[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Sa·Ga/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 26

File: godkawazu.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
godkawazu.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Revival of the Mad God

Previous Thread is here:>>3647039
>Links
http://pastebin.com/ubT3r1z5
Romancing SaGa 3 Patch FAQ
http://pastebin.com/QeD1BR5q
FAQ for people new to the series
http://pastebin.com/kRbSg6PG
>Downloads
http://pastebin.com/E1V2hcfM
>>
Does Minstrel Song run perfectly on PCSX2?

And is there anything I should know (e.g. general pointers, specific things to avoid) before I start playing?
>>
Guess I'll do RS2 next after I play through Tactics Ogre. I played around a little with the android version and the controls are atrocious. Are they more tolerable if you play with a mouse on an emulator?
>>
>>3760809
I don't think the english vita release has officially been cancelled so if you're naively optimistic you may want to wait for it.
>>
>>3760817
I definitely would consider it if I heard that it and Scarlet Grace were both coming out, but I don't really know of any other reasons why I would want a Vita.
>>
>>3760793
>And is there anything I should know (e.g. general pointers, specific things to avoid) before I start playing?
Start with either of Claudia, Albert or Hawk. They tend to be more beginner friendly.

Avoid Grey (easier to forge his special snowflake Katana on NG+), Aisha (terrible stats/class without NG+ bonuses) or Sif (strong character but rather boring opening) for first playthroughs

The ones I didn't list are so-so.

Build a full party ASAP and start doing quests rather than running around fighting mobs for hours, but unlike what other people tell you, don't avoid every single battle and do every single quest unless you really insist on power-gaming on a single playthrough because then you'll probably not look forward to future playthroughs since it's not like SaGa Frontier where each character has very defined personal quests - most of them are shared in the same pool so you might as well leave some of them for later.

>>3760809
>Are they more tolerable if you play with a mouse on an emulator?
You can use the keyboard to walk around, at least.
>>
>>3760452
>whoring out your precious life essence just to recruit some guy with autism and get a magic sword
never ever
martial arts Asellus is best Asellus
>>
>>3760867
Albert is a fucking terrible starting character I don't know why anybody recommends him, he has like 3 mandatory grind-happy quests before he can even make a full party, he's easily one of the most difficult characters to play period.

Go with Claudia or Jamil. Do not pick anyone else as a first character.
>>
I played Hawke first and had a pretty good time.

My initial impression of the game was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCocHyTVtpo
>>
>>3761000
Supposedly the reason I keep hearing for Albert starting is that he feels more like a regular structured JRPG game character at the start where you're given rather clear directions on what to do to progress.
>>
>>3761009
I played Jamil first and to be honest
>silently give him the thumbs down
really set the tone for the whole game
>>
>>3761014
The thing is anon, the thing is just that;
none of the rest of the game is like that. Pretending it's like that is not a good thing. Claudia and Jamil both give you a strong character that almost immediately becomes independent. That Albert DOESN'T do that is actually very bad.
>>
>>3760994
I like the sword to prop up Asellus terrible early game, but I don't really care for recruiting Time Lord very much nowadays - too much effort for me.
>>
>>3761106
you dirty skank never play my waifu's scenario again
>>
>>3760867
>You can use the keyboard to walk around, at least.
That's a huge relief.
>>
>>3760793
It runs pretty well even on low-ish end machines, though there's some graphical glitches with the speech bubbles like pic related for some reason, I don't even remember what setting causes that because I have some older screenshots with lower resolution without said glitches but worse quality for the font, which looks pretty grainy.
>And is there anything I should know
Try to avoid fighting as much as possible and build a full party asap, Event Rank is a new mechanic tied to Battle Rank which locks you out of quests the more you fight, you must learn how to get around lower stats by looting, forging and completing quests for rewards.
>>3761014
I wouldn't say that Albert's quest is more like a regular JRPG, it is vaguely more bottlenecked at the beginning than other characters but it opens up very fast all the same once you get out of Valhalland with Sif, I'd say it's slightly more story driven than the average MC in Minstrel Song, with Barbara being the one with no story of her own and Albert being somewhat of a story driven, canonical MC for the game given his more personal involvement with Saruin.

I wouldn't suggest to start with him though, Barbara or Claudia are better choices imo, they start in a better location on the map and don't force you to do story quests so you can explore and experiment at your own pace, I'd also add Hawke to that but being locked in the northern archipelago at the beginning might not be good for a beginner, it makes it easy to miss a few starting quests, same with Grey which might be even worse since you have to go through the tunnels to get the Demonbrand before going back, and his own quest is very frustrating.
>>
>>3658010
The downloading... black screen with the information thing stays forever, can't see the cancel button

Maybe my phone is outdated?
>>
>>3762401
You need to put the obb file included in the zip in a subfolder of the Android\obb\ folder or else you'll get that error

So to repeat, it has to be in the Android\obb\(com.SquareEnix.blahblah I forgot the actual folder name) folder on your internal memory.
>>
>>3762418
Thank you so much mate
>>
I swear I will buy a VITA if they release Romancing SaGa 2
>>
>>3762452
>Bought a VITA
>Sony updates it to 3.63
>>
Fffffuck how am I even supposed to avoid enemies with this?

Sadness
>>
>>3762462
>Fffffuck how am I even supposed to avoid enemies with this?
Practically impossible, so enjoy clearing out entire rooms of monsters just to get to your destination
>>
>>3762469
I expect the enemy scaling to ruin me, then
>>
>>3760867
>NG+
How exactly does NG+ work? I don't know much about SaGa but in other games with NG+ I choose to start a fresh file over a NG+ file because the bonuses make you overpowered and make the gameplay less fun. Does NG+ work differently in SaGa?
>>
>>3762521
There are more sidequests available, some bosses power up, and you can fight the strongest bosses in the game like Schirach or full-powered Saruin
>>
>>3762529
I see. Is everything unlocked on the second playthrough or do you need to play through all the characters?
>>
>>3762521
>Does NG+ work differently in SaGa?
Depends on the game.

