[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is MOO2 the most comfy round based strategy game ever?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

File: Master_of_Orion_2_06-pc-games.jpg (101KB, 662x496px) Image search: [Google]
Master_of_Orion_2_06-pc-games.jpg
101KB, 662x496px
Is MOO2 the most comfy round based strategy game ever?
>>
>autism simulators
>>
>>3763609
We can't all experience it naturally like you anon.
>>
>Not playing MOO3.
>>
>>3763616
>ugly interface
>worse than MOO2 in nearly every aspect
>>
>>3763598
Since I have played it at least once a year for the past 20 years, I would have to agree with you
>>3763653
This
I was so excited for MOO3, my friend and I went and bought it the day it came out
I'll never play a brand new game again
It's been wait and see for me ever since
>>
Disciples: Sacred Lands gets my vote, to be honest. Maximum comfy.
>>
>>3763616
Garbage game.
>>
File: Ithkul_MOO3.png (140KB, 311x295px) Image search: [Google]
Ithkul_MOO3.png
140KB, 311x295px
>>3763616
>>
>>3764385
Sterilizing planets from these felt really good.
>>
>>3765024
although it would've been better if there was a checkbox in imperial policy window
[x] eradicate ithkul from conquered planets
>>
Watch the live openra tournament right now
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19932
>>
File: T451.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
T451.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
>>3763598
hold the fucking phone

turn 446 and the map looks like that? 710 RP? what the shit

pic related, turn 451, leisurely pace
>>
>>3763616
>Not playing MOO1
>>
>>3766395
>not playing Oom
>>
File: cyborg.jpg (52KB, 568x320px) Image search: [Google]
cyborg.jpg
52KB, 568x320px
Master of Magic is also quite cozy. And MoO1 has its own charm, because there is less hassle with micromanagment.
Hard to tell which one is the best.
>>
>>3768787
For me it has come to the point where I can only enjoy MoO1; MoM is boring as fuck in the early stages when you have basically explored your surroundings and are clicking 'End Turn' constantly because you can't take on any node or anything worthwhile.

As you said, MoO2 is a mess in the later stages, when you have so many fucking colonies to manage, and the AI does such a poor job with the 'AutoBuild' and citizen management. If only it had had templates or focusing options like Civ IV, it would have been so much better.

Meanwhile MoO1 is the ultimate comfy. You can adjust planet settings at a glance, there's always something to do (exploring, building ships, teching like mad, espionage, pitting AIs against each other, etc)

Besides, MoO2 has much less variation in ship composition. In MoO you can build a gigantic swarm of tiny ships and raze everything, while also being able to build giant behemoths with every fucking subsystem and 10 slots for the most powerful weapon. MoO2 on the other hand forces you to make just giant ships, because no matter how small you plan your ships to be, your planets will never make more than 1 ship per turn.
>>
>>3768820
I thought MoO3 tried to do exactly that (macro over micro) but nobody liked it?
>>
File: Untitled.png (86KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
86KB, 638x479px
>>3763598
No, that title belongs to MoM.

Pick a wizard for me, /vr/. Do the portrait too.
And pls no Klackon.
>>
>>3768820

The latest unofficial moo2 patch (1.50) adds build queue presets.
>>
>>3768820

>>3769053
Well having not played MoO3 myself I can't really argue, but from what I've seen it seems that MoO3's fatal flaw was rather its cumbersome interface, which is for me kind of what happens to MoO2; you can have multiple planets inside a system, and you have to micromanage each planet and organize its population, which keeps growing and assigning itself wrong, and manage the buildings and units you make.

I know there is a screen in which you can check everything at a glance, but it's just that, a spreadsheet. It doesn't feel like you're navigating through the galaxy to check what your core planets are doing, and how your frontier worlds are defending themselves.
>>
File: 1427319094001.jpg (369KB, 800x1146px) Image search: [Google]
1427319094001.jpg
369KB, 800x1146px
>>3768820
I more or less agree to that. A MoO1 with a smarter AI and better space battle system (MoO2 is better there, despite no stacks) would be great.

