[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on scalpers /vr/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: axkqbiU.png (726KB, 520x690px) Image search: [Google]
axkqbiU.png
726KB, 520x690px
are they really such a problem for retro gaming?
>>
>>3765751
Dumb question gets dumb answer.
HURR NO
>>
Yes. Increased supply isn't even reducing prices of games. It's cancer. Hope this helped.
>>
>scalping
>for retro gaming

How does that even work?

The closest thing I could imagine to this would be if somebody bought out every copy of a game under a certain price to artificially decrease supply.
>>
>Redpill

shut the fuck up you literal autist
>>
Why do people just use redpill for everything now?

It doesn't even make fucking sense.

Redpill means "tell me the truth"

But in this case, tell you the truth about scalpers is meaningless. What the fuck does the truth about them have to do with anything?
>>
>>3765805
blame /pol/
>>
>>3765798
this

MEEMS XDDDD
>>
Scalpers don't exist.
Supply and demand does.
>>
File: Cgrim42ustom Image.jpg (75KB, 509x621px) Image search: [Google]
Cgrim42ustom Image.jpg
75KB, 509x621px
You snooze you lose. We own the resell game.
>>
>>3765751
Retro games would be probably be more expensive without professional resellers assuming the demand was the same in this hypothetical scenario. There would be less retro games for sale causing inflated prices.

That said, it's stupid to consider because the resellers exist to meet the demand of the retro game buying base.

So, to "redpill" you on scalpers... They are a function of capitalism. If you are angry about them, you need to realize that they are doing what is expected of them in the economy, which is give people what they want while making a profit for themselves.

Some may have ethical qualms about retail arbitrage (buying a bunch of NES Classics from GameStop to resell on eBay)but this is almost no different from how most retailers operate. Go into a Wal-Mart and I guarantee I can source 40% of the products for you from China for 20% of the cost without any sort of negotiation.
Capitalism is designed to rip both consumers and workers off.

I say this as someone who runs a retail business (not games because I'm not an idiot). Capitalism sucks but it's the best humanity can handle right now.
>>
You can't really scalp something that isn't current...
>>
>>3765886
Is that fucking Grimsie? That dude is kind of a dick. Anyone else here waist their time watching Kosharsky streams?
>>
>>3765923
>What is Earthbound
>>
>>3765751
its bad because even if shit is put out digitally, like earthbound, the price doesn't fucking come down. the price SHOULD since all the people who just wanted to fucking PLAY the game now can for 10 fucking dollars.

but instead, the prices just sit, maybe slowly go down, but will never be at the levels they were from 2008 or earlier.
>>
>>3765903
no, fuck you

they are dealing in relics
something that is only effected in that market, nothing like a market crash will stop this shit because it will never happen

it would ONLY happen if we had an official influx of 100k copies of all rare games out there. prices would drop to nothing and we could get that EB cart for 10 cents again

fuck retro stores, how the fuck do they stay in business? i never see ANYONE buying shit from the stores, just trade ins and using credit to buy shit.
>>
gosh, if only there were a way to play every retro game ever in a convenient way in my computer so i wouldn't have to buy 20 year old games. i guess it's a pipe dream, oh well.
>>
>>3766082
your not scalping it at current ebay prices
you can't scalp it if its something you have X% chance to run into in the wild

there isn't some place that just has EB carts lower than ebay that you can scalp from unless you make repros. why not do that, you scalper faggots?

people are dumb enough, just do that? you want your money, there you fucking go! you FUCKING JEW SPIDERS!!!!!!!
>>
>>3766082
This is the closest thing to scalping that has ever happened with legit retro games but it still doesn't quite count, I don't think anyway.
>>
>>3765924
idk, i hate that florida guy who hangs with manlet sin. hes also an asshole reseller faggot.
>>
Just pirate the games and be done with it.
>>
>>3766234
You're being kind of aggro for someone who's ignorant but I'll still clue you in. There were tens of thousands of unsold copies of Earthbound sitting in warehouses that were bought up in their entirety by speculators at the beginning of the retro gaming bubble and trickled out to create a false scarcity.
>>
>>3765751
Yes and no.

The worst part of scalpers is that it's getting completely out of hand.

Things like Gravity Rush Remastered (I just had to get a Hong Kong copy like a chump, since I refused to pay over 4 times MSRP for an american one) and Nintendo Switch Preorders are getting scalped at this point.

People think they can make a quick buck.

People are going to ask what they're going to ask for games. You can choose to buy from them or not.

The people who are sitting on dozens of copies of games and waiting for someone to come in and buy 250 dollar earthbounds are just wasting their time. The way you profit in any kind of retail business is by having continuous cash flow. Sitting on inventory means your money is locked up, which means its not being used to source new product to sell.
>>
>>3766268
>getting anally annihilated because people other than you are participating in capitalism
>>
Vintage game collectors are cancer. I used a game trading site for a long time in my late teens and early 20s. They buy as low as possible and sell for eBay or higher prices and prey on unknowing sellers.
>>
>>3766268
They literally were working the stock market. They bought stock and then held it as the market changed.
>>
resellers != scalpers

There is a difference between something that you would be able to pick up in any store and buy today and something that has not been manufactured or sold brand new in years.

