[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good game to play solo and unlock stuff or is it a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 13

File: MarvelVSCapcom2_DC-BOX2005_US.jpg (246KB, 525x526px) Image search: [Google]
MarvelVSCapcom2_DC-BOX2005_US.jpg
246KB, 525x526px
Is this a good game to play solo and unlock stuff or is it a waste of time and should be played competitively?
>>
All fighting games are a waste of time when played vs the CPU.
>>
Relevant link explaining the unlock system
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/561477-marvel-vs-capcom-2/59076946

It's weird.
>>
>>3764840

A fun game is fun regardless, but like the anon above me said, fighting the cpu is never as fun as another person.
>>
>>3764848
It's not just unfun, fighting the CPU is downright detrimental to your skills.
If you need to practice execution or whatever skillset you might have trained when playing the CPU go into Training Mode instead, it will be better for you in the long run.
>>
of course it is it's a fighting game. just download a save file and put it on a VMU
>>
File: latest[1].png (240KB, 706x540px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
240KB, 706x540px
MVC2 is one of the greatest fighting games of our time. Only liberal hippy communists don't love it.
>>
File: 225px-Headless_body_of_Agnew.jpg (8KB, 225x170px) Image search: [Google]
225px-Headless_body_of_Agnew.jpg
8KB, 225x170px
>>3764916
RRRRRRRRRR

(It's a good game)
>>
Competitive MvsC is really lame. Fight a friend casually and have fun, but don't bother to actually get good if you don't like spamming the same shit over and over.
>>
>>3764843

>UR DUR MUH FGC HIGH LEVEKL TOURNAMENT

fuck off, shit cunt

>>3764870

Here's a though, retard. Most gamers don't give a fuck about "HONING THEIR SKILLS." They play for fun not to prove themselves to douche bags like you.
>>
>>3764973
OP literally asked about competitive.
>>
>>3764974

No he asked if the game was fun you illiterate waste of air. A game can be fun without being competitive
>>
>>3764974
Well the competitive is kinda dead isn't it? Without online how the hell are you supposed to find people who play this game outside of conventions?
>>
>>3764983
Be a normal person and make friends

Shocking, I know, but it happens
>>
I maxed out the play clock on this game years ago. Really great fighter, in my opinion. Not complicated but not too simple.

You can cheat the rewards system by just starting a training session and walking away for a few hours...
>>
>is this a good game to play solo
It's a competitive fighting game, nigger. Stick to flappy bird if you don't want to git gud.
>>
>>3764973
ass hurt button masher detected

git gud
>>
>>3765020
>playing with friends XD
That's not competitive, yo.
>>
>>3764840
When was the last time MvC 1 or 2 was used competitively like smash bros or street fighter was?
>>
>>3764973

Gabriel. Ya poof
>>
>>3764846

Method 3 ftw.

I got shit to do
>>
>>3764840
The only games from the VS series you should take seriously are Marvel vs Capcom and Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. MvC2 is an unbalanced shitfest meants for playing when you feel like pressing buttons nonsensically.
>>
>>3764846
The japanese one was even worse. you needed to play online and at arcades to unlock everyone
>>
NOT RETRO
>>
>>3765179
Excuse me, make acquaintances.

It's not hard to find a little weekly local tourney
>>
It's not a waste of time if you enjoy it.

Why do people feel inclined to seek approval to play games?
I'll never understand.
>>
>>3765414
those are both way more broken than mvc2 you retard. don't even talk about stuff if you don't know any thing about it
>>
>>3766819
How so?
>>
>>3765463
except it is
>>3764840
MvC is way better
>>
>>3764840
Nah.
MvC2 is thhe most broken game ever to the point it's not even fun.

Over 50 characters and only 2 are really usable with one being purposely bad.
And the engine is basically a beta, the game is really loose and doesn't have any real rules, it's literally "we made some engine for the game to barely work, let's throw some characters".

The only good ting is the music. By itself is godly good but for a game, let alone a fighting game, it's bad.

I know a lot of people will bash me for this but what the hell.
>>
>>3764843
>tfw no friends or family to help me so I only played fighters against the CPU as a kid
>unlocked every character in Melee, SSB64, MVC2, MVC, SFIII, SVC, and SVC2 alone
>>
>>3766819
go suck your dad's dick, MvC2 has way too many characters which is impossible to balance without having one mega gimped character and has clone characters. In MvC and MSHvsSF there's only enough characters that the balancing is fair enough and there is no one broken unbeatable team [except maybe Gold War Machine and the orange Hulk in MvC1 since red Venom dies too fucking fast so he's useless to casual players]. Explain how those two are way more broken than MvC2.
>>
>>3767129
I know the feeling, did the same with Melee and Soul Calibur 2.
>>
>>3767169
Those games literally are broken. It's not a joke. MvC was perhaps the worst offender of the series in terms of it.

