[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RETRO GAMING HABITS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

Lets get weird! Post your retro gaming habits and rituals you do to enjoy them.

>Look up a random movie/show/cartoon property from yester year
>download every retro game related to it and binge watch and play everything I find for a week or so
>Look up ancient discontinued promo websites and set the images to my desktop background
>Pretend to myself I'm back there during that time period getting the complete experience

Sometimes I can find related merchandise at a thrift store or a friend will dig something up and I will wear it depending on the property.

Be as autistic as you want but please no shitposting or arguing!
>>
>>3765651
Find any good games doing that? I mean licensed games are almost always shit, but I'd be interested in hearing if there are any gems you stumbled upon.
>>
>>3765651
Get yourself interested in Dick Tracy.
>>
>>3765661
Its super hit or miss. If the game is complete garbage I play it till I get stuck and move on to the next one if there is one. If not I play it for friends to get a chuckle

I try to alternate between popular ones and obscure ones to keep it interesting

Had an "ID" week and found Diakatana for GBC

Beyblades was better than I expected it to be

Sailor Moon has some arcade gems

Marios Picross is criminally underrated

Ghostbusters week was headache inducing
>>
>>3765678
Almost forgot, Godzilla week was a fucking blast some great non retro games
>>
>>3765651
Can you post a screenshot of a promo site. I am interested in what that is.
Also i think your idea is of getting back in time is really cool.
I love to explore games.
When i played FF or Metroid, i watched any review/speedrun including reading lore on wiki. I try to understand the impact the game might had back then and try to see the idea behind it. I am often suprised by older games. They can be really deep in story and gameplay but also giving you room for intepretation.
>>
File: GBIIgb.jpg (67KB, 640x634px) Image search: [Google]
GBIIgb.jpg
67KB, 640x634px
>>3765678
You know what's actually a decent ghostbusters game is pic related. yet I never hear it mentioned either positively or negatively.
>>
>>3765708
DESU its been super slim pickings recently. Mostly I have to lurk old forums an can only find remnants of the websites but not the actual websites themselves anymore.

http://www.lost-world.com/Lost_World02/inGENe.html
>>
File: 61.jpg (134KB, 640x457px) Image search: [Google]
61.jpg
134KB, 640x457px
>>3765708
Sometimes I have to get creative and buy physical media off ebay and run it in dosbox
>>
File: 1484277537809s.jpg (3KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
1484277537809s.jpg
3KB, 160x144px
>>3765651
sometimes i grab my retro consoles from the shelf and snuggle them on my chest
>>
File: 843074.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
843074.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>3766978
>tfw I do the same, as well as just admire their physical shape
>tfw I sometimes sleep with them in bed as one would sleep with a teddy bear
>>
>>3765729
Oh god I actually remember that
>>
>>3765651
I like to take out the gaming magazines I bought back in the day (first one in 1989) and go through them. lots of games I had totally forgotten.

Weirdly I lost consoles, games, tv's (I even had a sony pvm) but still have my complete magazine collection.
>>
>>3765651
that austin powers game is weird af, it's like Carmen san diego or something.
>>
>>3767078
Actually it's kind of a digital planner with minigames.
It's supposed to be Austin's PDA but there's was also a Dr. Evil version.
>>
>>3767091
Ah that makes more sense, I was too confused to really get the jist of it. Also I was just skimming through a ROM set.
>>
>>3765651
That is an intensely weird habit.

Nothing wrong with it or anything, but still.
>>
>>3765729
I remember that.
the ID4 toys were actually pretty cool.

I had the big ass alien that could be opened and had the small guy inside.
>>
>>3767096
Either way it sucked.
The movie jokes just doesn't translate well to text and 4 frame gifs. The music and soundfont are atrocious and painful to listen to and the games are shit you could find on anything else but with an AP skin.

Why these "games" exist beats me.
>>
>>3766978
>>3766986
Welcome to the collective
>>
I'm 34 and don't do anything strange.

I like to go through some old game manuals and read the notes I made when I was a kid.

Sit on the floor in front of the old console tv and play

Read old game magazines and have a chuckle at the predictions.

Hook up retro systems in the most round about way for fun.

