[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't the romhacking community fixed this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: MK-64.jpg (256KB, 2000x1179px) Image search: [Google]
MK-64.jpg
256KB, 2000x1179px
Why hasn't the romhacking community fixed this game?
>>
>>3766908

You do it.
>>
>>3766908

because the game has to many flaws to the core. Dont get me wrong, it was a fun game for the time it was released, but you look back now, and you notices how much it sucks.
>>
>>3766908
so whats wrong with it
>>
>>3766925
i can think of several things.

>CPU player not getting access to certain weapons
>CPU absurd speed advantage
>the speeding up of certain tracks (ie DK's Jungle Parkway)

I also think that there could be some improvements, like for example 4 player games could only be vs one another, perhaps it could be altered so a full grid played along as well

And how about some CPU enemies in battle mode?
>>
>>3766972
Some of that has to do with the N64's limitations, you know that, right?
>>
>>3767021
of course i know that, but it doesn't mean that it cant be fixed in a romhack/emulation

several super mario 64 hacks for example do some crazy, crazy shit. even exceed the original rom size and all of that. surely the same thing can be applied to mario kart 64?
>>
>>3766918
You'll have to explain that.
>>
>>3766972
>>CPU absurd speed advantage
If you can't consistently beat the cpu in this game and get first place u are seriously retarded. Though that surprises me not considering I'm on the most casual fuckhole of 4chan that always blames its lack of ability on game design.

Also I'm sorry you never had any friends m8.
>>
>>3766972
>>CPU player not getting access to certain weapons
True, also certain items will only appear depending on your position, but that might be not entirely bad.
>>CPU absurd speed advantage
Nigga, beatingthe CPU is very easy, do you even mini turbo?
>>the speeding up of certain tracks (ie DK's Jungle Parkway)
What do you mean?
>>
>>3767092

>Also I'm sorry you never had any friends m8.

>like for example 4 player games could only be vs one another, perhaps it could be altered so a full grid played along as well

clearly i've stated that i've been playing along with my friends, i just thought it would also be fun if the whole grid was racing too.

but i know 'fun' is a dangerous word around these parts
>>
>>3767095
oh i dont have a problem beating the CPU, i guess i just meant that its fucking strange how you could be smashing the track and all of a sudden some yoshi cunt you levelled with a shell 10 seconds ago is just passing on through past you. but hey, i guess that kind of makes the game more challenging right?

by the speeding up of certain tracks im referring to the frame rate being piss-poor and it feels like the console tries to compensate for it, so the track feels really fast. its just a strange feeling. not sure if i'm explaining myself right
>>
File: MvC2_Cover.png (347KB, 300x420px) Image search: [Google]
MvC2_Cover.png
347KB, 300x420px
>we can modify the songs
>we can modify the palettes (dat mango sentinel was a custom palette)
>we can rip the sprites
>we can't buff the 50 or so characters that are shit in this game
>>
>>3767095
back in my day we called it power sliding
>>
File: 1478545222222.gif (144KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
1478545222222.gif
144KB, 300x375px
>There is actually somebody in the world who has lost to the CPU in Mario Kart 64 enough times that he's convinced himself the game's broken

This is just upsetting desu senpai. I was destroying the AI when I was 6 and I could probably place 1st on all the 150cc Mirror tracks with my eyes closed now. The only 'problem' I've ever noticed is the music not playing in multiplayer, certainly nothing that should make you play worse.
>>
>>3767061
>Bad Tracks
>Mediocre Music
>Sub Par Multiplayer
>Prone to many glitches
>Awful Control Scheme
Shall I go on?
>>
how could anyone not notice that some tracks are faster than others?
>>
File: 1484237853214.png (210KB, 419x398px) Image search: [Google]
1484237853214.png
210KB, 419x398px
>>3766972
Get friends.
>>
>>3767257

Not him, but back in the day, the only widespread Nintendo mag that circulated our country, covered this game extensively for about 2 months IIRC, and called these "mini-turbos."I personally still call them that to this day.

It wasn't really until Double Dash that I saw in the booklet that they were called Power Sliding or Power Drifting.
>>
>>3767257
>>3768084

It was called Mini-turbo in the game manual.
>>
>>3766908
Why bother? It was good, but hardly the best kart racer of it's generation. CTR stands out as the best to me, which is funny as the Crash Bandicoot series was generally very boring and linear compared to SM64. Street Racer for the PS1 was a glorified SNES game, but it supported 8 player splitscreen at 60fps with a full grid of racers.
>>
>>3768143
I prefer the simplicity of the Mario Kart 64 circuits (that resemble actual karting loops) rather than the less uniform and more open ended "adventure" tracks on games like CTR or DKR. I also personally like the controls of MK64 more than the other two.
The reality is that they're all great and yeah, CTR really nailed it unlike the main Crash games.
The deciding factor is which one did you personally enjoy more as a kid, I played all three and I liked MK64 the most, by far, same with all my friends/cousins.
CTR was alright especially because it was on PS1 (which I owned), and I tried DKR and liked it the least.
>>
>>3768143
>>3768157
I find CTR in proverbial no mans land.

