega only 10 times better."
And your older brother was completely correct
>>
Yeah, in 1994 nobody had one. It came out in late 94 in Japan and it had no games.
I remember seeing one in 1995, at a video game store. A guy was paying a sport game on it.
There were still better games on SNES and Genesis so I didn't really care, thought it was another 3DO (which I had).
It wasn't until late 96 that I got a PS1 with Tekken II and Ridge Racer Revolution. But I still didn't really use it that much because I also got a N64, and it kind of took all my attention.
I started using the PS1 more later, mainly for anime-related games.
>>
>>3772936
He was.

He got it on launch day and basically I spent the next 2 years playing anything that was multiplayer with him, and sneaking into his room when he wasn't home to play anything that was singleplayer.

I think he basically forced our parents to buy me one just to keep me from sneaking into his room every day. Not why he hated it so much, really. I guess he just didn't trust me not to break something and get my horrible greasy little kid fingers all over his discs.

I never damaged a damn thing, bro! That shit was as precious to me as it was to you!
>>
>>3772956
What games did you play?
Ridge Racer and Tekken 1... anything else on the first year of PS1?
>>
I thought 3DO was a deal back then .
>>
The name is kind of lame, but I'm interested cos I'm a bit of a sucker for Sony, with their Walkmans, Discmans, and Trinitrons.

The console looks sleek, and I like the controllers, they're symmetrical and look space age.

I'm a Nintendork, so I won't ever get anything Sega (which proved to be untrue when I got a Dreamcast as an adult], but this PlayStation is intriguing. It'd be nice to have another CD player. The boobies on the ToShinDen lady are neat as well.
>>
>>3772647
Mega Drive's still best. That thing's probably going to suck and disappear just like the Mega CD, 3DO, and Jaguar.

>fast fwd to 95
Holy shit the screenshots of MK3 look amazing!
There's going to be a Discworld game? Brill!
Rayman and Twisted Metal look mint!
>>
File: 115.jpg (709KB, 1280x1770px) Image search: [Google]
115.jpg
709KB, 1280x1770px
>Role-playing threads.
Every time someone always starts one of these, it's always filled with babbies with who never actually around during the period.
>>
Sony doesn't "get" games like Nintendo or Sega. They're not a gaming company, but just another CD Player maker.
Dead on arrival.
>>
>>3772959
Tekken 1 was a piece of shit.

Toshinden on the other hand, was fucking awesome. It was like if you had Virtua Fighter but it played like Street Fighter and looked way better.
>>
>>3772967
In all honesty, this. In 1994 I figured the Playstation would be basically the same as a 3DO. I played Destruction Derby (sucked) and Twisted Metal 1 at a friend's house in '95 but it wasn't until that holiday season that I became a believer.
>>
>>3773024
>looked way better
>shitty fucking animation followed by an unstable 20-30fps
Are you fucking blind? It looks like total dogshit compared to tekken 1's smooth realistic animations and framerate.
>>
>>3773008
>Kera
>Screenshot says "Terra"
>>
>>3772647
>my zero year old self said all that shit and in all caps in 1994
>>
>>3773024
>played like SF

wat
>>
>>3773043
I cannot believe that there are people on /vr/ younger than the PS1.
>>
>>3772647
>da
>dat
Ebonics. Nice. Fuck off back to where you came form.
>>3773050
Are you joking? Most all the /vr/ regulars left except for the generals.
>>
>>3773048
Special moves like shoryuken and hadouken, super moves, desperate moves..
>>
>>3773050
>>3773058
Which is explains why these threads always get their facts wrong about everything.

By the way, Tekken wasn't actually called Tekken during development. The working title was Rave War.
>>
>>3773048
The first Toshinden did. You had a bunch of normal attacks, very similar specials (main characters even had their own qcf+p and dp+p fireball and uppercuts), it even had its own Ryu, Ken, and Akuma, and it had very traditional controls (hold back to block, crouching attacks hit standing block, air moves hit crouching block, etc). And the usual fireball wars.

About the biggest difference was that you only had 2 strength moves (weak and strong), but each one did a different thing depending if you were close or far away.