MVC2 took a decade to get rounded down to where it is now.

MvC was broken in less than a year
>>
>>3768932
Explain how a game with 10 characters is more broken than one with 50
>>
>>3766819
Sorry but no they're not.
>>
>>3768941
Any version of war machine. I played this game at many tournements. It was fun at the time but once the game was picked apart the pretty much go to teams were war machine x. X being either chunli or wolverine.
>>
Why do people shit on arcade/story modes in fighting games?
>>
>>3768941
MvC has a lot of easy mode infinites with no auto dizzy like 2 so people literally ended up doing shit like ground loops with wolverine. It was nothing like what you see in mvc2. Most of the time you have to reset the opponent in mvc2 or end with a super because the game will auto spin you out after about 50 hits of non super.

To answer op's question. The ai in this game is not very good except for rogue. It's cool to unlock stuff but this game really shines when you actually are playing a human being with some form of skill.
>>
>>3768987
/vr/ is home to a dangerously autistic fellow that has convulsions whenever anyone enjoys:

>playing fighting games alone
>unbalanced fighting games
>fighting game music
>fighting game backgrounds and character design
>>
>>3765485
Where do you live? Nerdville?
>>
>>3768987
They don't take any skill.
>>
>>3768992
>auto spin
What does that mean? I'm not familiar with fighting games.
>>
File: sherm521.gif (167KB, 400x150px) Image search: [Google]
sherm521.gif
167KB, 400x150px
>>3764840
You can play the game any way you want, but it was designed for human vs human as it's main purpose and that's where the real skill of the game is. That's just the genre. Computers can't play at a high level.

So though you can play it solo it won't be a very rewarding experience, winning means learning how to out-cheese a cheating computer. It's not great. Up to you of course but imo probably better to just spend your time on another kind of game.
>>
>>3769001
Yeah that's not true at all
>>
>>3769010
BITCH NIGGER do you even realize how they code the AI in those games? The AI is programmed to read your inputs and react with zero frame latency
>>
>>3768995
What kind of faggot cares about backgrounds anyway
TRAINING MODE STAGE BEST STAGE
>>
>>3769004
mvc2 has a hidden dizzy meter that makes you spin out if you take a certain amount of hits from normal attacks within a time period.

It makes you fly upwards and back but you don't get stunned when you stand back up.
>>
>>3769010
They do take skill, but they take a different kind and also shallower kind of skill than playing 2player. So to people who play these games, there's nothing interesting or impressing about beating the single player modes. They're just there for basic practice.
>>
>>3769028
What about the high scores? What about games like CvS, Fatal Fury or Third Strike with the really elaborate score grading systems?
>>
>>3769036
Only bitch niggers play fighters for score.
>>
>>3769036
The score systems are literally just there to fill in the arcade parts. Most of the time the only score people care about at an arcade is a win streak in fighters.
>>
>>3769040
What about survival modes?
>>
>>3769036
Again, because it's fighting against AI and AI is shitty to fight against no one really cares. If you had the highest score on a machine some people would certainly think it was neat, but it wouldn't be impressive if you weren't also really good at versus. That's what the vast majority of people who spend any real time with these games are interested in.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (40KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
40KB, 384x224px
>>3769040
I disagree, I think getting a good grade on Third Strike is pretty damn impressive.
>>
>>3769043
You can get grades vs actual players though. It's different.
>>
>>3769041

That's slightly more faggoty than playing the Arcade mode. Just play a beat em up if beating the CPU is all that you care about.
>>
File: terry-hattoss-win.gif (136KB, 315x179px) Image search: [Google]
terry-hattoss-win.gif
136KB, 315x179px
This is an analogy you've heard before if you've been in these threads, but fighting games are like chess. They're not really about the hadokens and combos, they're about positioning and out thinking your opponent. That's just something a computer isn't good at, which is why playing chess against one is never satisfying.

It's the same thing with fighters. Single player just isn't a satisfying experience so most people don't waste their time with it
>>
>>3769056
I think Poker is a more apt comparison, there are mind games but also a lot of luck involved.
>>
>>3769059
Not at all. There's really almost no luck in vs fighters. That's part of why they're so popular.
>>
>>3769061
What about missing that 1 frame link you've practiced to death and losing the match because of it?
>>
>>3769064
That's just plain old lack of skill.
>>
>>3769064
That has nothing at all to do with luck. That's what I'm saying.