If you want multiplayer you play MK64.
If you want single player you play DKR.

CTR is a jack of all trades, master of none.
>>
>>3767174
>altering a fighting game ever

Good luck with that, even if someone could somehow make proper balances no one would want to touch it because it is not the game they've been playing for over a decade.
>>
>>3766908
Its old as fuck.
>>
>>3766908
the only changes I would make, if I had the skills, would be

>enable music in 3-4 player splitscreen
>recreate SNES MK tracks somehow
>force 8 racers in 3-4 player splitscreen
>4 player GP with 8 racers
>>
Too busy making dumb texture hacks of Mario 64 and unfair difficulty hacks in platformers.
>>
Am I crazy or does skyscraper feel almost impossible in battle mode

cant see shit in 4p multiplayer and the track is so anrrow in the outer ring
>>
>>3766908
Because most Mario Kart fans just play the newer ones.

If it had a level editor like F-zero X's expansion, it might have had some rom hacks.
>>
>>3768314
It's just because so few people can 'git gud' at drift-boosting in CTR on their first play.
>>
>>3770320
the same can be said for the other karting games.
Also, I thought ctr's turbo was the easiest to pull off
>>
>>3766908
>N64 is tricky to emulate and thus not as popular as games for older/simpler systems.
>More modern games means more resources and code, and thus more time needed to work on a hack.
>The smaller hacking scene for the N64 means hacking of many of these games is not well documented.

We're still in the SNES/Genesis age of romhacks man, we're just not there yet.
>>
>>3770374

This and what there is of a Mario Kart hacking scene is entirely based on Mario Kart Wii, there's a bunch of track packs released for it. If you're wondering why you haven't heard of it, it's because on a custom track local multiplayer crashes the fucking game.
>>
File: 1485677002601.jpg (64KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1485677002601.jpg
64KB, 512x512px
>>3767061
Don't believe them, MK64 is best MK.

That being said
>ITT : People who don't know the difference between graphics hacks, level hacks, and engine hacks, aka, idea guys.
>>
>>3770480

>MK64 is best MK.

The SNES MK is better in every aspect.
>>
>>3770485
Except the movement and control.

You can say that it "fits" its style, but every other MK game is better in that regard.
>>
>>3770485
The only downgrades from SNES to 64 are as follows
1) No Koopa Troopa
2) No feather
3) Bad Rainbow Road (SNES was the only good one in history)

Other than that 4-player MK64 with near-japanese-level friends always gets out of hand. The physics have some quirks, but you learn what you can get away with and which polygons to stay away from in time. Power slides were perfect in this game, but ruined so many N64 controllers.
>>
What was up with how 3 or so CPUs would always be better than the rest while 2 were just dogshit?
>>
>>3767095
>>>the speeding up of certain tracks (ie DK's Jungle Parkway)
>What do you mean?

I think this is a PAL-specific thing. Where the game gets "overclocked" when there are 4 simultaneous player and on certain tracks/mode.
>>
Because hardcore Mario Kart players don't play Mario Kart 64, they play Super Mario Kart.

SMK still holds world championship, of 3 different categories.

They also make lot's of romhacks for the game.

>>3770513
Doesn't sound like you've played either game enough to be able to really tell the differences on how both play, you only list things which are on the surface. To be fair, I don't think many (if any) people on this board has.

Asking about "romhacking" is asking about Mario kart fans that are very highly dedicated, so like I said, those concentrate their efforts on SMK.
>>
>>3770882
No 4 player tho
Not a problem for me since I don't have a lot of friends
>>
>>3766908
I never cared for the controls of this game. The karts felt super slippery after playing the original Mario Kart for so long. Turning left makes you swing out to the right so much and vise-versa, it make dodging things un-intuitive. I never owned it and only played it over friends' houses, and once I was older, I never felt the need to go back to it.
>>
>>3768084
"power sliding" or "drifting" is the act of sliding around the corner. The little speed boost that you get when you break out of the drift is a "mini-turbo". How is this hard to understand?
>>
>>3770480
Truth.

SMK is bland, but was fun when I was a kid. DD is still fun, but a bit over the top. MK64 is the sweet spot.
>>
File: intothetrashitgoes.png (464KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
intothetrashitgoes.png
464KB, 600x600px
>>3767042
>hacks not playable on real hardware
>>
>>3770882
Your argument for SNES being a better game is that it is more popular.

I think it's obvious who hasn't played the games, tripfag.
>>
>>3771286
Who's talking about the quality of the game and who's the tripfag?

Certainly not I.
>>
>>3767174
One of those involves thoroughly analyzing and modifying code. The others don't.
>>
>>3766908
It's broken beyond repair.
>>
>>3771562
How so?
>>
>>3766908
There's no reason to play any Mario Fart when F-Zero X and F-Zero GX exist, anon.
>>
>>3770485
The snes MK has flat courses, where is the fun in that?
>>
>>3766908

There be a few code tweaks here:

http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/N64/MarioKart64/Patches.html
>>
I just want a hack that allows bgm on 3-4 player races.
>>
>>3770513
>3) Bad Rainbow Road (SNES was the only good one in history)

Super Circuit's is better
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.