For Minstrel Song, the only real thing you carry over is the Market Rank, which is this bar that fills up as you spend money which unlocks new things to buy from shops. It makes things easier because e.g you don't have to spend like 50000 gold just to unlock an 8000 gold Plate Armor in NG+ but ultimately you still have to earn the money to buy them.

In MS, every time you complete a quest, you gain Jewels which is what you spend to increase you skill/class levels. Every playthrough on a NG+ increases the multiplier on Jewel gain so a quest that might have given you 100 Jewels in a first playthrough might give you ~150 on your 5th NG+ loop. I think the exact formula has already been figured out but if you want that info, it's on GameFAQs

There's also several characters that can only be recruited on NG+ but they're not really top-tier by any means.
>>
Are there harder rpgs on the SNES than the Romancing SaGas?
>>
>>3762521
Depends on the titles, SaGa doesn't let you carry items or levels but usually lets you carry some things like the Market Rank like in Unlimited or Minstrel Song, Frontier's NG+ gives some party members slightly better equipment or stats iirc, Frontier 2 unlock the free scenario systems in which you can access any scenario at any time, it also lets you keep your learned magic and waza iirc.
Generally, it's nothing gamebreaking except Unlimited, the Market Rank in there is serious business so you can become ridiculously powerful the moment you have access to a shop, so basically instantly, granted you know how to forge and exploit the economy, but it's not really hard if you completed the game to begin with.
Some games also carry some minor things like monster ecology, monster names and also give you slightly increased rewards, in Minstrel Song's case you also get new characters to recruit such as Darque/Aldora who also have their own quest, the new crowned monsters and so on.
>>3762645
Metal Max 2 was pretty hard, not Romancing SaGa 2 hard but you still needed to know how to work around non linearity since unlike SaGa there's no BR to make exploration more feasible, it becomes pretty easy once you know where to look for items and what waits you in a certain zone, some bosses like the U-Shark or Ted Broiler were a pain but unlike SaGa you can still grind without penalties.
>>
File: me.png (1B, 486x500px)
me.png
1B, 486x500px
I'm in full autism mode trying to beat the Spriggan the first time you meet him by learning the Grand Slam evade then running away from him

After like 6 hours I haven't learned it once lmao now I'm realizing you can't learn it
>>
>Dont try to do every single quest in your first playthrough of MS. so you have more to look forward to
>Dont pick Albert first because has a more bottlednecked intro and you'll miss some quest
Well, which is it /SaGa/ general?
Ive yet to see a convincing argument that tells me that Albert isnt one of the better characters to start with for a new player.
>>
>tfw RS3 bokuno will never be in english
>>
>>3765536
You don't have to do every quest, but missing out on the early ones means that you'll be kinda weak, even moreso if you grind first instead of exploring

Characters like Claudia let you get a strong party without grinding and exploring tons without raising your enemy levels
>>
I finished my second playthrough of Romancing SaGa 2, this time with Coppelia as my empress. This time I kept my levels low (HP ~350, skill levels ~20) so the final boss was a real challenge.

If/when I play it again, what should I do to make my playthrough more interesting?
>>
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3765536
>Ive yet to see a convincing argument that tells me that Albert isnt one of the better characters to start with for a new player.
If you want a convincing argument there's really only one you need.
He isn't Barbara, simple as that, there's nothing Albert(or mostly anyone really) can offer that Barbara doesn't do or doesn't do better in Minstrel Song, except for the lack of a true personal quest I guess.
>>3766575
Solo run of course, then there's the Last Emperor VS the World.
The latter might be pretty frustrating because you have to kill everyone until you get to the Last Emperor/Empress, it's also pretty grind heavy but it's interesting in its own right, you should be prepared to skip the Mermaid quest altogether though.
>>
>>3769295
how about, if you pick albert first, you're probably going to miss that armor and the trials of elore anyway because you don't know what you're doing
>>
>>3769295
if you do last emperor vs the world will you end up being able to fight the hardest versions of the seven heroes?

I always wanted to work out what route would piss them off the most and give me the hardest gauntlet of boss fights
>>
>>3769295
>Last Emperor VS the World
That does sounds interesting. Since there are no generational timeskips, would you have access to the 2nd volcano scenario and to the subier scenario if you did that? Or do you miss out on that stuff and have to fight Subier last?

Also you wouldn't be able to research the cross claymore so you'd be forced to use mediocre equipment, and you'd be stuck with imperial cross formation for the whole game (unless you have the android version bonus content).

Anything else unique about that type of playthrough?

>>3769763
I think you just need to fight a ton of battles to fight the seven heroes strongest forms.
>>
>>3769760
>you're probably going to miss that armor and the trials of elore anyway because you don't know what you're doing
Yeah, that's also a good argument, considering how atrocious Albert looks in Minstrel Song it's pretty important to get the armor so he stops looking like a queer butterfly.
>>3769763
I'm not sure about some form triggers for the Heroes, some event routes, like being sold as a slave to Bokuohn, are also class restricted and they might not include the last emperors in the class set, I personally never got too far into that kind of challenge run because it's extremely slow and frustrating, after all you're supposed to be soloing the game with the Last Emperors, even though they come with a Harmonium Armor and a fancy sword there's nothing you can do if you don't have the abilities and stats to progress further, not being able to use formations is also pretty crippling, but you can choose not to solo anyway.
>>3770203
>Since there are no generational timeskips
Actually, there are, but you still keep the Last Emperors as leaders.
>would you have access to the 2nd volcano scenario
Yes, but you can't complete it, same with the Mermaid scenario, since completing them makes your emperor abdicate you just get a game over in this particular run.
>Also you wouldn't be able to research the cross claymore so you'd be forced to use mediocre equipment
Well, luckily your emperors still have pretty good magic power so you can just Bless and spam Crimson Flare or whatever spell you need, it's far more efficient in the endgame unless you want to grind even more.
>Anything else unique about that type of playthrough?
The grind.
Jokes aside, what makes it fairly unique is that you still do get generation shifts, but they're all extremely short, moreover, you're using another hidden mechanic that normally doesn't do much, as you're killing off all characters to force the game to redirect you to the Last Emperor.
>>
I almost shat myself when he came to tease me. Thought I was going to fight him right away
>>
>>3771602
Yeah a solo game sounds super boring, I was thinking of getting the final empress ASAP but still using a full party.