People that bought all the NES minis only to put them up on ebay for profit are scalpers.

People that resell retro games are not scalpers because you couldn't walk into a Walmart today and buy a copy of Super Metroid.
>>
>>3765903
I wonder who could be behind this post?
>>
>>3766242
proof of this?
>>
Buying collectables at low prices and selling them at a profit is literally how the antique industry works.
>>
>>3766242
Things that never happened, part 1.
>>
>>3765751
A serious non lib answer. It's about creating artificial supply. That's the main goal here. Once you have artificial supply you can make a profit. This can be done multiple ways by a single individual buying lots of stock or multiple individuals buying lots of stock together. Usually a combination of the two.

This is why you see when Nintendo announces something all the scalpers run and pre order all the supply available on the internet. This way they can control the supply and scalp it on ebay for profit. Mixed in is people that actually want the game also.

This happens with Retro game also. Anything that can be found and bought cheap is and then relisted for more on ebay. Aka scalping.

The other thing needed here is a place to scalp your shit with low chance of failure. A true free market is pretty difficult to scalp on because you have ridiculously high chance of failure on auctions. But ebay has free BiNs these days and even has guaranteed sale prices backed by ebay gift cards for certain items. You can lock in a price with little risk.
>>
For retro gaming no, we have emulators and flash carts
For retro collecting yes
>>
>>3766491
but muh jooz
>>
>>3766387
Lol I don't get it. It's like getting mad that the sky is still blue.
>>
File: madoff.jpg (105KB, 720x870px) Image search: [Google]
madoff.jpg
105KB, 720x870px
>>3765751
Is scalping ever not a problem?
>>
>>3766840
>>3766864
What do YOU guys think happened to the tens of thousands of copies of Earthbound that were produced but never sold? They sure ain't in that New Mexico landfill.
>>
Only thing I've noticed with scalping being an issue is with Nintendo stuff starting with the Wii U. Certain games are bought up and artificially jacked up soon after release. Doesn't happen with a major release like Smash, but it does happen with Bayonetta 2, those Wii Club or Sports games, Pikmin 3, etc. Amiibo were shit because of scalpers. It's already happening again with Switch preorders too. The only fix is when Nintendo reprints their games, but collectorfags and scalpers just increase the price of the original print and people buy that shit. There's no winning. From the people I've talked to who dabble in Wii U scalping, they basically think the system is the next Saturn or GameCube in terms of rarity and desirability.
>>
>>3769161
Cringe mode engaged. Keep that shit on >>>/pol/
>>
File: wildride.jpg (193KB, 796x1280px) Image search: [Google]
wildride.jpg
193KB, 796x1280px
Just the other day, I was told I am no longer welcome at my local thrift store. Why? Because I choose to stand my ground against a confirmed reseller.

Here's what happened:
I went to my favorite thrift, hoping to see/score something new and possibly good. I arrive and make my way to the case where they keep the electronics but I notice one of the women working there is already there helping someone, whatever. I get there just in time to see her setting a snes on top of the case, my eyes dart down to see a huge stack of snes games, and I see some of my favorites; mario world, castlevania 4, even a copy of sunset riders, holy shit.

I told the guy wow this is amazing, then asked if he was getting everything, he told me he indeed was, and with a big smile said he can't wait to get home and sell them and something about really needing the money. At that point I knew he was a filthly jewfag reseller piece of shit and I just lost it. I'm not a big man, about 5'9 and this guy was at least a couple of inches taller than me, but he wasn't really built and not expecting my sucker punch right to his jaw, I wasted no time jumping him as he fell and just kept laying into his face until he was just laying there shaking, there was quite a lot of blood, the poor girl was screaming; but I knew there was no point in trying to explain, resellers have corrupted this world to the point people like us are considered "bad guys", but I knew justice was served. I immediately took my leave after the incident, but upon returning a couple days later they had a piece of paper on the door with "INFORMATION WANTED" on the top and I'm pretty sure what was my photo below it. So, I'm not "formally" banned, per se, but I should probably find somewhere else to get games, what do you guys think?

Can you imagine how good life would be if we had our fundamental human right to physical video games?
>>
>>3765903
Found the scummy reseller
>>
For collectors yes, because it makes up a false supply/demand arguement.

You know what's incredibly common around where I live? Hagane, Megaman X2, and Dragon Warrior 3. Most local retro stores around here sold them for no more than $50. You know why? Because most people who collect around here had them already and those who didn't could find at least 3 copies at any of our 3 RGSs.

Ever go to a con and notice that every gaming booth has at least two copies of Earthbound, but insist that they have to sell it for $300 dollars?