>MoM is boring as fuck in the early stages when you have basically explored your surroundings
I dont agree to that. At difficulties above "normal" the KI keeps me busy very early. Usually everyone declares war on me before any of the good units are built.

>>3769076
Ever tried the Aureus MoM mod? Klackons are kick ass to play there. They have merging (like the Wyrm) and kan move across half the map. Anyway in the normal game I prefer barbarians.
>>
File: tradetechoffer.png (2MB, 2893x1800px) Image search: [Google]
tradetechoffer.png
2MB, 2893x1800px
>>3769247
>A MoO1 with a smarter AI and better space battle system (MoO2 is better there, despite no stacks) would be great.

https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com
>>
>>3769247
What's the 'KI'? Sorry if its an internal acronym from the game but I've never seen it. (Oder meinst du 'Künstliche Intelligenz'?)

I generally don't like playing with mods, they usually alter too much the game's balance, or clash too much with the original artstyle.

Games in general, but retro games especially are a product of their time, and this is true in particular for artstyle. In this kind of game for example the usual archetype for an ultra intelligent alien race would be the 'greys', while if you made a similar game nowadays they would probably look more like Cthlulhu like mosters, or robots. I know it might sound like nitpicking, but for me it's important to get in the mindset of those times and immerse myself better.
>>
>>3763598
I love advancing quickly and then keep the other civilizations at stone age level. If a planet goes a little too far in tech, nuke it.
>>
>>3763598
Stars! is better.
>>
>>3769247
wurst drag queen ever
>>
>>3771250
I played Stars!.
What are differences between it and MOO series?
>>
>>3771759
Beats me. OPs pic reminds me of Stars!, and I played the fuck out of Stars!.
So I assume there are similarities.
>>
>>3763598
hmmm no.
>>
File: Master_of_Magic_boxcover.jpg (79KB, 296x350px) Image search: [Google]
Master_of_Magic_boxcover.jpg
79KB, 296x350px
>>3769247
> Ever tried the Aureus MoM mod? Klackons are kick ass to play there. They have merging (like the Wyrm) and kan move across half the map. Anyway in the normal game I prefer barbarians.

The shit people think up. Master of Magic is decried as poorly-balanced. Of course: it was designed in the early nineties before a million people on the internet could provide instant Q.A. and patches could be uploaded to everyone straight away, as needed. The various minor imbalances and exploits have become endearing, a part of the experience.

So what does someone do that qualifies as "balance?" They go and give a normal unit something absolutely unbelievable, like Merging. So they can teleport anywhere on the field. You have to try really hard to actually lose a fight with that. Way to balance the game hotshot. I don't really care to play someone's trash-grade personal opinions, so I stick with vanilla versions of these games.
>>
>>3775969
well in that particular case, I guess they just wanted to give each race a decent high-end unit. Something klacks definitely lack in the original. But its useless to argue anyway, since you never played the mod.
>>
>>3771759
Stars! was legitimately boring and was more like a spreadsheet than a game.
>>
>>3771250
>not VGA Planets
Do you even PBEM?
>>
>>3777281
vga planets was such a good introduction to the 4x series.. i played the heck out of it as a kid and even registered a copy despite not having anyone else to play it with.
>>
>>3763598
I just got both MoO games and enjoy the first more despite it handling awkwardly. The first game is just oldness kind of jank while the second one has pain in the ass system management.
>>
File: moo2techtree.png (53KB, 1248x1127px) Image search: [Google]
moo2techtree.png
53KB, 1248x1127px
>>3776565
I didn't mean to sound like I was shooting the messenger

here have some tech
>>
>>3779816
Hnng...
>>
I don't like combat in MoO2. It's too damn weird for me and I never win even if my ships have better techs. Shit is too damn gimmicky.
>>
File: moo2ships.png (140KB, 432x2320px) Image search: [Google]
moo2ships.png
140KB, 432x2320px
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.