Played pokemon blue via N64>P Stadium>a/v switch>trinitron>video out>game gear tv tuner>game gear with wide gear

it was trbl.
>>
>>3767427
According to half of /vr/ all you need is to play with cartridges and not flashcarts to make you a fucking manchild freak of nature.
>>
>>3767107
It mostly sucks yes, but these are my favorite for nostalgia tripping. I like to find stuff that only someone who was there then it was new would bother playing!
>>
>>3765729
>>3767031
Ohh I had one of these, what a load of shit. I remember my disk was a point and click game controlling some hangar technician where you had to prep the alien craft in sequence for it to launch... and that was it.

Did have a sweet toy of the alien bio-suit tho
>>
>>3765678
>Ghostbusters

What did you think of Ghostbusters for Genesis/Megadrive
>>
>>3767520
It was pretty good
>>
>>3767520
Never finished it but it was very fun! I made the mistake of also including the spinoffs
>>
Sometimes I've taken my N64 carts and made a domino chain outta them. Vid is related but not mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsKw0pdZeA4
>>
>>3767568
I suppose there are worse ways to treat your carts
>>
>>3767570
I used a sharpie to write a leet hax password on my MMX cart.

I printed out a label that said "BEST GAME EVER!!!" and stuck it on my Super Metroid cart.

I used a magnifying glass to melt my initials into a cartridge, I wanna say it was Goldeneye.

And here's the toppest autismo thing that I did as a child:

I superglued a 1964 nickel onto my rumble pak.
>>
>>3767829
>I superglued a 1964 nickel onto my rumble pak.
I still keep 1964 nickles whenever I come across them.
>>
>>3767952
The nickels aren't silver, you know. Quarters and dimes, yes, but not nickels.
>>
>>3767960
I'm not sure where you're going with this.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (11KB, 169x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
11KB, 169x225px
>>3767570
>Neil D. Voss
His Tetrisphere soundtrack is great though The New Tetris beats it.
>>
>>3767962
Oh. 1964 was the last year US coins (except nickels) were made out of silver. I assumed that's why you collect that particular year.
>>
>>3768419
Interesting, but no. 64 because N64. I have no idea why I fixated on nickles. It's just a stupid thing I started doing back when I had an N64.
>>
>>3768430
Well it would have to be nickels or pennies. Because of the aforementioned silver reason, that's why you never see quarters & dimes before 1965 in circulation.
>>
A suprising ammount of coin experts on this board
>>
>>3768990
Well this is a board about collecting old shit.
>>
>>3769007
Coins can be video games., Or at least you can use them to make games happen
>>
>>3768419
They were only briefly made out of silver because nickel itself was needed for the war.

I used to have a penny given to me by my grandfather that was minted in 1859, the year Origin of Species was released (pure coincidence) but it was unfortunately lost in a move some years ago.
>>
>>3765651
I do something similar, but I think the other way around.
When I´m in the mood for a run of a particular game, I usually look for movies and music related to it, specially if chronologicaly accurate. I also spend a lot of time during the run looking for the oficial promo websites and commercial (specially images)
I usually do this with 5th-6th generation games, since most of their material is still avalaible
>>
>>3770335
I do this! When I decide on a game (or more likely, series) that I want to play, I'll spend entire days looking up stuff about it. Promotional art, scans of the original game manual, box art, commercials, cheap little fast food toys/gachapon (there are TONS of these, and they're kind of cool,) anything I might have been immersed in if I was a kid waiting for the game to come out.

It really makes the game much more enjoyable for me if I can try to get myself hyped for the game like I used to when they were still new. I also like to take into context the date of release, and what games in the genre I may have played as a kid before this one, and try to reflect on it in that sense.

Take JRPGs, for example. In many cases, the nuances between games in a series (gameplay mechanics, storytelling style, art direction, etc.) are better explained when you take into consideration the other popular RPGs that came out between their installments, and how they were received.

Basically, I find that I appreciate games a lot more if I know as much as would have possible about them and the gaming culture they were released in before they came out.
>>
>>3770335
>>3770386
RETRO GET HYPE. Thats probably the reason why do it too.
>>
>>3770386
I did this with FF7, recently. I had never played the game, but it was always a presence in my life. My friends were all huge fans and loved the shit out of it. I was always seeing articles and TV commercials and such, so this year I finally got down to playing it, but beforehand I went and dug up all the old Gamefan articles on it I could find and read them in order. People always shit on Gamefan for having bad articles, but I think that's wrong. Their work is not always fanctual, but there's a lot of passion behind it, and no other video game magazine's writing better reflects the mind of a person who is just incredibly hyped to play games.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.