[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emulation Controllers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: 61O8NZuAdsL._SL1001_.jpg (65KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
61O8NZuAdsL._SL1001_.jpg
65KB, 1001x1001px
What does /vr/ recommend for some good controllers ideal for controlling old games via emulation?

Pic is of one that should be fairly obvious to anyone on /vr/
>>
>>3770315
Official controllers or the best console-lifetime knockoffs with USB adapters.
>>
I play with a Pokken controller. It has enough buttons for SNES/Genesis games, and Hori makes a good controller.
>>
>>3770315
I use a DS3. Sue me.
>>
>>3770315
wii classic
>>
>>3770315
8bitdo are probably the only recommendation I would make if you want the retro aesthetic, but they are pricey. Otherwise just find an original contrller and buy an adapter (except N64, their controllers were shit quality, use a gamecube or third party controller).
>>
>>3770315
>>3770315
I own over twenty different gamepads, my favorite choices would be buffalo's snes usb controller and Saturn's usb controller for the 2d games, and Hori's gem pad ex for the 3d ones.
>>
>>3770315
Ps2 controller if you do something about the squishy as fuck dpad
Or use adapters for the official controllers
>>
>>3770315
For 2D games the only choice is a Saturn pad.
For 3D games get either an Xbone or PS4 controller.
>>
File: 1478107087836.png (872KB, 773x597px) Image search: [Google]
1478107087836.png
872KB, 773x597px
>>3770381

People shit on it because of the price, but it's a really nice controller.
>>
A plain PS3 USB controller is by far the best, most dependable, full-featured, long-lasting and
high-quality controller you'll ever want or need for emulation, any controller-based PC/steam game or anything you can manage to wrangle with joy2key. Not shilling for sony, but after using dozens of pc controllers over the last 20 years it's just simply the best, and you should be able to get one these days for a few dollars.

You will never need anything else
>>
>>3771789
I like the ds3 too, but it's too bad about the mid tier d-pad, awful curved triggers, and ergonomics targeting 13 year old hands. there are better options out there, and there's no reason to use the same controller for modern games and old ones when you have to make tradeoffs like that.
>>
>>3770339
Very much this.

The bliss-box (http://skunx7.wixsite.com/bliss-box) is the fucking bee's knees.
>>
>>3771825
the amount of research that went into this thing is absurd. learned a lot about controllers and USB when the author was on a podcast.

apparently you can use a CDi controller with it and have considerably less input lag than the real console. If that's what you're into
>>
>>3770381
>>3771751
This question is probably really stupid so apologies, but can you use the 8bitdo pads over usb when the wire is plugged in or is the wire just for charging?

Also is it worth getting the pads with analog sticks (say, for MAME) or better to just to stick to the D-pad only ones?
>>
>>3771870
>Q15:How to test 8Bitdo controller in Windows?
>A: 1. Connect 8Bitdo controller via USB to PC
2. To launch Game Controller Properties in Windows 7 from RUN type "joy.cpl" in RUN.

Yes
Can't say about the analogue sticks.
>>
File: 20170201_045131.jpg (119KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20170201_045131.jpg
119KB, 640x480px
>>3770315
I have these 2 Logitech controllers and they're pretty much the same. They're not bad but the d-pad isn't great for NES and SNES.

I really can't complain because I got the both for a dollar each at the flea market but I probably wouldn't pay more than 10-15 bucks for um.
>>
I use a bootleg wired PS3 controller, works like a charm for almost everything. Not even sure if a bootleg or just some shady third-party thing, these can be found on fucking Carrefour with their brand on it
>>
>>3772746
There's a wired PS3 "snakebyte" controller at my local thift store for 3 bucks but I already have these >>3772726

I had it in my hand the other day but I put it down but I'm pretty sure it's still there. Any experience with that kinda 3rd party PS3 controller? I don't even have a PS3 but I was hoping it would work on my PC.
>>
>>3770362
My african-american.
>>
>>3772751
>Any experience with that kinda 3rd party PS3 controller?