I'm still confused how the generation skips work - usually, whenever there's a "black screen" the game skips forward a couple years and magic research gets completed, but it requires a full 48+ year timeskip for weapons to make it to stores. Are you saying that weapons can get sent to stores during the final emperor's timeskips?
>>
>>3771883
man this was surprisingly easy after casting immolation
>>
>>3772509
Yeah I guess I'll ask him to take me back to land and kill a different hero, so I can face Wagnas' strongest form later (hope I don't regret this)

Also so I can kill the Ice Dragon
>>
>>3771958
>Are you saying that weapons can get sent to stores during the final emperor's timeskips?
Obviously not, the timeskips you get in that kind of run are something like 2 or maybe 4 years at best, you also get less than a normal run for some reason, don't ask me why though, I don't think anybody has the answer to that.
>>3772509
Wagnas' reliance on fire spells or attack is the key to winning, Self Burning makes you immune to heat based attacks until the second part of the spell is triggered, that leaves Wagnas with only Psycho Bind, which can still be devastating if you eat it two times in a row, but as long as you give everyone Self Burning you're set.
Most of the heroes have one particular weakness you can exploit to make the fights easier, the only ones who do not have any apparent specific weakness are Noel, Dantarg and Subier, and both Noel and Dantarg can't do a thing against Wraith Form anyway, so that leaves only Subier as a genuine nuisance, I think RomaSaGa 2 Maelstrom is also the strongest version so far, it can make or break a final boss battle too, more than Psycho Bind or any other signature move, except Soul Steal, but who goes to fight the last battle without the mikiri for that, it's too risky.
>>
>>3773718
Rocbouquet can be exploited with an all female team right?

Also is there any reason to choose the male emperor over the female?
>>
>>3774248
>Rocbouquet can be exploited with an all female team right?
She won't even fight you if your Emperor is female, I believe, except maybe if she's like the last solo hero you fight so the Emperor has to be Male.

But yeah she's easy with 4 females + Emperor wearing the Demonstone Ring.

>Also is there any reason to choose the male emperor over the female?
Higher strength and I think the weapon's better. Bigger Stat numbers seems to increase your damage exponentially so those few points of Str over the Female version makes a difference IMO.

On the other hand, it does use up your Demonstone Ring if you want to bring another Male into the last boss.
>>
>>3774248
>Rocbouquet can be exploited with an all female team right?
Yup, that's her weakness.
>Also is there any reason to choose the male emperor over the female?
It's mostly a matter of stats, the male emperor is built more towards melee while the female empress is a better caster, they also come with different unique greatswords and I vastly prefer the female empress' because fuck yeah Moonshade.
In the SNES version there's a bug in the sparking flags so that you can spark the Holy Light waza on the mace you find in the city of the ancients only with the male emperor, though that has been corrected in the further releases of the game.
>>3774386
>She won't even fight you if your Emperor is female, I believe
That's partly correct in the sense that she won't necessarily fight you in the tower in Eilunep, but she does fight you in the other tower ruins in the jungle of Salamat if you complete the route of her story in the ruins in Eilunep.
In the case you did destroy the stone sentinel before fighting her she also completely disregards you once your emperor tells her they destroyed the sentinel already.
>>
>>3775231
Interesting.
>>
Here's some "tips" for romancing saga 2 that you should NOT read if you haven't played the game because it will make the game way too easy:
- research greatswords in the first three generations to get cross claymores.
- VS rocbouquet: females, molemen, somon ring, demonstone ring. She only kills one person at a time so just heal when necessary.
- VS Wagnas: self-immolation on most characters and status resistance from equipment. Molemen, irises, and nereids get status resist from their gear, plus the kris knife, demonstone ring, etc.
- VS Subier: Firewall
- VS any giant or dragon (except golden and water dragons), the sorcerer on the island, the hive queen, and anyone I'm forgetting: they are susceptible to stun. You can just go first and stun them every turn (with feint for example). If you want to guarantee you go first, use rapid stream formation. If you want to guarantee your stunning attack connects, use mist cover on the person using the stunning move. The rest of your party can wear down the enemy without risk of retaliation.
- Speaking of mist cover, if your whole team is covered (or dead) the last boss won't attack you (at least not prior to the final phase). So you can buff up and get a lot of free damage on the final phase.
- By the way using firewall doesn't end your invisibility
- If you want to get really strong really fast, farm a few dragons. Don't bother grinding against normal enemies.
- use every class of weapon/magic once vs bosses n stuff so you get exp for that weapon/magic
- Use the dragon ruins to learn super powerful techs for your greatsword.
- quicktime and auto-revive are broken as fuck but you shouldn't level high enough for them anyway

>>3775231
If you killed the stone guardian (with a male OR female), when you talk to rocbouquet she will move to the sunken tower where you can kill her.
If you have a male emperor and have not killed the stone guardian you can choose to fight rocbouquet without fighting the stone guardian.
>>
>>3776441
Ha ha, time to hide the thread then.
>>
You know, I just recently realized that Time Lord in SaGa Frontier is probably a homage to Time Lord from Ultima.
A pity that SaGa Frontier 2's localization missed the other reference to Garriot with the Kris Akalabeth being changed to Kris Knife, or maybe they did know and changed it to avoid copyright issues.

Now I wonder just how many Ultima/Wizardry/D&D references or cameos they crammed in the whole series.
>>
File: Character.png (1B, 486x500px)
Character.png
1B, 486x500px
Finally gonna give the original Romancing SaGa a go, who should I pick? And any general tips?
>>
>>3777242
>who should I pick?
Same as Minstrel Song really, there's not much difference and the lack of ER doesn't make things worse. All but Aisha start from decent to strong.
>any general tips?
Don't get too angry at the absurd amount of enemies, the game is also quite a bit more grindy and clunky than the remake and some design elements are a bit hard to swallow nowadays, like having waza locked to single weapons, thank god they realized it was a terrible idea, get magic ASAP because it saves a lot of time and frustration.

