[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oracle of Secrets Speculation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

File: Zelda-Oracle-Banner.jpg (94KB, 620x333px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda-Oracle-Banner.jpg
94KB, 620x333px
You might have heard the GameBoy Color games Oracle of Seasons and Ages were originally planned to be a 3 part game. A world for each piece of the triforce and one of the goddesses.

The Oracle of Seasons, Din, is in the land of Holodrum. You use of Rod of Seasons to change the map and collect the 8 Essences of Nature.

The Oracle of Ages, Nayru, is in the land of Labrynna. You use the Harp of Ages to travel between time and collect the 8 Essences of Time.

The Oracle of Secrets, Farore, manages your passwords between games with her book of memory inside the Maku Tree.

If Oracle of Secrets had been a game, what would it's unique tool mechanic have been?
>>
>>3767731
>If Oracle of Secrets had been a game, what would it's unique tool mechanic have been?

The truth behind this is actually known already.

The game would have featured Farore as its oracle, and was originally set to be centered around time travel and puzzles concerning the time of day. The puzzles were all to be focused on time, and some were unable to be solved outside of a specific time of day. Mystical Seed of Wisdom, which eventually became Oracle of Ages, originally had the theme of color, with each event and puzzle relating to color in some way. This was eventually scrapped and used for a bit of Link's Awakening DX instead, thus Oracle of Ages took on the previous Time based theme of the cancelled game.
>>
>>3767731
Fun fact, the main reason for the cancellation was because they couldn't figure out how to make a 3 way password system work. The devs got tired of the debug process and just said "Fuck it, we're making 2 now."
>>
>Oracle of Ages/Seasons are my favorite Zelda games!

Said no one ever.
>>
>>3767797
Oracle of Ages/Seasons are my favorite Zelda games! Look, I said it. You're satisfied?
>>
I wonder if the Animal Companions were meant to be unique to each of their games.
As I recall, they weren't all that useful.

>>3767785
I've never hear that before.

>>3767786
I like that idea

I've heard, since the Minish Cap was developed after this, that it was recycling the canceled oracle game. That the main mechanic would have been a mini-world.
Embodying of courage by facing things that are bigger than you.
>>
>>3767810
>I've never hear that before.
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Mystical_Seed_of_Courage

Have at it.
>>
>>3767797
Oracle of Ages is legitimately my favorite Zelda game. Not even troll posting.
>>
File: tumblr_lzehu3P5hd1qeh39oo1_250.gif (232KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzehu3P5hd1qeh39oo1_250.gif
232KB, 250x250px
If you complete a Linked Game, the special ending has Link sailing away on a boat, waving good by to a crowd.

This lines up with the Official Timeline, with Link's Awakening beginning with Link on a boat during a storm and ending up on the WindFish's Dream Island.

I like to think Farore had something that manifested dreams that could better explain how he really got there.
>>
>>3767797
That's because LA set the bar for handheld Zeldas and both Oracles weren't even close to reaching it.
>>
>>3767895
This. It set such a high watermark that no handheld Zelda has lived up to yet.
>>
How many times can you play A Link to the Past with an added gimmick? All the other Zelda's suck ass.
>>
Perhaps it looked like this?
>>
These maps are part of an April Fool's joke
>>
It was a retarded gimmick to trick people into buying basically the same game twice.

Well, maybe not retarded, since it worked.
>>
>>3768640
"Hours" has a nice ring to it. I have to wonder if Farore was only named the Oracle of Secrets because of the password mechanics.

>>3767785
Maybe the unused color mechanic was recycled in 4 swords. Oracles, 4 Swords, and the minish cap were made by the same Capcom sub company.

>>3767895
The only thing Link's Awakening had that Oracles didn't was nintendo cameos.
I mean Minish Cap had some pretty unique tools and dungeon designs. But before that, items like the Hookshot, feather, and bombs were a staples of Zelda games and nobody wanted it to be different.
>>
>>3767895
The Oracle games have much more interesting and deeper mechanics than LA, both in terms of action and puzzle.

