[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Double Dragon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

File: 59746988_p0.jpg (3MB, 4093x5787px) Image search: [Google]
59746988_p0.jpg
3MB, 4093x5787px
Double Dragon IV website update with new trailer and developer's commentary.
http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/dd4/

>Dat Road Avenger reference in the new video.
>>
File: Evolution_of_the_Lee_brothers.png (3MB, 1706x1096px) Image search: [Google]
Evolution_of_the_Lee_brothers.png
3MB, 1706x1096px
> Since each title, and even each country's version of each title, had it's own distinct look, we weren't sure what do for the main visuals and the story, but after some contemplation, we decided to go with something like Double Dragon 2, the reason for this being that Double Dragon 2 on the NES used the same visuals in both Japan and the rest of the world. No changes made.

Looks like the inconsistent promotional art between regions was a huge factor as to why they based Double Dragon IV on the second NES game (since it used the same boxart and in-game visuals on both region).
>>
File: LwvBx.jpg (181KB, 551x779px) Image search: [Google]
LwvBx.jpg
181KB, 551x779px
PSN trophy list revealed

SPOILER ALERT
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5796-double-dragon-4
>>
I can't get behind this. It looks like generic indie dev pixelshit and/or a fanhack.
>>
>>3764856

If there's one studio you can trust with 2D action these days, it's Arc Systems.
>>
>>3764864
So why the game looks like complete shit?

You could recreate it on game maker in about a day with literally zero budget.
>>
Also, not retro. Unless this is a Double Dragon general thread to talk about old DD games.

What I wanted is a real and serious Double Dragon 4, maybe even in 3D, keeping the Hokuto no Ken rip-off art style and no ~le funny 80's meme ~le Bimmy that plagued Neon. At least Neon OST was fucking amazing.

I already played DD2. I don't need a copy.
>>
>>3763247

Would've been neat if they'd gone with the style of, say, the first arcade game and not one with NES quality character sprites on top of sometimes-too-good-for-NES backgrounds.
>>
It's so "objects trying to look 480i moving over 1080p viewing area"
>>
>>3763247
DD > FF > SoR
>>
They take sprites directly out of DD2 and 3 but most of the backgrounds don't look 8bit at all.

Also some of the new enemies are obvious cheap sprite edits.

BUT this could be fun I guess.
>>
I just realized it's coming out on PC (Steam) too, but

>those fucking backgrounds
>no online co-op

I'm not paying more than 10 bucks for this
>>
Is this coming out on Sunday for PS4? I'm super excited to play this.

>play as enemies in story mode

going to be the sweetest thing.
>>
>>3765037
shareplay (online co op with one purchaser) too
pretty kool
>>
>Basing it on the NES games not the first two arcade games

Pass.
>>
>>3765050
that's pretty neat.
>>3765051
Do people actually prefer the arcade versions?
>>
>>3765052
>Do people actually prefer the arcade versions?

Given a choice now yes, but I expect a lot of people would say NES for nostalgia reasons. The Master System had a better conversion of DD1 anyway.
>>
>>3765053
I personally feel DDII NES plays the best. It just feels right and has a lot of sweet moves to pull off.
>>
>>3765029
>no online co-op
It has online co-op. You can even use the Share function of the PS4 to the play the game with a non-owner.
>>
>>3764875
>Also, not retro. Unless this is a Double Dragon general thread to talk about old DD games.
That was the intention. Let's be honest here, most of /v/ probably don't even know about Double Dragon outside Neon anyway.

>>3765023
Abobo and Marian are from DD1, so they used art assets from all three NES games. They even have both versions of Linda from DD1 and DD2.

The original Double Dragons on the arcade and NES had a different artist for the background (Shin'ichi Saito if I'm not mistaken), but this time Kouji Ogata (the original character sprite artist) did the backgrounds alone. It's pretty impressive for a one man job.

>>3765052
I personally would've preferred having the look of the AC versions of I and II (DD3AC was junk) with fighting mechanics much closer DD2NES, which is what the GBA version more or less did. So a Double Dragon Advance 2 would've been nice. I can understand why they modeled the game after DD2NES though, if you read the reasoning here.>>3763447 I don't mind the NES style that much, but I'm bit a miffed they didn't use hair/outfit style they had in those versions.

>>3765053
>The Master System had a better conversion of DD1 a
The only thing in which the SMS version outdid the NES version of DD1 was having 2P co-op. The rest of the game was not as good.
>Combos are based on how fast you press the attack buttons and not on the state of the enemy character, making uppercuts and roundhouse kicks useless.
>Enemies have no groggy animation. You can't hair grab enemies until you deplete their HP until a certain point and then approach them Final Fight-style.
>Ultimately you're forced to use a hit and run strategy, since all it takes are three or four punches to knock an enemy on the floor.
>When a player and an enemy jump kick each other, the hits are not registered until the two characters land on the ground.
>Stages are flat compared to the AC and NES version. They don't even have any ladders or climbable terrain.
>>
>>3765345
I was thinking of some of those enemies which look 'new' to me.

>>3765303
Doesn't mention it on the Steam page for the PC version
>>
File: dd4_04_cs1w1_268x.jpg (25KB, 268x163px) Image search: [Google]
dd4_04_cs1w1_268x.jpg
25KB, 268x163px
>>3765353
>I was thinking of some of those enemies which look 'new' to me.
Mason (the new bald enemy) looks a bit recycled from Gibson (the bald enemy from DD3NES), but otherwise they look all new. My only gripe is that they're overdid with the head swaps a bit.

