[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Earthbound fucking sucks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

File: m2cart.jpg (15KB, 371x258px) Image search: [Google]
m2cart.jpg
15KB, 371x258px
No, this isn't a troll thread. Earthbound is legitimately a shitty game. I'm playing it for the first time right now and can't believe it was memed hard enough to be considered the best game ever made by normalfags.
This game has awful gameplay. Repetitive and boring, all you do is go from identical location to identical location and fight the enemies in a shitty slow battle system.
The battles are crap, you just smash A until you kill one enemy or another but you're being hit for a third of your HP most of the time. And of course you can combat that by grinding but the fact that you are forced to grind on the easy enemies in towns is ridiculous. Any game designed around grinding is bad.
You can barely run from any fight as it takes 5 turns to be able to run, at which point you're almost dead. Oh, and don't forget that 40%-50% of all of your attacks will miss, and that you can only hold 12 items per character, but 4 of those slots are taken up by armor and weapons for each character, and then you're forced to hold things like the Stone, ATM Card and Phone.
Meanwhile the overworld is patrolled by stupidly high spawn rate enemies that all move much faster than you, so they're impossible to avoid to begin with. Add to that the slow speed at which the battles move and the fact that most aspects of the battle text are never explained to you, it makes for a wholly frustrating and tedious experience.
Yeah, I suppose the music is pretty nice, and even though the spritework is NES-tier the colors make it look very nice, but that doesn't save the game from recycling the same 12 or so environments over and over again.
Is this game only famous because of the le quirky story where you fight hippies and play as a dog?
TL;DR, Earthbound is badly designed and based on shitty RNG mechanics that are far too skewed in the game's favor.
>>
>>3766034

>Earthbound sucks because it's too hard

somebody needs to git gud
>>
>>3766034
Sorry that losing makes you feel bad, feeling bad is actually a good thing, can mods plz change the OP's font to Mr Saturns font?
>>
>>3766034
Cool blog. Where can I go to like & subscribe it?
>>
>Running from fights.

Beat their asses instead of spamming the run option like you should be, pussy.
>>
>>3766042
>>3766052
The game isn't actually difficult you fucking mongoloids. The game is broken shit. Movement and battles are too slow, the actual battle mechanics are never even vaguely described outside of luck, and the RNG system doesn't allow you to do anything effectively.
Plus the fact that it's a literal grindfest everytime you advance to a new area, I don't understand how people enjoy it. Chrono Trigger, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, Super Mario RPG, Mana and pretty much any other truly great SNES RPG didn't require you to grind to be able to advance in the game, and that was a big reason they were so good.
>>
>>3766060
>the actual battle mechanics are never even vaguely described outside of luck
What are you talking about? The stats? Guts, Luck, IQ? IIRC, there's a mole on Twoson that tells you about the Guts stat. As for the IQ, only Jeff uses it, since the higher the IQ, the more items he can repair.

Or were you talking about mechanics like "Mirror" and "Pray"? You actually need an explanation of those? You can use it one time and see what they do.

>it's a literal grindfest everytime you advance to a new area
You only need to grind to lvl 8 before fighting Frank. Then, you literally do not need to grind ever again. The foes you encounter on your way are enough.
>>
>>3766072
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Report and hide this thread.
>>
>>3766060
The fuck are you talking about, shitter? FFIV has way more dangerous enemies and even less ways to handle them than Earthbound does. Stop playing the easy mode US release.
>>
i agree with op, the game is just boring, and plenty of games in the same genre are much better, such as chrono trigger
Earthbound is just overrated
>>
>complains about grinding

play in an emulator
find a nice spot to grind
turn on frame skipper
10 minutes later

viola
>>
>>3766034
Niggra you just described every Jayperguer ever.
>>
>>3766481
That's just cheating, might as well slap some infinite health and gold codes while you're at it
>>
What I'm getting is that you just don't like RPGs.
>>
>>3766060
>Earthbound
>grind
u focking wot? Hell, I even abused despawning enemies offscreen because I didn't feel like fighting them and still never had to grind throughout the game.
>>
>>3766034
>it was memed hard enough to be considered the best game ever made by normalfags.
Do you care what normalfags think?
>>
>shitty NES level graphics
>shitty repetitive battle system with as much depth as pokemon
>grindfest
>le quirky characters and "humor"

This game is nothing special and the only thing that makes it stand out at all is the quirky story that appeals to hipsters. If you judge the game on its game play it is pure garbage.
>>
Literally "Reddit: the Game."
>>
File: 1c0858769c6df0621a23c10e41b584ff.jpg (120KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1c0858769c6df0621a23c10e41b584ff.jpg
120KB, 1024x768px
>>3766870
Your post just made my brain explode.
>>
game got big because smash bros
it's fuckin stupid desu
>LEL SO QUIRKY HUMOR
>>
>>3766884

Fuck off Gretel.
>>
>>3766485
>fast forward so you don't die of bordom is cheating
so you sit through the battle report animation every time in every game?

sucks to be you.

also fast forwarding is nothing like gamesharking your money to max or setting your health to non-zero permanently.
>>
>>3766929
Why play games at all? You have to sit through animations and things that take effort, why not just skip everything?
>>
>>3766930
this isn't a philosophy class, im asking why you waste your own time. your percieved notion of playing the game right is only hindering yourself, no one is going to bitchslap you for winding forward through the XP screen.
>>
>be me
>talk to people
>learn from world
>sit down and grind a bit before bosses
>beat game

Its the simplest game ever, youre not supposed to min max the shit out of it you just go and... enjoy the journey.