Oh and you had the 3d dodge move, and you had back attacks - if you somehow hit an enemy when they have their backs turned, you do double damage.

Now that I think about it, it was perhaps closer to SNK fighters, especially in how retarded button motions you needed for the super moves... but, those were hidden and not really useful anyway.
>>
>>3772959
-Crash Bandicoot
-Spyro
-Tony Hawk one through three
-Chrono Trigger collection
-Legend of Dragoon
-Grandia
-FF7 and FF8
-Breath of Fire Three until the first disc burned out
>>
>>3773089
Crash 1, ok... not sure about the rest, did they came out in 1995? I'm sure FF7 didn't.
>>
>>3773089
Fug I forgot about Alpha three and Medievil
>>
>>3773091
Oh, I just listed stuff. Launch day? The Bandicoot.
>>
>>3773102
except for me launch day was when I could buy it used off of my friend after he moved
>>
>>3773102
crash didn't come out until 1996, did it not?
In 1995 you had Jumping Flash though.
>>
>>3772647
It must be good if it's made by Sony.
They make good walkmans and TVs
>>
>>3773264
Panasonic is better, the 3DO will rule.
>>
>>3773008
They fucking gave away the big twist of the game.
>>
>>3773303
that's not the big twist. The big twist is that the game is pretty bad and you will end up wasting your time playing a mediocre dump-your-best-attacks rpg with a bad story, poor writing and a joke villain. 7 is better in every way.
>>
File: gaystation_by_robingms-d4t0jlm.png (427KB, 620x560px) Image search: [Google]
gaystation_by_robingms-d4t0jlm.png
427KB, 620x560px
>>3772647
gaystation fuck off
>>
>>3773050
You'll have a hard time finding ones older.
>>
>>3773320
>Not liking 6
>Liking 7

7 basically has the exact same plot except that the villain is an emo instead of a clown. Every Final Fantasy game and almost every JRPG has mediocre dump-your-best-attacks gameplay.

I really like both games but any criticism you could possibly have for FF6 applies to FF7 too.
>>
>>3773058
>Are you joking? Most all the /vr/ regulars left except for the generals.

>implying you can't be younger than the PS1 while also being a /vr/ regular

1996er here, been on this board since a couple months after it started.
>>
>>3773291
The 3DO wasn't even a Panasonic design. Goldstar (LG) made 3DOs too.
>>
>>3772647
>Tekken, Ridge Racer, Crash
your already dead
>>
>>3773062
Was this related to Rave Racer? Like a Rave era of Namco or some shit?
>>
File: scps10003front.jpg (100KB, 409x400px) Image search: [Google]
scps10003front.jpg
100KB, 409x400px
>>3772647
>1994
ohh yeah
CRIME CRACKERS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88qKL5bFKy4
>>
I don't think I was ever aware of the PS1 until I saw a demo unit of it in a store. Played Crash Bandicoot on that unit and it sucked, so I didn't give the system any more attention. Then Nintendo came out with the N64 and that had nothing I was interested in either.

Ended up just sticking to my Game Boy, SNES, and PC games during that generation.
>>
>>3773726
The original was absolutely a Panasonic design. Sanyo and Goldstar didn't manufacture a unit until a year later. 3do just licensed the tech, the companies designed their own units. Panasonic is the original and most common.
>>
>>3773745
this is the greatest DOOM mod btw.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRfBKAkDCT0