>Doesn't mention it on the Steam page for the PC version
All the press releases I read did, but I'm guessing it's probably only for PS4. Would be odd if the Steam version didn't have any.

Online co-op was never implemented on Neon for the Steam version, wasn't it?
>>
Double Dragon 4?!? Isn't that Super Double Dragon?? The next game was even titled Double Dragon 5.

Also DD2 on PC-Engine CD is the best.
>>
File: IMG_4977.jpg (223KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4977.jpg
223KB, 800x600px
>>3765396
>Double Dragon 4?!? Isn't that Super Double Dragon??
Not the same canon. Never was. You're not the first to point this out by the way.

>The next game was even titled Double Dragon 5.
That was a cashgrab made by Yanks. Basically a tie-in for the Double Dragon cartoon with no regard to the previous games.

>Also DD2 on PC-Engine CD is the best.
It's a good version, aside for a few balance issues.
>>
Have they announced a price yet (in US dollars)?

>>3765029
Jesus Christ. That blue skyline looks like an emulated PS1 game.
>>
>>3763247
i like how people noticing references has somehow become something worth commenting on.
>>
>>3765345
Double Dragon isn't your secret club. Everyone has heard of it. It's on the NES classic.
>>
>>3765417
>That blue skyline looks like an emulated PS1 game.

It looks like they googled "skyscraper by night" and slapped it onto there
>>
>>3765426
Maybe so, but let's be honest here. How many people actually played all the games and versions of the series versus kids who spam "Bimmy" references in threads because they watched that one episode of the AVGN way too many times? Double Dragon threads don't even last that long on /vr/ compared to other old school franchises such as Castlevania or Mega Man.

A lot of people online have been bitching about DD4 because it wasn't Double Dragon Neon 2. Personally I'm glad it wasn't a Neon sequel.
>>
>>3765484
god you're annoying
>>
>>3765494
Sorry that I want to discuss a series that I liked on a retro video game board. There's plenty of other threads that will appreciate your participation like "SNES vs. Genesis Thread #49398"
>>
>>3765484
>a thread about a series with 4 games doesn't have as much to talk about as series with 20+ games

You don't say.
>>
File: double_dragon_2_by_crowbrandon.png (163KB, 1422x1847px) Image search: [Google]
double_dragon_2_by_crowbrandon.png
163KB, 1422x1847px
>>3765623
I wouldn't say it's just four games, considering most of the console versions, especially the NES versions, are practically their own distinct games. Hell Double Dragon II on Game Boy didn't even have anything to do with the AC and NES versions. And then there's also Battletoads & Double Dragon, Double Dragon V, and that one Neo-Geo fighting game.
>>
File: double_dragon_ii_pce.jpg (107KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
double_dragon_ii_pce.jpg
107KB, 640x640px
>>3765396
>>Also DD2 on PC-Engine CD is the best.

It surely looks great and the redbook audio does wonders, however it also feels like the PC-Engine version lacks the same sensibility and attention to details found in the NES version - some things like only a single track playing per level (no stage clear jingles, no special tunes), several moves missing sound effects, or stuff like the ("epic") last hit on last boss. It feels like they pushed everything into raw power to compensate the lack of finer details.

Cutscenes were also fine, but they suffer from the "show, don't tell" syndrome. The static, yet subtle scenes on the NES don't get in the way as much as the anime cutscenes from PC-Engine CD version

But again, it's a very good version, and makes one think how Super/Return of Double Dragon would be so much better running at DD2 PCE-CD' pace.
>>
File: dd2pce_billy_visual_running.gif (8KB, 111x93px) Image search: [Google]
dd2pce_billy_visual_running.gif
8KB, 111x93px
>>3766291
DD2PCE is a pretty peculiar version of the game. On paper it's an enhanced version of the NES game, but in reality it actually mixes elements of the NES and arcade games and ends up becoming a unique third version of the game. You got the combat mechanics, levels, plot outline and most of the enemy roster from the NES game, the HUD and weapons from the AC version (along with the presence of Machine Gun Willy), plus a graphical style and soundtrack of its own.

Like you said, it's not a perfect version though. A few of the enemy types from the NES game (like the Right Arms and Ninjas) are unused for some reason (despite having full sprite sets within code) and the boss-class characters (Burnov, Abore and Chin) are overpowered due to being programmed after their AC counterparts rather than the NES version. The platforming was also a bit of a mess on PCE, since your jumps are not as precise in that version as they were on the NES.

I also think they wasted Machinegun Willy by simply making him just another enemy before the final boss. They really should've moved his boss battle to Mission 7 and reenact that "slimeball boss" scene from the NES version at the end of the battle.

The anime-style cutscenes are really the most interesting thing about the PCE version. It's essentially the closest thing there will ever be to a Double Dragon OVA. It's a bit amusing that they didn't make art style consistent with the boxart like the NES version, but I don't mind. Tsunaki Aki (an animator who worked on Yu-Gi-Oh) did the character designs for the cutscenes.

It would had been interesting if KID/Naxat had made a unique Double Dragon game on PCE, but I'm guessing the license limited them to making a conversion instead.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.