But I'll also say this, if a match comes down to a 1 frame link and was that down to the wire, I drop it and lose, then that was still an incredible fight that it was that close. You're always going to lose a bunch, it's not about that. It's about the game.
>>
>>3769079
I disagree, there's a lot of luck involved as part of the game, you're just blinded by elitism to see.
It's nowhere near as intelectual as a match of chess.
>>
>>3769085
Where do you think there is actual luck? It's two people, anything that happens in the match is a direct result of what one of them does. Nothing random is happening, neither player has an advantage. What happens that you would count as luck?

Whether they are as complex as chess isn't really the point. It's that they are bad when played against a computer for similar reasons. It's a game of thinking and a thing that can't think isn't fun or interesting to play against. That's really all it is.
>>
>>3769092
What you think are mind games is actually just luck. Tech throws, parries, counters, hit confirms etc. There's a lot of guessing games.
>>
>>3769094
Spoken like a true scrub.
>>
>>3769094
That's not luck though. That's the game. That's like saying basketball is all luck because the players will do different things. Or that boxing is all luck. It's the exact same thing.

Mind games have nothing to do with luck. If you think they do you fundamentally don't understand what luck is.
>>
>>3769103
Don't compare videogames to actual sports, that's autistic.
>>
>>3769108
Well you don't seem to understand what luck is so I'm grasping at any comparison that you might actually understand.

A fighting game match is nothing like Poker where there is a random element of luck involved in what cards each players gets. Nothing that happens comes down to luck, at the start things are equal. It is all the interplay of the two players trading blows and trying to one up each other. Luck plays no factor.
>>
>>3769108
>Don't compare games to games, that's autistic.
>>
>>3769115
Parry systems are by definition guessing games, these are largely dictated by luck.
>>
File: luck1.jpg (34KB, 579x175px) Image search: [Google]
luck1.jpg
34KB, 579x175px
>>3769094
>What you think are mind games is actually just luck. Tech throws, parries, counters, hit confirms etc. There's a lot of guessing games.

I made you a handy image. Re-read it until you understand the word.
>>
>>3769123
Guessing what your opponent may or may not do isn't luck. It has nothing to do with luck. If you think it does you are stupid.
>>
>>3769125
It has everything to do with luck, niggra.
>>
>>3769124
It's still down to luck because whether you tech a throw or not depends on your opponent's actions, not yours.
>>
>>3769137
>>3769137

If you're honestly this dense I can't help you.

But it does explain a little better why you're so bad at these games and always complaining about player vs player. You sound borderline retarded. That's not even trolling.
>>
>>3769134
>>3769137
Getting into your opponent's head is not luck.

Do you really think countering everything he does is down to luck?

>What is reading the opponent like he's an open book?
>>
>>3769162
That's just cool wording for luck.
>>
File: cheky_r107.jpg (169KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
cheky_r107.jpg
169KB, 1200x795px
>>3769137
How come I keep losing over and over? I know, it must be bad luck! Fuck my opponent's actions!
>>
>>3769174
>I still don't understand what the word luck means

Are you still in middle school or something? This is embarrassing to read, how are you actually writing this?
>>
>>3769175
Guessing games = luck.

Don't argue, I don't give a shit.
>>
People praising MvC1 over MvC2 are only doing it because MvC1 seems more fun at low level.

The damage is higher and the roster is smaller, which makes it seem like most of the characters are viable, assists are limited in usage, variable cross is basically party mode, nobody knows how to be proficient with Red Venom yet.

Truth is, high level MvC1 is actually simplistic. It revolves around either easy infinites or party mode chip damage and the game is dominated by only a handful.

Whereas low level MvC2 is dominated by teams filling the screen with shit and nobody knows how to control Magneto and Storm yet. It's the equivalent of No Fun Allowed: The Game for scrubs/casuals/low level players.
>>
>>3769209
>Don't argue, I don't give a shit.

You sure showed us with that argument.
>>
>>3769209
That's okay, arguing with you is like talking to a five year old anyways. If you're not just trolling and honestly believe what you're saying there's really nowhere else to go.

I'm not surprised you don't like these games if what you think is going on in them comes down to luck. The reason I like fighters more than almost any other genre is that they're entirely skill based and not at all based around luck or random computer input. It's just you and your opponent trading blows and trying to out-do each other based on timing, skill and guesswork, which I don't see as luck based at all. It's intuition based and judging your opponent.
>>
>>3769064
If you play /vr/ fighting games, 1f links won't ever come into play. They only show up in fancy combo vids.
>>
>>3769224
Not an argument.
>>
>>3769217
>variable cross
Is that the thing where you have 2 vs 1 characters on screen?
>>
>>3769235
Yeah.
>>
>>3769209
What if I'm reducing the guessing game down to none?
>>
>>3764975
>and should be played competitively?
u dont hef 2 b so made
>>
>>3765206
this past weekend
>>
>>3769326
What was that? Did EVO take place last weekend?
>>
>>3764975
Sure, but these happen to be more fun when they're competitive since that's what they're designed to be best at.
>>
>>3769335
No, Evo is in July but there are tournaments going on all the time. That's probably what he meant.
>>
>>3769335
frosty faustings was this past weekend
a lot of big tournaments have side tournaments of old games
>>
>>3769350
I see, intrasting.
>>
>>3769341
You still have to practice for years before you can play competitively though that's bullshit
>>
>>3769386
>for years
Spoken like a true scrub.
>>
>>3769386
Not at all. That's another thing that makes this genre so amazing. You can have never played a fighter in your life, but sit down with a similarly new buddy and have an absolute blast.