Other than these I don't really know much else, I've only played Hawke's story years ago and don't really want to meddle with it any longer, it's that one SaGa game together with GB SaGa 3 that I really can't go back playing.
>>
>>3777259

Thanks for the tips, I never tried Gray in MS so I'll probably start as him.
>>
File: what.png (1B, 486x500px)
what.png
1B, 486x500px
Oh fuck
>>
>>3778743
See what I meant about not getting too mad at encounters?
They really didn't think that through at the time.
>>
I bought and i'm playing romacing saga 2 any tips?
>>
>>3779630
If you've payed a SaGa game before, no tips necessary. Don't worry and definitely don't savescum, you'll be fine.
>>
>>3779653
I find that when I play rpgs I save a ton but for some reason never save scum/reload those saves whatsoever
>>
>>3779657
it's usually just useful in case
>>
>>3779630
"Smart"phones and tablets (normie devices) are the LEAST authentic way to do retrogaming.
>>
>>3781160
So you wait for the Vita version or what?
>>
>>3781264
>So you wait for the Vita version or what?

1993 version + translation patch + Higan + curved CRT monitor

If you insist on playing on handheld (this will ruin your posture, eyesight, and social awareness) then emulate on PSP.
>>
File: come.png (1B, 486x500px)
come.png
1B, 486x500px
>>3781160
>>3781314
People play this game because it's pretty fucking amazing despite being 24 years old, not expecting some kind of retro experience
>>
>>3760420
it's too bad aeon genesis died
>>
>>3781580
virtue signaling on twitter is hard work, you think he has time to translate games now that LITERALLY HITLER is president?
>>
>>3781692
I know you're joking but let's stop with this meme that he actually translated games
>>
In SaGa Frontier is there a final chapter like Live A Live or can I start some storylines in one save and finish the rest on another save and be fine?
>>
>>3782110
There is a master file, route all your files to that master file. There really isn't a final chapter, just a massive developer area in which you can talk to a lot of the NPC's which the developers talk to you through and you can fight all the final bosses on the last file you beat the game with.
>>
>>3779630
Don't fight too much, save often on separate files, use and invest on magic.
>>3781314
>Higan
Almost got me.
>>3782110
Yeah, there's the developer room for you to play with but no final chapter like LaL, all the stories are self contained with no collective finale.
As long as you keep updating your system data you're fine though so don't worry.
>>
>Kawazu opened up his twitter profile as a place to put suggestions and feedback over the games
>People start talking about Scarlet Grace
>90% of the comments are about implementing quality of life improvements like fast travel, soft reset and fixing dubios event flags and bugs
>A few guys saying that If they can shorten loading times a bit it would be great but it's not a major problem
>No one complains about FPS drops or the graphics
>Everyone thanks Kawazu and the team and tell him how much sleep they're losing over the game or how much the game reminds them of the old ones
>If there was DLC in the future, people wanted the supposedly cut MCs to get their own storylines
>People saying that the handicap of having slight bonuses on a retry wasn't necessary and the game should be more difficult
>Give us stronger enemies!
>Give us the content you couldn't fit in before release!

Damn, japanese fans have their priorities straight, gameplay first of all, I'm impressed.

Let's hope this activity brings some more SaGa soon, maybe our dream of a worthy Frontier remake will be granted after all.
>>
>>3783678
Let him know we want an English release
>>
File: temp2.png (1B, 486x500px)
temp2.png
1B, 486x500px
>Final Fantasy Legend
>Basically the top of the tower
>Find a bunch of bad-ass equipment
>Half of it comes from a dead person, someone who is about to die, or next to a diary of other awful shit that went down before you people showed up
>Translators took out the scariest parts
>Most of the enemies are Wights or some other form of undead, subtley implying I'm next in line to join them
>Despite jacked stats and a guide, the inventory limit, lack of curatives (because of said limit) and punishment for death ensure that I'm always limping from one location to the next

Is this immersion, or just sadism? The extreme difficulty does seem to augment the feeling of helplessness. At least having a guide handy allowed me to beat this fucker, over a decade after I gave up the first time
>>
>>3783758
If I had a twitter profile I would.
>>3784309
>Is this immersion, or just sadism
I think it's both.
I personally like how the gameplay is part of the game's narrative context.
>>
I just killed Boukohn but I didn't get a time skip, what gives?
>>
>>3786325

Someone else can probably explain it far better but there's some kind of point system that determines whether you get a time skip or not, I'm pretty sure it's possible to beat multiple of the Seven Heroes without getting one.
>>
>>3786325
You probably didn't complete enough quests to get one. As>>3787313 says each quest gives you points in a system that, together with the number of battles fought since the beginning of a generation shift, determines when you get a shift.
>>
>>3787909
weird
>>
>>3789029
Don't worry, afaik nobody really has any precise idea of how that works.
>>
>>3789981
The only english information about this stuff is hidden in seemingly unrelated gamefaqs threads, but I think this explains everything:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588633-romancing-saga-2/44052052?page=2
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588633-romancing-saga-2/44052052?page=3
>>
On the subject of SaGa 1, I'm doing my first playthrough and while at the third world I decided to take a detour, started a new file, and tried to do an all-monster party at least through world one. Things went fine, I picked Redbull and three Albatross and quickly ended up with two rat men and an oni. Got the three items but then genbu fucks my shit. I tried 5 times and only one once, with the result being that the oni was the only one left.

I guess my question is, can you do it better than that? I imagine that you can, but I don't know a ton about the monster combos available in world 1.
>>
>>3791202
*won

I should say that I'm playing the WS remake with an english translation patch. Success seems pointed on whether genbu kills the oni or the redbull first. Ratmen don't seem to do too much in this fight unfortunately.
>>
>>3790310
Neat.
I'm gonna look at those JP links this weekend,
>>
>>3779145
If you understand the relative speed of your character and the enemies and learn how to fake out the enemies than it isn't too hard to avoid them.