Its kind of like the kind of adventures youd make up with your friends in your head while you walked around in circles in the backyard, travelling to strange lands or whatever. Its not supposed to be about the "gameplay" mechanically but the overall experience of it.
>>
>>3766932
Time management is a big part of what makes Jayperguers challenging, you take that away and not much else is left.
>>
Reminder that if you think Mother's gameplay sucks, it's like saying Dragon Quest sucks.
Nobody will take you seriously.
You jut hate it because it's a popular game with hipsters and collectors.
>>
>>3767004
>Reminder that if you think Mother's gameplay sucks, it's like saying Dragon Quest sucks.
>This is somehow an invalid complaint
>>
>>3767020
It's a very subjective complaint, and given how Dragon Quest has many fans (precisely because the gameplay remained the same basic turn-based combat since the first day), it's not something a lot of people will agree with.

Like, it's fine if you don't like traditional turn based combat, but don't pretend everyone to agree with your special snowflake pov.
And again, most likely the main beef with anti-motherfags is the fact Mother (especially Earthbound) is popular with hipsters and nerds.
Look at Dragon Quest threads, they're civil. Why is there no Dragon Quest haters/shitposters? Because no Dragon Quest entry is a "status symbol" for collectors and hipsters like EB is in America.
In Japan you can get Mother 2 for like 10 or 20 bucks though, it's a very common and popular game since the 90s.
>>
>>3767028
>and nerds
I meant to say collectors, dunno why I said nerds.
We're all nerds.
>>
File: pds.jpg (570KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pds.jpg
570KB, 1024x768px
earthbound is bad but for none of the reason OP describes. OP is a faggot. Mediocre combat and underutilized game play mechanics make it a bore to play, there is challenge if you don't grind, but you'll naturally grind in a sense that standard progression through the game will level you more than sufficiently for the challenge to wear off by the time you complete Twoson. The story is all over the place, it presents its theme of friendship, closeness, family and parental love especially well at times, but much of the game neglects it in favor of weird things for no reason. There are the moments where the antithesis of these ideas is present, mostly in the towns that are under giygas' control, but they rarely express themselves in consistent, clear means. More like very basic means and I wouldn't shy away from attributing this to the translation by NoA - maybe the Japanese original better portrays intent.

As far as the story gimmick that you, the player, end up saving your friends, that works in favor of the story but I can think of one game that did a similar idea far better.
>>
>>3767032
Both Earthbound and PDS are status symbols for collectors, so you might be onto something.
I like both, but I'd never pay the prices they ask for western copies.Luckily I can read moon, mother 2 and Azel > Earthbound and PDS

And yeah, the original japanese is better than the NoA translation.
>>
>>3767059
I know a little Japanese, enough to hold a conversation in person for a little bit - been practicing for a few years and the translation in PDS is pretty much perfect from what I can tell. I think Sega did a tremendous job apart from two typo/script errors I recall seeing, but otherwise it was perfect.
>>
>>3767028
>precisely because the gameplay remained the same basic turn-based combat since the first day

or, you know, because of toriyama's artwork
>>
>>3766034
holy shit you're actually complaining about EB's difficulty?
>>
>>3767069
My main issue with Earthbound's translation is that they changed the name of the bar owner (as well as changing "bar" to "cafe").
In the original japanese it's Borges' bar (probably a reference to Jorge Luis Borges, coming from Itoi), in EB they changed his name to Jackie.
>>
>>3767032
This. I hate braindead Motherfags as much as the next guy (hence why I stopped browsing HG101 after they posted their pretentious Mother retrospective where they basically gave Shigesato Itoi a fellatio), but Mother 2 is not even that hard. Only took me a week to clear it.

I don't even hate the actual games themselves, just the obsessive fanbase surrounding it.
>>
>>3766034
I had the same experience OP.

I had never played the originally. Started retro about a couple of years ago. Tried this game because it was so widely recommended as a great game.

I thought it sucked and couldn't play longer than an hour.
>>
I'm convinced most of the shitters who feel compelled to tell everyone how much they dislike Earthbound's gameplay never bothered to use consumables early on.
>>
>>3766929
It's not cheating but it's not what was intended to happen when kids in 1995 played EB on SNES. So the claim that the game is slow and grindy is valid because no one could fast forward their SNES
>>
OP here, for everyone saying I need to git gud, it's not my problem.
I haven't had a hitch in the game at all. I use my healing items and PSI to stay alive in battle but it's simply a frustrating experience when I can't land a hit but the enemies are inflicting colds on me.
Yeah, I know there's medicine and PSI healing but half the time I need PSI Gaming to land a hit and I can't exactly carry medicine when 2/3 of my inventory is full of armor and key items.
In fact, I didn't die once until I rescued Paula and went into Lilliput Steps, where she kept dying due to having terrible defense.
So yeah, I do have to grind if I want Paula to be decent at all, and I just find the battle mechanics so underutilized that it's irritating.
The game itself is easy and has a nice atmosphere.
>>
>>3767080
Don't blame the site, blame the writer.
There're lots of good authors there.
>>
more like: trashbound
>>
It's a pretty fun game. There weren't a ton of JRPGs set in modern times back then, and most of the ones that were never made it to English-speaking audiences, so it was a breath of fresh air. Either way, if you seriously find it challenging you're probably actually retarded, the only time you're anywhere near "forced" to grind is at the very start so you can beat Freddy without getting fucked, and even that fight is very doable at low levels.
>>
>>3767073
forced grind =/= difficulty