Had two. One endured three years of almost daily bashing and high intensity games like fighting and sports. The other works fine but the analog stick tends to get stuck when pressing up. Bad for precision games like shooters but OK for most retro needs.

But it depends a lot on the manufacturer so take it with a grain of salt
>>
>>3772726
dead zones on f310 are the stuff of nightmares, any game that requires precision (any fps/tps) is effectively unplayable
>>
File: angry.png (217KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
angry.png
217KB, 500x279px
>get n64 usb controller
>joystick have no sensibility
>get n64 controller + usb adapter
>sensibility is dead
>no rumble pack for n64 usb controllers
I'm upset
>>
>>3770315
Is there an iBuffalo pad with NES styling? I've seen that they've got a Famicom style pad but I'd really like to get one with the classic red/black/grey NES look.
>>
>>3772780
Yes and more yes

I mean for a dollar each they were worth it and for most games it's not that bad. I've played alot with these and when you want to play a game with really tight controls it is very lacking.
>>
>>3773504
I wish, I ordered the famicom styled one, the rounded corners may actually be better.
As long as its better than the cheap chink nes pad I got now.
>>
Dualshock with analog is pretty gold on snes9x
>>
File: file.png (85KB, 522x352px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
85KB, 522x352px
The Saturn controller is the best 2D controller I've ever used, but pic related is actually a close second and can substitute as a 3D controller (albeit not a great one).

>SNES-tier Dpad
>Buttons feel great
>Literally just a fat SNES pad with more buttons

Mayflash's USB adapter allows me to map the shoulder sliders. Which act as some of the comfiest shoulder buttons when the axis itself (not the fully-actuated button) is mapped as a button press.
>>
File: tomee.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tomee.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
Fuck the memes, use a Tomee SNES usb controller or an Xbox 360 wired controller.
>>
File: file.png (345KB, 640x224px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
345KB, 640x224px
>>3770381
>>3771751
Owning a SNES30, it's a great controller. My only qualm is that the d-pad doesn't do diagonals so well.
From what I understand it's a problem with PCB's button contacts, but apparently you can fix it with electrical tape.

Pic related is from their official forum.
http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-446-1-1.html
>>
>>3772726
That d-pad is god tier though.
>>
>>3774850
i accidentally trigger diagonals only when panicking, the solution is to not panic. i use FC30 though, but it's probably the same thing inside. now, on the 10$ dual shock clone this issue is very real and no amount of self-control will help.
>>
>>3772726
I have the F310. I have mixed feelings about it. I use it for ePsxe mostly.
>>
>>3774845
Is it true that the knockoffs of these don't work on the Wii when your using homebrew?
>>
>>3772726
I have them too. One on the right has a torn wire, so I bought the left. Took a while getting used to the 2nd bumper buttons. Holding them down feels weird. Glad they ditched the numbers though, they never matched up with programs that detected them. Plus it gives some consistency with Xbox controllers which still feel terrible in my hands
>>
>>3774845
>not recommending the superior Classic Pro
Don't you like comfortable controllers, anon?
>>
>>3776635
Is the Classic pro a gamecube input on the wire or is it the end of the Wiimote input thing?
>>
>>3775278
I have one of these, the cord just broke last week and I have to solder it :/
>>
I just use a 360 controller. Why would I need to change controllers to play retro games? I just need a D-pad and some buttons.
>>
>>3776714
Dude, let's be honest here. I used a 360 controller for a very long time, and while it's super comfy, has great button response, and just werks for everything, the d-pad is absolute garbage. It triggers diagonals far too easily and has too much travel before registering.

Great for any game where you want an analog stick, though.
>>
>>3776960

I tried to play Super Metroid with the Xbox 360's d-pad.

I got to Brinstar before I quit.
>>
>>3774848
How does it compare to the iBuffalo?
>>
>>3774850
Thanks for this link, cause I did that electric tape trick with my cheap chink nes pad and now it works better, no accidently hit diagonals!
>>
>>3772726
got the left and i hate it.
cant wait for xbox controller
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.