If you understand these mechanics you can cut down the encounter rate by half or even by seventy five percent
>>
>>3791202
I don't know how the WS version handles monster transformation, but in the Game Boy version it will round up if it can't find the type it's looking for. Eating the right combination of meat can give you endgame monsters in world 1 (there's even a guide on GameFAQs for it).

In that guide, Oni are considered very good for World 1, and you should try for more of them.
>>
>>3792243
>If you understand these mechanics you can cut down the encounter rate by half or even by seventy five percent
Sure, upload a webm showing how you can cut down encounters by "75 percent" in the sewers in Melvir or Estamir, in the Ligau tunnels, then I'll believe you.
>>
>>3791202
never thought about an all-monster run
>>
Hey everybody I'm white, with that out of the way ...

Are there translations for the gameboy saga games I need to know about or can you just play them without the fear of knowing it's inferior?
>>
File: 1432199013785.gif (2MB, 350x266px) Image search: [Google]
1432199013785.gif
2MB, 350x266px
>>3795121
>Hey everybody I'm white
What the fuck is this supposed to mean?

And yeah the GB SaGa games were localized, rather badly, back in the days, the WSC SaGa 1 remake also has an ENG patch so get it if the GB game looks too retro for you, the DS remakes for SaGa 2/3 also have translation patches which are better than the localized GB version unless you really like bananas.
>>
>>3795879
I know what I am and I'm trying to be non-threatening.

How different are the DS remakes?
>>
>>3760420
Need help from a musically inclined anon. How would I go about playing the song that plays during the opening on PS2 Minstrel Song on a guitar.
>>
>>3795917
>I'm trying to be non-threatening.
Is this some kind of /v/-/pol/ meme I'm not aware of? Anyway, suit yourself.

The DS remake for 2 adds quite a few mechanics and content while keeping the core gameplay the same, the DS remake for 3 is almost a complete overhaul that still keeps some core elements but fits them into a proper SaGa ruleset, which is good since the original 3 was the black sheep of the series due to Kawazu not working on it.

You can handily play both versions as they're pretty short games, if the original doesn't click try the remake.
>>
>Scarlet Grace will never be available in English

It really fucking hurts.
>>
I'm going to start playing Romancing SaGa 3. Any tips or things that I should know?
>>
>>3798306
The series never did well in here besides the GB trilogy, every other game got low sales and negative reviews, I'm still surprised they localized the Android/iOS remaster of RomaSaGa 2, but considering it probably costed next to nothing it kinda makes sense.

I'd say wait it out a little bit more, Kawazu seems likely to pull a 1.10 version this time considering he asked for user feedback and people wanted more content and adjustments besides fixing glitches, maybe they will localize it with all the fixes and possible new content, Vita is surprisingly getting quite a lot of localizations.
>>3798754
If you play as Harid don't ask for money or other rewards in the beginning as it locks you out of a few quests due to his Greed score, I suggest you to go complete the Professor's early pet hunt quest and the Frozen Lake quest with Ward as fast as possible just to make sure you don't lose access to them.
Commander Mode is also pretty great in the beginning of the game, it's pretty great in general really but you need to know how to use it efficiently.
>>
>>3799636
coulda had a bigger cult base if any of the snes had come out
>>
>>3799636
I hope we get Romancing Saga 2 for the Vita.

I'd purchase a Vita just for that desu
>>
>>3800696
I agree, but in the end it didn't happen.
I personally think SaGa should stop coming out together with other bigger games, I feel that's also a reason why it became something of an underdog in the last two decades, almost all SaGa game starting with Frontier came out more or less at the same time of a FF, hell, Scarlet came out two weeks later than FFXV.
>>
>>3801448
me too
>>
>>3801448
>Not having a Vita already
Just the fact that SaGa has been hinted on that for the west a bunch is just icing on the cake for me.
>>
File: 2016-12-16-100258.jpg (140KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-16-100258.jpg
140KB, 960x544px
>>3801448
Vita is the official SaGa machine.
Just you wait until emulation gets better and you'll have anything but Unlimited and Minstrel Song on it.
>>
>>3804473
What color is your Vita?
>>
>>3804489
The old black 1000 model.
I was tempted to buy one of these cool limited edition Vita with the Scarlet Grace decals but they're all new 2000 models with that awful LCD display, maybe I'll get one later on, I'm pretty sure some scalpers got a few extra models.
>>
The person who translated RS1 is working on a translation of RS3.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,23611.0.html
>>
>>3805787
That's nice, I don't know much about the translation of the first RomaSaGa but anything's better than Manasword's at this point.
>>
File: 58998582_p2_master1200.jpg (393KB, 551x816px) Image search: [Google]
58998582_p2_master1200.jpg
393KB, 551x816px
Dead thread is dead
>>
>>3805787
Translations don't fear the reaper, nor do wind, the sun or the rain....
>>
File: 18925979_p1_master1200.jpg (331KB, 1200x811px) Image search: [Google]
18925979_p1_master1200.jpg
331KB, 1200x811px
Of all the things, I'd never thought someone would do a Toriyama short of RomaSaGa 3
>>
File: 18925979_p2_master1200.jpg (399KB, 1200x945px) Image search: [Google]
18925979_p2_master1200.jpg
399KB, 1200x945px
But yeah, Nina could move the boulder alone, that's pretty badass for a random girl now that I think about it.
>>
>>3761993
>though there's some graphical glitches with the speech bubbles like pic related for some reason

that's a 2d meshing issue that you can usually fix after toggling some stuff. typically 2d filtering options since the lines are from the boxes being overfiltered and not lining up.
>>
How possible is a Minstrel Song playthrough without relying on guides? I don't mind looking up stuff about mechanics and all that but I'm kind of in the mood to do my first playthrough completely blind.
>>
>>3810825
Are you willing to restart if you are screwed? Then highly possible. I did it without any guides at all, just took me a bit to chip away at it until it clicked.