lmao
>>
>>3767529
>le

You need to go back, even if you do it ironically.
>>
>>3767071
Or Sugiyama's soundtrack.

the thing is, Dragon Quest has the same gameplay as Mother, but why is it that retards like OP only complain about Mother?

I can imagine it's the first time they play a turn-based RPG, otherwise I don't get it.
It happens too often.

I blame the hipsters for exposing EB to normies and kids way more than it needs to.
>>
>>3766034
Gameplay is pretty bad (what jrpg has good gameplay tho?) But it's a very funny game to me
>>
>>3767602
nice meme dude, better spout that instead of articulating your point
>>
>>3767608
chrono trigger, ff6, ff7

>>3767605
dragonquest is mainly played by japs and isn't dickrode to infinity like trashbound
>>
>>3767613
So you are implying Dragon Quest is bad?
It's not about being objectively right or wrong, it's about subjectivity. You hate turn based RPGs, is that it?
Also, seriously, stop using that shitty "le" meme it's outdated, and it never belonged here.

>>3767616
>dragonquest is mainly played by japs
And?
Also no, my first Dragon Quest (warrior) I played back in 1991, and I'm not a jap.

>and isn't dickrode to infinity like trashbound
.. the what now?
>>
>>3766034
I agree OP, however you have to realize that fans of these type of games literally only care about the story.
>>
>>3766034
First time playing a jrpg huh.
>>
>>3767605
OP probably didn't even consider playing DQ or one of its clones before Earthbound
>>
I don't like it either, but some people do, and that's okay, because people like different things.

I'm more interested in why nobody talked about this game when it was released but now it's suddenly some holy grail.
>>
>>3767137
Iwant seems like a pretentious dope, but it's not like Kurt himself is any better lately.
>>
>>3767801
>now

Earthbound has been popular in the west for a while now. In Japan it was always fairly popular.
In fact, in the west EB has gone full circle, hipsters now hate EB because it's probably too mainstream/normie.
>>
>>3767801
Smash bros made people find out about it.
>>
Yes Op, it's pretty bad.

Instead play some Suikoden or SaGa. Those are better.
>>
>>3767626
I like turn based RPGs. Stop using the "you need to go back meme, it was never funny and is outdated.
>>
>>3766067
Actually, IQ is used by all characters, and it influences how much PP you have; think IV's in Pokemon. Vitality is the same, except it influences HP.
>>
File: 1483227823547.jpg (287KB, 1280x732px) Image search: [Google]
1483227823547.jpg
287KB, 1280x732px
>>3766963
^THIS^
The atmosphere in all the games is fucking amazing
>>
>>3768023
At least the "you need to go back" meme is from 4chan, unlike "le".
>>
>>3768054
>what is irony?
>what does it mean to mock someone?
>>
>>3768071
>I-I was just pretending
>>
>>3766034
>I suppose the music is pretty nice
That's because it's literally stolen.
>>
>>3768087
the only people that use this meme are people who are mad they have autism and can't understand irony
>>
>>3768108
>game uses a few samples from popular songs in a tongue-in-cheek way
>THE WHOLE SOUNDTRACK IS STOLEN!

I hate the internet sometimes.
>>
>>3768113
The worst thing is that most people wouldn't have noticed about said samples without the "did you know gaming" and similar. Since the people who actually noticed about it were the nerds over at starmen who research every inch of the game.
>>
>>3768108
Which songs are tracks like "onett", "twoson" or "threed" stolen from?
I'd like to hear the originals, if the ost was really literally stolen.
>>
>>3767126
The cold part is the most annoying part of the game when you only have Ness. You don't need to grind too much with Paula when you first get her. 30 mins should be fine and then kill the boss.
>>
File: 1039203914.png (82KB, 1879x541px) Image search: [Google]
1039203914.png
82KB, 1879x541px
These threads suck.
>>
>>3767028
>Because no Dragon Quest entry is a "status symbol" for collectors and hipsters like EB is in America.

Its not? Not that I disagree with the gist what you are saying but I can't find a loose copy of DW 4 on Nes for less than $80.
>>
>>3767873
I should have clarified, I meant in the last six years or so.
>>
>>3766034
A lot of what you said is flat out wrong.
It has its flaws but it's a good game and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Combat can be interesting.
The world is pretty diverse.
I don't recall grinding.
The graphics are adequate.
Of course the music is great.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.