[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRPG grid mapping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: serveimage.jpg (159KB, 1341x663px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
159KB, 1341x663px
For the older games without automaps, use software or map it out by hand?
>>
>>3767501
Memorize it.

But if you want a good lightweight mapping tool then look here, you can even download it for offline use: http://www.oldgames.sk/dungeon-mapper/
>>
So far I've used paper.
>>
>>3767569
Looks indeed cool.
But where is the downloadlink for offline? Looks webonly for me.
>>
>>3767628
Somewhere on the site, I don't remember desu, been a while. But here's a reupload because this is /vr/ and we're supposed to like each other and stuff
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z41a4fabt9wolyv
>>
graph paper
>>
>>3767569
>>3767628
>>3767659
http://www.oldgames.sk/dungeon-mapper/dungeonmapper.zip

still runs via HTML
>>
The free version of grid cartographer is pretty good.
>>
>>3767740
Offline html.
>>
>>3767659
>>3767740
thanks
>>
>Madly run about for a bit
>Attempt to map in head
>Consult strategy guide
>>
>>3767569
What kind of dungeons have you clear with memorization?
I can't imagine getting through something like Wizardry that way.
>>
>>3769353
Most I enjoy feature an automap (like the M&M series), but Wizardry 1&6, Dungeon Master 1&2 and Chaos Strikes Back, almost finished EOTB1 this way (a bug got me stuck without a key), don't remember whether Stonekeep had a map or not, but if not then it also would count.
>>
File: gridmap.jpg (807KB, 1403x1970px) Image search: [Google]
gridmap.jpg
807KB, 1403x1970px
There is something really fun about doing it by hand. It seems tedious, but drawing everything out, adding notes, and referring back to it like a real map instead of another window on the screen does add something to the experience. Also its really neat to look back on the maps you drew and remember the parts of the game.
>>
>>3769382
How do you figure out how to get home after hitting a teleporter or similar?
Knowing your fastest escape route is a key in these games.
>>
>>3767501
don't know what crpg is but it reminds me of a game me and my buds played back in the sixth grade. We used grids and drew our own maps to play on completing the entire dungeon and leveling up. Kinda expanded on it using multiple floors. Memories.
>>
>>3769471
Out of the mentioned, only Wizardry 1 has a problem with "getting home". The game is a bit special since you can skip like half of it without consequence, and the only mandatory section of the game that fucks with you is floor 3.
>>
>>3769463
It seems fun until
>whoops I made a mistake here
>and here
>better scribble all over that shit
>oops it's not legible anymore, better remake it from scratch
>well shit this part of the map extends beyond my grid paper
>>
>>3769539
You don't need to enter floor 3.
In the original you only have to visit floor 1,4,9 and 10.
In some of the ports you have to go floor 2 too for a key before you an enter the dark area with the elevator in floor 1 from the front way but you can also use the long route instead.

Actually it's also feasable to grind Murphy's Ghost until you can cast Malor in this case you only have to visit floor 1,9 and 10.
>>
>>3769685
Not sure if I remember right, but wasn't floor 4 in the original basically separated into two areas, one with the blue ribbon accessible from 1, and the other that takes you to 9? Or was that just one of the remakes?
>>
>>3769732
You're mixing stuff up.
You get the blue ribbon on floor 4 after clearing the control center. The ribbon allows you to access the elevator to the lower levels.

You can get to the lower levels via stairs but the elevator makes things a lot more manageable.
You can in theory restrict the game to small portions of floor 1,4 and 9 but it's hardly obvious.
The other areas may not have critical items but there's loot and experience not just for your party but for yourself. If you're going to skip everything you may as well skip the game in its entirety.
>>
Usually I just memorize levels as I go...

Played Swords and Serpents on the NES recently and had to map some of the later levels. Just became a clusterfuck of fake walls, necessary Passwall casts, and monster traps that you seriously needed to mark because 8 enemy wizards would rape your shit with up to a hundred turns before you even get a single command. Used a pencil and paper since it was just a partial map, didn't care about 100% exploration.
>>
>>3767501
I check gamefaqs. If it's popular enough, some faggot will map it for me!
>>
>>3769759
Yeah, but from what I can recall the area of level 4 that contains the ribbon (and is accessible by elevator) is completely separated from the one accessible by staircase (which contains the second elevator). Or maybe there was a one-way door that I missed somewhere
>>
File: map1-04.gif (30KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
map1-04.gif
30KB, 560x560px
>>3771201
That's correct.
>>
>>3767501
spreadsheet
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.