Hell I did the same thing with Unlimited Saga.
>>
>>3810825
You'll probably die a ton from stumbling into high level enemies often but it's doable. Just pay attention to quests you find and save often. and rotate saves
>>
>>3810825
As long as you don't mind the possibility of restarting a few times it's absolutely possible, it's no Wizardry IV.
Besides, you can always talk to the kids in the towns to get some explanation about most of the mechanics.
>>
Well, now that I'm reaching the end of my fourth playthrough, Scarlet really makes it evident that The Last Remnant is officially part of the SaGa family, I'm pretty sure I saw the vast majority of the weapon trees by now, besides the five elemental weapons which are a bit hard to collect, 90% of the weapons are from TLR, albeit with different colours sometimes and with different names I guess.
It's a bit jarring though, most of them don't really fit in the game's aesthetic and the sharp contrast with some Minstrel Song monsters is also undeniable.
It's good to see a game with so many different weapon models though, the new Ice Sword looks pretty great too.
>>
>>3812224
Unique models are good and cool
>>
I'm going to play SaGa 2 for the first time soon, are there any weird unintuitive mechanics in it that I need to know about? Or is it pretty much the same as SaGa 1?
>>
>>3814174
not really intuitive but it does have a decent few changes. Also if you're playing the DS remake you can combo by using an item added to the ds version. If you ever combo you actually change the final boss
>>
>>3814174
robots power up stats through equipment, and can replenish weapon uses through inns
>>
>>3814164
Most of the models are really well done, the slight adjustments they did to Minstrel Song's monsters are pretty nice and most new monsters like the Vodianoi and the frog soldiers are definitely well done.
I just wish they'd slightly retouch some characters, Chago's gown for instance is noticeably rushed compared to other characters like Antonius or Francis who also have long dresses. Here's hoping the eventual patch addresses those problems too.
I'd really like to see another game with this aesthetic though, considering it's done on Unity by a ragtag group of young employees it's not half bad, with some more time and experience they could do great stuff.
>>3814174
Not really, SaGa 2 is more of the same with a new race, more content and more polish, Regarding mechs though, each time you equip a weapon on them the durability is cut by half of its current value, that means that if you unequip and reequip something its already diminished value gets cut further to a minimum of 1 durability, which is a nice exploit for martial arts but terrible for everything else so be careful, the DS remake corrects that oversight, humans also can't buy stat enhancing items anymore.
>>3814504
The Gattai for LDS in SaGa 2 DS was a pretty cool addition in terms of new content.
>>
File: 1472998646350.png (356KB, 662x616px) Image search: [Google]
1472998646350.png
356KB, 662x616px
Battle 1, 2, 3 or 4?
>>
>>3817149
4>1>2=3
>>
File: CztQ_7hUkAAcysk.jpg (175KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CztQ_7hUkAAcysk.jpg
175KB, 900x1200px
>tfw can't play poker with SaGa cards
>>
Seems there are new updates for Bokuno and I guess Aabeta at the usual place if the people who are playing the mods here are interested,
>>
>>3818112
I'm sad now
>>
File: C0flNxdUcAAz46c.jpg (177KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C0flNxdUcAAz46c.jpg
177KB, 900x1200px
>>3821369
The cards are actually not hard to get, you just need to get yourself a midare retsugekka box for Scarlet Grace and I saw they're still available on Play Asia.
If you want to go to the SaGa cafes or exhibitions though, that would be slightly more costly.
>>
>>3822309
I'll think about it
>>
Bump for inactivity
>>
What's another good SaGa game to play after SaGa Frontier? Also what is the difficulty of the games from easiest to hardest
>>
>>3825254
hard to make direct comparisons in series to me, maybe you'll get a kick out of unlimited if you can get past the presentation and mechanics, or minstrel song, or of course frontier 2, but they are all kind of different games
>>
>>3825254
I agree with>>3826182
It's hard to make a suggestion because all the games are different, if you liked the racial system and different worlds scenario you can try the GB SaGa trilogy, but they're still different from Frontier even though the DS remakes add some more meat to the mechanics to make them a bit more similar, Unlimited also has a fairly exotic cast and setting but even though there's a mech or two it's not really sci-fi like Frontier and it's a vastly different game in terms of mechanics.
Naturally you can try Frontier 2 but you should keep in mind that it's a Frontier in name only, it is wildly different from the first in basically everything but elaborating on some things like the combo system introduced in Frontier.

In terms of general difficulty, I'd say they're more or less like this, from hardest to easiest:

RomaSaGa2>Unlimited>Scarlet Grace>Minstrel Song>Frontier 2>RomaSaGa>Frontier=RomaSaGa3>SaGa2 DS=SaGa3 DS>SaGa 2>SaGa>SaGa3

This is just my personal opinion anyway, and all SaGa games usually have a gimmick or two that can severely tone down difficulty once you learn them so, but some games are more demanding and ruthless than others, Unlimited in particular is not especially hard but it's pretty much unique in almost everything it does so you need to spend some time to get accustomed to the game in the first place.
>>
>>3825254
I feel like SaGa 2 on DS is a good jump after frontier. It's more guided but has a lot of the same systems frontier had and the ds version adds comboing.
>>
>>3827273
I was about to say I found Minstrel Song harder than Unlimited since it seems that in Unlimited it is mostly grappling with its mechanics and you breaking yourself from thinking a certain way in how a RPG "should" play.
>>
>>3827662
Minstrel Song has easier power strategies, like snare/shock/paralyse/stun, and literally every boss in the game having the exact same achilles tendon. NO, I will NOT stop making this pun!
>>
>>3827273
so where would you put tlr
>>
I really want to play TLR eventually but my laptop is shit and I probably won't be getting a new computer any time soon. Is the 360 version as bad as I heard it is?
>>
>>3829714
Yes
>>
>>3829297
TLR is like football or something. There's a lot of grinding for stat points and monster parts for weapons and spell levels to unlock new spells. It's mostly grinding. Just fighting a lot of shit over and over. Hunt X monster for X part to get X upgrade on this character's weapon tree or they suck. You look up all this shit on wikipedia because only X monster spawns in X location with this item but you go to a different location and the same monster doesn't have X item.