But they also lack the 'sould' that LA has.
>>
File: IMG_3655.jpg (49KB, 600x602px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3655.jpg
49KB, 600x602px
>>3767871
>caring about the Zelda timeline
>>
>>3768736
Link's Awakening had a lot of memorable moments. Your sword on the Beach. Using magic powder in the forest. BowBow getting kidnapped and walking around with it.
The best part for me was this mural at the halfway point, that's tells you none of this is real and it has to end. Kinda sad,
>>
>>3768754
With the Oracle games, I remember the commercial hype more than the games themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCWgLBR_N-A
>>
File: 6855486465_5d7ac7a4d1_o.jpg (397KB, 1135x1707px) Image search: [Google]
6855486465_5d7ac7a4d1_o.jpg
397KB, 1135x1707px
>>3767785
Interesting. Found some unused concept art of Nayru. Instead of the Harp of Ages, she was suppose to have a Magic Paintbrush to make use of the GameBoy color.

There's also art of her with a Sitar and Harp. And Farore only had one drawing, which kinda tells you the stage of development they were at when they scrapped the trilogy.
>>
>>3767810
>the Animal Companions
Those things were so lame.
>>
>>3768680
>the same game
>>
>>3768842
>>
I always considered Oracle Link to be the same link as Awakening's and AlttP.

Timeline was AlttP>Oracles (I think Ages goes before Seasons, not sure what's the official order) > Awakening, wish I could remember what was the reasoning behind it as I had some good arguments back in the day but totally forgot them over the years.

>>3768741
I agree, fuck the official timeline, I like my personal timeline the most.
>>
File: timeline.png (4MB, 1132x1600px) Image search: [Google]
timeline.png
4MB, 1132x1600px
>>3768882
>>
File: oracles-eshop.jpg (24KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
oracles-eshop.jpg
24KB, 530x298px
So I'm replaying Oracle of seasons now, And I'm confused.

Everything says Din, Nayru, and Farore are the "oracles"

But it seems like the Maku trees are the real oracles. I mean, they give you hints about where to go next through their dreams. It's even part of the Logo along with the Mystical Seed the trees produce once you've collected all the essences.

Actually, looking at the Japanese titles now,
Seasons is called The Legend of Zelda: Nut of the Mysterious Tree
Ages is called The Legend of Zelda: Fruit of the Mysterious Tree
so if there was a 3rd game. You'd think it would be along the lines of - idk - The Legend of Zelda: Berry of the the Mysterious Tree. I can see how Berries and a painting mechanic would work together.
>>
>>3768756
shit this is a great commercial

>>3768870
is this from awkward zombie?

>>3769828
>deepest lore
>>
Well it's good to know we were saved from a third boring-ass GBC Zelda.
>>
>>3769993
>is this from awkward zombie?

Judging by the filename, no.
Really similar artstyle though.
>>
>>3770016
I'm just thankful whoever localized the titles didn't go with Nut and Fruit title. That just sounds super lame.
>>
>>3768640

The font used for 'Hours' in the logo ought to have made that obvious.
>>
>>3767895
>That's because LA set the bar for handheld Zeldas and both Oracles weren't even close to reaching it.
You're right. They surpassed it.
>>
>>3767785
>This was eventually scrapped and used for a bit of Link's Awakening DX instead
That's wrong, but everything else is correct.
>>
>>3767797
They actually are.

I say it whenever someone asks.
>>
>>3769993
>>3769828
>>3768640
>>3768639
>>3767871
>>3767785
With Pokemon GO having succeeded and the breakaway hit that was PKMN Sun&Moon(saw what you did there), You could finally do Farore's story in the graphical style of that day. The Mask of Majora would fill the role Farore did in those games. Or maybe...some other pixie-ish weirdos...

Yes hi Nintendo, guess who, just steal this why don't you? Whitu deviru apploved.

>DANGER DANGER
>HIGH VOLTAGE
>WHEN WE TOUCH
>WHEN WE KISS
>>
>>3767797
>>3767895
Ages is definitely my favorite. I like the LA art style, but the gameplay has more substance.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.