You'd probably need to practice for years to be able to hold your own at a big tournament, but that's only because the people you'd be playing against have been playing for years themselves. If you just want to have fun and learn the games you can do that from day 1 and every day you play have fun and learn a bit more.
>>
>>3769435
>If you just want to have fun and learn the games you can do that from day 1 and every day you play have fun and learn a bit more.
That's what people meant to do when they play the CPU.
>>
>>3769447
Well they are doing it wrong, then.
>>
>>3769447
If you read the rest of the thread you'll see why it's a lot more fun to do that with a friend than against a computer which really isn't good at these games. Playing single player is actually one of the hardest ways to have fun with these games because they're really not well designed for that.

It will still be fun because these are pretty fun games, but there's really no comparison playing AI vs real people.
>>
>>3769453
Real people suck, I'd rather play alone.
>>
>>3769490
I guess I just don't understand that attitude. I really like playing games with friends or other people. But that's a big part of why this genre appeals to me so much.

But if that's how you are it just is what it is I guess. At least these games are still playable alone, they're just not nearly as good. Beat 'em Ups might be a better fit.
>>
>>3764973
>UR DUR MUH FGC HIGH LEVEKL TOURNAMENT
You know you can uhh... play casually with friends right? But with that attitude I doubt you have any, maybe curb that autism, friend
>>
>>3769495
It appeals to me playing with close friends too, none of them are remotely near competitive level, though.
>>
>>3769507
But I was just talking about how these games are still fun even if you're not at a competitive level. You just need to be fairly close to your opponent and they're fun.

I guess it would be different if you were much better than your friends but also adverse to playing people who aren't your friends. That seems very odd to me, but I enjoy playing anyone.
>>
File: MVC_Cammy.png (61KB, 134x360px) Image search: [Google]
MVC_Cammy.png
61KB, 134x360px
>>3764840
as someone who plays this is my best answer..
if you want to play it just to play it thats fine its fun learning how to defeat the computer and also ways to manipulate it as well as unlocking everything but playing vs cpu usually gives you bad habits when fighting vs real players and vise versa.

the scene for competitive play does exist but might be hard to find, and coming in as a new player ... well its a pretty old game by now.

If you like this style of game umvc3 or skullgirls are good neo alternatives for competitive play

mvci is coming soon but looks more like a cross between tvc or xtekken than a mvc game.
>>
The CPU in this game doesn't know how to counter trap tactics, even on hardest.
>>
>>3770247
Not at top level. Insulting ones state is already losing the game.
>>
>>3770408
Since this is the fighting game thread, hiw are the PS4 versions of Garou and Last Blade 2? Is the online active at all, and is it filled with robotic Japanese masters or scrubs like myself?
>>
>>3770416
Nobody plays fighters that use snk netcode that aren't new. Fightcade is where you get games for snk online. Till japan sucks it up and learns to do proper netcode nobody will likely ever touch those games.
>>
>>3770247
Learn to read before trying to respond.
>>
File: chessa21e959ec03.jpg (58KB, 641x464px) Image search: [Google]
chessa21e959ec03.jpg
58KB, 641x464px
>>3770247
Black people can play chess too. Hell I learned to play chess when I was 8. It's a very simple game to learn to play. It's playing it well that takes time and practice. Which is why fighting games are a good analogy. Anyone can pick one up and throw around some punches and kicks. But learning to play well is where the real fun and dedication come in.

It's clear you like the idea of fighting games. If you could just get over your fear of losing and realize it's part of learning and eventually winning you would probably really learn to enjoy them.
>>
>>3770448
Even net code in new SNK fighters is pretty shit. Ports are unplayable.
>>
File: 20ijl90.gif (51KB, 190x207px) Image search: [Google]
20ijl90.gif
51KB, 190x207px
That Psylocke design gets me excited
>>
File: Psylocke-kicks.gif (23KB, 210x150px) Image search: [Google]
Psylocke-kicks.gif
23KB, 210x150px
>>3771509
All hail Capcom!
>>
>>3769624
Do you still actually play MvC2 regularly? Not 3?
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.