Then you need to do guild quests to unlock licenses to do guild quests so you can get magazines about monster genitals so you can get the parts to make the next axe because you can only make the best axe from other axes, but if one of the license quests requires you to kill a certain monster it might only spawn in one location only 1/8 of the times you visit and if you walk into it at the same time as you initiate combat with another monster it might create a chain battle at the same time as a pseudo boss monster flag check or something and delete the monster icon without giving you the credit for fighting it, and it doesn't respawn so now your weird catfish guy friend can't get the final upgrade on his weapon tree because you can't get the sorrowful tears of some godless abomination

The PC version is the only way to go.
>>
>>3829754
That's what I thought. Maybe someday.
>>
New player and had a question not answered by the paste bin.

I'm interested in playing the game boy games however i'm wondering what's the best version. Should I play the original English releases, the final fantasy legends games, or is there a retranslation that is recommended? I know there is a gba remake of the first game but I hear mixed things about it.
>>
>>3830205
all the versions are good

are you an english speaking person? play the gameboy games then

there's nothing wrong with the final fantasy legends translation
>>
>>3830752
bananas are a cute quirk
>>
>>3827662
As as I said, Unlimited is not really that hard, it's just harder to get into it than other titles, even Minstrel Song is easier to get into than Unlimited.
In terms of difficulty, I'm not sure I'd put Minstrel Song over Unlimited, the gameplay is richer and more nuanced than Unlimited for most things but it also gives you many more ways to get around obstacles than Unlimited and I'd say most fights are easier than Unlimited with a few exceptions.
But again, this is my own view on the matter, honestly, I'm tempted to put Scarlet Grace over Unlimited too but as it is now there's one specific tactic that really unbalances an otherwise perfect game, it's not the most functional or truly effective one and abusing it too much definitely screws you up big time, but it does it's job if you want to cheese most things.
>>3829297
I'd say TLR is more or less on the same level as Minstrel Song, if not a bit lower even. The great mistake made in TLR is explained perfectly by this Anon's post>>3830067, too much grind for anything, by the time you're done getting that Smiter or Superlative demonblade you've grinded so fucking much for ingredients you're not only strong as fuck but probably bored to tears as well, that was a huge mistake imo, SaGa games didn't require you so much mandatory grind just for a weapon upgrade, it's like grinding for Mullock(7) for every little thing.
>>3829714
Technically speaking there's some texture pops and FPS problems, the PC version also has some rebalancing in mechanics and extra content.
>>3830205
For SaGa1, play the WSC remake as it's basically a bugfix with a new layer of paint, SaGa 2 and 3 have DS remakes which add a lot of stuff to the core gameplay while also changing the graphics and aesthetic considerably, they also have better translations.
Personally I'd only skip GB SaGa 3 entirely, because it's the black sheep of the series and the DS remake turns it into a real SaGa game.
>>
File: SaGaMH.png (899KB, 1033x577px) Image search: [Google]
SaGaMH.png
899KB, 1033x577px
So, Imperial SaGa made a crossover with SaGa Frontier and Monster Hunter Frontier Z.

What if they add SaGa Frontier costumes in Monster Hunter Frontier?
>>
>>3832305
I can dream
>>
Still not one word regarding the Vita localization of Romancing SaGa 2.
Man, I really hope this doesn't stay in localization limbo.
>>
>>3832305
T260G looks pretty
>>
>>3834434
It better.

I'm doing the series in production order and I just finished RS1 so I'm waiting for the Vita version to come out to continue things.
>>
I just started SaGa Frontier for the first time. I picked Red to start with. We got in a car crash, I became a superhero, then suddenly I was on an airship where nobody wants to talk to me, then I was in a casino and beat up some guys in a parking lot.

Does this game ever actually tell you what is happening? Or is it all just between the lines? Because right now nobody seems to have any personality other than Red and his "fuck BlackX" and that isn't much to go off on
>>
>>3835204
does anybody ever tell you what's happening irl?
>>
>>3835207
Generally, I mean like if I'm at work and my boss wants me to work on a project he'll outline his expectations to me. Nobody on the airship tells me anything we just keep landing places and doing things for some reason?
>>
>>3835204
>Does this game ever actually tell you what is happening?
Do you ever actually read dialogues?
>Or is it all just between the lines?
What is there to read between lines?
Red's family has been killed by an evil organization for pretty evident reasons, he gets turned into a super hero and has to protect his identity, then Hawk adopts him and he uses what little time he has when he isn't working on the Cygnus to chase Black Cross members, it's an average Sentai plot.
Considering you're still in the prologue too I don't know what you'd expect, SaGa games aren't heavy on on their scripts either.
Keep playing and the story will unfold, there's a few twists at some points too compared to other stories.
>Nobody on the airship tells me anything we just keep landing places and doing things for some reason?
I see you've been conditioned by years of shitty writing where characters have to remind you every five minutes what are you going to do, where you're going, with who, why, their childhood traumas related to the events happening at hand or not and whatever else, SaGa doesn't work like that, if you don't follow the story and use your brain a little you won't understand what's going on because the characters and their story happen directly on the screen, no written explanation on what's happening right in front of your eyes either.
But to repeat myself, Red's using his work on the Cygnus as a chance to hunt down Black Cross members around regions, do you really need him to remind you that every time you have a chance to get off the Cygnus?
Later on you'll get off the Cygnus permanently and if you want to continue with the main quest you'll have to manually explore and talk to people with no indications at all, the Cygnus segment is actually handholding you in terms of game progression.
>>
>>3835757
Also, to further expand on Red's story, his prologue, and most of his story really, are meant to play like a super sentai show in a game formula, especially the prologue on the Cygnus, it is meant to play as a somewhat episodic show with the monster of the week format and almost self contained adventures, after you get off the Cygnus it becomes a bit more focused on the general plot as you'll encounter various other characters and fight the four heavenly generals of Black Cross in a decisive battle.
When you'll finish the game and see the ending it will become pretty blatant, especially with the ending FMV sequence which is basically a next season preview of an imaginary Sentai show.
You should also know that Alkaiser is basically Kamen Rider in the Frontier universe, the little girl inside Tanzer for instance is a huge Alkaiser fan, you're basically playing through a Sentai show in game form, but without a narrator.
>>
>>3835225
but that person who goes to work and does what they're told and upholds their contract with society is never going to be a hero

you're gonna eat but you won't discover something new or go on adventures or change the world you live in, you'll just succeed at being part of it while others born into a different station push you around
>>
>>3835852
Guess I'll just keeping playing blind and see where it goes. At least the battle system is pretty fun
>>
>>3835864
Now you're getting it~