Early Suikoden
>>
>>3772647
>playing games on discs
OP plz, cartridges or eat a fat dick.
>>
File: Cd_caddies_JPG.jpg (271KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Cd_caddies_JPG.jpg
271KB, 1280x960px
>>3773761
why not both
>>
>>3773767
>never seen one of those in real life ever
>find a scsi cd caddy drive (with caddies) in the bin a few days ago
>now everywhere I go online I see them
wtf is happening
>>
>>3773745
I remember seeing cutscene clips of this on g4 a few years ago. Should give it a try one of these days.
>>
Skipped Sony until the PS2. Nintendo/Sega/PC master race.
>>
>>3773864
http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/baader-meinhof-phenomenon.htm
>>
>>3773864
Is that an Xbox One S?
>>
>He thinks the Gaystation with 32 bits has a chance against the ULTRA 64 with 64 bits
>>
>>3774072
>he thinks either can stand up to the Saturn with its TWO processors and TWO graphics chipsets
>>
File: snes_cd.jpg (17KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
snes_cd.jpg
17KB, 300x200px
>>3773864
I really like the design of using cd caddy since it protects teh disc better with less scratches. Even if manufacturing would have been too expensive.
>>
>>3772647
What's the point of animating that image?
>>
>>3774092
well at least somy later used that concept for the psp
>>
File: Vincentxx.jpg (90KB, 1006x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Vincentxx.jpg
90KB, 1006x1024px
>>3773745
>that robot
>>
Playstation launch lineup sucks. This thing is dead.
>>
File: 1483197837936.png (297KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1483197837936.png
297KB, 1200x1200px
Luckily back in mid 199x I already was PC masterrace
>>
>>3774547
Every launch is the same thing.
>>
>>3774547
A. IV Evolution
Crime Crackers
Gokujō Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack
Mahjong Goku Sky: Atsushi
Mahjong Station Mazin
Nekketsu Oyako
Ridge Racer
TAMA
The japanese line up was HORRIBLE
>>
File: Xmas1995vs2015.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Xmas1995vs2015.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
I had no clue what was wrapped under the tree, as the box was much smaller than the NES (2xControllers+Zapper+ROB+Duck Hunt+Gyromite) and SNES (2xControllers+Super Mario World) boxes. I knew there were shortages of Playstations and their games in my country, so I thought parents wrapped a boxed sweatshirt and sweatpants outfit. Uncle knew Toshinden and the demo disc was gonna easily bore me out, so later that week he had me choose 2 more titles. At that time I was still very happy with the SNES, but my cousins' Genesis had run its course and was fading. So, imagine those 2 N64 kids, but with a Playstation instead. (We still played the SNES and Genesis alongside the new Playstation)

So, 20 years later, on the right side is a recreation of my 2015 Christmas. Being poor means gives so much perspective at how magical they made one specific Christmas. Have you ever made someone's Christmas special?
At that time, I don't think any kid had that kind of faith in Sega. In fact, in my area everyone had Nintendo systems (or if you're really poor, Tiger handhelds), Sega was hated or ignored (but I fortunately convinced uncle/cousins to get something else, Genesis, so we can enjoy a variety and trade/share/swap from time to time). Nobody liked Virtua Fighter, and Daytona was a nice tech show at the carnival. Sony was interesting as they had funding from Namco, and it was a brand most of us were familiar through our TVs and Walkmans, very intriguing what they would bring to the table. There, that was my memory of that time. Fuck, only thing I remembered of 2015 was I probably fucked up a few orders at work, sorry to those who got the wrong burger on the day after Christmas.
>>
>>3774894
>Corean ramen
Confirmed shit taste.
>>
>>3775032
>Corean
Confirmed shit taste. In education.
>>
>>3772647
You had to play Toshinden once (or just see it), and it was obvious the PlayStation would destroy everything in sight.
>>
>>3773024
Nostalgia goggles are fastened to tight on this guy.
>>
>>3775414
Nah, he's right (at least for Toshinden; I don't remember Tekken 1 well enough).

Toshinden was the game to have back then, and it truly felt like a magical combination of Virtua Fighter for the 3D + Street Fighter for the special moves and edgy feel.

In 1996 it was considered dated though; but I remember honing my skills on it until 2000.
>>
>>3773697
Not younger than PS1... but 1993 here.
The gaming timeline in this country is a bit shifted due to post-communist economic depression - and thanks God for that, my first PC was a 386DX, during the same time most of my friends had cheap Chinese famiclones thus most people born in the early 1990s in this country remember 8-bit NES games and people born in the late 90s always begun with some cheap secondhand Pentium. Yeah we got a 386 up until the Pentium II era, but at that time a P2 CPU alone costed 3x the monthly average national wage.
>>
>>3773697
Oh, and PS1 was a 2002-2007 thing here, at least for kids (of course there were people who had a PS3 by launch day, but I am talking average kids, I had a Pentium 4 desktop by 2004 through, but we used a 386 until 2000 so...).
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.