[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favourite old CPU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: Am386DX-40.jpg (390KB, 1182x957px) Image search: [Google]
Am386DX-40.jpg
390KB, 1182x957px
PC retro gamers, what is your favourite/memorable old CPU? Mine is 386DX, 40 Mhz, made for my first encounter with a PC and computer games. Also the fastest 386 processor.
>>
IBM 486 SL/2 66. first processor that i played Wolfenstein 3D and Doom on.
>>
File: zYGrhvb.jpg (195KB, 1366x745px) Image search: [Google]
zYGrhvb.jpg
195KB, 1366x745px
>>3767728
> bender_6502.png
>>
If Motorloa would still make PC CPU's how would they be?
>>
>>
>>3767728
Do SNES enhancement co-processors count? Always found the FX chip to be pretty neat. Did some crazy stuff in Yoshi's island for sure.
>>
>>3767790
Yes, hell, even name graphics cards if you like.
>>
>>3767728
Pentium II 450 mhz because the leap from my old Pentium 1 120mhz was enormous.
>>
>>3767728
AMD K6-2 and the G3 PowerPC. Also loved the PIII CPUs.
>>
File: notorious.jpg (109KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
notorious.jpg
109KB, 750x600px
>>3767770
They would be notorious for their high performance!

The basic one would be something like either a coldfire with just the few omitted 68k instructions reimplemented, which would likely make the laptop+nettop version run maybe 2 to 5 times as hot while possibly having twice or so the clock speed, while a more desktop designated version would a be few times hotter/faster. Or maybe it would be a 68060 made with coldfire level refinements, which might just have a higher bottom clock speed, which again might have a hotter version which would actually be pretty powerful.

And the more special CPU, one for PPC accelerator boards, though not necessarily placed on a separate board, would be sort of like a wii U cpu, though probably not with 3 cores, or like a 2 or 3 times better classic mac mini CPU.

A PPC chip for a laptop or nettop would be much like the previous thing. A PPC chip that's flat out for desktops would be quite beefy, capable of handling BSNES and other stuff like that.
>>
>>3767728
My only two retro PCs I still have are both from 1999 (barely /vr/). My desktop has an Athlon 550 MHz, and the laptop is a Pentium II at 366 MHz.

>>3767856
K6-2 was a very good value for money chip. AMD has always been a good value for gamers but the K6 was the first that could actually beat Intel. That, and it was a good upgrade since it gave Pentium II (and above) performance to Socket 7 boards that otherwise only could use a Pentium MMX, or worse, the Cyrix and other no-name processors.
>>
mine are the motorola 68000 family and the 6502 family
>>
>>3767728
Celeron 333. Cheap, in spite of being from intel, yet you could pair it with trusty BX boards, and not massively gimped either. I did my first PC assembly with one.

Also, huge honourable mention for the rise MP6 chips, because they've kept on selling them to current times more or less unchanged.
>>
>>3767939
>Pentium II (and above) performance

Absolutely not, the K6-2 and K6-3 were practically a K6 with higher clocks

They were very weak with floating point operations, meaning the performance for games and 3D in general was nowhere near a Pentium II, let alone anything better.

They were great upgrades for people with Socket 7... to some extent, mothers that weren't Super 7 could not even take full advantage of them, to mention something my 430VX could not reach 300Mhz using the maximum multiplier and fsb, not to mention that the K6-2 used less voltage than this old socket 7 motherboards usually supported.

It was still much cheaper to get a Super 7 mb and a K6-2 than a Pentium II/III.
>>
File: w65c816.jpg (24KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
w65c816.jpg
24KB, 220x220px
This seems appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

65816 for me. It's got a quirky, but pleasant, architecture and instruction set. And it's a code-compatible with the 6502.
>>
>>3767728
I went from a Commodore 128 to a 386DX-40. When I got a 486DX2-66 a couple of years later, I used the 386 to run a single line Wildcat! BBS until 1997.
>>
>>3767939
Mmmm dem Cyrix CPUs. I remember at different times have a Compaq given to me that always had the Cyrix CPUs. For some reason I always liked them besides for the lack of an AGP slot. At the times I got them, they were ok as Win98 and Win2k machines after I jammed enough ram into them.
>>
Pentium III Tualatin

The CPU so good that Intel tried to discourage people from buying them lest the masses find out it was better than Pentium IV
>>
my 486DX4/100, I was so happy to get that 100 mhz display on my case.
>>
File: motorola-MC68000P10-2.jpg (45KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
motorola-MC68000P10-2.jpg
45KB, 800x600px
m68k till death does us part
>>
>>3767856
mah nigga, the PowerPC to me always meant speed since it was always a step ahead of x86 in terms of performance
>>
>>3768168
The new instructions were shit, like MMX.

But like the Pentium MMX, it also expanded cache, much more. So hardly just a K6.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.