It's because we assume that they HAVE to be hundreds of dollars because that's what eBay says. Rarity at this point as more to do with location than it does the actual total scarcity of the product. I live in the South, where they never sold the TurboGraphix 16. It's obvious that a TG-16 game goes for a shitton here, because its rare to ever see one. But if you demanded $700 for a TG-16 in NYC, you'd be laughed out of business.
>>
>>3770210
>what do you guys think?

You either made up that story or you got some serious anger issues. I'd advise you to seek help as soon as possible and take a break from collecting games.

Greetings, your anonymous armchair psychologist.
>>
File: CKY-dcwar games.gif (2MB, 260x188px) Image search: [Google]
CKY-dcwar games.gif
2MB, 260x188px
>>3765903
Sometimes I feel like a scummy reseller even though I haven't sold anything yet. If I'm at the flea market or thrift store and I see a game or console for cheap, even if I'm not gonna play it, I buy it.

I came across a ton of PS1 games all for a dollar apiece and some I wanted but I bought all of them because I knew they were worth decent money. Now I haven't sold them yet but I plan to but what was I supposed to do? Not buy them for a dollar when I can turn around and sell them for 15-20 bucks? Shit I just got a NES for 2 dollars and I already have 3 and one in the box all of which were free not including my original one from the 80's. Yes I got a free boxed NES when my neighbors bitch wife threw away all his stuff in the garbage and he never came back.

As for these aholes like this guy>>3765886
who buy up a ton of new stuff just to resell it right away like the NES classic, fuck um. Maybe I'm in the same boat but when I finally do sell off a bunch of my extra stuff I'm not going to ask top dollar but I'm not going to sell it for a dollar or two like I bought it for. Man's gotta eat.
>>
>>3770210
I've seen 2 resellers get into a fight over a box of NES games at the flea market. One dude is nice, even though he gets there at 3 fuckin am and beats everyone to the really good stuff by going around that early asking EVERY SINGLE seller if they have any video game stuff to sell. The other guy is a complete dickhead who buys games or old toys like legos and walks around with a barcode reader scanning every book and dvd/cd. He is even teaching his son and he walks around doing the same thing and giving people shit.

Anyway to make a short story long, these 2 guys started arguing because as the cool guy was looking through a box of games the asshole reached over him and grabbed the box so he could try and buy whatever was there first. When the cool guy was justifiably like WTF Man he started screaming and actually threw a punch at him. He whiffed like the blonde little manlet he is but since this flea market is basically a giant field with no security except one guy who goes around and collects the money from the vendors in the morning he got away with it but he is still a dick.
>>
>>3769095

Speculation means nothing without evidence.
>>
>>3765903

>Capitalism sucks but it's the best humanity can handle right now.

In the United States.
>>
>>3765860
"I have the entire supply and I DEMAND you pay $500 for it. $900 if you want more than the box."

This isn't supply and demand, faggot. It's scalping and price gouging.
>>
>>3773182
Top kek kid. The only thing you have the entire supply of are your boogers which are rare because you ate half of them.
>>
>>3771664
Retro games is a terrible market. You have to spend his awful amounts of time digging through CL ads and shit just to scrape buy.
I work 2 hours a day and earn easy 6 figures from. I have no interest in the retro market at all. I don't even buy games for myself.
>>
>>3766229

The float five years entirely in the black until they eventually choke on backstock, just like every comic and import shop ever.
>>
>>3765774
>Collector grabs hard to find game from some mom on craigslist.
>Relist it on ebay for 3x what it should be, even if they have no intention of selling it.
>Rich / stupid person on ebay buys the game. They probably didn't even browse the other auctions or have any knowlege of economics or availability of the game.
>Suddenly that game is priced too high forever. Sellers start increasing their prices.
>>
>>3773447
>i work two days a week at McD so can't afford games
FTFY
>>
>>3765751
Scalpers are confirmed assholes, buying all new gear just to sell it on at possibly twice the price (FE Fates Limited Edition here goes for around £150 ever since launch) is just a dick move

Resellers of retro gear aren't quite as assholely depending on what price they want for stuff, I don't mind paying someone a bit extra because he went around all the markets and such buying gear and cleaning it up etc.

If you want to play retro without having to pay scalp prices, emulate or get an everdrive
>>
>>3774045
Or you can do what I do and scrounge around, I find retro stuff all over the place and I never pay more than a few dollars, for games and consoles. I got a PS1 the other day for 3 dollars and it's nicer than the one I had already.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-01-19-11-30.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-01-19-11-30.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>3773770
Slow day today.
>>
>>3765751
im glad they exist because it means that i can pretty reliably buy limited run items that i missed either new or nearly new for a slightly higher price instead of buying damaged, dirty shit from normies
>>
>>3773114
>In the United States

so crony capitalism, then
>>
>>3774171
That's a lot of burgers
>>
>>3765751
Can /tv/ and /pol/ leave and fucking stay gone?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.