Half the fun is not knowing where to go or what's happening next.
>>
>>3835909
Is there anything I should know about the other characters before I jump into their stories? Red was the only one I knew anything about prior since the game was originally recommended to me when I asked for Kamen Rider style games
>>
>>3835918
Don't play Riki, Assellus, or Lute until you get into the game a bit more.

Assellus' game is pretty much just a boss gauntlet while you run around trying to be strong enough not to die the next time a story encounter happens.

Riki has by far the worst casual filters and the hardest and longest story overall.

Lute is basically wander around, find pirate, get the opportunity to wander around a bit, then if you talk to the pirate again you're in the final dungeon. You can probably get to his final boss in less than 30 minutes and it will annihilate you if you try to do that.

T260G is enjoyed by almost everybody, Blue is extremely powerful with a relatively easy storyline, Emelia is kind of average in everything and gets her feet wet everywhere aside form not being able to use mecs, but that flexibility and predictable story-flow (she actually gets "missions" and a pretty sizable allowance from her boss) is what makes her enjoyable.
>>
>>3835918
Emilia is basically a fun Charlie's Angel parody mixed with some thriller elements, two different endings, pretty easy quest overall due to having a pretty strong cast, it also has a pretty dense amount of lore that ties onto Lute's quest, the prison in Despair, some stuff about IRPO and more.

Asellus is kind of Utena mixed with CUTE LESBIAN HALF VAMPIRES'N SHIET, she also has three different endings, Mystic heavy quest and a bit hard to manage, especially if you want to aim for a certain ending, the lore is more or less self contained and focused on the region of Facinaturu.

T260G is the story of a mysterious mech rebuilt from scrap parts that gets adopted by two kids in a Region in the middle of nowhere, you set out with Gen, the alcoholic samurai form Wakatsu, to recover T260G memory and directives and end up in a pretty cool Sci Fi adventure with some light transhumanist elements and a pretty damn cool final battle, mech heavy quest and pretty easy if you learn how to use mechs. The lore is pretty much self contained but has a few unique regions you can explore, some info on Scrap, Manhattan and Trinity.

Blue's story is all about Magic, his quest is learning all magic and fighting his twin brother in order to become the ultimate magician for some deeper purpose tied to his region, the Magic Kingdom. The lore here is focused on the Magic Kingdom and is also subtly tied into Coon's quest.

Coon/Riki's quest makes you search seven magic rings to save Coon's region, Margmel, from dying, monster heavy quest and maybe the hardest in the game, pretty tough final boss too. Pretty focused lore overall.

Lute's quest is, basically none, he just gets out of his region, Yorkland, because his mother threw him out of home, eventually you'll meet with a certain character that will give Lute a bit of background that ties into the general lore and Mondo, another key character that also appears in Emilia's quest, this quest also gives a bit more screentime to Gen.
>>
>>3835946
Anon if playing blind is part of the appeal why are you telling him this stuff

Going in with expectations or a per-conceived understanding of the character's plot is only going to make it more boring or unintentionally road map him as he plays and tries to figure out the plot.

Your hype game is weak.
>>
>>3835954
You're right, It's just that I really like the game so I get too hyped myself when talking about it.
I should have refrained from posting most of that stuff.
>>
>>3835941
>Riki
>"Wanna fight us right at the start of the game?"
>"Sure."
>Lv2 Combo
>Defeated
>>
>>3835954
Most of the stuff is either extremely apparent or mentioned in the manual anyway, just elaborated a bit.
>>
>>3835986
The pink lummox girls can combo you?
Never happened to me.
>>
>>3835969
it's okay I used to do the same thing until I talked to a good natured chap who was spoiling Undertale unintentionally

I was like well hold on, they surely designed these games to be experienced as you play them, not by anecdote and youtube video.
>>
File: T260G_Frontier.jpg (145KB, 1028x580px) Image search: [Google]
T260G_Frontier.jpg
145KB, 1028x580px
>>3834584
Don't know much about Frontier's monsters, but here's T260G card.
Tried my luck with the Gacha for shit and giggles and of course I didnt get any of those MH cards.
>>
File: Asellus_Rathian.jpg (147KB, 1027x574px) Image search: [Google]
Asellus_Rathian.jpg
147KB, 1027x574px
Asellus is a Gunlance fag, who would have thought?
>>
File: Red_Rathalos.jpg (147KB, 1029x580px) Image search: [Google]
Red_Rathalos.jpg
147KB, 1029x580px
And of course Red is a GS fag.
Though it's pretty cute he and Asellus are Rathalos and Rathian.
>>
File: Lute_HH.jpg (153KB, 1030x579px) Image search: [Google]
Lute_HH.jpg
153KB, 1030x579px
Don't know what monster Lute got, but he mains HH, unsurprisingly.
>>
File: Emilia_Kirin.jpg (154KB, 1028x580px) Image search: [Google]
Emilia_Kirin.jpg
154KB, 1028x580px
Naturally, Emilia got the Kirin armor with the DS.
>>
File: Coon_Something.jpg (145KB, 1030x581px) Image search: [Google]
Coon_Something.jpg
145KB, 1030x581px
Don't know what monster they used for Riki.
>>
File: Blue_something.jpg (148KB, 1028x580px) Image search: [Google]
Blue_something.jpg
148KB, 1028x580px
And this is Blue's card, again, I don't know which monster they used for him, by the spikes I guess that's Raviente.
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.